Mausoleum: The final and funniest folly of the rich. -- Ambrose Bierce

computers / comp.sys.unisys / Re: MCP Express

SubjectAuthor
* MCP ExpressTim Lank
`* MCP Expressramseyhere
 `- MCP Expressramseyhere

1
Re: MCP Express

<6155c5cf-7e62-445e-bf95-4b8fb621ff6dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=550&group=comp.sys.unisys#550

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 11:02:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: MCP Express
From: timlank@timlank.com (Tim Lank)
 by: Tim Lank - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:02 UTC

On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 4:01:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> > > My understanding is that the MCP Express program is being discontinued,
> > > and that no further releases or updates are planned. The only
> > > alternative appears to be purchasing a license for Developer Studio
> > > Personal Edition.
> > >
> > > Paul
> > I've not seen any formal announcement, but I believe what Paul says to be true. The 5-month extension was purely that - allowing some time to migrate to a paid solution.
> >
> > It is a very disappointing move. The ability for students - or aged ethusiasts like myself - to have their own free "MCP playground" was a wonderful thing. But I suppose it is a financial decision: I doubt there is any direct benefit to Unisys aside from goodwill, and maybe the prospect of a potential sale somewhere down the line. But that has surely always been the case with this product, so it would be good to understand the reasoning behind the move.
> >
> > RIP MCP-XE
> I have contacted Unisys about acquiring Developer Studio Personal Edition, and
> the following was their response:
>
> The personal edition is aimed at contractors and independent developers for our platform.
> The cost is about 20k euro for a 5 years license to support their business.
> It is not really intended for personal use and we need a company to register the product to.
> Please let me know if you want to use it for business use.
>
> THEY NEED A COMPANY TO REGISTER THE PRODUCT TO!!!
>
> Einar

I too contacted Unisys through a reseller and was quoted the following here in the U.S. for ClearPath MCP Developer Studio Personal Edition - System Type: DE1002

Software: ~$6000
Support for 5 years: ~$2500
Licensing for 5 years: ~$2500
Total: ~$11,000

Unisys will only sell to companies - and no credit cards or personal checks

-Tim

Re: MCP Express

<cdc659a3-f912-476d-a899-ee4a51f4ae89n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=551&group=comp.sys.unisys#551

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 18:56:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: ramseyle@gmail.com (ramseyhere)
 by: ramseyhere - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 01:56 UTC

On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 2:02:40 PM UTC-4, Tim Lank wrote:

> > > I've not seen any formal announcement, but I believe what Paul says to be true. The 5-month extension was purely that - allowing some time to migrate to a paid solution.
> > >
> > > It is a very disappointing move. The ability for students - or aged ethusiasts like myself - to have their own free "MCP playground" was a wonderful thing. But I suppose it is a financial decision: I doubt there is any direct benefit to Unisys aside from goodwill, and maybe the prospect of a potential sale somewhere down the line. But that has surely always been the case with this product, so it would be good to understand the reasoning behind the move.
> > >
> > > RIP MCP-XE
> > I have contacted Unisys about acquiring Developer Studio Personal Edition, and
> > the following was their response:
> >
> > The personal edition is aimed at contractors and independent developers for our platform.
> > The cost is about 20k euro for a 5 years license to support their business.
> > It is not really intended for personal use and we need a company to register the product to.
> > Please let me know if you want to use it for business use.
> >
> > THEY NEED A COMPANY TO REGISTER THE PRODUCT TO!!!
> >
> > Einar
> I too contacted Unisys through a reseller and was quoted the following here in the U.S. for ClearPath MCP Developer Studio Personal Edition - System Type: DE1002
>
> Software: ~$6000
> Support for 5 years: ~$2500
> Licensing for 5 years: ~$2500
> Total: ~$11,000
>
> Unisys will only sell to companies - and no credit cards or personal checks
>
> -Tim
So, would those interested in purchasing a MCP DevStudio License be willing to be paired up with a VAR/Reseller in order to get a license. Part of the issue is the overhead of creating accounts for individuals to buy something from the company.

Re: MCP Express

<b088c85c-939c-4204-b709-d2c11a103e9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=554&group=comp.sys.unisys#554

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 21:01:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: ramseyle@gmail.com (ramseyhere)
 by: ramseyhere - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 04:01 UTC

On Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 9:56:57 PM UTC-4, ramseyhere wrote:
> On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 2:02:40 PM UTC-4, Tim Lank wrote:

> > > I have contacted Unisys about acquiring Developer Studio Personal Edition, and
> > > the following was their response:
> > >
> > > The personal edition is aimed at contractors and independent developers for our platform.
> > > The cost is about 20k euro for a 5 years license to support their business.
> > > It is not really intended for personal use and we need a company to register the product to.
> > > Please let me know if you want to use it for business use.
> > >
> > > THEY NEED A COMPANY TO REGISTER THE PRODUCT TO!!!
> > >
> > > Einar
> > I too contacted Unisys through a reseller and was quoted the following here in the U.S. for ClearPath MCP Developer Studio Personal Edition - System Type: DE1002
> >
> > Software: ~$6000
> > Support for 5 years: ~$2500
> > Licensing for 5 years: ~$2500
> > Total: ~$11,000
> >
> > Unisys will only sell to companies - and no credit cards or personal checks
> >
> > -Tim
> So, would those interested in purchasing a MCP DevStudio License be willing to be paired up with a VAR/Reseller in order to get a license. Part of the issue is the overhead of creating accounts for individuals to buy something from the company.
I posted the question about who would be interested in being paired with a Unisys VAR in order to purchase a full copy of MCP Developer Studio. This would be a fully licensed and supported product, much more robust than the MCP Express product previously available. Please feel free to reach out.
ler