From: INVALID_NO_CC_REMOVE_IF_YOU_DO_NOT_POST_ml+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@esmtp.org (Claus Aßmann)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: mail deferred for non existing domain
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 01:53:28 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: <ml+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@esmtp.org>
Originator: ca@x2.esmtp.org (Claus Assmann)
 by: Claus Aßmann - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 05:53 UTC

Otto J. Makela wrote:

> I run an email system for a system where clients have given their email
> addresess for mailing purposes. There are the standard typo squatter
> domains (like gmail.co), where it'd be nice to rewrite any addresses as
> %1@gmail.com.REDIRECT instead of holding the message in a mail queue for
> a couple of days and only then producing a bounce.

Why does the mail stay in the queue? gmail.co does resolve. right?

If you know addresses are "invalid" why don't you reject them
directly, e.g., using
mailertable Include a "mailer table" which can be used to override
error:code message
error:D.S.N:code message
will give an error message with the indicated SMTP reply
code and message, where D.S.N is an RFC 1893 compliant
error code.

Anyway, if you want to figure out whether ".REDIRECT" works
in your setup, use sendmail -bt and something like
3,0 user@gmail.co
/tryflags er
/parse user@gmail.co

If that doesn't give you a clue where the problem is, post the
output here and explain which result(s) you expect(ed).

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous