Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too." -- Dave Haynie

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

SubjectAuthor
* I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization isAlan
+* Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...badgolferman
> [...]
|  |         +* Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind ofJolly Roger
|  |         |`- Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customizationAlan
|  |         +* Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind ofbadgolferman
|  |         |`* Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind ofJolly Roger
|  |         | `* Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customizationAlan
|  |         |  `- Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind ofChris
|  |         `- Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind ofChris
|  `* Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customizationsms
|   `- Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customizationAlan
+- Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customizationAlan Browne
`- Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind ofJolly Roger

Pages:12
I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uekufc$db48$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7258&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7258

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is
bad...
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 13:46:36 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 20:46 UTC

....because it's Apple:

'Since publishing my review, I’ve tweaked my Action button shortcut to
work this way:

— If the device orientation is face down or portrait upside-down, toggle
Silent mode. (And when turning Silent mode from off to on, vibrate the
phone.)
— Otherwise launch Camera.

Screenshot of the main shortcut, and the helper that toggles Silent mode
with vibration for turning it on:'

<https://www.threads.net/@gruber/post/CxgAPvMuhOa>

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<xn0o75a7xbsj5on003@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7260&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7260

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:16:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:16 UTC

Alan wrote:

>...because it's Apple:
>
>'Since publishing my review, I’ve tweaked my Action button shortcut
>to work this way:
>
>— If the device orientation is face down or portrait upside-down,
>toggle Silent mode. (And when turning Silent mode from off to on,
>vibrate the phone.) — Otherwise launch Camera.
>
>Screenshot of the main shortcut, and the helper that toggles Silent
>mode with vibration for turning it on:'
>
><https://www.threads.net/@gruber/post/CxgAPvMuhOa>

Customization is always good, but not at the expense of proven
functionality.

--
Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the
very same reason.

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<aCnPM.146022$GHI6.103814@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7261&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7261

Subject: Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization
is bad...
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 17:24:21 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:24 UTC

On 2023-09-22 16:46, Alan wrote:
> ...because it's Apple:
>
> 'Since publishing my review, I’ve tweaked my Action button shortcut to
> work this way:
>
> — If the device orientation is face down or portrait upside-down, toggle
> Silent mode. (And when turning Silent mode from off to on, vibrate the
> phone.)
>  — Otherwise launch Camera.

Interesting. I'm sure people will come up with lot of interesting
shortcuts to assign to the button.

> Screenshot of the main shortcut, and the helper that toggles Silent mode
> with vibration for turning it on:'
>
> <https://www.threads.net/@gruber/post/CxgAPvMuhOa>

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<kn6fh8Fu5t1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7262&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7262

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of
customization is bad...
Date: 22 Sep 2023 21:33:29 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:33 UTC

On 2023-09-22, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> ...because it's Apple:
>
> 'Since publishing my review, I’ve tweaked my Action button shortcut to
> work this way:
>
> — If the device orientation is face down or portrait upside-down, toggle
> Silent mode. (And when turning Silent mode from off to on, vibrate the
> phone.)
> — Otherwise launch Camera.
>
> Screenshot of the main shortcut, and the helper that toggles Silent mode
> with vibration for turning it on:'
>
><https://www.threads.net/@gruber/post/CxgAPvMuhOa>

Nice. Now I want a 15, dammit. 🤣

JR

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uel57d$eh84$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7277&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7277

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
is bad...
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:41:49 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 22:41 UTC

On 2023-09-22 14:16, badgolferman wrote:
> Alan wrote:
>
>> ...because it's Apple:
>>
>> 'Since publishing my review, I’ve tweaked my Action button shortcut
>> to work this way:
>>
>> — If the device orientation is face down or portrait upside-down,
>> toggle Silent mode. (And when turning Silent mode from off to on,
>> vibrate the phone.) — Otherwise launch Camera.
>>
>> Screenshot of the main shortcut, and the helper that toggles Silent
>> mode with vibration for turning it on:'
>>
>> <https://www.threads.net/@gruber/post/CxgAPvMuhOa>
>

> Customization is always good, but not at the expense of proven
> functionality.

Except it isn't at the expense of proven functionality.

That's the point.

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uel7aa$etk7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7278&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7278

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
customization is bad...
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 23:17:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:EVBl0G3m4Qg17MNFcklvWCvK5zE=
 by: badgolferman - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 23:17 UTC

Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2023-09-22 14:16, badgolferman wrote:
>> Alan wrote:
>>
>>> ...because it's Apple:
>>>
>>> 'Since publishing my review, I’ve tweaked my Action button shortcut
>>> to work this way:
>>>
>>> — If the device orientation is face down or portrait upside-down,
>>> toggle Silent mode. (And when turning Silent mode from off to on,
>>> vibrate the phone.) — Otherwise launch Camera.
>>>
>>> Screenshot of the main shortcut, and the helper that toggles Silent
>>> mode with vibration for turning it on:'
>>>
>>> <https://www.threads.net/@gruber/post/CxgAPvMuhOa>
>>

>> Customization is always good, but not at the expense of proven
>> functionality.
>>

> Except it isn't at the expense of proven functionality.
>
> That's the point.

It is. The visual/tactile indicator of the rocker switch and the orange bar
is lost now. Now if you’re in a meeting and can’t remember whether you
silenced your phone, you can’t just feel the switch position with your
finger if it’s in your pocket and you can’t just look at the edge of the
phone if it’s sitting on the table.

I know you don’t care about any of that because you didn’t use it that way,
but many people did. It’s all the rest of us who will have to adapt to a
new method when the old way worked perfectly fine.

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uelclq$fnfj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7285&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7285

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
is bad...
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 17:48:58 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 00:48 UTC

On 2023-09-22 16:17, badgolferman wrote:
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> Customization is always good, but not at the expense of proven
>>> functionality.
>>>

>> Except it isn't at the expense of proven functionality.
>>
>> That's the point.
>>

> It is. The visual/tactile indicator of the rocker switch and the
orange bar
> is lost now. Now if you’re in a meeting and can’t remember whether
> you silenced your phone, you can’t just feel the switch position with
> your finger if it’s in your pocket and you can’t just look at the
> edge of the phone if it’s sitting on the table.

Nope.

The shortcut makes it so that the button buzzes when silent is turned
ON. So it's just as tactile. Have the phone in your pocket and want to
check its silent status? Press the button. If it buzzes, it's now
silent. If it doesn't, press it again.

Done.

As for the silliness about "sitting on the table", my iPhone 8 is right
beside me—not more than 30" from my eyes, and I cannot see the status of
the switch from here; regardless of whether I put it face up or face down.

> I know you don’t care about any of that because you didn’t use it
> that way, > but many people did. It’s all the rest of us who will have to adapt
> to a new method when the old way worked perfectly fine.
And in return, get lots of ways you can use it IN ADDITION to that
single function.

Real estate on the outside of a phone that isn't on the screen is quite
limited. Having buttons/controls that only do one thing is wasteful of
that scare resource.

Furthermore, designing as sliding switch to be waterproof is pretty
obviously more difficult than doing the same with a push button.

Now. Have you got any more whining about things that are obviously
bullshit you'd like to do?

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<kn7delF492bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7291&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7291

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
customization is bad...
Date: 23 Sep 2023 06:04:05 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 06:04 UTC

On 2023-09-23, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2023-09-22 16:17, badgolferman wrote:
>> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Except it isn't at the expense of proven functionality.
>>>
>>> That's the point.
>>
>> It is. The visual/tactile indicator of the rocker switch and the
>> orange bar is lost now. Now if you’re in a meeting and can’t remember
>> whether you silenced your phone, you can’t just feel the switch
>> position with your finger if it’s in your pocket and you can’t just
>> look at the edge of the phone if it’s sitting on the table.
>
> Nope.
>
> The shortcut makes it so that the button buzzes when silent is turned
> ON. So it's just as tactile. Have the phone in your pocket and want to
> check its silent status? Press the button. If it buzzes, it's now
> silent. If it doesn't, press it again.
>
> Done.
>
> As for the silliness about "sitting on the table", my iPhone 8 is
> right beside me—not more than 30" from my eyes, and I cannot see the
> status of the switch from here; regardless of whether I put it face up
> or face down.
>
>> I know you don’t care about any of that because you didn’t use it
>> that way, > but many people did. It’s all the rest of us who will
>> have to adapt to a new method when the old way worked perfectly fine.
>
> And in return, get lots of ways you can use it IN ADDITION to that
> single function.
>
> Real estate on the outside of a phone that isn't on the screen is
> quite limited. Having buttons/controls that only do one thing is
> wasteful of that scare resource.
>
> Furthermore, designing as sliding switch to be waterproof is pretty
> obviously more difficult than doing the same with a push button.
>
> Now. Have you got any more whining about things that are obviously
> bullshit you'd like to do?

Count on it. His posting history here shows whining about bullshit in
weak trolls is what he lives for.

JR

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uem4eb$gf5v$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7294&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7294

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
is bad...
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:34:35 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 07:34 UTC

Am 23.09.23 um 08:04 schrieb Jolly Roger:
> On 2023-09-23, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>> Now. Have you got any more whining about things that are obviously
>> bullshit you'd like to do?
>
> Count on it. His posting history here shows whining about bullshit in
> weak trolls is what he lives for.

We all know that "badgolferman" is a notorious Troll and this week he
proved again he is not capable of coping with changes and progress.
Why are you both feeding this bored Troll?

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uem542$n6r2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7295&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7295

From: Hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
customization is bad...
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 07:46:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:V2yEyRgq6L5tfUpdTPemoomLxic=
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 07:46 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 23.09.23 um 08:04 schrieb Jolly Roger:
>> On 2023-09-23, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>>> Now. Have you got any more whining about things that are obviously
>>> bullshit you'd like to do?
>>
>> Count on it. His posting history here shows whining about bullshit in
>> weak trolls is what he lives for.
>
> We all know that "badgolferman" is a notorious Troll and this week he
> proved again he is not capable of coping with changes and progress.
> Why are you both feeding this bored Troll?

Do you think he’s Arlen?

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uemdtn$ogi8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7296&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7296

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
customization is bad...
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 10:16:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:uG6BRs6YPyZy/P67HeNT2WD38e8=
 by: Chris - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 10:16 UTC

Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2023-09-22 16:17, badgolferman wrote:
>> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> Except it isn't at the expense of proven functionality.
>>>
>>> That's the point.
>>>

>> It is. The visual/tactile indicator of the rocker switch and the
> orange bar
>> is lost now. Now if you’re in a meeting and can’t remember whether
>> you silenced your phone, you can’t just feel the switch position with
>> your finger if it’s in your pocket and you can’t just look at the
>> edge of the phone if it’s sitting on the table.
>
> Nope.
>
> The shortcut makes it so that the button buzzes when silent is turned
> ON. So it's just as tactile. Have the phone in your pocket and want to
> check its silent status? Press the button. If it buzzes, it's now
> silent. If it doesn't, press it again.
>
> Done.
>
> As for the silliness about "sitting on the table", my iPhone 8 is right
> beside me—not more than 30" from my eyes, and I cannot see the status of
> the switch from here; regardless of whether I put it face up or face down.
>

>> I know you don’t care about any of that because you didn’t use it
>> that way, > but many people did. It’s all the rest of us who will have to adapt
>> to a new method when the old way worked perfectly fine.
> And in return, get lots of ways you can use it IN ADDITION to that
> single function.
>
> Real estate on the outside of a phone that isn't on the screen is quite
> limited. Having buttons/controls that only do one thing is wasteful of
> that scare resource.

It depends if it's a valuable use of that resource. For many, myself
included, it is.

> Furthermore, designing as sliding switch to be waterproof is pretty
> obviously more difficult than doing the same with a push button.

Genuinely, how important is it for a phone to be waterproof to 6m for 30m?
Resistance to a good soaking in the rain or an accidental drop in the
bath/sink/toilet is plenty.

> Now. Have you got any more whining about things that are obviously
> bullshit you'd like to do?

Funny how some people think their experience is superior to anyone else's.
It must be weird to have only one perspective.

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<Y0CPM.122533$Hih7.54270@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7299&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7299

is bad...
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:48:40 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 13:48 UTC

On 2023-09-23 03:46, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Count on it. His posting history here shows whining about bullshit in
>>> weak trolls is what he lives for.
>>
>> We all know that "badgolferman" is a notorious Troll and this week he
>> proved again he is not capable of coping with changes and progress.
>> Why are you both feeding this bored Troll?
>>

> Do you think he’s Arlen?

Remember straight man / funny man comedy teams?

That is this pair in the troll genre.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uen9h8$sqdg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7303&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7303

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
is bad...
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 11:07:36 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:07 UTC

On 2023-09-23 03:16, Chris wrote:
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> It is. The visual/tactile indicator of the rocker switch and the
>> orange bar
>>> is lost now. Now if you’re in a meeting and can’t remember whether
>>> you silenced your phone, you can’t just feel the switch position with
>>> your finger if it’s in your pocket and you can’t just look at the
>>> edge of the phone if it’s sitting on the table.
>>
>> Nope.
>>
>> The shortcut makes it so that the button buzzes when silent is turned
>> ON. So it's just as tactile. Have the phone in your pocket and want to
>> check its silent status? Press the button. If it buzzes, it's now
>> silent. If it doesn't, press it again.
>>
>> Done.
>>
>> As for the silliness about "sitting on the table", my iPhone 8 is right
>> beside me—not more than 30" from my eyes, and I cannot see the status of
>> the switch from here; regardless of whether I put it face up or face down.
>>

>>> I know you don’t care about any of that because you didn’t use it
>>> that way, > but many people did. It’s all the rest of us who will have to adapt
>>> to a new method when the old way worked perfectly fine.
>> And in return, get lots of ways you can use it IN ADDITION to that
>> single function.
>>
>> Real estate on the outside of a phone that isn't on the screen is quite
>> limited. Having buttons/controls that only do one thing is wasteful of
>> that scare resource.
>
> It depends if it's a valuable use of that resource. For many, myself
> included, it is.

But you haven't lost that use.

It is very slightly changed, but you've still got it.

>> Furthermore, designing as sliding switch to be waterproof is pretty
>> obviously more difficult than doing the same with a push button.
>
> Genuinely, how important is it for a phone to be waterproof to 6m for 30m?
> Resistance to a good soaking in the rain or an accidental drop in the
> bath/sink/toilet is plenty.
>
>> Now. Have you got any more whining about things that are obviously
>> bullshit you'd like to do?
>
> Funny how some people think their experience is superior to anyone else's.
> It must be weird to have only one perspective.

How is your stance the least bit different.

You're insisting you've lost something that you empirically HAVE NOT LOST.

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<kn8o51Fatf9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7306&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7306

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
customization is bad...
Date: 23 Sep 2023 18:12:49 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:12 UTC

On 2023-09-23, Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 23.09.23 um 08:04 schrieb Jolly Roger:
>> On 2023-09-23, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>>> Now. Have you got any more whining about things that are obviously
>>> bullshit you'd like to do?
>>
>> Count on it. His posting history here shows whining about bullshit in
>> weak trolls is what he lives for.
>
> We all know that "badgolferman" is a notorious Troll and this week he
> proved again he is not capable of coping with changes and progress.
> Why are you both feeding this bored Troll?

Why are you feeding it now? Ironic.

JR

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<kn8o6jFatf9U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7307&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7307

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
customization is bad...
Date: 23 Sep 2023 18:13:39 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:13 UTC

On 2023-09-23, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-09-23 03:46, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

>>> We all know that "badgolferman" is a notorious Troll and this week
>>> he proved again he is not capable of coping with changes and
>>> progress. Why are you both feeding this bored Troll?
>>
>> Do you think he’s Arlen?
>
> Remember straight man / funny man comedy teams?
>
> That is this pair in the troll genre.

They are part of the same team. They always back each other up.

JR

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uenost$10ekp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7338&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7338

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
customization is bad...
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:29:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:TaMPZMztkZu7hY2aGNORMf7uprc=
 by: Chris - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:29 UTC

Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2023-09-23 03:16, Chris wrote:
>> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> orange bar
>>>
>>> Nope.
>>>
>>> The shortcut makes it so that the button buzzes when silent is turned
>>> ON. So it's just as tactile. Have the phone in your pocket and want to
>>> check its silent status? Press the button. If it buzzes, it's now
>>> silent. If it doesn't, press it again.
>>>
>>> Done.
>>>
>>> As for the silliness about "sitting on the table", my iPhone 8 is right
>>> beside me—not more than 30" from my eyes, and I cannot see the status of
>>> the switch from here; regardless of whether I put it face up or face down.

>>> And in return, get lots of ways you can use it IN ADDITION to that
>>> single function.
>>>
>>> Real estate on the outside of a phone that isn't on the screen is quite
>>> limited. Having buttons/controls that only do one thing is wasteful of
>>> that scare resource.
>>
>> It depends if it's a valuable use of that resource. For many, myself
>> included, it is.
>
> But you haven't lost that use.
>
> It is very slightly changed, but you've still got it.

It's fundamentally changed. Hardware removed in favour of software.

>>> Furthermore, designing as sliding switch to be waterproof is pretty
>>> obviously more difficult than doing the same with a push button.
>>
>> Genuinely, how important is it for a phone to be waterproof to 6m for 30m?
>> Resistance to a good soaking in the rain or an accidental drop in the
>> bath/sink/toilet is plenty.
>>
>>> Now. Have you got any more whining about things that are obviously
>>> bullshit you'd like to do?
>>
>> Funny how some people think their experience is superior to anyone else's.
>> It must be weird to have only one perspective.
>
> How is your stance the least bit different.

I'm not dismissing your view as whining or bullshit.

> You're insisting you've lost something that you empirically HAVE NOT LOST.

I regularly look at my phone to see if it's on mute or not. I won't be able
to do that on the 15. So yes the functionality has EXPLICITLY GONE. I don't
want a multifunction button. It'll work just as well as double/back tap
i.e. not very.

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uenq4d$1pmsa$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7339&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7339

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:50:53 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:50 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote

> They are part of the same team.

There are only three adults on this newsgroup - you've got two of them.

HINT: All the child-like iKooks are uneducated, ignorant and have a low IQ
(i.e., Alan Browne, Alan Baker, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger, nospam, etc.)

Hence the only other adult is also
a. Well educated
b. Not ignorant
c. At least a normal IQ

Who is the third adult on this newsgroup, Jolly Roger?
--
The iKooks are what they are _because_ of their extremely low IQ.

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uenus4$113fb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7340&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7340

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
is bad...
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:11:48 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 00:11 UTC

On 2023-09-23 15:29, Chris wrote:
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> It depends if it's a valuable use of that resource. For many, myself
>>> included, it is.
>>
>> But you haven't lost that use.
>>
>> It is very slightly changed, but you've still got it.
>
> It's fundamentally changed. Hardware removed in favour of software.

>>> Genuinely, how important is it for a phone to be waterproof to 6m for 30m?
>>> Resistance to a good soaking in the rain or an accidental drop in the
>>> bath/sink/toilet is plenty.

>>> Funny how some people think their experience is superior to anyone else's.
>>> It must be weird to have only one perspective.
>>
>> How is your stance the least bit different.
>
> I'm not dismissing your view as whining or bullshit.

But you're still dismissing it...

....which is the essence of thinking your experience is superior.

>> You're insisting you've lost something that you empirically HAVE NOT LOST.
>
> I regularly look at my phone to see if it's on mute or not. I won't be able
> to do that on the 15. So yes the functionality has EXPLICITLY GONE. I don't
> want a multifunction button. It'll work just as well as double/back tap
> i.e. not very.

Yes, you will. You just won't be able to look at the status ON THE SWITCH.

You're not very good at this whole "thinking it through" thing...

....are you?

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uenut6$113fb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7341&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7341

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
is bad...
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:12:21 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 00:12 UTC

On 2023-09-23 15:50, Wally J wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote
>
>> They are part of the same team.
>
> There are only three adults on this newsgroup - you've got two of them.
>
> HINT: All the child-like iKooks are uneducated, ignorant and have a low IQ
> (i.e., Alan Browne, Alan Baker, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger, nospam, etc.)
>
> Hence the only other adult is also
> a. Well educated

So me.

> b. Not ignorant

Also me.

> c. At least a normal IQ
And me!

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<kn9fvqFek45U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7344&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7344

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
customization is bad...
Date: 24 Sep 2023 00:59:39 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 00:59 UTC

On 2023-09-23, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> It depends if it's a valuable use of that resource. For many, myself
>>> included, it is.
>>
>> But you haven't lost that use.
>>
>> It is very slightly changed, but you've still got it.
>
> It's fundamentally changed. Hardware removed in favour of software.

A limited single-purpose switch was replaced by a multi-purpose switch
that is both *much* more flexible and *much* more capable button.

JR

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<kn9g3lFek45U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7345&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7345

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
customization is bad...
Date: 24 Sep 2023 01:01:41 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 01:01 UTC

On 2023-09-23, Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote
>
>> They are part of the same team.
>
> child-like
> iKooks
> uneducated
> ignorant
> low IQ

Like a child, Arlen just keeps repeating the same, tried insults
thinking they are magically more effective when repeated. What a bore.

JR

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<ueo1sm$11k7v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7346&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7346

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
is bad...
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:03:18 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 01:03 UTC

On 2023-09-23 17:59, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-09-23, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> But you haven't lost that use.
>>>
>>> It is very slightly changed, but you've still got it.
>>
>> It's fundamentally changed. Hardware removed in favour of software.
>
> A limited single-purpose switch was replaced by a multi-purpose switch
> that is both *much* more flexible and *much* more capable button.

But Chris might have to exercise his brain for 5 minutes to figure out
how to use this new switch!!!!!

Weahhhhhh! It's not fair!

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<ueo4tj$15v11$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7349&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7349

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 21:54:58 -0400
References: <uekufc$db48$1@dont-email.me> <xn0o75a7xbsj5on003@reader443.eternal-september.org> <uel57d$eh84$1@dont-email.me> <uel7aa$etk7$1@dont-email.me> <uelclq$fnfj$2@dont-email.me> <kn7delF492bU2@mid.individual.net> <uem4eb$gf5v$1@solani.org> <uem542$n6r2$1@dont-email.me> <Y0CPM.122533$Hih7.54270@fx11.iad> <kn8o6jFatf9U2@mid.individual.net> <uenq4d$1pmsa$1@paganini.bofh.team> <kn9g3lFek45U4@mid.individual.net>
 by: Wally J - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 01:54 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote

> thinking they are magically more effective when repeated

Actually, every post from you iKooks proves me correct, Jolly Roger.

Hence, they're not insults.

They're facts.

About you.

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<ueo5sm$164er$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7351&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7351

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
is bad...
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:11:34 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 02:11 UTC

On 2023-09-23 18:54, Wally J wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote
>
>> thinking they are magically more effective when repeated
>
> Actually, every post from you iKooks proves me correct, Jolly Roger.
>
> Hence, they're not insults.
>
> They're facts.
>
> About you.

LOL!

Re: I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...

<uepv49$1fdgr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=7364&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#7364

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
customization is bad...
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 18:28:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Jnc7ALWDxaz28gZMBySHN+MnnE0=
 by: Chris - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 18:28 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2023-09-23, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> But you haven't lost that use.
>>>
>>> It is very slightly changed, but you've still got it.
>>
>> It's fundamentally changed. Hardware removed in favour of software.
>
> A limited single-purpose switch was replaced by a multi-purpose switch
> that is both *much* more flexible and *much* more capable button.

Whilst reducing the simplicity and effectiveness of its main purpose.

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / I'm sure the trolls will tell us that this kind of customization is bad...