Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 13:08:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Times of Lore Easter Egg
From: rich.martin@gmail.com (datawiz)
 by: datawiz - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 20:08 UTC

Times of Lore is an action RPG from Origin late in the Apple II's lifecycle, and it sports some really great graphics and gameplay, in fact, that last batch of Origin Apple II games in the late 1980s were incredibly well done (Times of Lore, Knight's of Legend, Tangled Tales).

When it came out, I remember being in awe of the graphics and animation of that opening title screen, and I would sit there looking at it, trying to figure out how the code behind the scenes worked, all while it was looping over and over. I vaguely remember one time when it looped through the animation of the castle doors opening, when I wasn't fixated on it, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that the door opening animation was longer than normal, and then I realized something else was moving in the background of the scene. I just missed it as the doors closed again, and the next iteration of the animation showed nothing out of the ordinary. I must have lost interest pretty quickly after that, or maybe decided I was seeing things that weren't there, and I moved on with life.

Decades later, I am looking through some disk images and come across Times of Lore. That weird memory was still hiding under a loose floorboard in my mind attic and never got tossed away, and as soon as I saw the opening animation it sprug forth and rattled my mind. But now this was different, I am older, (debatably) wiser, and have emulation and a (slightly) better knowledge of 6502 assembly. It was time to determine what the truth was- Does Times of Lore have a weird easter egg in the title animation, or not?

The answer is YES, it does, and it was absolutely magical to find it this afternoon. If you would like to see it yourself then boot up Times of Lore for the Apple II. Let it progress through the initial title screen where the words "Times of Lore" are being etched into a stone tablet and inlaid with the finest HGR-colored gold. Then, wait patiently as the title animates into the doors of a great castle opening up to expose the world that awaits you (and almost certain death). Now, watch the introduction animation scene 31 more times.

Or if you are like me and demand instant gratification, using the emulator of your choice (or real hardware if that's your jam), pause the game and enter the memory editor. Edit memory to set 1CBB: EA EA. Return to the game and watch as the next (and subsequent) animations will reveal what was hidden for so long. Thank you to Chris Roberts and his team for a great Apple II game and a cool Easter Egg.

Oh, if this has already been found, then never mind.