From: lnlarson@stoat.inhoin.edu (Lane Larson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Subject: Getting Wizardry 8 graohics to work
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:38:03 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
 by: Lane Larson - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 00:38 UTC

Maybe you are familiar with the intricacies of getting [the graphics of]
Wizardry 8 to work. I'm looking for anyone who has encountered this
problem. It works on one computer but not the other... Maybe it's
something in the Setup. I suppose I could see if I can try all the
options. Please tell me if you are familiar with making it work. I
have a long ways to go before I need this, but I would like to set it
up. I want to enjoy the entire W6-8 trilogy.

Re: Getting Wizardry 8 graohics to work

<2186vilnh96h7ahmj2gkimf884uj1270i8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=682&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg#682

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Subject: Re: Getting Wizardry 8 graohics to work
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:10:51 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 16:10 UTC

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:38:03 -0500, Lane Larson
<lnlarson@stoat.inhoin.edu> wrote:

>Maybe you are familiar with the intricacies of getting [the graphics of]
>Wizardry 8 to work. I'm looking for anyone who has encountered this
>problem. It works on one computer but not the other... Maybe it's
>something in the Setup. I suppose I could see if I can try all the
>options. Please tell me if you are familiar with making it work. I
>have a long ways to go before I need this, but I would like to set it
>up. I want to enjoy the entire W6-8 trilogy.

This Steam forum post has a variety of suggestions:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/245450/discussions/0/4300445879340794145/

including removing the glide2x.dll file found in the game directory
(and then choosing Dx7 as the renderer), and installing the v1.28 fan
patch

Of course, these are specifically hints for the Steam version and may
not work with the original retail version that came on CD-ROM (then
again, they might).

Still, it's a starting point.

There's a whole era of games - mostly from '95 to 2005 - that are
becoming increasingly difficult to run on modern systems - partly
because of underlying hardware changes, or because of significant
changes in what the OS allows applications to do, or because of how
invasive old-school copy-protection was - and "Wizardry 8" slots right
into that era of gaming. Sadly, it's too often left up to the fans to
get the games running on modern systems, even though the publishers
are still selling those titles.