Alexander Graham Bell is alive and well in New York, and still waiting for a dial tone.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Driver wars

SubjectAuthor
* Driver warsAndy Burns
+- Re: Driver warsmilsabords
+* Re: Driver warsPaul
|`- Re: Driver warsAndy Burns
+* Re: Driver warsVanguardLH
|`- Re: Driver warsT
`* Re: Driver warsT
 `* Re: Driver wars...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
  `* Re: Driver warsVanguardLH
   `- Re: Driver wars...w¡ñ§±¤ñ

1
Driver wars

<k9sjd1F6ltaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5594&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5594

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Driver wars
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:06:40 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 09:06 UTC

Intel driver assistant keeps upgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v31.a.b.c.

Windows update keeps downgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v30.d.e.f

The v30 seems flaky (odd shading on maps, odd shading when editing photos)

How do I get them to call a truce?

Re: Driver wars

<u1b9q1$1gia5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5595&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5595

From: nospam@nospam.org (milsabords)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Driver wars
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 12:27:11 +0200
 by: milsabords - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:27 UTC

Andy Burns a émis l'idée suivante :
> Intel driver assistant keeps upgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v31.a.b.c.

> Windows update keeps downgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v30.d.e.f

> The v30 seems flaky (odd shading on maps, odd shading when editing photos)

> How do I get them to call a truce?

Desactivate drivers update by WU. Use Donotspy11 or OOSU10.

Re: Driver wars

<u1bafr$1gl4e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5596&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5596

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 06:38:52 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:38 UTC

On 4/14/2023 5:06 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Intel driver assistant keeps upgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v31.a.b.c.
>
> Windows update keeps downgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v30.d.e.f
>
> The v30 seems flaky (odd shading on maps, odd shading when editing photos)
>
> How do I get them to call a truce?

sysdm.cpl : Hardware tab has this interface.

https://i0.wp.com/pureinfotech.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/open-device-installation-settings.webp?w=412&quality=78&strip=all&ssl=1

https://i0.wp.com/pureinfotech.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/disable-automatic-driver-install-windows-11.webp?w=595&quality=78&strip=all&ssl=1

If I look in Windows Update : Update History, the control
seems to have stopped me from getting NVidia updates (likely
to be a large download), while I am getting RealTek Audio
updates on a pretty continuous basis. The last one came in
about five days ago, for audio.

I would have to rate the behavior as "control does not work".
Maybe the setting is ignored, if it is a security issue
or something, but it's hard to tell from the pattern exactly
what criterion is being used.

*******

This article says there is a GPEdit.msc (for Pro) that allows
specific PNP device values, from receiving updates. Now, what
are the odds that works properly ?

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers/

Paul

Paul

Re: Driver wars

<89pe74qyow7w$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5598&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5598

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 11:07:27 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 16:07 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Intel driver assistant keeps upgrading me to Intel Xe graphics
> v31.a.b.c.
>
> Windows update keeps downgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v30.d.e.f
>
> The v30 seems flaky (odd shading on maps, odd shading when editing
> photos)
>
> How do I get them to call a truce?

Never allow Windows to update drivers. You should be the only one
updating the drivers. In Windows 10, you can disable hardware updating.
I suspect the same for Windows 11.

I use WinAero Tweaker for stuff like disabling hardware updates. Most
of their articles point to help pages explaining how their tweaks work.
For hardware update disable, their help page is at:

https://winaero.com/how-to-turn-off-driver-updates-in-windows-update-in-windows-10/

For Home editions of Windows, you don't get the policy editor
(gpedit.msc). However, all policies are registry entries, so you can
edit the registry to effect the policy.

Occasionally *I* (not some software) will check if newer versions of
hardware drivers are available. I actually read the documentation, if
any, about a new version of a driver to see if it will really affect the
use of my computer. Most times newer versions don't do a thing to help
you. That is, newer versions don't fix anything in your setup. They
may fix old bugs, but did you get hit by those bugs? Even if old bugs
are fixed, new code means new bugs. If your system is working, and the
changes in a driver have no worth to you, don't change the drivers!

That also means NOT using Intel's update scanner, too. *YOU* decide,
not a program coded by some dev who is tasked with always shoving a new
driver version at you whether it has any benefits or not -- TO YOU!

Windows update is going to install what it has in its catalog as the
latest driver. Takes time for a driver to get submitted to Microsoft,
and run through all their tests before it is qualified as okay, and then
get published in their online catalog for when it finally becomes
available to you. During all that time, the hardware maker may come out
with a newer version that they want to push at you whether you need it
or not. You have two updaters battling which each other as to which
version they think is best, and neither may provide you with the best
driver for your setup, and neither may have changes that actually affect
stability or usability.

Example: Promise, a maker of RAID cards, pushed a driver to Microsoft to
add to their update catalog. Turns out the new code had a bug that
could result in corruption of files in the RAID setup. Several users
got hit. Those were the type of users that always want the latest
driver whether it actually better or not. They grew up conned on the
"newer is better" sales mantra. Promise created a fixed driver (yet
another new version to fix the fuckup in their prior "new" driver), so
users had to go to Promise to get the fixed driver (but only if they had
ignorantly updated to the prior new driver that didn't do anything for
them). It took just over 2 months for the defective driver to get
removed from Microsoft's catalog to prevent pushing the known bad driver
at Windows users. What

Microsoft has to dole out for drivers may not be the best or even a good
driver.

Another example: Back with analog (dial-up) modems were the norm for
Internet connectivity, Microsoft was pushing out the wrong driver for a
particualar vendor. The card vendor had change to a different Winmodem
chip on their card, but made the change confusing. You had models 1, 2,
and 3, but model 4 used the different chip. Yet Microsoft update
checker would find the online driver for the "family" of those products,
and offer the older and wrong driver. The hardware change was hidden in
a model number, not a product or serial number, so no way for the update
checker to know if you had model 1, 2, 3, or 4. You had to get the
model 4 driver from the Winmodem maker, NOT from Microsoft.

New doesn't guarantee better, just different. So, just what wasn't
working with your hardware with the older drivers that made you feel
compelled to have a 3rd party decide in what state your hardware would
be? Unless you're having a problem with a driver, or a new version
offers a new feature that you just must have, why change the driver?

Re: Driver wars

<u1cgno$1mj2t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5607&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5607

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 14:31:35 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 21:31 UTC

On 4/14/23 02:06, Andy Burns wrote:
> Intel driver assistant keeps upgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v31.a.b.c.
>
> Windows update keeps downgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v30.d.e.f
>
> The v30 seems flaky (odd shading on maps, odd shading when editing photos)
>
> How do I get them to call a truce?

I had something similar. The M$ drive was garbage.

I went to Intel.com, found their recommended drive
and downloaded it. Then I went to Device Manager
and removed the M$ drive and installed the Intel
driver. After a reboot, happy camping returned.

And since the Intel drive was a higher revision, M$
left it alone.

Re: Driver wars

<u1cgvd$1mj2t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5609&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5609

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 14:35:41 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 21:35 UTC

On 4/14/23 09:07, VanguardLH wrote:
> Never allow Windows to update drivers.

Sometimes you are forced to by law, such as
PCI (Payment Card Industry) requirements.
It is a pain in the butt.

But when not forced to by law, you advice
is dead on. If it works LEAVE IT ALONE.
Drivers exist in "ring 0" and the havoc the
can cause is biblical.

I have yet to have any issues with Intel's
drivers over that last 28 years, but I
am still young.

Re: Driver wars

<u1mgmo$3jrip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5653&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5653

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:32:17 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 16:32 UTC

T wrote on 4/14/2023 2:31 PM:
> On 4/14/23 02:06, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Intel driver assistant keeps upgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v31.a.b.c.
>>
>> Windows update keeps downgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v30.d.e.f
>>
>> The v30 seems flaky (odd shading on maps, odd shading when editing photos)
>>
>> How do I get them to call a truce?
>>

> I had something similar.  The M$ drive was garbage.
>
> I went to Intel.com, found their recommended drive
> and downloaded it.  Then I went to Device Manager
> and removed the M$ drive and installed the Intel
> driver.  After a reboot, happy camping returned.
>
> And since the Intel drive was a higher revision, M$
> left it alone.

Fyi..MSFT discontinued releasing their modified code version of driver
versions for OEM hardware with the advent of Windows 8.1. Everything is
submitted by the OEM for use, the only change made and required
contractually since 8.1 release is that Microsoft brand the driver with
their name, version and digital certificate - the code is all
manufacturer, not MSFT.
If a manufacturer releases a later driver but doesn't see a need to
replace an earlier submitted version, it's not submitted for distribution
by Windows Update.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Driver wars

<1w6vqd4h5l5ce$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5664&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5664

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 13:53:25 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 18:53 UTC

"...w¡ñ§±¤ñ " <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

> T wrote on 4/14/2023 2:31 PM:
>> On 4/14/23 02:06, Andy Burns wrote:
>>> Intel driver assistant keeps upgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v31.a.b.c.
>>>
>>> Windows update keeps downgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v30.d.e.f
>>>
>>> The v30 seems flaky (odd shading on maps, odd shading when editing photos)
>>>
>>> How do I get them to call a truce?
>>>

>> I had something similar.  The M$ drive was garbage.
>>
>> I went to Intel.com, found their recommended drive
>> and downloaded it.  Then I went to Device Manager
>> and removed the M$ drive and installed the Intel
>> driver.  After a reboot, happy camping returned.
>>
>> And since the Intel drive was a higher revision, M$
>> left it alone.
>
> Fyi..MSFT discontinued releasing their modified code version of driver
> versions for OEM hardware with the advent of Windows 8.1. Everything is
> submitted by the OEM for use, the only change made and required
> contractually since 8.1 release is that Microsoft brand the driver with
> their name, version and digital certificate - the code is all
> manufacturer, not MSFT.
> If a manufacturer releases a later driver but doesn't see a need to
> replace an earlier submitted version, it's not submitted for distribution
> by Windows Update.

If the driver author doesn't see a need to submit a later driver to the
MS catalog, they should also not be pushing a later driver using their
own software updater. The problem is the WU catalog had the older
driver, but the OP was also using the Intel updater which retrieved a
later driver resulting in battling updaters. The OP is utilizing two
updaters, but the driver vendor isn't keeping the WU catalog in sync
with their own updater. In my opinion, it's the driver author that is
fucking up. It's not like Intel is some puny hardware maker that has no
experience with submits to Microsoft to update the WU catalog.

There is also the problem with the lag in the MS certification process.
Intel can make a new version visible to their own updater, but it can be
months before the new version shows up in the WU catalog. The OP did
not mention how long he has noticed the battling of updaters.

Seems odd Intel's updater forces the OP to change driver versions. I
suspect what is actually presented is a /choice/ to update, and the OP
seems to think he just must have the latest version. Been a long time
since I bothered with Intel's updater, but my recollection is you were
told about a new version, maybe told some info about what the new
version was supposed to add or fix, and it was still /your/ choice to
install the later version, or not. The description is see for it is:

"Using this utility, you will see a curated list of available updates
for your identified Intel products."

No mention that this utility forces the update. It lists *available*
updates, and it was the OP that made the choice, and with no knowledge
just what the new version was supposed to give him.

Re: Driver wars

<u1nr5s$3tlk6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5665&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5665

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 21:37:08 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 04:37 UTC

VanguardLH wrote on 4/18/2023 11:53 AM:
> "...w¡ñ§±¤ñ " <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Fyi..MSFT discontinued releasing their modified code version of driver
>> versions for OEM hardware with the advent of Windows 8.1. Everything is
>> submitted by the OEM for use, the only change made and required
>> contractually since 8.1 release is that Microsoft brand the driver with
>> their name, version and digital certificate - the code is all
>> manufacturer, not MSFT.
>> If a manufacturer releases a later driver but doesn't see a need to
>> replace an earlier submitted version, it's not submitted for distribution
>> by Windows Update.
>
> If the driver author doesn't see a need to submit a later driver to the
> MS catalog, they should also not be pushing a later driver using their
> own software updater.
That's been a pipe dream wish since Windows 95 or earlier.

> There is also the problem with the lag in the MS certification process.
> Intel can make a new version visible to their own updater, but it can be
> months before the new version shows up in the WU catalog.
See above, same wish.

> Seems odd Intel's updater forces the OP to change driver versions. I
> suspect what is actually presented is a /choice/ to update, and the OP
> seems to think he just must have the latest version.
Variation across the entire user ecosystem exists, but not as much as
many believe that Microsoft updates drivers.

This devices is running an Intel i7-8550 chip, Intel graphics on Win11
Pro, the last clean install on this disk(I've two SSD's one with a recent
2 month ond Win11 Pro Clean install and software) with this disk last
clean installed on Win10 in Aug 2020 for Win10 Pro 2004 - been upgraded
using WinUpdate including enablement packages since then)
- installing and running Intel's DSA(Driver and Support Assistant)
shows no Intel or other needed updates. The majority of driver for
hardware in Device manager with few exceptions are the OEM released
drivers(Intel, Realtek, Nvidia(two gpu on this device). One of the few
exceptions is the Intel Processor(i7-8850) driver(MSFT driver but and
Intel provided file intelppm.sys)
- i.e. Windows hasn't updated a driver for the most part in years.
- Intel's DSA doesn't force a user to update any driver.

> "Using this utility, you will see a curated list of available updates
> for your identified Intel products."
>
> No mention that this utility forces the update. It lists *available*
> updates, and it was the OP that made the choice, and with no knowledge
> just what the new version was supposed to give him.

The only few items I might update are the Intel and Nvidia GPu driver and
the wifi network(Intel) driver...the latter was updated by me in Aug.
2022. The Intel is using an Intel driver with a date of Feb. 2019
version(possibly installed by me after the W10P 2004 clean install or
provided by MSFT) and the Nvidia GPU with a Jan 2022 version).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Driver wars

<katgqeFba73U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5949&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5949

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 21:45:03 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 20:45 UTC

Paul wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Intel driver assistant keeps upgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v31.a.b.c.
>> Windows update keeps downgrading me to Intel Xe graphics v30.d.e.f
>> How do I get them to call a truce?
>
> sysdm.cpl : Hardware tab has this interface.
> https://i0.wp.com/pureinfotech.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/open-device-installation-settings.webp?w=412&quality=78&strip=all&ssl=1

All had been quiet since turning that off ... until installed KB5025305,
now we're back to shots fired ...

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Driver wars