From: anthk@disroot.org (Bozo User)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Subject: Re: Is Diablo Win95 ONLY???
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 10:42:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bozo User - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 10:42 UTC

On 2018-10-16, Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> thing was really annoying. So if I was going to have dual boot anyway,
> why bother with Windows95?
>

> So there were a number of good reasons why people looked askance at
> Windows95 and wondered why we couldn't just stay with DOS. After all,
> DOS had worked well enough to get us classics like Warcraft, Wing
> Commander III, so its not like DOS wasn't a capable gaming platform.
> Meanwhile, Win95 was unproven, top-heavy and the only real point of
> comparison people had was Windows 3.1. It is no surprise that there
> was such an outcry.
>
> (Myself, I was fairly slow to upgrade to Win9x, moving over only in
> late '96 or early '97. All the games I was interested in were
> DOS-based, and I had customized Win3x to be quite usable. I was less
> concerned with the performance issue than I was with the new learning
> curve and saw no advantage to the new OS. Even afterwards, I still
> maintained a dual-boot, often switching back to DOS and Win3x. While
> not overtly hostile to Win95 - I knew eventually I would have to
> upgrade - I understood some of the anger espoused by other users. DOS
> worked, so why mess around with that?)
>
> Ultimately, Windows would prove itself the better platform but it took
> several years and it really wasn't until Windows98 that its victory
> was assured. Oddly enough, Windows' biggest advantage to gaming was
> one that was almost invisible to the player. It wasn't any performance
> gains, or the UI, or the Add/Remove Programs installers: it was
> drivers. Although we take Windows drivers for granted now, they were a
> radical new idea in 1995.
>
> In DOS, if a game wanted to support the Soundblaster AWE, or 3DFX, or
> a Thrustmaster joystick, or a Zoom modem, the game developer would
> have to write drivers for each piece of hardware. Especially given the
> proliferation of new hardware in the mid to late 90s, this was a
> daunting task. Win9x simplified this by offering a decent hardware
> abstraction layer. Now the hardware manufacturers provided the driver
> which alerted the OS - and any game running on Win9x - as to that
> hardwares capabilities. It greatly simplified the developer's job,
> allowed better scaling of game to computers capabilities and allowed
> developers to better make use of more esoteric features of hardware.
> Meanwhile, on the end-user side, the gamer could just plug in a game
> without worrying if it would work with his joystick or sound-card.
> Without this significant advantage, Win9x probably would not have made
> the quick inroads to PC gaming as it did.
>
> Anyway, its easy to look back and think "oh, those silly gamers of
> 1995!" but their concerns were valid and justified at the time.
> Windows 95 was unproven, Microsoft had a bad track record when it came
> to its operating systems, there were no real indications that things
> would improve, and the performance hits were significant. It is no
> wonder people were clamoring for DOS versions of new games.

Well, that was true up to Quake I. Later, with Quake II,
DirectX gave more performance
on gaming than with the pure and raw DOS system calls.

Re: Is Diablo Win95 ONLY???

<72e4li1mia7mh53tokcvbg5buas98o8ctv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=601&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg#601

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 10:11:51 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 15:11 UTC

On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 10:42:52 -0000 (UTC), Bozo User
<anthk@disroot.org> wrote:

>Well, that was true up to Quake I. Later, with Quake II,
>DirectX gave more performance
>on gaming than with the pure and raw DOS system calls.

I mean, yes and no?

There weren't really any DOS system calls for most hardware; DOS was
extremely bare-boned after all and beyond support for very basic video
routines, there wasn't much it could do for games. That's why almost
every game developer who wrote DOS games made their own video routines
to access the video hardware directly, bypassing DOS. And with full
access to the hardware, performance could (and in some cases did)
easily surpass that of even the best DirectX access, just because
there were fewer hoops to jump through.

The downside, though, was that the developer had to code directly to
the hardware, which essentially meant writing their own drivers for
each and every piece of hardware. This was a monumental task that
required a huge amount of effort (so much so that most DOS game
developers just outsourced it), potentially led to bugs or poor
performance, and heaven help the poor gamer who didn't have hardware
on the pre-approved list of compatible video-cards. The big advantage
to DirectX was not so much that it could out-perform bare-metal
programming, but that it was much more convenient, much easier, and
less expensive and time-consuming for the developers. It's performance
was close enough to bare-metal too, that that any discrepancies
between the two were far outweighed by the advantages to consumer and
developer.

But you could have get better performance if you coded directly to the
hardware... which meant DOS (or a variation of Linux, or a home-coded
OS) and not Windows.

But ultimately, it's all moot. With a huge proliferation in the
variety of hardware, there was no way game developers could keep up
with coding directly to the thousands of different sound and video
chipsets, so they would never have been able to take advantage of that
potentially superior performance. Even in 1995, DOS gamers were lucky
if a developer offered a patch that let them take full advantage of
their 3DFX or Virge video card so it could run in accelerated mode. As
CPUs became more powerful, the hit from the hardware abstraction layer
became less and less significant too. And the other advantages of
Windows95 - networking, multi-tasking, etc. - proved too popular
amongst users for DOS to ever win out.

But in 1995 - when most people thought "Windows 3.1" when thinking of
Windows, and 486s remained the most-used CPU - there were real
concerns about the viability of Windows95.