From: dog_cow@macgui.com (D Finnigan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: TLS proxy, was Re: New way for ]['s to go online?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 12:59:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: D Finnigan - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 12:59 UTC

Barana wrote:
> So correct me if im wrong, this looks like a hardware TLS protocol
> mcu ... for IOT devices, arduino, an atmel chip that sits in
> between a device and tha interweb so that TLS-less devices can
> connect to ssl/TLS services....

By the way, after several weeks of research, I came to the conclusion for
myself that the least-complicated way to get TLS access for old Apple
computers is to use an Apache web server with its TLS proxy modules.

What you do is to send a GET request to the proxy web server which has a
fully-qualified URL, ie, https://macgui.com/vault/ in the GET line.

The web server proxies this request, then returns the HTTP response back to
the client (my Apple II, or whatever) as plaintext.

Note that the proxy also takes care of a DNS lookup.

This proxy server could be local to your home network, or it could be hosted
on the public Internet.

The Apache web server can also proxy FTP requests through HTTP.

--
]DF$
The New Apple II User's Guide:

Re: TLS proxy, was Re: New way for ]['s to go online?

<tj9ll0$1gg6$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5859&group=comp.sys.apple2#5859

From: ol.sc@web.de (Oliver Schmidt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Re: TLS proxy, was Re: New way for ]['s to go online?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 21:49:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Oliver Schmidt - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 21:49 UTC

Hi,

> [...] This proxy server could be local to your home network, or it could be hosted
> on the public Internet.

....or it could run on a Raspberry Pi connected via a short patch cable
directly to your Uthernet II. Then the Raspberry Pi could also work like a
wireless bridge for the Apple II. Additionally you could run other programs
on the Raspberry Pi:
- ADTPro Virtual Ethernet Drive
- Emai//er Email Gateway (http://bobbi.epizy.com/?i=1)
- ...