From: someone@somewhere.com (Speccie)
Subject: Re: New way for ]['s to go online?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 07:43:18 +0100
 by: Speccie - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 06:43 UTC

Barana,

> So correct me if im wrong, this looks like a hardware TLS protocol
> mcu ... for IOT devices, arduino, an atmel chip that sits in
> between a device and tha interweb so that TLS-less devices can
> connect to ssl/TLS services....
> Rather cool. on a card..in a ][?
> not too different than a wiznet...
> hmm alongside a wiznet?
> https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Atmel-45176-Harde
> ning-Transport-Layer-Security-for-IoT_Flyer.pdf
>
> bobbi manners are you reading this?
> Speccie?

Interesting. I am not a hardware guy, so cannot immediately help with this. If it was between an Uthernet card and the net, then we should not need to do anything with Marinetti, but if it was instead of an Uthernet card, then we would need a new Link Layer which I could help with...

Cheers - Ewen (Speccie)

Re: New way for ]['s to go online?

<tjb3nn$22b8$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5863&group=comp.sys.apple2#5863

From: ol.sc@web.de (Oliver Schmidt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 10:55:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Oliver Schmidt - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 10:55 UTC

Hi Ewen,

> [...] but if it was instead of an Uthernet card, then we would need a new
> Link Layer which I could help with...

Network devices with hardware encryption support to be used for SSL/TLS all
have this issue:

A "modern" (e.g. Linux) program using SSL does so in user space, not in the
OS kernel. But the device comes with an OS driver. Therefore those devices
have proprietary (usually very complex) interfaces to interact with the
user space program. That interaction is encapsulated in patched versions of
popular SSL libraries.

So for Marinetti to make use of the encryption features of such a device,
it would need to
a) support that complex interaction. E.g. typically, the very expensive
asymmetric SSL handshake isn't done by the device at all. Rather it "only"
does the symmetric stream encryption.
b) supply an API to GS/OS program allowing to declare that SSL is desired.

From my perspective, a device targeting low end IoT scenarios would be
_way_ more suited to "our" use case.

However, such a device would pose its own challenges for GS/OS. Such
devices allow to open - typically one - TCP connection to a hostname. And
that connection can optionally be a secure one (aka SSL/TLS). But that
implies that the whole TCP/IP stack is implemented on the device, not on
the "host".

So such a device can't be used _with_ Marinetti. It can only be used
_instead_of_ Marinetti. Maybe one could create a Marinetti-compatible
interface for such a device allowing some/many/most Marinetti programs to
work with it instead of Marinetti.

Regards,
Oliver

Re: New way for ]['s to go online?

<0001HW.290A5FA414B39CDB7000089D12EF@eu.astraweb.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5865&group=comp.sys.apple2#5865

From: someone@somewhere.com (Speccie)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 07:41:40 +0100
 by: Speccie - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 06:41 UTC

Oliver,

> So such a device can't be used _with_ Marinetti. It can only be used
> _instead_of_ Marinetti. Maybe one could create a Marinetti-compatible
> interface for such a device allowing some/many/most Marinetti programs to
> work with it instead of Marinetti.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Cheers - Ewen