From: dog_cow@macgui.com (D Finnigan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Re: New way for ]['s to go online?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 12:55:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: D Finnigan - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 12:55 UTC

Barana wrote:
> So correct me if im wrong, this looks like a hardware TLS protocol
> mcu ... for IOT devices, arduino, an atmel chip that sits in
> between a device and tha interweb so that TLS-less devices can
> connect to ssl/TLS services....
> Rather cool. on a card..in a ][?
> not too different than a wiznet...
> hmm alongside a wiznet?
> https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Atmel-45176-Harde
> ning-Transport-Layer-Security-for-IoT_Flyer.pdf

I'm not so sure that that is the primary purpose of this device. The
description sounds more like its purpose is certificate-based
authentication.

From the PDF that you referred to:
-------------

The Atmel® Hardware-TLS (HW-TLS) software libraries for wolfSSL and OpenSSL
enable hardware-based elliptic curve mutual authentication for TLS using the
Atmel CryptoAuthenticationTM ATECC508A Crypto co-processor. Currently, de-
signers of embedded systems and IoT devices relying solely on TLS for
network/ecosystem security have few options for strongly authenticating the
identity or origin of the remote device. In addition, certificates and
private keys are currently stored in software, which leaves them more
vulnerable to attack. With Atmel HW-TLS support libraries, system designers
using wolfSSL or OpenSSL can take advantage of Atmel Crypto hardware to
enable strong mutual authentication between communicating devices as well as
for storing keys, certificates and other sensitive data in a protected
hardware device.

The wolfSSL and OpenSSL libraries allow customers using those software
packages to harden their networks on the transport layer with the ATECC508A
device. Unlike other hardware solutions that only offer encryption and hash
acceleration, the ATECC508A embeds a root of trust within the chip that
provides a unique, verifiable identity within each device that uses it.
Encryption is necessary, but it only prevents eavesdropping and cannot
verify the identity of the other party. Using the ATECC508A, you can now
verify the identity of the entity with whom you are communicating.
Additionally, with the Atmel
HW-TLS libraries from wolfSSL and OpenSSL, users can significantly enhance
TLS communication security by implementing hardware-based authentication and
secure key storage.

Atmel HW-TLS also makes it easy to implement strong elliptic curve
authentication on the transport layer as well as the application layer.

Key Features
• Elliptic Curve Authentication enables robust identification of autonomous
IoT nodes
• Secure Hardware Key Storage for TLS implementations to protect security
keys from intrusion as well as physical attacks
• Cryptographic Co-Processor for rapid authentication and key agreement
processing; low power sleep mode, and code space reduction for host
processors
• Flexible software and APIs to allow custom Application Layer security
needs beyond TLS
• Atmel Certified-ID platform for secure provisioning of any IoT or cloud
ecosystem
• Readily available solution with downloadable software packages for
wolfSSL, OpenSSL and Atmel Studio supporting the ATECC508A device

--
]DF$
The New Apple II User's Guide: