"We came. We saw. We kicked its ass." -- Bill Murray, _Ghostbusters_

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

SubjectAuthor
* Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?gp
+* Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?Ralph Fox
|`* Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?gp
| +* Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?Pete W
| |`* Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?Joerg Walther
| | `- Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?Paul S Person
| `- Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?Ralph Fox
+- Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?Pete W
+- Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?Michael Thompson
`* Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?s|b
 `* Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?gp
  `* Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?s|b
   `- Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?carl

1
Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<e0921j994htobqk0rqco1c5e34e1atekr7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5573&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5573

From: gp@rr.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 06:04:12 -0500
 by: gp@rr.com - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 11:04 UTC

Ralph, I know your are the expert on Agent and I look for and read
every posting you make and save them all.

I am trying to learn Linux and wondered if you have any suggestions on
which is the best version. I had done a fair amount of Google searches
but the opinions are all over the place.

I have 2 10 yr old Toshiba laptops that still run just fine that don't
support Win 11 so was just trying to see how they would work with
Linux.

I have used DOS since I started with my first desktop that only had 2
floppy drives and learned computers at college using punch cards. I
just really did not want to go back to all the command prompts.
I did install Linux Mint and Linux Zorin to start learning them based
some suggested web sites. I could never get Linux Mint to work with my
TP Link USB WiFi adapters, I have 3 different models.

I could get Zorin to work with my TP Link devices but never could get
Mint to find them. I still have not been able to get Zorin to ignore
my built in Wifi adapter. Doing a web search I found the command lines
to disable the built in WiFi adapter and it was going to require at
least 3 or lines of commands just to turn off the built in Wifi. I
don't want to have to do this every time something does not work.

I considered upgrading Zorin to Pro version but some reviews I saw
said there were better versions of Linux to use that have the same
features without having to pay the extra money.

I don't want to have to try 4 or more versions Linux to find the best
for my limited use.

I really don't want to have to learn to use all the Linux Terminal
commands and go back to the old DOS way.

I only want the computers to mainly get on the Web, handle emails,
banking and logging into all the different web site you have to use
for doctors and health offices.

I do run 2 Plex Servers, one on an old Win 7 computer and one on a Win
11 computer, both have about 30 TB of HD storage. Since I cannot
update the Plex software any more on the Win 7 computer I would like
to upgrade that computer to Linux. The Win 7 computer is about 8 yrs
old that I built myself. It runs 24/7 and has missed a bet since I
built it. I only restart it about once a month.

Any one else reading this I would appreciate suggestions on other
Linux versions to try.

Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<4n831j1dp7ej5hd60a7sm69d70reebbdnv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5574&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5574

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 07:31:24 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:31 UTC

On Sat, 06 Apr 2024 06:04:12 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:

> Ralph, I know your are the expert on Agent and I look for and read
> every posting you make and save them all.
>
> I am trying to learn Linux and wondered if you have any suggestions on
> which is the best version. I had done a fair amount of Google searches
> but the opinions are all over the place.
>
> I have 2 10 yr old Toshiba laptops that still run just fine that don't
> support Win 11 so was just trying to see how they would work with
> Linux.
>
> I have used DOS since I started with my first desktop that only had 2
> floppy drives and learned computers at college using punch cards. I
> just really did not want to go back to all the command prompts.
>
> I did install Linux Mint and Linux Zorin to start learning them based
> some suggested web sites. I could never get Linux Mint to work with my
> TP Link USB WiFi adapters, I have 3 different models.
>
> I could get Zorin to work with my TP Link devices but never could get
> Mint to find them. I still have not been able to get Zorin to ignore
> my built in Wifi adapter. Doing a web search I found the command lines
> to disable the built in WiFi adapter and it was going to require at
> least 3 or lines of commands just to turn off the built in Wifi. I
> don't want to have to do this every time something does not work.
>
> I considered upgrading Zorin to Pro version but some reviews I saw
> said there were better versions of Linux to use that have the same
> features without having to pay the extra money.
>
> I don't want to have to try 4 or more versions Linux to find the best
> for my limited use.
>
> I really don't want to have to learn to use all the Linux Terminal
> commands and go back to the old DOS way.
>
> I only want the computers to mainly get on the Web, handle emails,
> banking and logging into all the different web site you have to use
> for doctors and health offices.
>
> I do run 2 Plex Servers, one on an old Win 7 computer and one on a Win
> 11 computer, both have about 30 TB of HD storage. Since I cannot
> update the Plex software any more on the Win 7 computer I would like
> to upgrade that computer to Linux. The Win 7 computer is about 8 yrs
> old that I built myself. It runs 24/7 and has missed a bet since I
> built it. I only restart it about once a month.
>
> Any one else reading this I would appreciate suggestions on other
> Linux versions to try.

I have Linux Mint.

Testing now, my USB WiFi adapter works well with Linux Mint.
It is not a TP Link. The Linux 'lsusb' command shows it as this:

| ID 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter

I did not need to install drivers or do anything to get it to work.
It just worked out of the box. I bought it online for less than US$9
(several years ago, and that shop is now closed).

Your easiest option may be to find another USB WiFi adapter which
works out of the box. The Linux Mint forums have suggestions for
USB WiFi adapters for Mint which work out of the box.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=mint+usb+wifi+adapter+work+out+of+the+box+site%253Aforums.linuxmint.com>

I used to run Ubuntu also. Mint is based on Ubuntu. I expect you will
have the exact same issues with USB WiFi adapters in Ubuntu as in Mint.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

I'll not change a cottage in possession for a kingdome in reversion.

Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<7as41jpi761j9uh1f89pqvp5tdvq8fucfh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5575&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5575

From: pete@never.here (Pete W)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 11:18:19 +0100
 by: Pete W - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 10:18 UTC

On Sat, 06 Apr 2024 06:04:12 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:

>Ralph, I know your are the expert on Agent and I look for and read
>every posting you make and save them all.
>
>I am trying to learn Linux and wondered if you have any suggestions on
>which is the best version. I had done a fair amount of Google searches
>but the opinions are all over the place.
>
>I have 2 10 yr old Toshiba laptops that still run just fine that don't
>support Win 11 so was just trying to see how they would work with
>Linux.
>
>I have used DOS since I started with my first desktop that only had 2
>floppy drives and learned computers at college using punch cards. I
>just really did not want to go back to all the command prompts.
>
>I did install Linux Mint and Linux Zorin to start learning them based
>some suggested web sites. I could never get Linux Mint to work with my
>TP Link USB WiFi adapters, I have 3 different models.
>
>I could get Zorin to work with my TP Link devices but never could get
>Mint to find them. I still have not been able to get Zorin to ignore
>my built in Wifi adapter. Doing a web search I found the command lines
>to disable the built in WiFi adapter and it was going to require at
>least 3 or lines of commands just to turn off the built in Wifi. I
>don't want to have to do this every time something does not work.
>
>I considered upgrading Zorin to Pro version but some reviews I saw
>said there were better versions of Linux to use that have the same
>features without having to pay the extra money.
>
>I don't want to have to try 4 or more versions Linux to find the best
>for my limited use.
>
>I really don't want to have to learn to use all the Linux Terminal
>commands and go back to the old DOS way.
>
>I only want the computers to mainly get on the Web, handle emails,
>banking and logging into all the different web site you have to use
>for doctors and health offices.
>
>I do run 2 Plex Servers, one on an old Win 7 computer and one on a Win
>11 computer, both have about 30 TB of HD storage. Since I cannot
>update the Plex software any more on the Win 7 computer I would like
>to upgrade that computer to Linux. The Win 7 computer is about 8 yrs
>old that I built myself. It runs 24/7 and has missed a bet since I
>built it. I only restart it about once a month.
>
>Any one else reading this I would appreciate suggestions on other
>Linux versions to try.

FWIW I use Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon. Very happy with it. Agent
runs well under Wine. Not been tempted to try anything else for
a very long time since settling on Mint.
---
Pete.

Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<9cs41j1jvitvbbc1ri7o1k57jlevk8aqjb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5576&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5576

From: gp@rr.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 05:23:45 -0500
 by: gp@rr.com - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 10:23 UTC

On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 07:31:24 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
>

>I have Linux Mint.
>
>Testing now, my USB WiFi adapter works well with Linux Mint.
>It is not a TP Link. The Linux 'lsusb' command shows it as this:
>
>| ID 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter
>
>I did not need to install drivers or do anything to get it to work.
>It just worked out of the box. I bought it online for less than US$9
>(several years ago, and that shop is now closed).
>

>Your easiest option may be to find another USB WiFi adapter which
>works out of the box. The Linux Mint forums have suggestions for
>USB WiFi adapters for Mint which work out of the box.
><https://www.google.com/search?q=mint+usb+wifi+adapter+work+out+of+the+box+site%253Aforums.linuxmint.com>
>

>I used to run Ubuntu also. Mint is based on Ubuntu. I expect you will
>have the exact same issues with USB WiFi adapters in Ubuntu as in Mint.

Thanks for the feedback and helpful suggestions.

I currently have Ubuntu and Zorin running on 2 different old laptops
and they seem stable. I think I may have missed a step when I
installed Zorin but Ubuntu seems more complete without having to go
find programs.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Do you use the dual boot options with any Windows versions?

I have several programs on my Win 7 computers that I only need about 4
times a year that I would like to have access that I really don't want
to loss. Does dual boot really work with Linux without messing up your
Windows programs and files?

Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<h2v41j54cm2btj1t7h3kq66uotjeqio4ro@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5577&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5577

From: pete@never.here (Pete W)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 12:04:24 +0100
 by: Pete W - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 11:04 UTC

On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 05:23:45 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:

Snipped.

>Do you use the dual boot options with any Windows versions?
>
>I have several programs on my Win 7 computers that I only need about 4
>times a year that I would like to have access that I really don't want
>to loss. Does dual boot really work with Linux without messing up your
>Windows programs and files?

Yes, I have a dual boot with Mint and Win 10 an my PC and laptop and
as far as I can tell both systems work without problem.
---
Pete.

Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<e5351j1qr0mh19enk56s0l6rm9cnc7232u@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5578&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5578

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 14:11:12 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 12:11 UTC

Pete W wrote:

>Yes, I have a dual boot with Mint and Win 10 an my PC and laptop and
>as far as I can tell both systems work without problem.

As long as you have installed Agent the old way (with its data inside
the programme directory) it shouldn't be a problem, this is like a
"portable app", and that's what I still have here.
But newer version of Agent, freshly installed, not updated from older
version, have their data somewhere else, which can lead to some hassle
when running under Windows AND WINE.

-jw-

Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<vrd51jl1t0mgre0trbe2r350iegjt0ic3a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5579&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5579

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 08:18:53 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 15:18 UTC

On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 14:11:12 +0200, Joerg Walther
<joerg.walther@magenta.de> wrote:

>Pete W wrote:
>
>>Yes, I have a dual boot with Mint and Win 10 an my PC and laptop and
>>as far as I can tell both systems work without problem.
>
>As long as you have installed Agent the old way (with its data inside
>the programme directory) it shouldn't be a problem, this is like a
>"portable app", and that's what I still have here.
>But newer version of Agent, freshly installed, not updated from older
>version, have their data somewhere else, which can lead to some hassle
>when running under Windows AND WINE.

It's in Users\<>\AppData\Roaming\Agent on my Win10 ("<>" is the user
name). This is a hidden folder, so to see it will require some effort.

The AGENT.lNI file actually used by Agent is in this folder as well.
Agent will have to be told where to find the files if you move them.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<l7g5geFpcv6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5580&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5580

From: Michael.Thompson@nowwhere.invalid (Michael Thompson)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 11:03:57 -0700
 by: Michael Thompson - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 18:03 UTC

On Sat, 06 Apr 2024 06:04:12 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:

>I am trying to learn Linux and wondered if you have any suggestions on
>which is the best version. I had done a fair amount of Google searches
>but the opinions are all over the place.
>
>I have 2 10 yr old Toshiba laptops that still run just fine that don't
>support Win 11 so was just trying to see how they would work with
>Linux.

You can download a Linux distribution ISO file. Then you can use
"Linuxlive USB Creator" in windows to properly install the Linux ISO to a
USB thumb drive. After it is created you can plug the Linux USB drive into
the laptop USB port. Then you boot the computer and press the proper key
to bring up the boot menu. You then can test Linux on your laptop to see
if it works okay with your hardware.

The easiest and Windows like desktop Linux distribution is Linux Mint
21.3.

Ubuntu is easy to install also, but the desktop is not like Windows so it
has a learning curve.

Stay away from Fedora, Debian and SuSe. They are made for computer experts
and are not consumer user friendly.

I've been a Linux User since 1995, so I have tried numerous distros over
the years.

YMMV. IMHO.

Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<l7g9t7Fpvu3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5581&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5581

From: me@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 21:19:04 +0200
 by: s|b - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 19:19 UTC

On Sat, 06 Apr 2024 06:04:12 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:

> I am trying to learn Linux and wondered if you have any suggestions on
> which is the best version. I had done a fair amount of Google searches
> but the opinions are all over the place.
alt.comp.linux

--
s|b

Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<6jv51j9jvh0g9lral7nqubkrh6q80rffu3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5583&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5583

From: gp@rr.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 15:20:56 -0500
 by: gp@rr.com - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 20:20 UTC

On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 21:19:04 +0200, "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Apr 2024 06:04:12 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:
>
>> I am trying to learn Linux and wondered if you have any suggestions on
>> which is the best version. I had done a fair amount of Google searches
>> but the opinions are all over the place.
>
>alt.comp.linux

Thanks for the above news group link. I have given up on most news
groups I use to follow since so many had become inactive.

Thanks to every replier for all the great feedback and suggestions.

I may need to relook at Mint based on the comments. I think I must
have missed some steps during my install of Mint.

Can I just run the install of Mint again on the same HD and get it to
install the extra features that I missed or do I need to wipe it clean
and start all over?

I did notice when I installed Ubuntu there 2 extra boxes on what to
install that I think I did not check when installing Mint.

Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<k9161j9jvq67u7cfl49egreruh6htpt3lb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5584&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5584

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 08:42:32 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 20:42 UTC

On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 05:23:45 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:

> I currently have Ubuntu and Zorin running on 2 different old laptops
> and they seem stable. I think I may have missed a step when I
> installed Zorin but Ubuntu seems more complete without having to go
> find programs.
>
> Again, thanks for the reply.
>
> Do you use the dual boot options with any Windows versions?

Many years ago I used to dual boot. These days when I want to run two
operating systems on the one computer I run one in a virtual machine.
This lets me have both operating systems open at the same time.

> I have several programs on my Win 7 computers that I only need about 4
> times a year that I would like to have access that I really don't want
> to loss. Does dual boot really work with Linux without messing up your
> Windows programs and files?

When I was dual booting, it never messed up my Windows programs and files.
Linux was in its own partition on the hard drive, separate from the
Windows partition.

If you want run Agent on the Windows partition from Linux/Wine,

* Create a Linux desktop shortcut for running Agent under Wine from
Linux. Do not use the Windows shortcut on the Windows partition.
* Any paths passed to Agent on the command line, such as the path
to AGENT.INI, *must* be Windows-style paths. Use the command
'winepath -w' to convert Linux-style paths to Windows-style paths.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

It's good in a stormy or winter night, to have two anchors to cast out of a ship.

Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<l7lkcoFk340U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5587&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5587

From: me@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 21:48:40 +0200
 by: s|b - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 19:48 UTC

On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 15:20:56 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:

> >alt.comp.linux
> Thanks for the above news group link. I have given up on most news
> groups I use to follow since so many had become inactive.

It may seem dormant, but there are active posters on alt.comp.linux.
> Can I just run the install of Mint again on the same HD and get it to
> install the extra features that I missed or do I need to wipe it clean
> and start all over?

I can not help you with that. My experience with Linux is mostly based
on running live CD/DVD/USB. I've installed Xubuntu on an older PC, but
that's about it. I tried Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Mint and some others,
but I've never decided to switch (and now I'm stuck with W11 :-).

--
s|b

Re: Attention Ralph, off subject, best Linux for beginner?

<tm5h1jl3d2osk4l8pjdk5343vc5smlqtvu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5588&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5588

From: carl@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 21:07:07 -0500
 by: carl@invalid.com - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 02:07 UTC

On Tue, 09 Apr 2024 21:48:40 +0200, "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 15:20:56 -0500, gp@rr.com wrote:
>
>> >alt.comp.linux
>
>> Thanks for the above news group link. I have given up on most news
>> groups I use to follow since so many had become inactive.
>
>It may seem dormant, but there are active posters on alt.comp.linux.

Current linux junk in these:
alt.comp.linux
alt.linux
alt.linux.redhat

Too many groups have been totally ruined with all this O.T. posting
crap.