Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: This is a test
From: salfter@localhost (none)
Originator: salfter@localhost.(none) (Scott Alfter)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 21:59:54 GMT
 by: none - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 21:59 UTC

Just testing to see if this trn installation sets my email address on send.

Re: This is a test

<dog_cow-1702957820@macgui.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6322&group=comp.sys.apple2#6322

From: dog_cow@macgui.com (D Finnigan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Re: This is a test
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 03:50:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: D Finnigan - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 03:50 UTC

none wrote:
> Just testing to see if this trn installation sets my email address on
> send.

Scott, you're lucky we're a friendly group, otherwise someone would come
around and annihilate you with the photon torpedoes for posting a test
message outside of a designated testing newsgroup.

:-P

Re: This is a test

<87cyv210p8.fsf@diamond.home>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6325&group=comp.sys.apple2#6325

From: hemphill@hemphills.net (Scott Hemphill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 13:55:47 -0500
 by: Scott Hemphill - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 18:55 UTC

D Finnigan <dog_cow@macgui.com> writes:

> none wrote:
>> Just testing to see if this trn installation sets my email address on
>> send.
>>

> Scott, you're lucky we're a friendly group, otherwise someone would come
> around and annihilate you with the photon torpedoes for posting a test
> message outside of a designated testing newsgroup.

Another friendly response might be: "Your test failed--it showed up in
the wrong newsgroup."

However, I'd like to point out that the OP's From: address has an invalid
syntax. Instead of a top-level domain of "(none)", he should use
"invalid". I believe that is in an eternal-september FAQ.

Scott
--
Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
"This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

Re: This is a test

<%6RgN.75561$c3Ea.47812@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6344&group=comp.sys.apple2#6344

Sender: Scott Alfter <salfter@linode.ip.linodeusercontent.com>
From: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:42:03 GMT
 by: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:42 UTC

Scott Hemphill <hemphill@hemphills.net> wrote:
> D Finnigan <dog_cow@macgui.com> writes:
>
>> none wrote:
>>> Just testing to see if this trn installation sets my email address on
>>> send.
>>>

>> Scott, you're lucky we're a friendly group, otherwise someone would come
>> around and annihilate you with the photon torpedoes for posting a test
>> message outside of a designated testing newsgroup.
>
> Another friendly response might be: "Your test failed--it showed up in
> the wrong newsgroup."
>
> However, I'd like to point out that the OP's From: address has an invalid
> syntax. Instead of a top-level domain of "(none)", he should use
> "invalid". I believe that is in an eternal-september FAQ.

Those email-address formatting issues are what I was trying to resolve. trn
lets you override much of its configuration with environment variables, but
what shows up in the From: line isn't one of them AFAICT. It appears to be
built in at compile time. If you add a From: line when editing a message,
it appears to be left alone, but you shouldn't have to do that.

Falling back to tin in the meantime...

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!

Re: This is a test

<dW%gN.28672$24ld.12660@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6345&group=comp.sys.apple2#6345

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
From: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter)
Originator: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:59:21 GMT
 by: Scott Alfter - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:59 UTC

In article <87cyv210p8.fsf@diamond.home>,
Scott Hemphill <hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
>However, I'd like to point out that the OP's From: address has an invalid
>syntax. Instead of a top-level domain of "(none)", he should use
>"invalid". I believe that is in an eternal-september FAQ.

It should be fixed in trn now. It's running in a Docker container now, and
I've wrangled its build system.

--
_/_