From: mark@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: <Dialog> The ":All" tab has zillions of "()" entries that jump to "Drafts" - why?
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:28:26 +0200
 by: mark - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:28 UTC

<Dialog> The ":All" tab has zillions of "()" entries - why?

Whenever I try to find a group by name such as when I just went to the
"All" tab in Dialog to find a group with "gps" in the name, the first
hundred or so (I didn't count them) entries are all "()" empty listings.

That wouldn't be so bad if I could just click one of them to establish the
start position (because Dialog doesn't seem to have a start at the top
method of searching downward so you have to pick the start location it
seems).

But when I click on any of those "()" entries in the "All" tab, it
immediately jumps me down to the "Drafts" entry which is, alphabetically no
where near the top. If what I'm searching for comes after "D" then I'm fine
(as I am with searching for "gps") but WHY does Dialog do that?

There's no way possible to start at the top.
Luckily, the first few newsgroups are usually garbage but still.

How can it be that the only way to start at the top is to literally scroll
down through hundreds (seemingly) of "()" entries just to get a starting
point at the first real newsgroup?

Re: <Dialog> The ":All" tab has zillions of "()" entries that jump to "Drafts" - why?

<1l4i5ttl7l4ws.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=671&group=news.software.readers#671

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 12:29:05 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:29 UTC

mark <mark@mark.edu> wrote:

> <Dialog> The ":All" tab has zillions of "()" entries - why?
>
> Whenever I try to find a group by name such as when I just went to the
> "All" tab in Dialog to find a group with "gps" in the name, the first
> hundred or so (I didn't count them) entries are all "()" empty listings.

Why not use the Filtered tab to enter a pattern on which to search?
Instead of finding the first newsgroup that matches, you find all
newsgroups that match.

In Dialog, when was the last time you used Online -> Get complete
grouplists (to update all servers, or just the selected one)? Could be
your list is out of sync.

I don't experience the problem you describe, but then I quit using AIOE
a long time ago. Since AIOE is an unregistered free Usenet provider (no
accounts required, so also no way to enforce their claimed abuse
policies), I added AIOE as a server and used the above to get the
complete newsgroups list from AIOE. I did not get all the "()" entries
you noted.