To communicate is the beginning of understanding. -- AT&T

devel / comp.unix.shell / Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

SubjectAuthor
* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Axel Reichert
+* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Kaz Kylheku
|`* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Axel Reichert
| `* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Kaz Kylheku
|  +* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Javier
|  |+* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Kaz Kylheku
|  ||+* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Janis Papanagnou
|  |||+- Converting texi files (Was: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (sligKenny McCormack
|  |||+* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Spiros Bousbouras
|  ||||`* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Janis Papanagnou
|  |||| `* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Kaz Kylheku
|  ||||  `- Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Spiros Bousbouras
|  |||`- Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Rene Kita
|  ||+* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Eric
|  |||`* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Kaz Kylheku
|  ||| `- Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Eric
|  ||`* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Javier
|  || `* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Jerry Peters
|  ||  `* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Jerry Peters
|  ||   `* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Javier
|  ||    `- Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Keith Thompson
|  |`* [OT] documentation formatsIvan Shmakov
|  | +* [OT] documentation formatsJavier
|  | |`- [OT] documentation formatsKaz Kylheku
|  | `* [OT] documentation formatsAxel Reichert
|  |  `- [OT] documentation formatsBenjamin Esham
|  `- TXR (was: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?)Axel Reichert
+* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Dr Eberhard W Lisse
|`* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Axel Reichert
| `* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Eric
|  `- Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Axel Reichert
`* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?bozo user
 `* Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Janis Papanagnou
  `- Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?Axel Reichert

Pages:12
Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<878rcu47rw.fsf@axel-reichert.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6346&group=comp.unix.shell#6346

From: mail@axel-reichert.de (Axel Reichert)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 11:34:27 +0200
sha1:y91ImWnRWUDTSSDKXSna1aB7KeI=
 by: Axel Reichert - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 09:34 UTC

Hello,

normally in my shell scripts I use the classics, such as grep, sed, awk,
cut, sort, uniq, a bit of Perl etc.

I recently learned about the existence of "mlr"

https://miller.readthedocs.io/en/6.8.0/

, "datamash",

https://www.gnu.org/software/datamash/manual/datamash.html/

"jq",

https://jqlang.github.io/jq/

"q",

https://harelba.github.io/q/

and "sqlet"

https://www.sqlet.com/

which intrigued me and made me think about other tools that I
might be missing.

Any obvious candidates for text mangling?

Pointers much appreciated!

Thanks and best regards,

Axel

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<20230608105143.446@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6350&group=comp.unix.shell#6350

From: 864-117-4973@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 19:30:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 19:30 UTC

On 2023-06-08, Axel Reichert <mail@axel-reichert.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> normally in my shell scripts I use the classics, such as grep, sed, awk,
> cut, sort, uniq, a bit of Perl etc.
>
> I recently learned about the existence of "mlr"
>
> https://miller.readthedocs.io/en/6.8.0/
>
> , "datamash",
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/datamash/manual/datamash.html/
>
> "jq",
>
> https://jqlang.github.io/jq/
>
> "q",
>
> https://harelba.github.io/q/
>
> and "sqlet"
>
> https://www.sqlet.com/
>
> which intrigued me and made me think about other tools that I
> might be missing.
>
> Any obvious candidates for text mangling?

"txr"

http://nongnu.org/txr

:)

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<87o7ln2hcd.fsf@axel-reichert.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6357&group=comp.unix.shell#6357

From: mail@axel-reichert.de (Axel Reichert)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 22:27:30 +0200
sha1:21WqH2ci0kGj1hRCmKLPX/i46XA=
 by: Axel Reichert - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 20:27 UTC

Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> writes:

> On 2023-06-08, Axel Reichert <mail@axel-reichert.de> wrote:
>>
>> Any obvious candidates for text mangling?
>
> "txr"
>
> http://nongnu.org/txr
>
> :)

It is (and has been for some time) on my radar for sure. I find the
blend with Lisp intruiging (you occasionally answered my stupid
questions next door in comp.lang.lisp), but the 900 pages of "man" deter
me.

Are there any other resources for learning, more along the lines of a
tutorial or a classic textbook?

Best regards

Axel

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<20230610150751.259@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6358&group=comp.unix.shell#6358

From: 864-117-4973@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 22:56:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 22:56 UTC

On 2023-06-10, Axel Reichert <mail@axel-reichert.de> wrote:
> Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> writes:
>
>> On 2023-06-08, Axel Reichert <mail@axel-reichert.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Any obvious candidates for text mangling?
>>
>> "txr"
>>
>> http://nongnu.org/txr
>>
>> :)
>
> It is (and has been for some time) on my radar for sure. I find the
> blend with Lisp intruiging (you occasionally answered my stupid
> questions next door in comp.lang.lisp), but the 900 pages of "man" deter
> me.

Yes; noboid is going to read a huge man page from top to bottom; but
it's very useful to have it installed for a quick search.

To help with the manual, there is a HTML-ized version with internal
hyperlinks and a navigable, collapsible table of contents.

There is also a library function doc which fires off a request
to open a browser to a document section, by symbol. e.g.

(doc 'cons)

By default that goes to the online one, but can be pointed
to a local installation of the manual.

> Are there any other resources for learning, more along the lines of a
> tutorial or a classic textbook?

Unfortunately, no. There should be decent knowledge/skill transfer from
some basic Lisp tutorials like Touretzky and whatnot, but beyond that
experimentation and the manual is all there is. Plus help: mailing list,
IRC and so on.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<dMucnSouGdu8lBj5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6359&group=comp.unix.shell#6359

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Javier)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 23:37:05 +0000
 by: Javier - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 23:37 UTC

Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> wrote:
> Yes; noboid is going to read a huge man page from top to bottom; but
> it's very useful to have it installed for a quick search.
>
> To help with the manual, there is a HTML-ized version with internal
> hyperlinks and a navigable, collapsible table of contents.

For that kind of manual the best format is texinfo.

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<20230610210345.171@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6361&group=comp.unix.shell#6361

From: 864-117-4973@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 04:58:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 04:58 UTC

On 2023-06-10, Javier <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> wrote:
>> Yes; noboid is going to read a huge man page from top to bottom; but
>> it's very useful to have it installed for a quick search.
>>
>> To help with the manual, there is a HTML-ized version with internal
>> hyperlinks and a navigable, collapsible table of contents.
>
> For that kind of manual the best format is texinfo.

Texinfo doesn't have a good terminal-based interface, and what it does
have is not as widely available as a man program.

Almost every time I use some GNU program's info, I end up going on the
web to find the "all in one HTML page" version of the doc.

Documentation systems that don't have a good terminal interface (or any
at all) are a dime a dozen.

It doesn't seem to be capable of authoring man pages out of the box.
(If so, all those GNU maintainers who maintain separate man pages and
texinfo documentation didn't get the memo: GCC, Bash, Gawk, ...) I'm not
going to maintain parallel documents! Now I'm sure I could get good man
pages and texinfo documentation from a single source document if I
worked at it, but what would be the point.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<u64ak0$2meqj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6362&group=comp.unix.shell#6362

From: janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 13:19:26 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 11:19 UTC

On 11.06.23 06:58, Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> Texinfo doesn't have a good terminal-based interface, and what it does
> have is not as widely available as a man program.
>
> Almost every time I use some GNU program's info, I end up going on the
> web to find the "all in one HTML page" version of the doc.
>
> Documentation systems that don't have a good terminal interface (or any
> at all) are a dime a dozen.
>
> It doesn't seem to be capable of authoring man pages out of the box.
> (If so, all those GNU maintainers who maintain separate man pages and
> texinfo documentation didn't get the memo: GCC, Bash, Gawk, ...) I'm not
> going to maintain parallel documents! Now I'm sure I could get good man
> pages and texinfo documentation from a single source document if I
> worked at it, but what would be the point.

Feeling myself tortured with 'info'-pages and with hints in some
'man'-page(-stub) that relevant information is only available in
'info'-pages I wonder whether there's some tool that extracts or
dumps (structured or not) the 'info' page information to create
some "all in one" page (in *roff, HTML, or plain text format)?
(With all the hypertext links it's probably a desperate wish but
maybe someone had a good idea implemented.)

Janis

Converting texi files (Was: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?)

<u64b9n$rcei$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6363&group=comp.unix.shell#6363

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 11:31:03 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 11:31 UTC

In article <u64ak0$2meqj$1@dont-email.me>,
Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Feeling myself tortured with 'info'-pages and with hints in some
>'man'-page(-stub) that relevant information is only available in
>'info'-pages I wonder whether there's some tool that extracts or
>dumps (structured or not) the 'info' page information to create
>some "all in one" page (in *roff, HTML, or plain text format)?
>(With all the hypertext links it's probably a desperate wish but
>maybe someone had a good idea implemented.)

man texi2any

looks interesting.
--
You are again heaping damnation upon your own head by your statements.

- Rick C Hodgin -

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<cC=QvnB+tFqVzzt2w@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6364&group=comp.unix.shell#6364

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 13:43:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 13:43 UTC

On Sun, 11 Jun 2023 13:19:26 +0200
Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Feeling myself tortured with 'info'-pages and with hints in some
> 'man'-page(-stub) that relevant information is only available in
> 'info'-pages I wonder whether there's some tool that extracts or
> dumps (structured or not) the 'info' page information to create
> some "all in one" page (in *roff, HTML, or plain text format)?
> (With all the hypertext links it's probably a desperate wish but
> maybe someone had a good idea implemented.)

Anything wrong with less info-page ? If there are several files
then cat <files-pattern> | less also works. You will get the
occasional control character but it's perfectly readable.

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<u64jn8$2na9k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6365&group=comp.unix.shell#6365

From: janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 15:54:48 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 13:54 UTC

On 11.06.23 15:43, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2023 13:19:26 +0200
> Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Feeling myself tortured with 'info'-pages and with hints in some
>> 'man'-page(-stub) that relevant information is only available in
>> 'info'-pages I wonder whether there's some tool that extracts or
>> dumps (structured or not) the 'info' page information to create
>> some "all in one" page (in *roff, HTML, or plain text format)?
>> (With all the hypertext links it's probably a desperate wish but
>> maybe someone had a good idea implemented.)
>
> Anything wrong with less info-page ? If there are several files
> then cat <files-pattern> | less also works. You will get the
> occasional control character but it's perfectly readable.

Yeah. Even (for example) 'info ls | less' seems to work pretty well.
Will also have a look into 'texi2any', that Kenny suggested. Thanks.

BTW, playing with 'info'...
$ info info
info: No menu item 'info-stnd' in node '(dir)Top'

Erm.. - okaaay.

Janis

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<20230611070716.130@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6366&group=comp.unix.shell#6366

From: 864-117-4973@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 14:39:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 14:39 UTC

On 2023-06-11, Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 11.06.23 15:43, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Jun 2023 13:19:26 +0200
> > Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Feeling myself tortured with 'info'-pages and with hints in some
> >> 'man'-page(-stub) that relevant information is only available in
> >> 'info'-pages I wonder whether there's some tool that extracts or
> >> dumps (structured or not) the 'info' page information to create
> >> some "all in one" page (in *roff, HTML, or plain text format)?
> >> (With all the hypertext links it's probably a desperate wish but
> >> maybe someone had a good idea implemented.)
> >
> > Anything wrong with less info-page ? If there are several files
> > then cat <files-pattern> | less also works. You will get the
> > occasional control character but it's perfectly readable.
>
> Yeah. Even (for example) 'info ls | less' seems to work pretty well.
> Will also have a look into 'texi2any', that Kenny suggested. Thanks.

It works on all of coreutils. I get about 19,000 lines of output,
so you can read everything at once.

I noticed there is an index in the back, which has small line
numbers. These are node-relative.

For example:

* --padding: numfmt invocation. (line 87)

When I find the start of the numfmt node far above that, which looks
like:

File: coreutils.info, Node: numfmt invocation, Next: seq [...]

Then if pretend that the blank line immediately above it is 1,
then line 87 from that lands on the --padding option.

A filter could easily be written to turn these relative references into
absolute.

It could be mildly useful to have program (called, say, 'boy') so you
could just type

$ boy coreutils

and have nicely reformatted output automatically piped into your pager,
with no extraneous cruft in it, and styled like a man page with
highlighting, and any index-like line number references being correct.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<slrnu8blli.jao.eric@bruno.deptj.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6367&group=comp.unix.shell#6367

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
From: eric@deptj.eu (Eric)
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 16:14:10 +0200
 by: Eric - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 14:14 UTC

On 2023-06-11, Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> wrote:
8>< --------

> It doesn't seem to be capable of authoring man pages out of the box.
> (If so, all those GNU maintainers who maintain separate man pages and
> texinfo documentation didn't get the memo: GCC, Bash, Gawk, ...) I'm not
> going to maintain parallel documents! Now I'm sure I could get good man
> pages and texinfo documentation from a single source document if I
> worked at it, but what would be the point.

Halibut.

E.
--
ms fnd in a lbry

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<nXNr8RAR7q7De8EqH@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6368&group=comp.unix.shell#6368

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 14:56:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 14:56 UTC

On Sun, 11 Jun 2023 14:39:29 -0000 (UTC)
Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> wrote:
> On 2023-06-11, Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah. Even (for example) 'info ls | less' seems to work pretty well.
> > Will also have a look into 'texi2any', that Kenny suggested. Thanks.
>
> It works on all of coreutils. I get about 19,000 lines of output,
> so you can read everything at once.
>
> I noticed there is an index in the back, which has small line
> numbers. These are node-relative.
>
> For example:
>
> * --padding: numfmt invocation. (line 87)
>
> When I find the start of the numfmt node far above that, which looks
> like:
>
> File: coreutils.info, Node: numfmt invocation, Next: seq [...]
>
> Then if pretend that the blank line immediately above it is 1,
> then line 87 from that lands on the --padding option.
>
> A filter could easily be written to turn these relative references into
> absolute.

A TXR job ? ;-)

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<20230611075934.119@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6369&group=comp.unix.shell#6369

From: 864-117-4973@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 15:04:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 15:04 UTC

On 2023-06-11, Eric <eric@deptj.eu> wrote:
> On 2023-06-11, Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> wrote:
> 8>< --------
>>
>> It doesn't seem to be capable of authoring man pages out of the box.
>> (If so, all those GNU maintainers who maintain separate man pages and
>> texinfo documentation didn't get the memo: GCC, Bash, Gawk, ...) I'm not
>> going to maintain parallel documents! Now I'm sure I could get good man
>> pages and texinfo documentation from a single source document if I
>> worked at it, but what would be the point.
>
> Halibut.

FAQ:

] Why on earth ‘Halibut’? What relevance does the name have to anything?
] ] Historical reasons. It's probably better not to ask.

For those versed in childish word games of the English language,
the name clearly communicates why the author started the project:
"just for the hell of it".

:)

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<vFmdnSkuQtTVbRj5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6370&group=comp.unix.shell#6370

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Javier)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 16:03:20 +0000
 by: Javier - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 16:03 UTC

Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> wrote:
> Texinfo doesn't have a good terminal-based interface, and what it does
> have is not as widely available as a man program.

The good terminal reader for info files is 'emacs -nw'. The
standalone info tool is better replaced by this:

emacs-info(){ emacs -nw --exec '(info "'"$(/usr/bin/info -w ${1})"'")'; }

[OT] documentation formats

<u656kk$2pm6s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6371&group=comp.unix.shell#6371

From: ivan@siamics.netNOSPAM.invalid (Ivan Shmakov)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: [OT] documentation formats
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 19:17:40 -0000 (UTC)
License: CC0-1.0 (original contributions only)
 by: Ivan Shmakov - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 19:17 UTC

>> Yes; noboid is going to read a huge man page from top to bottom;
>> but it's very useful to have it installed for a quick search.

>> To help with the manual, there is a HTML-ized version with internal
>> hyperlinks and a navigable, collapsible table of contents.

> For that kind of manual the best format is texinfo.

I'd be curious of the reasoning behind such a conclusion?

I've had a somewhat related discussion elsewhere recently.
My preference these days is HTML, though it can be argued
I don't write /that/ much documentation.

Consider, e. g., http://am-1.org/~ivan/qinp-2021/096.sys.en.xhtml
(neither a manual nor reference, but IMO close enough.)

a. It downloads quickly and renders adequately on desktop
and mobile computers, and can be printed as well.

b. It forces no page breaks. Those make little sense on
screen anyway.

c. It can be read on a 'device' just bought new, /and/ it can
be read with Lynx on a 30 year old 386-class computer.

d. You can edit it and send me patches.

With document preparation systems, such as Texinfo, LaTeX,
Man, I'd need an HTML copy for 'online' reading, likely
a separate PDF copy for printing, and the source code for
patches.

It might have changed in a decade or so I haven't had an
active interest in TeX implementations, but back then getting
HTML output out of one wasn't possible, thus forcing one to
use PDF, which is neither screen- nor 386-friendly. Though
there were workarounds.

Of course, Texinfo and Man /do/ have HTML formatters. Why,
for months now, my preferred way to deal with manpages is to
format them into HTML with mandoc(1) (and read the resulting
HTMLs with Lynx), along the lines of:

#!/bin/sh
## Usage: $0 TARGET-DIRECTORY /usr/share/manX/PAGE.X.gz
set -e
set -C -u
d=${1}
shift
for f ; do
b=${f##*/} ; q=${b%.gz}
s1=${q##*.} ; s2=${s1#?} ; s=${s1%${s2}}
g=${d}/html${s}/${q%.*}.html
test -s "$f" -a ! -e "$g" \
|| continue
case "$f" in (*.gz) zcat ;; (*) cat ;; esac < "$f" \
| mandoc -T html -O man=../html%S/%N.html > "$g"
done

Texinfo is a tad problematic in this regard as precompiled
software packages typically don't include source .texi files
but only the resulting .info ones. Depending on the packager's
preferences, .pdf, .html and others might also be provided, but
that's far from a universal practice IME.

While I understand that historically, using either a *roff
(for -man, -mdoc) or TeX (for Texinfo) implementation allowed
for high-quality printing, now that modern browsers are pretty
ubiquitous /and/ offer formatting capabilities on par with
*roff (and in specific areas arguably exceeding those of TeX),
I'm afraid the advantages of recommending them in the not so
uncommon "hey guys; I want to learn a good doc format, which
would you recommend?" scenario are not obvious to me.

(And given that a lot of free software distributions now come
with README.md files, which I believe are primarily useful as
a source for HTML, I'm going to guess I'm not the only one.)

--
FSF associate member #7257 http://am-1.org/~ivan/

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<u65c4a$2q731$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6372&group=comp.unix.shell#6372

From: jerry@example.invalid (Jerry Peters)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 20:51:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jerry Peters - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 20:51 UTC

Javier <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> wrote:
>> Texinfo doesn't have a good terminal-based interface, and what it does
>> have is not as widely available as a man program.
>
> The good terminal reader for info files is 'emacs -nw'. The
> standalone info tool is better replaced by this:
>
> emacs-info(){ emacs -nw --exec '(info "'"$(/usr/bin/info -w ${1})"'")'; }

For those of us not into emacs I'd recommend pinfo. It's a curses
based info reader with keyboard navigation. Very easy to use and
customize.

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<u65cb9$2q731$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6373&group=comp.unix.shell#6373

From: jerry@example.invalid (Jerry Peters)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 20:55:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jerry Peters - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 20:55 UTC

Jerry Peters <jerry@example.invalid> wrote:
> Javier <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> wrote:
>>> Texinfo doesn't have a good terminal-based interface, and what it does
>>> have is not as widely available as a man program.
>>
>> The good terminal reader for info files is 'emacs -nw'. The
>> standalone info tool is better replaced by this:
>>
>> emacs-info(){ emacs -nw --exec '(info "'"$(/usr/bin/info -w ${1})"'")'; }
>
> For those of us not into emacs I'd recommend pinfo. It's a curses
> based info reader with keyboard navigation. Very easy to use and
> customize.

https://github.com/baszoetekouw/pinfo

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<xYWcnRr1XpTPpRv5nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6374&group=comp.unix.shell#6374

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Javier)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 21:10:42 +0000
 by: Javier - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 21:10 UTC

Jerry Peters <jerry@example.invalid> wrote:
>> For those of us not into emacs I'd recommend pinfo. It's a curses
>> based info reader with keyboard navigation. Very easy to use and
>> customize.
>
> https://github.com/baszoetekouw/pinfo

Yes, pinfo is another choice for people who is not used to emacs, and
its keybindings are very easy to learn. The interface is very similar to
lynx.

What I miss in pinfo is a keybinding to search in the index of
important keywords (it's the 'I' binding in emacs and standalone
info). In pinfo you can do a full text search, but AFAIK it's not
possible to do a search of indexed keywords.

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<87edmhir3v.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6375&group=comp.unix.shell#6375

From: Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 15:14:28 -0700
sha1:1GfKtTTeVdAOVYv9tvmLImsqcbM=
 by: Keith Thompson - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 22:14 UTC

Javier <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:
> Jerry Peters <jerry@example.invalid> wrote:
>>> For those of us not into emacs I'd recommend pinfo. It's a curses
>>> based info reader with keyboard navigation. Very easy to use and
>>> customize.
>>
>> https://github.com/baszoetekouw/pinfo
>
> Yes, pinfo is another choice for people who is not used to emacs, and
> its keybindings are very easy to learn. The interface is very similar to
> lynx.
>
> What I miss in pinfo is a keybinding to search in the index of
> important keywords (it's the 'I' binding in emacs and standalone
> info). In pinfo you can do a full text search, but AFAIK it's not
> possible to do a search of indexed keywords.

Another nice feature of `info` is that you can specify an index entry on
the command line (something I only learned recently).

For example, I've spent a lot of time in `info bash` searching for the
section on parameter expansion (and sometimes failing to remember that
it's "expansion", not "replacement"). But I can just type `info bash
param` and it jumps there directly. There are 5 or so index entries
starting with "param"; "parameter expansion" happens to be the first.

Will write code for food.

Re: [OT] documentation formats

<2lidnWaCgcXzyRv5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6376&group=comp.unix.shell#6376

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Javier)
Subject: Re: [OT] documentation formats
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 23:10:38 +0000
 by: Javier - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 23:10 UTC

Ivan Shmakov <ivan@siamics.netnospam.invalid> wrote:
> > For that kind of manual the best format is texinfo.
>
> I'd be curious of the reasoning behind such a conclusion?

Because info is better for documents that have structure. I am
referring to technical documents the size of a book.

In the browser you only have back and forward, which in GNU info correspond
to 'l' (last) and 'r' (revisit).

In info you have 'p' (previous) and 'n' (next), for moving within a
level and 'u' for going up one level. You don;t have that in any
browser. IIRC the HTML standard mentions that kind of structure of a
document, but no web browser ever has bothered to implement
keybindings or buttons for those actions.

Perhaps the most interesting feature of info is do search of keywords
('I' binding). In a full text search in a browser with Ctrl-f you are
going to get a lot of false positives. Info docs highlight important
words and put them in an index. It's the same idea to the
alphabetical index that appears at the end of dead-tree books, but in
emacs you are not restricted to lookup those keywords alphabetically,
and that is useful because many times those 'keywords' are composed by
several words.

> b. It forces no page breaks. Those make little sense on
> screen anyway.

They do make sense. When you are reading a section on screen you don't
want to be distracted by the text in the next section.

> (And given that a lot of free software distributions now come
> with README.md files, which I believe are primarily useful as
> a source for HTML, I'm going to guess I'm not the only one.)

Form what I have seen those .md documents are the size of a small
manpage. I don't think the .md format is well suited to write a
document the size of a book. Does md support making an alphabetical
index of keywords?

> Texinfo is a tad problematic in this regard as precompiled
> software packages typically don't include source .texi files
> but only the resulting .info ones. Depending on the packager's
> preferences, .pdf, .html and others might also be provided, but
> that's far from a universal practice IME.

Yes, that's a problem with packagers, but you can always get the
source and recompile the docs.

> While I understand that historically, using either a *roff
> (for -man, -mdoc) or TeX (for Texinfo) implementation allowed
> for high-quality printing, now that modern browsers are pretty
> ubiquitous /and/ offer formatting capabilities on par with
> *roff (and in specific areas arguably exceeding those of TeX),
> I'm afraid the advantages of recommending them in the not so
> uncommon "hey guys; I want to learn a good doc format, which
> would you recommend?" scenario are not obvious to me.

There is no need to force people to learn arcane things.
Sphinx and the reST format is quite fashionable nowadays (the Python
foundation uses it), and it can output the doc in texinfo format.

https://docs.python.org/3.11/about.html
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1054903/how-do-you-get-python-documentation-in-texinfo-info-format

The same tool is used for other languages like Erlang and Julia.
Most of what is hosted https://readthedocs.org is convertable to info,
although very few projects nowadays bother to publish the docs in info
format and if you want the info docs you need to download the source
and compile the docs with sphinx yourself.

Debian helps a lot by providing packages with info docs.

https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=info.gz&mode=path&suite=stable&arch=any

The Perl documentation is also convertable to info, but the problem
with the perl docs I have seen is that they lack the keyword index.

The Texinfo format is not dead, and will continue to live, albeit with
an extremely reduced userbase. From the side of the GNU project some
improvements could be done by providing alternative ways to do
things. For example, the directory format used for indexing info docs
accessible in emacs is awful, and I have to edit manually
${HOME}/local/info/dir to be able to read docs in emacs.

Re: [OT] documentation formats

<20230611184042.619@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6377&group=comp.unix.shell#6377

From: 864-117-4973@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 01:46:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 01:46 UTC

On 2023-06-11, Javier <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Ivan Shmakov <ivan@siamics.netnospam.invalid> wrote:
>> > For that kind of manual the best format is texinfo.
>>
>> I'd be curious of the reasoning behind such a conclusion?
>
> Because info is better for documents that have structure. I am
> referring to technical documents the size of a book.
>
> In the browser you only have back and forward, which in GNU info correspond
> to 'l' (last) and 'r' (revisit).
>
> In info you have 'p' (previous) and 'n' (next), for moving within a
> level and 'u' for going up one level. You don;t have that in any
> browser. IIRC the HTML standard mentions that kind of structure of a
dd
> document, but no web browser ever has bothered to implement
> keybindings or buttons for those actions.

A web document will have navigation links or buttons.
Javascripted hotkeys are a thing.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca

Re: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?

<kenmq7FduiqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6378&group=comp.unix.shell#6378

From: nospam@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 06:55:35 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 04:55 UTC

You are missing QSV, CSVQ, CSVIEW, CSVLENS and TYPS.

el

On 08/06/2023 11:34, Axel Reichert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> normally in my shell scripts I use the classics, such as grep, sed, awk,
> cut, sort, uniq, a bit of Perl etc.
>
> I recently learned about the existence of "mlr"
>
> https://miller.readthedocs.io/en/6.8.0/
>
> , "datamash",
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/datamash/manual/datamash.html/
>
> "jq",
>
> https://jqlang.github.io/jq/
>
> "q",
>
> https://harelba.github.io/q/
>
> and "sqlet"
>
> https://www.sqlet.com/
>
> which intrigued me and made me think about other tools that I
> might be missing.
>
> Any obvious candidates for text mangling?
>
> Pointers much appreciated!
>
> Thanks and best regards,
>
> Axel

Re: [OT] documentation formats

<87a5x52muv.fsf@axel-reichert.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6379&group=comp.unix.shell#6379

From: mail@axel-reichert.de (Axel Reichert)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 08:52:56 +0200
sha1:F8TepIu1CyDRRGp3w7wPAZDm+qA=
 by: Axel Reichert - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 06:52 UTC

Ivan Shmakov <ivan@siamics.netNOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> > For that kind of manual the best format is texinfo.
>
> I'd be curious of the reasoning behind such a conclusion?

Back in my early Linux days in the mid-90s, HTML was not as common as it
is now. The Eternal September had only been in 1993. Also, texi was most
prominent in the GNU world, which was small and kind of a nerd
elite. The similarities between texi and TeX/LaTeX were helpful in this
community, many people had done their theses in LaTeX anyway, since at
that time Word was uncapable of handling more than a dozen
equations. Theses also highly structured.

With the influx of less nerdy content creators easier formats were
needed. No, Docbook, SGML, XML were not filling that need. Look at how
common light markup languages (Markdown, reStructured text,
asciidoc(tor), Emacs org-mode) are nowadays, even for websites. Most
(all?) of them allow for cross-target publishing from a single source
that is readable even in raw format. Asciidoc allows for index
creation. But many websites are much less structured than a scientific
thesis, so for me, after using asciidoc for a while, it has become
org-mode.

While this some historical context, I think there are technical reasons
as well: Texinfo AFAIK does not allow for pictures and nicely rendered
equations, HTML and PDF do. The toolchain for HTML is vast, for PDF it
is still much larger (due to the professional publishing business) than
for Texinfo. The latter to me nowadays seems like an ancient HTML
predecessor, the comparison with Lynx for HTML is fitting.

Best regards

Axel

TXR (was: Useful tools for shell scripting/text mangling (slightly OT)?)

<875y7t2mk0.fsf_-_@axel-reichert.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6380&group=comp.unix.shell#6380

From: mail@axel-reichert.de (Axel Reichert)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 08:59:27 +0200
sha1:erWuicnkH5kTZn9oPm8KjiwANHk=
 by: Axel Reichert - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 06:59 UTC

Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> writes:

> On 2023-06-10, Axel Reichert <mail@axel-reichert.de> wrote:
>
> To help with the manual, there is a HTML-ized version with internal
> hyperlinks and a navigable, collapsible table of contents.

Yes, I have seen it.

> There is also a library function doc which fires off a request
> to open a browser to a document section, by symbol. e.g.
>
> (doc 'cons)

.... in the vein of classical lispy reference documentation. Good to
know.

>> Are there any other resources for learning, more along the lines of a
>> tutorial or a classic textbook?
>
> Unfortunately, no.

I was suspecting this.

> There should be decent knowledge/skill transfer from some basic Lisp
> tutorials

Sure.

Thanks!

Axel