From: conanospamic@gmail.com (Eric M)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.software.readers
Subject: Re: Historical statistics on USENET
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 17:13:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Eric M - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 17:13 UTC

[Xpost + Fu2 news.software.readers]
Frank Slootweg a écrit le Tue, 18 Oct 2022 17:42:42 dans news.software.nntp :

>> How can I install tin on termux on an Android smartphone natively ?
>> This would be great.

> As I mentioned, a news.software.readers regular has built trn under
> Termux, so it's probably best to ask/cross-post in/to that group, as he
> can probably provide some general Termux build advice.

Ok, so I'm crossposting and putting a Followup there (yes, I already
said it, but I want to be perfectly clear).

> The tin maintainer Urs Janßen also follows/monitors that group.

> As I and Marc said, you probably have to build - i.e. make, compile,
> link, etc. - it yourself.

Yes, this will be strange on a phone, I tried to compile things
back in 1998, but it never worked at that time :)

> I don't have any experience with Termux nor Android CPU-architectures,
> but my phone says "aarch64" - which is the 64-bit extension of the ARM
> architecture family (ARM64) [1] - and <http://tin.org/builds.html#Linux>
> lists aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu as one of the 'Known successful builds'.
> So I think it should be rather straightforward to build tin under
> Termux.

> FYI/FWIW, a long time ago I build a standalone version of tin for
> Windows, using a few Cygwin libraries, but not the rest of Cygwin. It
> was no big deal, but I had software development (in C) experience on
> (real) UNIX, so YMMV/YMWV.

Thank you very much for all this information, I will look into it.

Re: Historical statistics on USENET

<eli$2210202354@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=694&group=news.software.readers#694

From: *@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 04:24:10 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 04:24 UTC

In news.software.readers, Eric M <conanospamic@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Xpost + Fu2 news.software.readers]
> Frank Slootweg a écrit le Tue, 18 Oct 2022
> 17:42:42 dans news.software.nntp :
>
> >> How can I install tin on termux on an Android smartphone natively ?
> >> This would be great.
> > As I mentioned, a news.software.readers regular has built trn under
> > Termux, so it's probably best to ask/cross-post in/to that group, as he
> > can probably provide some general Termux build advice.

That would be me. I did it as proof of concept, I prefer reading news
ssh'ed in somewhere else (so I always have the same .newsrc on or off
phone).

> Ok, so I'm crossposting and putting a Followup there (yes, I already
> said it, but I want to be perfectly clear).

It wasn't dead simple, but it wasn't the hardest. Termux provides a
fairly full Linux shell, trn is designed to compile on anything Unix
like. It's a good match, but really some of the trickiest bits might be
solved by compiling a newer newsreader under Termux.

Two gotchas I remember: Termux has bash, which is a good replacment for
/bin/sh and it has a sh, but it does not have /bin/sh.

$ which sh
/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/sh
$

Meanwhile trn is pretty determined to use /bin/sh for lots of things
during config, install, and runtime.

The other thing that I ran into was no /etc/passwd and no getent() for
passwd entries. This comes up when it's trying to figure out the
username or something. But the code has a workaround already, just a bug
preventing it from being reached. I edited in a return(-1) (or similar)
and it worked.

Then there were the usual issues of compiling legacy code on modern
compilers.

$ cc --version
clang version 15.0.1
Target: aarch64-unknown-linux-android24
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin
$

It was probably something like adding -std=c89 to options.

But Termux had all the libraries needed, and all the terminal support
required for trn4. There might be a precompiled newsreader already in
Termux packages, I didn't look hard. (There is lynx in packages, I don't
recall if I have ever tested news: links from it, but it works for web
browsing.)

I also didn't try to get a sendmail working for reply by email, but it's
feasible. I have heirloom-mailx (aka nail) working for reading / sending
email, but I mostly just read crap like "verify your email address" and
mostly just send stuff to myself. Google would probably flag my
self-hosted email stack as super-spammy.

Elijah
------
https://github.com/Eli-the-Bearded/heirloom-mailx

Re: Historical statistics on USENET

<tiuveu.bp4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=695&group=news.software.readers#695

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: 21 Oct 2022 18:29:24 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 18:29 UTC

Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
> In news.software.readers, Eric M <conanospamic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [Xpost + Fu2 news.software.readers]
> > Frank Slootweg a écrit le Tue, 18 Oct 2022
> > 17:42:42 dans news.software.nntp :

[...]
> I also didn't try to get a sendmail working for reply by email, but it's
> feasible. I have heirloom-mailx (aka nail) working for reading / sending
> email, but I mostly just read crap like "verify your email address" and
> mostly just send stuff to myself. Google would probably flag my
> self-hosted email stack as super-spammy.

FWIW (mainly to Eric), in my Cygwin environment, I use ssmtp to send
email from tin. ssmtp is a send-only sendmail emulator and is much
easier - and sufficient for this purpose - than full-blown sendmail.

So perhaps Eric can get a hold of - or build - ssmtp for/in Termux.

Re: Historical statistics on USENET

<tiv17m$u56$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=696&group=news.software.readers#696

From: conanospamic@gmail.com (Eric M)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 20:59:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Eric M - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 20:59 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote Fri, 21 Oct 2022 20:29:24 dans news.software.readers :

> FWIW (mainly to Eric), in my Cygwin environment, I use ssmtp to send
> email from tin. ssmtp is a send-only sendmail emulator and is much
> easier - and sufficient for this purpose - than full-blown sendmail.

> So perhaps Eric can get a hold of - or build - ssmtp for/in Termux.

Well, maybe I can try this, but I don't understand all you say,
and this is not only because I'm French, so I will try to understand
and it may take some time :)

Anyway, thanks to you two, there are many things I can't figure
out in tin, for example searching an article with "L" always
fails, even if this is the one I'm replying to, maybe I don't
write it properly. So making it work on termux looks like a
good idea but maybe it's too much for me, only for the moment I hope.