<wiggy> in a stunning new move I actually tested this upload

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

SubjectAuthor
* Replacement for NZBgrabit?gp
+* Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?Joerg Walther
|+* Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?Charlie Roberts
||+- Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?Joerg Walther
||+- Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?gp
||`- Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?BorkedBorg
|`- Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?Puffer Belly
+* Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?Opinicus
|+- Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?gp
|`* Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?gp
| `* Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?Invisible Friend
|  +- Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?Joerg Walther
|  `- Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?gp
`- Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?Robert Roland

1
Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<q96l0j5s8l8rghffoohkv6q8keaslj1i8i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5557&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5557

From: gp@rr.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Replacement for NZBgrabit?
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 06:25:12 -0500
 by: gp@rr.com - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 11:25 UTC

I have been using NZBgrabit for years but they claim their site may be
going off line around April 9.

What are some good safe replacements?

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<qe9l0j98amsgu8b27tq3u634g3d87en6ia@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5558&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5558

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 14:23:49 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 12:23 UTC

gp@rr.com wrote:

>I have been using NZBgrabit for years but they claim their site may be
>going off line around April 9.
>
>What are some good safe replacements?

I have been a happy customer of Easynews and their global web search
thingy for 24 years, so I never needed these indexer sites, never
regretted the $10/month and two years ago I got the biggest package they
offer on a 4th July special offer for even less. Retention should be as
long as Newshosting.

-jw-

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<cpql0jh7nf50vit79n5141p75jnlqiuk6l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5559&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5559

From: croberts@gmail.com (Charlie Roberts)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 13:15:57 -0400
 by: Charlie Roberts - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 17:15 UTC

On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 14:23:49 +0200, Joerg Walther
<joerg.walther@magenta.de> wrote:

>gp@rr.com wrote:
>
>>I have been using NZBgrabit for years but they claim their site may be
>>going off line around April 9.
>>
>>What are some good safe replacements?
>
>I have been a happy customer of Easynews and their global web search
>thingy for 24 years, so I never needed these indexer sites, never
>regretted the $10/month and two years ago I got the biggest package they
>offer on a 4th July special offer for even less. Retention should be as
>long as Newshosting.
>
>-jw-

Not sure if NZBgrabit is more than a news server -- the NZB in name
suggests something more.

But, if you are looking for a news server, I would recommend
Usenetserver. Excellent retention, affordable and superb uptime.
I quit Giganews after more than 20 years when they said that the
problems I was having was on my end. It took a few days to find
out that plenty of other users had the same issues. Moved to
Usenetserver based on recommendations in the NG. Have never
had a cause to complain.

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<cbtl0jlordp1dalmf7425hn1dgelbd4rnt@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5560&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5560

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 20:00:51 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 18:00 UTC

Charlie Roberts wrote:

>Not sure if NZBgrabit is more than a news server -- the NZB in name
>suggests something more.

I'm pretty sure it is an indexer, it says "NZBGrabit does not host any
files. NZBGrabit indexes the contents of the public news service,
Usenet." on https://www.nzbgrabit.xyz.

>But, if you are looking for a news server, I would recommend
>Usenetserver.

Just looked at their website, ok, they have global search like Easynews,
but in the FAQ it says that you must turn your search results into nzb
files. With Easynews I can also search and save files from my browser
directly to my PC. Is that also possible? I have SABnzbd installed on my
server but I rarely use it.

-jw-

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<ejtl0jt8qgthgsdhkt6e9p5f6lds1sol4o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5561&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5561

From: gp@rr.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 13:22:22 -0500
 by: gp@rr.com - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 18:22 UTC

On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 13:15:57 -0400, Charlie Roberts
<croberts@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 14:23:49 +0200, Joerg Walther
><joerg.walther@magenta.de> wrote:
>
>>gp@rr.com wrote:
>>
>>>I have been using NZBgrabit for years but they claim their site may be
>>>going off line around April 9.
>>>
>>>What are some good safe replacements?
>>
>>I have been a happy customer of Easynews and their global web search
>>thingy for 24 years, so I never needed these indexer sites, never
>>regretted the $10/month and two years ago I got the biggest package they
>>offer on a 4th July special offer for even less. Retention should be as
>>long as Newshosting.
>>
>>-jw-
>
>Not sure if NZBgrabit is more than a news server -- the NZB in name
>suggests something more.
>
>But, if you are looking for a news server, I would recommend
>Usenetserver. Excellent retention, affordable and superb uptime.
>I quit Giganews after more than 20 years when they said that the
>problems I was having was on my end. It took a few days to find
>out that plenty of other users had the same issues. Moved to
>Usenetserver based on recommendations in the NG. Have never
>had a cause to complain.

I am happy with my current news servers. I use Newshosting for about
90% of my downloads and Easynews only for the few items I cannot find
using the NZBs from NZBgrabi and both are great.

Many of the TV shows and moves posted require the NZB files to get all
the files. Newshosting server's own download program works great as
long as I get the NZB files. Some versions of the TV shows and movies
are not posted complete on Easynews. I rely more on the NZB files I
get from NZBgrabit and only use Easynews the few times the NZB files
don't get posted. Using Newshosting program I can max out my 500 MBPS
speed that I have with Comcast. If I use the Easynews web based
interface it cannot match the speed I get using Newshosting program.

NZBgrabit has been great. It is easy to check to which files have been
posted and has seem to be very complete. I hate to see they close
shop.

I did a Google search before posting this question on who are the best
other NZB services available. Using the Google search I got over
30,000 hits with 100s of suggestions but most of the hits were more
like Ads and not very detail on exactly how well the different NZB
sites actually work.

I had hope some heavy users on this forum might have some opinions on
which other NZB sites were really good without me having to run my own
test. I have paid $15 for 3 years of premium service on NZBgrabit and
it has worked great. I hate they may shut down and hope they can find
a way to stay in business. However, they still has posted on their web
site the last day is April 9.??

I use Agent for monitoring the few News Groups that are still active,
mainly Ebooks, Mags, Eudora and of course Agent. I no longer use Agent
to download TV shows, movies or programs since it seem all the
programs are infected with virus or malware.

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<an1m0j9hulbr143v1q579lisa069tids34@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5562&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5562

From: BorkedBorg@13of9.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 12:13:40 -0700
 by: BorkedBorg@13of9.com - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 19:13 UTC

wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 14:23:49 +0200, Joerg Walther
><joerg.walther@magenta.de> wrote:
>
>>gp@rr.com wrote:
>>
>>>I have been using NZBgrabit for years but they claim their site may be
>>>going off line around April 9.
>>>
>>>What are some good safe replacements?
>>
>>I have been a happy customer of Easynews and their global web search
>>thingy for 24 years, so I never needed these indexer sites, never
>>regretted the $10/month and two years ago I got the biggest package they
>>offer on a 4th July special offer for even less. Retention should be as
>>long as Newshosting.
>>
>>-jw-
>
>Not sure if NZBgrabit is more than a news server -- the NZB in name
>suggests something more.
>
>But, if you are looking for a news server, I would recommend
>Usenetserver. Excellent retention, affordable and superb uptime.
>I quit Giganews after more than 20 years when they said that the
>problems I was having was on my end. It took a few days to find
>out that plenty of other users had the same issues. Moved to
>Usenetserver based on recommendations in the NG. Have never
>had a cause to complain.

I also use Usenetserver with no complaints.

(Except for the fact they bill annually and since they don't send out
reminders I always forget when it's due. My problem, not theirs.)

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<ck0n0j5uhkm862qf8a028s5cs727muf3ch@anodyne.nul.which.is.quite.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5563&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5563

From: gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 07:34:30 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 04:34 UTC

On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 06:25:12 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:

> I have been using NZBgrabit for years but they claim their site may be
> going off line around April 9.

> What are some good safe replacements?
If you're looking for a news server, you can't do better than:
new.eweka.nl
* Not expensive
* Amazing retention
* Not based in the US so NO DMCA

If you're looking for indexers, I use two because very often what one
doesn't have, the other does:
nzbplanet.net
https://sl.bing.net/cAiHltN1kQe
Its user interface is more to my liking and its search functions are
more robust

nzbgeek.info
https://sl.bing.net/fZxp3tzcLam
This is my backup in case NZBPlanet can't find or has missed
something. As its name implies its interface is "geekier" and the
forums talk about things like "API", "Sickbeard", and "Sonarr".

Neither is expensive and for about $50 you can get a lifetime,
unlimited membership that you can access from any machine. Both have
been around since 2012.

HTH

--
Bob
Sidera errantia quibus procella tenebrarum in aeternum servata es

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<jein0j98kf5aml0g2lek6ktcpdpf8dldf0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5564&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5564

From: fake@ddress.no (Robert Roland)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 11:03:53 +0200
 by: Robert Roland - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 09:03 UTC

On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 06:25:12 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:

>I have been using NZBgrabit for years but they claim their site may be
>going off line around April 9.
>
>What are some good safe replacements?

I have been using nzb.su for years. I have nothing to compare against,
but I have no complaints.
--
RoRo

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<fnon0jp7mjkot720q9arafnvl4rml7eioq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5565&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5565

From: gp@rr.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 05:51:03 -0500
 by: gp@rr.com - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 10:51 UTC

On Tue, 02 Apr 2024 07:34:30 +0300, Opinicus
<gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 06:25:12 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:
>
>> I have been using NZBgrabit for years but they claim their site may be
>> going off line around April 9.
>
>> What are some good safe replacements?
>If you're looking for a news server, you can't do better than:
>new.eweka.nl
>* Not expensive
>* Amazing retention
>* Not based in the US so NO DMCA
>
>If you're looking for indexers, I use two because very often what one
>doesn't have, the other does:
>nzbplanet.net
>https://sl.bing.net/cAiHltN1kQe
>Its user interface is more to my liking and its search functions are
>more robust
>
>nzbgeek.info
>https://sl.bing.net/fZxp3tzcLam
>This is my backup in case NZBPlanet can't find or has missed
>something. As its name implies its interface is "geekier" and the
>forums talk about things like "API", "Sickbeard", and "Sonarr".
>
>Neither is expensive and for about $50 you can get a lifetime,
>unlimited membership that you can access from any machine. Both have
>been around since 2012.
>
>HTH

Thanks, the info on the Indexes is what I was looking for. I will
check them out.

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<i36o0jd13b13tkq2qh2tooc6scj88hj1kp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5566&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5566

From: anonymous@anonymous.org (Puffer Belly)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 09:44:23 -0500
 by: Puffer Belly - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:44 UTC

I've been using NZBHydra2 configured to search Binsearch (although
lately Binsearch hasn't been accepting their API), NZBFinder,
usenet-crawler, and NZBIndex. All are free. NZBHydra2 can use as
many indexers as you want as long as they have an API.

PB

On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 14:23:49 +0200, Joerg Walther
<joerg.walther@magenta.de> wrote:

>gp@rr.com wrote:
>
>>I have been using NZBgrabit for years but they claim their site may be
>>going off line around April 9.
>>
>>What are some good safe replacements?
>
>I have been a happy customer of Easynews and their global web search
>thingy for 24 years, so I never needed these indexer sites, never
>regretted the $10/month and two years ago I got the biggest package they
>offer on a 4th July special offer for even less. Retention should be as
>long as Newshosting.
>
>-jw-

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<2u7u0jd831g7gui5h5scfnp7o9vnf9vk2h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5567&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5567

From: gp@rr.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 16:48:55 -0500
 by: gp@rr.com - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 21:48 UTC

On Tue, 02 Apr 2024 07:34:30 +0300, Opinicus
<gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 06:25:12 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:
>
>> I have been using NZBgrabit for years but they claim their site may be
>> going off line around April 9.
>
>> What are some good safe replacements?
>If you're looking for a news server, you can't do better than:
>new.eweka.nl
>* Not expensive
>* Amazing retention
>* Not based in the US so NO DMCA
>
>If you're looking for indexers, I use two because very often what one
>doesn't have, the other does:
>nzbplanet.net
>https://sl.bing.net/cAiHltN1kQe
>Its user interface is more to my liking and its search functions are
>more robust
>
>nzbgeek.info
>https://sl.bing.net/fZxp3tzcLam
>This is my backup in case NZBPlanet can't find or has missed
>something. As its name implies its interface is "geekier" and the
>forums talk about things like "API", "Sickbeard", and "Sonarr".
>
>Neither is expensive and for about $50 you can get a lifetime,
>unlimited membership that you can access from any machine. Both have
>been around since 2012.
>
>HTH

Thanks for the tips. I signed up for 1 yr with nzbplanet and it looks
promising. It will take some adjustment to get use to their interface
but I should be able to adjust.

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<o4i01j9f496ggbs78rausciqt0b2nija2e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5568&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5568

From: anon@ymous.com (Invisible Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 19:53:19 +0100
 by: Invisible Friend - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 18:53 UTC

NZBGrabit have moved servers and are back according to their Facebook
page

"We have moved to a new server and we have a new domain the old domain
will eventually redirect but is taking time to do so.
https://www.nzbgrabit.org same login information."
--
Invisible Friend

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<tr721j1lcrsi15l0j6nqmmhrek791763u7@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5571&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5571

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 12:10:27 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 10:10 UTC

Invisible Friend wrote:

>NZBGrabit have moved servers and are back according to their Facebook
>page

Good news, however, there are lots of other, a good overview is here:
https://tarnkappe.info/forum/t/usenet-board-indexer-uebersicht/12873

-jw-

Re: Replacement for NZBgrabit?

<da821jp2d348rsn0c5kdk338javspe9j36@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5572&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5572

From: gp@rr.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 05:28:32 -0500
 by: gp@rr.com - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 10:28 UTC

On Fri, 05 Apr 2024 19:53:19 +0100, Invisible Friend <anon@ymous.com>
wrote:

>NZBGrabit have moved servers and are back according to their Facebook
>page
>
>"We have moved to a new server and we have a new domain the old domain
>will eventually redirect but is taking time to do so.
>https://www.nzbgrabit.org same login information."

Thanks...

I just found out yesterday the same thing, was able to get onto their
new web site and it looks like everything is the same.

I happen to get an email today directly from them with the same info,
however, Gmail had put it as Spam.

I have a 3 yr subscription with NABGrabit that is expiring in Oct. I
still like NZBGrabit layout better than NZBplanet but that may be just
because I have been using it for about 4 years.

Thanks again for the update.