From: CUTjeffrey_blakeney@yahoo.ca (Jeff Blakeney)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Re: Typo in ProDOS refTechMan
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 07:54:37 -0400
 by: Jeff Blakeney - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 11:54 UTC

On 2023-08-24 2:06 a.m., Jerry Penner wrote:
> Colin Leroy-Mira <colin@colino.net> writes:
>
> The P8 tech-ref states:

> SYSCALL JSR MLI ;Call Command Dispatcher
> DB CMDNUM ;This determines which call is being made
> DW CMDLIST ;A two-byte pointer to the parameter list
> BNE ERROR ;Error if nonzero
>
> Upon completion of the call, the MLI returns to the address of the
> JSR plus 3 (in the above example, the BNE statement); the call
> number and parameter list pointer are skipped.
>
> Where the CPU returns to is 6 bytes past the label SYSCALL, which is the
> location of the "BNE ERROR" instruction.
>
> I think I always read and understood the book the way I think Oliver
> does, but I think the book's address arithmetic is wrong, looking at it
> now.

As far as I remember my 6502 assembly, when you do a JSR, the processor
has already read the JSR byte and the two byte address so the PC is
pointing at the DB CMDNUM statement and that is what is pushed on the
stack. The MLI pulls that address off the stack, adds 3 to it, pushes
it back on the stack and does an RTS so that the BNE ERROR statement
will get executed.

In other words, the SYSCALL is the address of the JSR but it isn't the
address that gets pushed onto the stack when the JSR is executed.

Re: Typo in ProDOS refTechMan

<uc7hcp$3f3vg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5498&group=comp.sys.apple2#5498

From: CUTjeffrey_blakeney@yahoo.ca (Jeff Blakeney)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 08:11:06 -0400
 by: Jeff Blakeney - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 12:11 UTC

On 2023-08-24 7:54 a.m., Jeff Blakeney wrote:
> On 2023-08-24 2:06 a.m., Jerry Penner wrote:
>> Colin Leroy-Mira <colin@colino.net> writes:
>>
>> The P8 tech-ref states:

>> SYSCALL  JSR MLI       ;Call Command Dispatcher
>>           DB CMDNUM     ;This determines which call is being made
>>           DW CMDLIST    ;A two-byte pointer to the parameter list
>>           BNE ERROR     ;Error if nonzero
>>
>>        Upon completion of the call, the MLI returns to the address of the
>>        JSR plus 3 (in the above example, the BNE statement); the call
>>        number and parameter list pointer are skipped.
>>
>> Where the CPU returns to is 6 bytes past the label SYSCALL, which is the
>> location of the "BNE ERROR" instruction.
>>
>> I think I always read and understood the book the way I think Oliver
>> does, but I think the book's address arithmetic is wrong, looking at it
>> now.
>
> As far as I remember my 6502 assembly, when you do a JSR, the processor
> has already read the JSR byte and the two byte address so the PC is
> pointing at the DB CMDNUM statement and that is what is pushed on the
> stack.  The MLI pulls that address off the stack, adds 3 to it, pushes
> it back on the stack and does an RTS so that the BNE ERROR statement
> will get executed.
>
> In other words, the SYSCALL is the address of the JSR but it isn't the
> address that gets pushed onto the stack when the JSR is executed.

It has been a while since I posted to usenet but I'm not sure why this
ended up in the wrong newsgroups. Sorry about that everyone.