From: pj@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Using an alias in Outlook365.
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 12:25:50 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 02:25 UTC

Being new to this, I want to use an alias, like in the past, and NOT
my real user name. Where can I find this, and is "alias" the proper
term?

Re: Using an alias in Outlook365.

<u2j3qc$2uup2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6031&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#6031

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Using an alias in Outlook365.
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 08:50:19 -0400
 by: ...winston - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 12:50 UTC

Peter Jason wrote:
> Being new to this, I want to use an alias, like in the past, and NOT
> my real user name. Where can I find this, and is "alias" the proper
> term?

Alias for MSA's are added in the online Microsoft account.
The MSFT account used to purchase and register M365 Office(standalone,
Family, Personal) is the address of record for use.

An alias can also be just another email address in same MSA account
which can be used to send/receive email as the primary address or
optional secondary address.

i.e. you have some limit on how you use and purpose of using an alias
One thing you cannot do, is change the Family or Personal subscription
to another email address. To do so, one would need to let the
subscription expire, then purchase under the new email address(e.g. the
alias).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Using an alias in Outlook365.

<7alt4il51gp79hepoh2eq2hlpfphe9v54m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6112&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#6112

From: pj@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 06:56:12 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 20:56 UTC

On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 08:50:19 -0400, "...winston"
<winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

>Peter Jason wrote:
>> Being new to this, I want to use an alias, like in the past, and NOT
>> my real user name. Where can I find this, and is "alias" the proper
>> term?
>>
>Alias for MSA's are added in the online Microsoft account.
> The MSFT account used to purchase and register M365 Office(standalone,
>Family, Personal) is the address of record for use.
>

> An alias can also be just another email address in same MSA account
>which can be used to send/receive email as the primary address or
>optional secondary address.
>
> i.e. you have some limit on how you use and purpose of using an alias
>One thing you cannot do, is change the Family or Personal subscription
>to another email address. To do so, one would need to let the
>subscription expire, then purchase under the new email address(e.g. the
>alias).

Thanks, I think I meant "Profile", which I have never used before.
All I need is a way to have my other (trade) name appear on the emails
instead of the user 365 name, to avoid confusion with customers after
my MSoft Outlook365 chaneover.
Is this possible?

Re: Using an alias in Outlook365.

<u2ng2m$10nn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6118&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#6118

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 00:44:05 -0400
 by: ...winston - Mon, 1 May 2023 04:44 UTC

Peter Jason wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 08:50:19 -0400, "...winston"
> <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Peter Jason wrote:
>>> Being new to this, I want to use an alias, like in the past, and NOT
>>> my real user name. Where can I find this, and is "alias" the proper
>>> term?
>>>
>> Alias for MSA's are added in the online Microsoft account.
>> The MSFT account used to purchase and register M365 Office(standalone,
>> Family, Personal) is the address of record for use.
>>

>> An alias can also be just another email address in same MSA account
>> which can be used to send/receive email as the primary address or
>> optional secondary address.
>>
>> i.e. you have some limit on how you use and purpose of using an alias
>> One thing you cannot do, is change the Family or Personal subscription
>> to another email address. To do so, one would need to let the
>> subscription expire, then purchase under the new email address(e.g. the
>> alias).
>
> Thanks, I think I meant "Profile", which I have never used before.
> All I need is a way to have my other (trade) name appear on the emails
> instead of the user 365 name, to avoid confusion with customers after
> my MSoft Outlook365 chaneover.
> Is this possible?

Clarify a bit further.
You want the recipient to see your name and not your current Microsoft
email address(where the current email address is the email address you
use to purchase/install Microsoft 365(aka Office 365 which includes
Outlook).
or
You want the recipient to see your name and a different email address
or
You want the recipient to only see your name(regardless of what email
address is used)

You also might need to clarify what you mean by 'Profile', to most
using Windows - a profile(a Microsoft or Local Account) is associated
with the name you logon to Windows. That profile also extends(goes
deeper) to the folder that is default for your files in Windows
e.g. C:\Users\<windows logon name>
or in Windows, in the 'Run' Command or File Explorer address bar just
enter
%userprofile%

If you are referring to something like what you see in the email message
you are about to send in the From field - the From field in the message
compose windows displays the 'Account name' configured content in the
account:
Outlook/File/Account Settings/<drop down arrow in Account
Settings'box'/Account name and Sync settings
That setting also has an option for 'Your name'
The recipient would see the 'Your name' field content(if their client
supports displaying it), i.e. not 'Account name' - the recipient would
also see(in their client) the sending email address.

--

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Using an alias in Outlook365.