From: sqwertzme@gmail.invalid (Sqwertz)
Subject: [Dialog] Server returned article 0
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 12:09:07 -0500
 by: Sqwertz - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 17:09 UTC

[Oops - I'm been posting in the wrong newsgroup. Duh!]

I'm still getting this error message in Dialog after I had
to set up brand new install of the software from scratch.

https://i.postimg.cc/wBBLcwCw/Server-Returned-Article-0.jpg

Articles are retrieved just fine - there was no error, but
the server *is* responding with an invalid sequence according to
specs. I have no way to filter variable text error message, my
only choice is to silence ALL error messages every time I boot up
Dialog,Which prevents me from seeing actual errors.

The NNTP conversation goes like this:

0 20952687: Getting 1 article in rec.food.cooking from
usnews.blocknews.net (Finished) [$00001094]
0 20952687: !ARTICLE 2169143 (Finished) [$00001094]
0 20952796: 220 0 <tcf00v$2elnt$7@dont-email.me> (Finished)
[$00001094]
0 20952796: Path: not-for-mail (Finished) [$00001094]
0 20952796: From:....
[Article snipped]
5 20952812: When asking for article 2169143, server returned
article 0. (Finished) [$00001094]

Which does appear to be an invalid response for an ARTICLE
command when the client requests by Article Number. That '0' in
the 220 status (line 3) should be the same article # requested.

6.2.1. ARTICLE

6.2.1.1. Usage

Indicating capability: READER

Syntax
ARTICLE message-id
ARTICLE number
ARTICLE

First form (message-id specified)
220 0|n message-id Article follows (multi-line)
430 No article with that message-id

Second form (article number specified)
220 n message-id Article follows (multi-line)
412 No newsgroup selected
423 No article with that number

Third form (current article number used)
220 n message-id Article follows (multi-line)
412 No newsgroup selected
420 Current article number is invalid

Parameters
number Requested article number
n Returned article number
message-id Article message-id

But I find it too much of a co-incidence that this only started
happening after a new install of Dialog. And Dialog shouldn't be
interpreting any 2xx response code as an error. It took that upon
iteslf.

If its a server error, why haven't more people(or newsreaders)
complained about it? These are the Highwinds servers, IIRC,
who's backends probably serve at least half of the Usenet traffic
(or a least a lot of it). And if I do escalate the issue to
the server people, they're likely to come back and just say
"220 is not an error. Your newsreader is interpreting it
incorrectly", even though it is a malformed NNTP defined
response.

There does not seme to be a setting to retrieve articles buy
MID rather than Article #, in which case hat WOULD be a valid
220 response.

Is there another setting in Dialog that may affect this before I
make a submit support request? Is anybody else using Dialog and
the Highwinds backends that can confirm or deny their 220

-sw

Re: [Dialog] Server returned article 0

<1c7hxecgj1c2e$.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=664&group=news.software.readers#664

From: sqwertzme@gmail.invalid (Sqwertz)
Subject: Re: [Dialog] Server returned article 0
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 10:42:15 -0500
 by: Sqwertz - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:42 UTC

On Mon, 22 Aug 2022 12:09:07 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> [...]
> iteslf.
>
> If its a server error, why haven't more people(or newsreaders)
> complained about it? These are the Highwinds servers, IIRC,
> who's backends probably serve at least half of the Usenet traffic
> (or a least a lot of it). And if I do escalate the issue to
> the server people, they're likely to come back and just say
> "220 is not an error. Your newsreader is interpreting it
> incorrectly", even though it is a malformed NNTP defined
> response.
>
> There does not seme to be a setting to retrieve articles buy
> MID rather than Article #, in which case hat WOULD be a valid
> 220 response.
>
> Is there another setting in Dialog that may affect this before I
> make a submit support request? Is anybody else using Dialog and
> the Highwinds backends that can confirm or deny their 220

I submitted a nbug report through Blocknews.net and Highwinds
fixed it within 24 hours and rolled it out gradually. And it is
indeed fixed now. Kudos to Highwinds and Blocknews support.

-sw