Vulcans do not approve of violence. -- Spock, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4

devel / comp.unix.shell / Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

SubjectAuthor
* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors duringhongy...@gmail.com
+* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
|`- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
+- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
+- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
+- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
`* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
 `* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
  +* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logginKees Nuyt
  |+- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
  |`* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
  | +* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logginKees Nuyt
  | |`- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
  | `* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
  |  `* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logginKees Nuyt
  |   `- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
  `* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
   +* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
   |+* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
   ||+* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
   |||`* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
   ||| `* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
   |||  `* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
   |||   `- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
   ||`- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logginJerry Peters
   |`- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJanis Papanagnou
   `* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
    `* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
     +- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
     `* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
      +- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
      `- Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q

Pages:12
Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<66555d57-f849-409d-becd-c10b22eb55f0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6892&group=comp.unix.shell#6892

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 19:43:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 02:43 UTC

On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 2:53:40 PM UTC-6, Jalen Q wrote:
> On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 9:41:06 AM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > For debugging a script I use
> > > script -c "bash -x script_to_debug_here" a.log
> > >
> > > As for login scripts which I need to see when something changed modified
> > > /etc/profile to check if $HOME/debug is executable and if so run it.
> > > Test is before/after each login script. Example snippet from /etc/profile
> > > follows"
> > >

> > > for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh /etc/profile.d/sh.local ; do
> > > if [ -r "$i" ]; then
> > > if [ "${-#*i}" != "$-" ]; then
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "starting $i "
> > > fi
> > > . "$i"
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "finished $i "
> > > fi
> > > else
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "starting $i "
> > > fi
> > > . "$i" >/dev/null
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "finished $i "
> > > fi
> > > fi
> > > fi
> > > done
> > Nice idea. Thank you very much again. I will try to follow your prompts for further inspection and testing.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Zhao
> feeeeresrsdrdcv
cddffdfdfd

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<f505f52d-a3e4-4ff1-8d96-d3cb3e3a3dfan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6893&group=comp.unix.shell#6893

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 19:43:58 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 02:43 UTC

On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 2:53:40 PM UTC-6, Jalen Q wrote:
> On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 9:41:06 AM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > For debugging a script I use
> > > script -c "bash -x script_to_debug_here" a.log
> > >
> > > As for login scripts which I need to see when something changed modified
> > > /etc/profile to check if $HOME/debug is executable and if so run it.
> > > Test is before/after each login script. Example snippet from /etc/profile
> > > follows"
> > >

> > > for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh /etc/profile.d/sh.local ; do
> > > if [ -r "$i" ]; then
> > > if [ "${-#*i}" != "$-" ]; then
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "starting $i "
> > > fi
> > > . "$i"
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "finished $i "
> > > fi
> > > else
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "starting $i "
> > > fi
> > > . "$i" >/dev/null
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "finished $i "
> > > fi
> > > fi
> > > fi
> > > done
> > Nice idea. Thank you very much again. I will try to follow your prompts for further inspection and testing.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Zhao
> feeeeresrsdrdcv

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<909f8bf7-42e6-4b43-b037-a74987697b99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6917&group=comp.unix.shell#6917

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 00:15:16 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:15 UTC

On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 10:28:34 PM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail..com wrote:
> Hi here,
>
> For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?
>
> I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zhaorffrfrrfrfrfrfrfrfrffrfr

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<522d08b3-8e6f-4433-a48f-1b4d1e3105b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6918&group=comp.unix.shell#6918

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 00:16:00 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:16 UTC

On Wednesday, April 5, 2023 at 2:15:20 AM UTC-5, Jalen Q wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 10:28:34 PM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi here,
> >
> > For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?
> >
> > I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Zhaorffrfrrfrfrfrfrfrfrffrfr

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<adda2df9-0311-4904-aafb-be7c9ea3ed7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6924&group=comp.unix.shell#6924

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 20:20:07 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 03:20 UTC

On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 10:28:34 PM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail..com wrote:
> Hi here,
>
> For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?
>
> I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zhao

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<0b064d43-eabf-490b-8878-9664270c9903n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=6925&group=comp.unix.shell#6925

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 20:20:31 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 03:20 UTC

On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 10:28:34 PM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail..com wrote:
> Hi here,
>
> For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?
>
> I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zhao
gttttfftftftfggyygytytyttggggttggttgtgtgt66666666676ttyyyuy

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<08a76e4a-bc94-409c-97f3-a121ceb1b410n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7031&group=comp.unix.shell#7031

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 14:15:41 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 21:15 UTC

On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 10:28:34 PM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail..com wrote:
> Hi here,
>
> For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?
>
> I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zhao
fffdtdfdfrrrdrdtdtttffrfrf

Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<effab43f-f856-4d8e-8554-cf8e4731c47en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7200&group=comp.unix.shell#7200

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 20:28:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during
the logging process.
From: hongyi.zhao@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 04:28 UTC

Hi here,

For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?

I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.

Regards,
Zhao

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<slrntt42v6.176b.BitTwister@wb.home.arpa>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7201&group=comp.unix.shell#7201

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
during the logging process.
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:13:03 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 05:13 UTC

On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 20:28:31 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi here,
>
> For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?
>
> I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.

Since you did not provide what Distribution you are using, no one can a
lot of detailed information.

So, check system logs, X11 logs, and user logs.
Since I am running Xfce4 on Mageia Linux that would be journalctl, /var/log.
and ~/.*error*

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<dce84b69-c48e-4309-8b25-b05d44adeec9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7202&group=comp.unix.shell#7202

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:17:06 -0800 (PST)
during the logging process.
From: hongyi.zhao@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 07:17 UTC

On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 1:13:16 PM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 20:28:31 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi here,
> >
> > For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?
> >
> > I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.
> Since you did not provide what Distribution you are using, no one can a
> lot of detailed information.

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 22.10
Codename: kinetic

werner@X10DAi:~$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

Furthermore, I've complicated and structured customized profile configurations in the following locations:

werner@X10DAi:~$ ls /etc/profile.d/000-rootshare.sh
/etc/profile.d/000-rootshare.sh
werner@X10DAi:~$ ls ~/.profile.d/
000-networkd-resolved-netplan-dnsmasq.bash 300-fcitx5-rime.bash
001-dnsmasq-dnsproxy.bash 300-firefox.bash
005-blacklist-nouveau.sh 300-ftl.git.bash
005-disable-update-upgrade.sh 300-fzf.git.bash
005-fix-locale.bash 300-gnus.d.bash
005-git-env.sh 300-iso.bash
005-zsys-daemon-connection-error.bash 300-nginx.git.bash
010-docker-client.sh 300-openjdk.bash
010-docker-daemon.sh 300-openssh.bash
010-dockerd-data-root.sh.save 300-ripgrep-all.git.bash.save
010-proxychains-ng-daemon.git.bash 300-ripgrep.git.bash
015-apollo.git.bash 300-slurm.bash
100-gnome-terminal.sh 300-tclreadline.git.bash
100-xdgbds.bash 300-tessdata_best.git.bash.save
200-git-config.sh 300-tessdata.git.bash
200-go.git.bash 300-texlive.bash
200-pyenv.git.bash 300-wine-libgl.bash
300-brook.git.bash 300-x11docker.git.bash
300-calibre.git.bash 400-maven.bash
300-carat.git.bash 900-homeshare.git.bash
300-ext-saladict-chrome.bash

> So, check system logs, X11 logs, and user logs.
> Since I am running Xfce4 on Mageia Linux that would be journalctl, /var/log.
> and ~/.*error*

Recently, I always meet the "Are you sure you want to proceed?" message on login as described here [1], and none of the above logs give me some clues. I want to disable the above message window to appear each time when I'm trying to log in and still failed to figure out the solution.

[1] https://askubuntu.com/questions/587868/are-you-sure-you-want-to-proceed-message-on-login

Regards,
Zhao

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<n2r4thtqhb1lm61vtndf5ipfebb2rvhh47@dim53.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7203&group=comp.unix.shell#7203

From: k.nuyt@nospam.demon.nl (Kees Nuyt)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 13:12:05 +0100
 by: Kees Nuyt - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 12:12 UTC

On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:17:06 -0800 (PST), "hongy...@gmail.com"
<hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
>werner@X10DAi:~$ ls /etc/profile.d/000-rootshare.sh
>/etc/profile.d/000-rootshare.sh
>werner@X10DAi:~$ ls ~/.profile.d/
>000-networkd-resolved-netplan-dnsmasq.bash 300-fcitx5-rime.bash
>001-dnsmasq-dnsproxy.bash 300-firefox.bash
[...]

Binay search will take just a few tries.
Move half of the scripts in ~/.profile.d/ somewhere where they
will not run.
Try again.
- No error: the problem was in the half you moved away
- Still error: the problem was in the half you did not move

Proceed by activating half of the set of scripts that has the
problem.
Repeat until the size of the set is one script.
--
Kees Nuyt

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<685506d7-1943-4773-87b5-bdc9b2d30ecdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7204&group=comp.unix.shell#7204

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 04:32:49 -0800 (PST)
during the logging process.
From: hongyi.zhao@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 12:32 UTC

On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 8:12:15 PM UTC+8, Kees Nuyt wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:17:06 -0800 (PST), "hongy...@gmail.com"
> <hongy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >werner@X10DAi:~$ ls /etc/profile.d/000-rootshare.sh
> >/etc/profile.d/000-rootshare.sh
> >werner@X10DAi:~$ ls ~/.profile.d/
> >000-networkd-resolved-netplan-dnsmasq.bash 300-fcitx5-rime.bash
> >001-dnsmasq-dnsproxy.bash 300-firefox.bash
> [...]
>
> Binay search will take just a few tries.
> Move half of the scripts in ~/.profile.d/ somewhere where they
> will not run.
> Try again.
> - No error: the problem was in the half you moved away
> - Still error: the problem was in the half you did not move
>
> Proceed by activating half of the set of scripts that has the
> problem.
> Repeat until the size of the set is one script.

Nice idea. I'll give a try.

> --
> Kees Nuyt

Regards,
Zhao

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<slrntt51c0.a9vo.BitTwister@wb.home.arpa>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7205&group=comp.unix.shell#7205

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
during the logging process.
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 07:51:58 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 13:51 UTC

On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:17:06 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:

> Recently, I always meet the "Are you sure you want to proceed?" message on login as described here [1], and none of the above logs give me some clues. I want to disable the above message window to appear each time when I'm trying to log in and still failed to figure out the solution.

I suggest creating a test account, say junk. Log out of hongyi and into junk.
If junk has the same problem as hongyi you know it is a system wide problem.
If junk does not have the problem then you know it is a user (hongyi) problem.

You can test the login process from either account by logging into the
other user account by clicking up a terminal and doing
su - junk
from a hongyi terminal or su - hongyi from a junk terminal, depending
on who you want to test.

For you, I suggest anytime you make any login script change is to
su - junk and very there are no problems.

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<5ae93e9a-0c77-45f0-8202-a10bdcf3bbdfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7206&group=comp.unix.shell#7206

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:09:46 -0800 (PST)
during the logging process.
From: hongyi.zhao@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 03:09 UTC

On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 9:52:05 PM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:17:06 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Recently, I always meet the "Are you sure you want to proceed?" message on login as described here [1], and none of the above logs give me some clues. I want to disable the above message window to appear each time when I'm trying to log in and still failed to figure out the solution.
> I suggest creating a test account, say junk. Log out of hongyi and into junk.
> If junk has the same problem as hongyi you know it is a system wide problem.
> If junk does not have the problem then you know it is a user (hongyi) problem.
>
> You can test the login process from either account by logging into the
> other user account by clicking up a terminal and doing
> su - junk
> from a hongyi terminal or su - hongyi from a junk terminal, depending
> on who you want to test.
>
> For you, I suggest anytime you make any login script change is to
> su - junk and very there are no problems.

Do you mean always first test any newly added/revised script with this account?

Best,
Zhao

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<slrntt6gfa.cl2l.BitTwister@wb.home.arpa>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7207&group=comp.unix.shell#7207

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
during the logging process.
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 21:15:54 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 03:15 UTC

On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:09:46 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 9:52:05 PM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:17:06 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:

>> For you, I suggest anytime you make any login script change is to
>> su - junk and very there are no problems.
>
> Do you mean always first test any newly added/revised script with this
> account?

Why not. Can not see that it take long to su -l junk and enter password.

On my distribution, that kind of error will not let you do a gui login.

What is your procedure if you make a change and can not do a gui login?

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<tqvq5v$1isiu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7208&group=comp.unix.shell#7208

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
during the logging process.
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 07:15:27 +0100
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 06:15 UTC

On 27.01.2023 04:09, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 9:52:05 PM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Do you mean always first test any newly added/revised script with this account?

Nah! In this part of the world we say that testing is only for wimps.

We accept that systems get spoiled. Provide arbitrary changes quickly.
It's certainly thrilling.

Unavailable and unreliable and non-trustworthy environments for users
and customers are just a minor nuisance.

Real heroes can then jump in an fix any issues. (With more untested
scripts.)

Mind that admins get no credit for nicely and reliably working systems.

If you show that you can fix issues (and issues of fixes, recursively)
you prove that you are a competent doer, a hero with quick solutions.
(In many environments no one cares if you are the [continuous] source
of the issue.)

This all works well at least in companies with ignorant management and
where folks have to depend on skills and expertise.

Disclaimer: Anyone who is taking above as serious professional approach
is hopelessly lost. - OTOH that might fit well in quite some parts of
our (IT-)world. *sigh*

Janis

> Best,
> Zhao

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<b1050002-88c7-4302-963e-f2feeae4e7c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7209&group=comp.unix.shell#7209

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 00:35:24 -0800 (PST)
during the logging process.
From: hongyi.zhao@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 08:35 UTC

On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 11:16:01 AM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:09:46 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 9:52:05 PM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:
> >> On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:17:06 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >> For you, I suggest anytime you make any login script change is to
> >> su - junk and very there are no problems.
> >
> > Do you mean always first test any newly added/revised script with this
> > account?
> Why not. Can not see that it take long to su -l junk and enter password.

Agreed.
> On my distribution, that kind of error will not let you do a gui login.

That's the same dilemma I face here.

> What is your procedure if you make a change and can not do a gui login?

Fortunately, I found the following quick workaround to avoid rebooting the system for the next login attempt when the "Are you sure you want to proceed?" problem occurs:

1. Ctrl + Alt + F4 opens a console window, where you can log in using the username and password.
2. After logging in, run the following command to restart gdm:

$ sudo systemctl restart gdm

3. Then you will have the opportunity to log back in to the GUI.

Best,
Zhao

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<slrntt7b2p.lv0h.BitTwister@wb.home.arpa>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7210&group=comp.unix.shell#7210

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
during the logging process.
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 04:50:00 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 10:50 UTC

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 00:35:24 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 11:16:01 AM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:

>> > Do you mean always first test any newly added/revised script with this
>> > account?
>> Why not. Can not see that it take long to su -l junk and enter password.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> On my distribution, that kind of error will not let you do a gui login.
>
> That's the same dilemma I face here.
>
>> What is your procedure if you make a change and can not do a gui login?
>
> Fortunately, I found the following quick workaround to avoid rebooting the system for the next login attempt when the "Are you sure you want to proceed?" problem occurs:
>
> 1. Ctrl + Alt + F4 opens a console window, where you can log in using the username and password.
> 2. After logging in, run the following command to restart gdm:
>
> $ sudo systemctl restart gdm
>
> 3. Then you will have the opportunity to log back in to the GUI.

But what happens if gui does not start.

Can YOU run a non gui editor to rectify your induced problem?

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<9d373ee3-c246-4e8a-8acd-48ec9f464373n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7211&group=comp.unix.shell#7211

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 06:14:53 -0800 (PST)
during the logging process.
From: hongyi.zhao@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 14:14 UTC

On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 6:50:08 PM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 00:35:24 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> Why not. Can not see that it take long to su -l junk and enter password.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> >> On my distribution, that kind of error will not let you do a gui login.
> >
> > That's the same dilemma I face here.
> >
> >> What is your procedure if you make a change and can not do a gui login?
> >
> > Fortunately, I found the following quick workaround to avoid rebooting the system for the next login attempt when the "Are you sure you want to proceed?" problem occurs:
> >
> > 1. Ctrl + Alt + F4 opens a console window, where you can log in using the username and password.
> > 2. After logging in, run the following command to restart gdm:
> >
> > $ sudo systemctl restart gdm
> >
> > 3. Then you will have the opportunity to log back in to the GUI.
> But what happens if gui does not start.

As far as the current focus question is concerned, a.k.a., "Are you sure you want to proceed?", I really didn't have observed GUI did not start again.
> Can YOU run a non gui editor to rectify your induced problem?

Only if I know what's the culprit, otherwise, I don't know what should be rectified, just as the question discussed here.

Regards,
Zhao

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<slrntt86t6.17g6.BitTwister@wb.home.arpa>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7212&group=comp.unix.shell#7212

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
during the logging process.
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 12:44:49 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 18:44 UTC

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 06:14:53 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 6:50:08 PM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:

>> Can YOU run a non gui editor to rectify your induced problem?
>
> Only if I know what's the culprit, otherwise, I don't know what should be rectified, just as the question discussed here.

If you are modifying one of your files in the login path, I assume you have
set -u
just after the #!/bin/bash at the top of your scripts, I would expect when
you do a su - l junk you will see some bash error message.

The quest was not about what file, but can YOU run a non-gui editor?

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<eb89317c-5b3e-4ac9-a082-4236256a311en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7213&group=comp.unix.shell#7213

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 16:57:40 -0800 (PST)
during the logging process.
From: hongyi.zhao@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 00:57 UTC

On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 2:44:59 AM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 06:14:53 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 6:50:08 PM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:
>
> >> Can YOU run a non gui editor to rectify your induced problem?
> >
> > Only if I know what's the culprit, otherwise, I don't know what should be rectified, just as the question discussed here.
> If you are modifying one of your files in the login path, I assume you have
> set -u
> just after the #!/bin/bash at the top of your scripts, I would expect when
> you do a su - l junk you will see some bash error message.

Thank you for this tip.
> The quest was not about what file, but can YOU run a non-gui editor?

Yes. I can.

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<tr6p05$2u6i0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7214&group=comp.unix.shell#7214

From: jerry@example.invalid (Jerry Peters)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:38:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jerry Peters - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:38 UTC

Bit Twister <BitTwister@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:09:46 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 9:52:05 PM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:
>>> On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:17:06 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> For you, I suggest anytime you make any login script change is to
>>> su - junk and very there are no problems.
>>
>> Do you mean always first test any newly added/revised script with this
>> account?
>
> Why not. Can not see that it take long to su -l junk and enter password.
>
> On my distribution, that kind of error will not let you do a gui login.
>

> What is your procedure if you make a change and can not do a gui login?

I run a second X server, when I make changes I test by switching to it
& logging in. Most likely, if login fails, it's the change I just made.
I also use it to test changes to my FVWM configuration to see if I
like them.

Jerry

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<c35fad5f-9c96-410d-919d-873b7342eca8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7215&group=comp.unix.shell#7215

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 17:34:18 -0800 (PST)
during the logging process.
From: hongyi.zhao@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 01:34 UTC

On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 8:12:15 PM UTC+8, Kees Nuyt wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:17:06 -0800 (PST), "hongy...@gmail.com"
> <hongy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >werner@X10DAi:~$ ls /etc/profile.d/000-rootshare.sh
> >/etc/profile.d/000-rootshare.sh
> >werner@X10DAi:~$ ls ~/.profile.d/
> >000-networkd-resolved-netplan-dnsmasq.bash 300-fcitx5-rime.bash
> >001-dnsmasq-dnsproxy.bash 300-firefox.bash
> [...]
>
> Binay search will take just a few tries.
> Move half of the scripts in ~/.profile.d/ somewhere where they
> will not run.
> Try again.
> - No error: the problem was in the half you moved away
> - Still error: the problem was in the half you did not move
>
> Proceed by activating half of the set of scripts that has the
> problem.
> Repeat until the size of the set is one script.

I've tried out the above method, and find that the "Are you sure you want to proceed?" problem is not caused by any scripts located under ~/.profile.d/. So what should I do for further examination?

> --
> Kees Nuyt
Zhao

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<qt3fth1t59p0en48r4mmf808vinf9er5ai@dim53.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7218&group=comp.unix.shell#7218

From: k.nuyt@nospam.demon.nl (Kees Nuyt)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 10:42:04 +0100
 by: Kees Nuyt - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 09:42 UTC

On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 17:34:18 -0800 (PST), "hongy...@gmail.com"
<hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've tried out the above method, and find that the
> "Are you sure you want to proceed?" problem is not
> caused by any scripts located under ~/.profile.d/. So
> what should I do for further examination?

Continue with the scripts in /etc/profile.d/ , and
and ~/.xxxxxx scripts, like .bashrc and .profile,
and any GUI equivalents of those.
--
Kees Nuyt

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<263ce7f2-0d30-45a6-8b50-d2ea6cb443c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7226&group=comp.unix.shell#7226

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 16:06:11 -0800 (PST)
during the logging process.
From: hongyi.zhao@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 00:06 UTC

On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 5:42:13 PM UTC+8, Kees Nuyt wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 17:34:18 -0800 (PST), "hongy...@gmail.com"
> <hongy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've tried out the above method, and find that the
> > "Are you sure you want to proceed?" problem is not
> > caused by any scripts located under ~/.profile.d/. So
> > what should I do for further examination?
> Continue with the scripts in /etc/profile.d/ , and
> and ~/.xxxxxx scripts, like .bashrc and .profile,
> and any GUI equivalents of those.

In my case, it seems that all stuff under /etc/profile.d/, and in .bashrc or .profile are not the culprits. And I've the following ~/.xxxxxx scripts:

werner@X10DAi:~$ find -L . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -xtype l -name '.*'
../.bashrc
../.newsrc
../.newsrc.eld
../.gprc
../.tclshrc
../.gnus.el
../.git
../.zshrc
werner@X10DAi:~$ find . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type f -name '.*'
../.sys1og.conf
../.pypirc
../.xdvirc
../.zlua
../.sudo_as_admin_successful
../.bash_history
../.wget-hsts
../.pmgrc.yaml
../.latexmkrc
../.profile
../.gap_hist
../.gp_history
../.ripgreprc
../.emacs-w3m.el
../.condarc
../.lesshst
../.python_history
../.gitconfig
../.xinputrc

However, not all of them will be sourced by the login process. So how should I further focus on some of them?

> --
> Kees Nuyt
Zhao