"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." -- Will Rogers

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

SubjectAuthor
* Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerNomen Nescio
+* Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerKenW
|`* Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerSjouke Burry
| `- Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerNY
+- Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerPaul
`* Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerNomen Nescio
 +* Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerNil
 |+- Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerNY
 |`* Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerKen Blake
 | `* Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerNomen Nescio
 |  +* Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerNY
 |  |`* Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerNomen Nescio
 |  | `- Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerNY
 |  `- Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerNil
 `- Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & routerMichael Trew

1
Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<dc21835d7c4b1864679258c53767f927@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5809&group=alt.windows7.general#5809

From: nobody@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 02:02:52 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 01:02 UTC

I want to take my Windows XP box offline and hook up my Windows 7
computer to my present modem and router.

Am I going to have to reinstall the modem and router all over again
for the Windows 7 computer?

Are there other problems I should expect?

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<6gr70ip20i3m0okiuqse4417n3af3guodm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5810&group=alt.windows7.general#5810

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 18:20:16 -0700
 by: KenW - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 01:20 UTC

On Sun, 5 Mar 2023 02:02:52 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio
<nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

>I want to take my Windows XP box offline and hook up my Windows 7
>computer to my present modem and router.
>
>Am I going to have to reinstall the modem and router all over again
>for the Windows 7 computer?
>
>Are there other problems I should

Probably NO

KenW

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<nnd$629ad349$6eedbdda@857d178fa4833163>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5811&group=alt.windows7.general#5811

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 06:44:56 +0100
From: burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Sjouke Burry - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 05:44 UTC

On 05.03.23 2:20, KenW wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Mar 2023 02:02:52 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio
> <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>
>> I want to take my Windows XP box offline and hook up my Windows 7
>> computer to my present modem and router.
>>
>> Am I going to have to reinstall the modem and router all over again
>> for the Windows 7 computer?
>>
>> Are there other problems I should
>
> Probably NO
>

> KenW

Certainly no.
My desktop is XP Pro.
My laptop is win 7
Both working fine.

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<tu1nn0$19d4j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5812&group=alt.windows7.general#5812

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 04:34:24 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 09:34 UTC

On 3/4/2023 8:02 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> I want to take my Windows XP box offline and hook up my Windows 7
> computer to my present modem and router.
>
> Am I going to have to reinstall the modem and router all over again
> for the Windows 7 computer?
>
> Are there other problems I should expect?

This setup is quite common. Combo boxes mean only making one "box" purchase,
to gain four wired ports (and maybe a massive Wifi setup).

+--------------+
-----| modem/router |----- IPV4 NAT client computer router Uses PPPOE or
| combo box | IPV6 computer PPPOA or other protocol,
+--------------+ so authentication is in "Box"

This is my setup. A modem (a combo box in bridge mode),
plus a separate router. The computer on the right, is still not affected.

+--------------+ +--------------+
-----| modem |-----| router |----- IPV4 NAT client computer router Uses PPPOE or
+--------------+ +--------------+ so authentication is in "Box"
Modem and router have
different subnets (not an issue)

When we talk of "modem and router", it is NOT this configuration.
For this one, authentication is done by the OS, as the OS is
terminating PPPOA or PPPOE its own self. This is the least secure
way of doing it (exposure of Windows directly to Internet for scanning
by black hats). There are people using this setup, who have visited
USENET, but there aren't many of them. And they're stubborn too :-)
Just in case you were wondering whether they did this by accident.

+--------------+ +--------------+
-----| modem |-----| Win PC | OS does PPP authentication sequence.
| | | PPPOE session| Changing out Win box and using another
+--------------+ +--------------+ Win box, means setup work needs to be done.

*******

When you set up Wifi, I would expect some amount of work for that,
since Wifi is a separate authentication step of some sort, done at OS level.

Strangely, I have no Wifi host here, so cannot attest to how much work this is.
So far, I've only done point-to-point Wifi.

If it is anything like getting Bluetooth to work, or trying to get Miracast working,
there can be mondo geeky shit to do, and learning to be done. But you might have
noticed this the first time you set up the Wifi. If you didn't work hard (WPS), there's
a good chance your setup isn't all that secure either.

With Bluetooth, if you have booted the PC on one side, with two different Windows OSes,
the other side may "never forget", and keep calling the fucking computer by its old
name. This is part of the hell of trying to do Bluetooth "Send To". In addition,
if you have a Bluetooth nano USB2 thingy you plug in, DON'T move that between PCs.
My BT devices are marked according to which machine they belong to.

If you try to make Windows sounds go over Bluetooth, and come out the speakers
of a Linux box (which has its own Bluetooth nano thing), that's another configuration
the computer refuses to forget. So don't do that, OK ? :-)

The basic theme then, is anything involving radios, sucks :-) If I only had $0.05
for every hour wasted on this.

Paul

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<ba61822462ea9867951d3ebde5cb1208@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5813&group=alt.windows7.general#5813

From: nobody@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 22:00:01 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 21:00 UTC

In article <dc21835d7c4b1864679258c53767f927@dizum.com>
Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

> I want to take my Windows XP box offline and hook up my Windows 7
> computer to my present modem and router.
>
> Am I going to have to reinstall the modem and router all over again
> for the Windows 7 computer?
>
> Are there other problems I should expect?

I guess I didn't state my question correctly. but thanks to all who
answered my post.

This is the situation - I will no longer have my XP computer hooked
up to anything. It's got hardware problems and I don't want to spend
any more dollars on it.

The Windows 7 computer to replace it is empty except for Windows 7.
Will it work if I just hook it up to my modem and router, or do I
have install software to get it working with my modem and router?

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<XnsAFBEA61F878C7nilch1@wheedledeedle.moc>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5814&group=alt.windows7.general#5814

From: rednoise9@rednoise9.invalid (Nil)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 16:19:49 -0500
 by: Nil - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 21:19 UTC

On 05 Mar 2023, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in
alt.windows7.general:

> I guess I didn't state my question correctly. but thanks to all who
> answered my post.
>
> This is the situation - I will no longer have my XP computer hooked
> up to anything. It's got hardware problems and I don't want to spend
> any more dollars on it.
>
> The Windows 7 computer to replace it is empty except for Windows 7.
> Will it work if I just hook it up to my modem and router, or do I
> have install software to get it working with my modem and router?

You don't give us all the details of your setup so I have to make some
assumptions, namely that your old computer was hooked up to the router
with an Ethernet cable, not wireless, that the computer has an Ethernet
adapter installed and working, and that your router is set up to use
DHCP, that is, to assign IP addresses automatically to devices. If all
that is true, your new computer should connect to the Internet right
away when you connect the cable. Here's a decent general guide:

https://youtu.be/sRVpHPlSkP4

There are a number of things that can complicate the process. It would
needlessly complicate our answer to list them all now. If you have
trouble, let us know the precise symptoms and we can advise from there.

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<cjadndsQS5tKjpj5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5815&group=alt.windows7.general#5815

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 22:12:36 +0000
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: NY - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 22:12 UTC

On 05/03/2023 05:44, Sjouke Burry wrote:
> On 05.03.23 2:20, KenW wrote:
>> On Sun,  5 Mar 2023 02:02:52 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio
>> <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I want to take my Windows XP box offline and hook up my Windows 7
>>> computer to my present modem and router.
>>>
>>> Am I going to have to reinstall the modem and router all over again
>>> for the Windows 7 computer?
>>>
>>> Are there other problems I should
>>
>> Probably NO
>>

>> KenW
>>
> Certainly no.
> My desktop is XP Pro.
> My laptop is win 7
> Both working fine.

I agree. I can't think of anything that needs to be configured
differently from the default settings on Win 7 compared with Win XP to
allow the Win 7 PC to access the LAN. As long as TCP on the Win 7 is set
to use DHCP to request an IP address from the router (as opposed to the
IP being set statically at the PC) then it will "just work", both for an
Ethernet cable connection or a wifi connection. Using a static IP is not
a normal situation: the default for any computer (Windows or Linux) is
to use DHCP.

Will your Win 7 PC need to access shared drives/printers on other
computers on your local network? For example
"net use n: \\PC\sharename"? If so, you need to turn on "Private"
(rather than "Public") Network Profile in the Control Panel | Network
applet. If your Win 7 PC only needs to access the internet and not other
PCs on the LAN, then you don't need to worry about this.

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<tu4s3p$1n05n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5816&group=alt.windows7.general#5816

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 14:07:55 -0000
 by: NY - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 14:07 UTC

"Nil" <rednoise9@rednoise9.invalid> wrote in message
> On 05 Mar 2023, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in
> alt.windows7.general:
>
>> I guess I didn't state my question correctly. but thanks to all who
>> answered my post.
>>
>> This is the situation - I will no longer have my XP computer hooked
>> up to anything. It's got hardware problems and I don't want to spend
>> any more dollars on it.
>>
>> The Windows 7 computer to replace it is empty except for Windows 7.
>> Will it work if I just hook it up to my modem and router, or do I
>> have install software to get it working with my modem and router?
>
> You don't give us all the details of your setup so I have to make some
> assumptions, namely that your old computer was hooked up to the router
> with an Ethernet cable, not wireless, that the computer has an Ethernet
> adapter installed and working, and that your router is set up to use
> DHCP, that is, to assign IP addresses automatically to devices. If all
> that is true, your new computer should connect to the Internet right
> away when you connect the cable. Here's a decent general guide:
>
> https://youtu.be/sRVpHPlSkP4
>
> There are a number of things that can complicate the process. It would
> needlessly complicate our answer to list them all now. If you have
> trouble, let us know the precise symptoms and we can advise from there.

A standard computer/network setup should just work, without any fuss at all.
That's assuming that the Win 7 PC has an Ethernet card, is connected to the
router by Ethernet cable, and is set to receive an IP address from the
router (using DHCP) and the router is set to allocate IP addresses by DHCP.
Those are the default settings, so it's unlikely that you will have changed
them. If the PC uses wifi rather than Ethernet cable, there is the added
step of getting it to scan for wifi networks and connecting to the chosen
one by giving the network's (router's) WPA security key on the first
occasion (it will remember and connect automatically after that).

See how it goes. Shout if you have problems.

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<b8vb0ip8mgacoj3l4va5c89tjaujkqd4na@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5817&group=alt.windows7.general#5817

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 07:52:12 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 14:52 UTC

On Sun, 05 Mar 2023 16:19:49 -0500, Nil <rednoise9@rednoise9.invalid>
wrote:

>On 05 Mar 2023, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in
>alt.windows7.general:
>
>> I guess I didn't state my question correctly. but thanks to all who
>> answered my post.
>>
>> This is the situation - I will no longer have my XP computer hooked
>> up to anything. It's got hardware problems and I don't want to spend
>> any more dollars on it.
>>
>> The Windows 7 computer to replace it is empty except for Windows 7.
>> Will it work if I just hook it up to my modem and router, or do I
>> have install software to get it working with my modem and router?
>
>You don't give us all the details of your setup so I have to make some
>assumptions, namely that your old computer was hooked up to the router
>with an Ethernet cable, not wireless,

I can't be completely sure, of course, but as far as I'm concerned,
"hooked up" mean it has to be ethernet. There's no hooking up with
wireless.

>that the computer has an Ethernet
>adapter installed and working,

If it didn't, he would know he couldn't hook it up.

>and that your router is set up to use
>DHCP, that is, to assign IP addresses automatically to devices. If all
>that is true, your new computer should connect to the Internet right
>away when you connect the cable.

I think all those assumptions are warranted. If any of them wasn't
true, almost certainly he would have mentioned them.

>Here's a decent general guide:
>
>https://youtu.be/sRVpHPlSkP4
>
>There are a number of things that can complicate the process. It would
>needlessly complicate our answer to list them all now. If you have
>trouble, let us know the precise symptoms and we can advise from there.

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<e85675b0a66d94ed6f59b8c8b60618a3@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5818&group=alt.windows7.general#5818

From: nobody@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 22:27:50 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 21:27 UTC

On Mon, 06 Mar 2023 07:52:12 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Mar 2023 16:19:49 -0500, Nil <rednoise9@rednoise9.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On 05 Mar 2023, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in
>>alt.windows7.general:
>>>
>>> The Windows 7 computer to replace it is empty except for Windows 7.
>>> Will it work if I just hook it up to my modem and router, or do I
>>> have install software to get it working with my modem and router?

DEL

>>I can't be completely sure, of course, but as far as I'm concerned,
>>"hooked up" mean it has to be ethernet. There's no hooking up with
>>wireless.
>>
>>that the computer has an Ethernet
>>adapter installed and working,
>
>If it didn't, he would know he couldn't hook it up.
>
>>and that your router is set up to use
>>DHCP, that is, to assign IP addresses automatically to devices. If all
>>that is true, your new computer should connect to the Internet right
>>away when you connect the cable.
>
>I think all those assumptions are warranted. If any of them wasn't
>true, almost certainly he would have mentioned them.

My XP setup is wired with ethernet cables. No wifi. I don't trust
wireless for my home network. Too many smart troublemakers around.

It seems I did find that I copied jpg's of all my network setups when
I set it all up many, many years ago. They are safe of an external
drive.

Now, if I'm assuming correctly from your answers. that if my modem
and router have been setup correctly and working through all these
years, that my Windows 7 should just pick up the settings when
connected with the ethernet cables. (?)

My real problem is that if I screw up and my wife's comp loses it's
conection to the internet through my screw up, I'll probably end up
sleeping on a cot in the garage for a few weeks. :o(

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<rFadnUksL6tZ7Jv5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5819&group=alt.windows7.general#5819

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 23:05:40 +0000
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: NY - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 23:05 UTC

On 06/03/2023 21:27, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> My real problem is that if I screw up and my wife's comp loses it's
> conection to the internet through my screw up, I'll probably end up
> sleeping on a cot in the garage for a few weeks. :o(

About the only way that you could screw up the network is if the Win 7
PC is configured to use a static IP address which happens by sheer bad
luck to be the same as the one that the router has handed out to your
wife's PC. But it's unlikely that the PC would have been set up with a
static address, and even if it had, you'd be very unlucky to happen to
choose the same address, out of a choice of 253 different values, that
the router had given your wife's PC.

And if anything did go wrong (highly unlikely) you'd only need to turn
off or unplug your PC and hers would work again. And we could talk you
through changing the config if that was the case.

If you want to make absolutely certain, do this before you connect the
PC to the router:

- Control Panel | Network

- Change adaptor settings

- Right click on Ethernet icon (if there is more than one, choose the
one that does not have a red cross)

- Properties

- Scroll down the list and left-click on Internet Protocol Version 4
(TCP IPv4)

- Properties

"Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address
automatically" should be selected

"Cancel" to exit the form without changing anything,

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<XnsAFBFDFFB97820nilch1@wheedledeedle.moc>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5820&group=alt.windows7.general#5820

From: rednoise9@rednoise9.invalid (Nil)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 22:01:06 -0500
 by: Nil - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 03:01 UTC

On 06 Mar 2023, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in
alt.windows7.general:

> Now, if I'm assuming correctly from your answers. that if my modem
> and router have been setup correctly and working through all these
> years, that my Windows 7 should just pick up the settings when
> connected with the ethernet cables. (?)
>
> My real problem is that if I screw up and my wife's comp loses
> it's conection to the internet through my screw up, I'll probably
> end up sleeping on a cot in the garage for a few weeks. :o(

You will not affect the other computers on your network by connecting a
new one. The worst that could happen is your new computer won't connect
to the Internet, in which case you will have to troubleshoot it.

Don't overthink this. Just connect the new computer. Chances are
everything will be fine, but if not deal with it then.

One think I just though of - make sure your new computer has a
different name than the old one. This might avoid complications sharing
resources between the computers on your network.

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<5cc5651468bffc625bf5fdf8c4427656@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5821&group=alt.windows7.general#5821

From: nobody@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 04:53:27 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 03:53 UTC

In article <rFadnUksL6tZ7Jv5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

DEL

> If you want to make absolutely certain, do this before you connect the
> PC to the router:
>
> - Control Panel | Network
>
> - Change adaptor settings
>
> - Right click on Ethernet icon (if there is more than one, choose the
> one that does not have a red cross)
>
> - Properties
>
> - Scroll down the list and left-click on Internet Protocol Version 4
> (TCP IPv4)
>
> - Properties
>
> "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address
> automatically" should be selected
>
> "Cancel" to exit the form without changing anything,

I don't have that menu on my XP Pro (sp 3). The menus I have do have
only have Set Up or Create choices. I went a few steps into each menu
and did not come up with any simple Change setting for anything. The
rest of the choices were too risky to click on. I do not want to
screw up my present system. I'm just going to forget about his until
I setup my Windows 7 computer. I'll worry about all this stuff then.
I did this nonsense years ago when I knew nothing, so I figure I'll
get through it again somehow.

Thanks to all for wasting your time with this. :o)

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<tu84j1$hkc1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5822&group=alt.windows7.general#5822

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 19:51:04 -0000
 by: NY - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 19:51 UTC

"Nomen Nescio" <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in message
>> If you want to make absolutely certain, do this before you connect the
>> PC to the router:
>>
>> - Control Panel | Network and Sharing
>>
>> - Change adaptor settings
>>
>> - Right click on Ethernet icon (if there is more than one, choose the
>> one that does not have a red cross)
>>
>> - Properties
>>
>> - Scroll down the list and left-click on Internet Protocol Version 4
>> (TCP IPv4)
>>
>> - Properties
>>
>> "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address
>> automatically" should be selected
>>
>> "Cancel" to exit the form without changing anything,
>
> I don't have that menu on my XP Pro (sp 3). The menus I have do have
> only have Set Up or Create choices. I went a few steps into each menu
> and did not come up with any simple Change setting for anything. The
> rest of the choices were too risky to click on. I do not want to
> screw up my present system. I'm just going to forget about his until
> I setup my Windows 7 computer. I'll worry about all this stuff then.
> I did this nonsense years ago when I knew nothing, so I figure I'll
> get through it again somehow.

Ah, I was actually referring to your new Win 7 PC rather than your old Win
XP one. I actually wrote the instructions by looking on my Win 10 laptop (I
was in bed and couldn't be arsed to get up to check my Win 7 PC), so I'm
glad that Win 7 is very similar. Win 7 seems to call the icons "Local Area
Connection" rather than "Ethernet" but otherwise everything is the same.

It's a while since I've looked at the corresponding settings for Win XP,
because I keep my XP machine off the LAN (in case of virus vulnerability)
and transfer any files to/from it by USB hard disk. I only use it
occasionally for digitising analogue video (eg from VHS) because it has a
PCI capture card which gives better picture quality than any USB digitiser
that I've tried.

> Thanks to all for wasting your time with this. :o)

No sharing of knowledge is ever a waste of time ;-) Glad to try and help.

Re: Question about hooking up Win 7 to the modem & router

<tu8al4$ik8v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5823&group=alt.windows7.general#5823

From: michael.trew@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 16:34:30 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 21:34 UTC

On 3/5/2023 16:00, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> I guess I didn't state my question correctly. but thanks to all who
> answered my post.
>
> This is the situation - I will no longer have my XP computer hooked
> up to anything. It's got hardware problems and I don't want to spend
> any more dollars on it.
>
> The Windows 7 computer to replace it is empty except for Windows 7.
> Will it work if I just hook it up to my modem and router, or do I
> have install software to get it working with my modem and router?

I'm assuming that since you have a router separate from the modem, you
don't sign into DSL or the like on your desktop of the old machine.
Your router does that for you.

If you have a wired Ethernet connection from the router, it is as simple
as plugging the Ethernet jack into the new machine. If you have a
wireless connection, you'll have to set that up on the new machine like
the old. No software required; Windows 7 is more plug and play.