If you can't understand it, it is intuitively obvious.

computers / comp.sys.apple2 / Re: Google Groups Replacements

SubjectAuthor
* Google Groups ReplacementsBill Chatfield
+- Google Groups ReplacementsMummyChunk
+* Google Groups ReplacementsD Finnigan
|`* Newsreader for GNO/ME, was Re: Google Groups ReplacementsD Finnigan
| `- Newsreader for GNO/ME, was Re: Google Groups ReplacementsKelvin Sherlock
+* Google Groups ReplacementsRalf Kiefer
|`- Re: Google Groups ReplacementsColin Leroy-Mira
+- Google Groups ReplacementsJesse Rehmer
`* Re: Google Groups ReplacementsColin Leroy-Mira
 `- Re: Google Groups ReplacementsSteve Nickolas

1
Google Groups Replacements

<20231220115140.4f27c998@smilodon-gracilis>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6329&group=comp.sys.apple2#6329

From: bill_chatfield@yahoo.com (Bill Chatfield)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Google Groups Replacements
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 11:51:40 -0500
 by: Bill Chatfield - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:51 UTC

With the end of Google Groups, It'd be nice if there were a
one-stop-shop for Google Groups replacement instructions, separated by
OS and news reader client.

You might argue that the individual news readers should document their
own usage instructions and then I might rudely laugh at you. But, I
probably wouldn't because I'm not usually that rude. For example, the
instructions for slrn are absolutely terrible. I can't even get
Evolution on Linux to work as there are no instructions for reading
news even though it's supposed to be able to do it. And Thunderbird on
Linux doesn't work correctly, or I can't get it to work correctly.

So, the instructions should include which programs to use on which
platforms because how do you know that unless you waste a bunch of time
trying them all. Only one person should have to waste all that time.

I'm really only considering free solutions because Google Groups was
free. So we could assume Eternal September and just embed their server
addresses into the news reader setup instructions.

o Windows
- Microsoft
- Thunderbird
- Claws Mail
- ReactOS
- ???
o Mac
- Current Supported Version
- ???
- MacOS 10.4
- ???
- MacOS 9
- ???
o Linux
- Fedora
- Claws Mail
- Ubuntu
- ???
- Raspberry PI
- ???
o Apple II
- Apple IIgs
- ???
- Apple IIe/c/Plus
- ???
o Atari
o Amiga
o Commodedoor
o OpenIndiana (Solaris)
o MS-DOS
o GhostBSD (FreeBSD)

We could use a collaborative documentation system (that has the
ability to include screenshots) so that each person could document his
own news reader of preference.

We could advertise our documentation in the Facebook groups to lure
people away.

Re: Google Groups Replacements

<PnidnQCl7tEGCh74nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6341&group=comp.sys.apple2#6341

Subject: Re: Google Groups Replacements
From: mummycullen@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (MummyChunk)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 01:40:43 +0000
 by: MummyChunk - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 01:40 UTC

> Bill Chatfield wrote:
> With the end of Google Groups, It'd be nice if there were a
> one-stop-shop for Google Groups replacement instructions, separated
by
> OS and news reader client.
>
> You might argue that the individual news readers should document
their
> own usage instructions and then I might rudely laugh at you. But, I
> probably wouldn't because I'm not usually that rude. For example,
the
> instructions for slrn are absolutely terrible. I can't even get
> Evolution on Linux to work as there are no instructions for reading
> news even though it's supposed to be able to do it. And Thunderbird
on
> Linux doesn't work correctly, or I can't get it to work correctly.
>
> So, the instructions should include which programs to use on which
> platforms because how do you know that unless you waste a bunch of
time
> trying them all. Only one person should have to waste all that
time.

> I'm really only considering free solutions because Google Groups
was
> free. So we could assume Eternal September and just embed their
server
> addresses into the news reader setup instructions.
>
> o Windows
> - Microsoft
> - Thunderbird
> - Claws Mail
> - ReactOS
> - ???
> o Mac
> - Current Supported Version
> - ???
> - MacOS 10.4
> - ???
> - MacOS 9
> - ???
> o Linux
> - Fedora
> - Claws Mail
> - Ubuntu
> - ???
> - Raspberry PI
> - ???
> o Apple II
> - Apple IIgs
> - ???
> - Apple IIe/c/Plus
> - ???
> o Atari
> o Amiga
> o Commodedoor
> o OpenIndiana (Solaris)
> o MS-DOS
> o GhostBSD (FreeBSD)
>
> We could use a collaborative documentation system (that has the
> ability to include screenshots) so that each person could document
his
> own news reader of preference.
>
> We could advertise our documentation in the Facebook groups to lure
> people away.

Plenty of web front ends like google groups.
Maybe make a consolidated list in the group FAQs

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=657610855#657610855

Re: Google Groups Replacements

<dog_cow-1703212357@macgui.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6350&group=comp.sys.apple2#6350

From: dog_cow@macgui.com (D Finnigan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 02:32:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: D Finnigan - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 02:32 UTC

Bill Chatfield wrote:

> o Apple II
> - Apple IIgs
> - ???
> - Apple IIe/c/Plus
> - ???

I have substitutes for the question marks:

Ewen Wannop's SNAP for the Apple IIgs, and
Bobbi Manners's emai//er 2.0.0 for Apple IIe (also runs on IIgs)

There might have been an even older newsreader than ran under GNO/ME, but I
may be mistaken. Can a GNO person confirm?

--
]DF$
The New Apple II User's Guide:

Re: Google Groups Replacements

<1qm5386.14ecqfo1ohsutcN%R.Kiefer.SPAEM@gmx.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6351&group=comp.sys.apple2#6351

From: R.Kiefer.SPAEM@gmx.de (Ralf Kiefer)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:15:22 +0100
 by: Ralf Kiefer - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:15 UTC

Bill Chatfield wrote:

> - MacOS 9
> - ???

MacOS X
MacOS 7.6 ... 8.6

- MacSOUP (Shareware)

Regards
Ralf

Newsreader for GNO/ME, was Re: Google Groups Replacements

<dog_cow-1703293801@macgui.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6356&group=comp.sys.apple2#6356

From: dog_cow@macgui.com (D Finnigan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Newsreader for GNO/ME, was Re: Google Groups Replacements
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 01:10:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: D Finnigan - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 01:10 UTC

D Finnigan wrote:

> There might have been an even older newsreader than ran under GNO/ME, but
> may be mistaken. Can a GNO person confirm?

Today, I am that GNO person, and I found it. :-)
It's called MuGS, released 1994, "A passive NNTP newsreader for use with
ProLine, GNO or other."

https://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=11302

--
]DF$
The New Apple II User's Guide:
https://macgui.com/newa2guide/

Re: Newsreader for GNO/ME, was Re: Google Groups Replacements

<umaq28$2poft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6549&group=comp.sys.apple2#6549

From: kelvin@pro-kegs.uucp (Kelvin Sherlock)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 23 02:21:57 EST
 by: Kelvin Sherlock - Mon, 25 Dec 2023 07:21 UTC

That reminds me... about 25 years ago I fortuitously found a unix
utility named uqwk which would generate a qwk file of usenet posts.
qwk was some sort of offline-mail system used by some BBSes and there
were a couple Apple II qwk readers, 2qwk! perhaps being the best known.

In <dog_cow-1703293801@macgui.com> D Finnigan <dog_cow@macgui.com> writes:

>D Finnigan wrote:
>>
>> There might have been an even older newsreader than ran under GNO/ME, but
>> may be mistaken. Can a GNO person confirm?
>>

>Today, I am that GNO person, and I found it. :-)
>It's called MuGS, released 1994, "A passive NNTP newsreader for use with
>ProLine, GNO or other."
>
>https://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=11302
>
>--
>]DF$
>The New Apple II User's Guide:
>https://macgui.com/newa2guide/

-------
ProLine: kelvin@pro-kegs

Re: Google Groups Replacements

<umvg5v$uip$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6572&group=comp.sys.apple2#6572

From: jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 23:00:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 23:00 UTC

On Dec 20, 2023 at 10:51:40 AM CST, "Bill Chatfield"
<bill_chatfield@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm really only considering free solutions because Google Groups was
> free. So we could assume Eternal September and just embed their server
> addresses into the news reader setup instructions.

Users in csa2 may be interested in connecting my Usenet server. I have
articles going back to the mid 90s for this group (and many others) and am
adding to the archive.

It is available via NNTP without authentication at news.blueworldhosting.com.
Users who want to post can contact me via e-mail for an account. Some
additional information about the service is published at
https://usenet.blueworldhosting.com.

I'm debating adding a web frontend for reading, like RockSolid Light
(https://gitlab.com/rslight-public/rocksolid-light), but I'm concentrated on
putting the archive together on a real Usenet spool first.

Re: Google Groups Replacements

<20240201214630.3a6c9062@laptop-sigfox>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6634&group=comp.sys.apple2#6634

From: colin@colino.net (Colin Leroy-Mira)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 21:46:30 +0100
 by: Colin Leroy-Mira - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 20:46 UTC

Hi,

I spot a fellow with a very good taste in email clients ;)

>o Linux
> - Fedora
> - Claws Mail
> - Ubuntu
> - ???
> - Raspberry PI
> - ???

Well, Claws-Mail is available and packaged on about every Linux distro,
even if sometimes in the "universe", "extras", or whatever name it has,
repo.

--
Colin
https://www.colino.net/

Re: Google Groups Replacements

<20240201214756.6d9ebb24@laptop-sigfox>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6635&group=comp.sys.apple2#6635

From: colin@colino.net (Colin Leroy-Mira)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 21:47:56 +0100
 by: Colin Leroy-Mira - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 20:47 UTC

Hi,

>MacOS X
>MacOS 7.6 ... 8.6
>
>- MacSOUP (Shareware)

MacSOUP's thread view was *awesome*, I used it for a very years
before switching to Linux, and remember it fondly.
--
Colin
https://www.colino.net/

Re: Google Groups Replacements

<alpine.DEB.2.21.2402021004590.23026@sd-119843.dedibox.fr>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6637&group=comp.sys.apple2#6637

From: usotsuki@buric.co (Steve Nickolas)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 10:05:14 -0500
 by: Steve Nickolas - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 15:05 UTC

On Thu, 1 Feb 2024, Colin Leroy-Mira wrote:

> Hi,

> I spot a fellow with a very good taste in email clients ;)

Can't say I've heard of it - I use Alpine ;)

-uso.