From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Getting Windows ready
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 17:30:02 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 16:30 UTC

I get this every time I try to close down.
It seems on go on forever.
What on earth is it doing?
Can I stop whatever it is?

TIA

Re: Getting Windows ready

<1861z47t85vp1$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72941&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72941

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Getting Windows ready
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 13:12:09 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 18:12 UTC

pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> I get this every time I try to close down. It seems on go on forever.
> What on earth is it doing? Can I stop whatever it is?

System settings -> Notifications and Actions

- Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and occasionally
when I sign in to highlight what's new and suggested

- Suggest ways I can finish settup up my devices to get the most out of
Windows.

Did you leave those enabled? I disabled those immediately after a fresh
install of Windows to get rid of some noise and prying by Microsoft.

Did you leave enabled that Windows can auto-update the drivers, too?
While I could dig around the settings to find where to disable it since
it would commit brain surgery on the OS without my consent, I use
WinAero Tweaker for that along with making other setting changes. In
WinAero Tweaker, search on driver, and select "Behavior\Disable Driver
Updates". Almost all tweaks in WinAero Tweaker have links to
corresponding web pages describing the tweak. For this one, see
https://winaero.com/how-to-turn-off-driver-updates-in-windows-update-in-windows-10/.
No, this is probably not what causes the message you see, but if you
didn't disable that crap then likely you also did not disable automatic
driver updates, too.

Re: Getting Windows ready

<u7ckf9$11dkk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72942&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72942

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 14:12:55 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 18:12 UTC

On 6/26/2023 12:30 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> I get this every time I try to close down.
> It seems on go on forever.
> What on earth is it doing?
> Can I stop whatever it is?
>
> TIA

In Updates and Security, check your Update History table.

An update is trying to install, and is failing.

It is trying to reinstall during shutdown.

*******

Another thing. Run "winver" and report your version.

You can "lock" the version using InControl. Your "winver"
info, tells you where you are currently. My guess is, you're
at 21H2 and the machine is trying and trying, to do 22H2.

https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm

In the example in the picture on the GRC page, it's set to
Windows 10 21H2. Whereas the very latest is 22H2.

The mapping from the "winver" number to the Release, is here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

1909 November 2019 Update 18363

2004 May 2020 Update 19041
20H2 October 2020 Update 19042
21H1 May 2021 Update 19043
21H2 November 2021 Update 19044
22H2 2022 Update 19045 <=== it could be trying to do this one!

*******

In Power Shell, as administrator

get-windowsupdatelog

I figured out the name, by using tab-completion, which sorta works
in Powershell. When it runs, it will dump a text file on your desktop.

While your Update History gives some info, you can also poke around
the newly-generated "WindowsUpdate.log" on the desktop.

*******

There is no reason to assume, based on evidence, that something is
actually broken. It could be, that the VM environment is minus some
needed thing, and that's blowing up the version attempt. While you
can find articles exhorting you to run DISM and SFC, I don't immediately
leap for those.

*******

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-logs

Windows Setup log files analysis using SetupDiag tool

SetupDiag is a diagnostic tool that can be used for analysis of logs related
to installation of Windows Updates. For detailed information, see SetupDiag.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag

Power likely to drop soon. That is all.

Paul

Re: Getting Windows ready

<MPG.3f0379d9933cadf990151@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72943&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72943

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 11:33:30 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 18:33 UTC

On Mon, 26 Jun 2023 13:12:09 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
> Did you leave enabled that Windows can auto-update the drivers, too?
> While I could dig around the settings to find where to disable it since
> it would commit brain surgery on the OS without my consent, I use
> WinAero Tweaker for that along with making other setting changes.

<https://www.minitool.com/news/disable-automatic-driver-updates-win-
10-009.html>

1. Open Settings, select System » About.
2. In right-hand panel, Advanced System Settings.
3. On Hardware tab, Device Installation Settings and select No.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Getting Windows ready

<1k63lytq5kosl$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72945&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72945

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 14:37:53 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 19:37 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Did you leave enabled that Windows can auto-update the drivers, too?
>> While I could dig around the settings to find where to disable it since
>> it would commit brain surgery on the OS without my consent, I use
>> WinAero Tweaker for that along with making other setting changes.
>
> <https://www.minitool.com/news/disable-automatic-driver-updates-win-10-009.html>
>
> 1. Open Settings, select System » About.
> 2. In right-hand panel, Advanced System Settings.
> 3. On Hardware tab, Device Installation Settings and select No.

Shortcut to get to the same config dialog is to run:

sysdm.cpl (tap on Hardware tab)

However, I've tried that before. Didn't stop hardware updates. Used
to, but Microsoft changed their collective mind. That was the old way
to disable hardware updates. I'd still sometimes come back to my
computer to find a prompt to reboot the computer to apply the driver
update which I didn't want.

Now you need to use a policy, and Home users don't have the policy
editor (gpedit.msc). All policies are registry entries, but directly
editing the registry is a pain, there is no undo (in regedit.exe), and
you have to know where is the registry entry to edit. The WinAero
Tweaker article mentions where is the policy entry in the registry, and
how to edit it yourself, or just use the tool to edit the policy.

Re: Getting Windows ready

<u7csf5$12hdu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72946&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72946

From: nospam@unokix.invalid (AllanH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 15:29:23 -0500
 by: AllanH - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 20:29 UTC

On 6/26/2023 2:37 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> Did you leave enabled that Windows can auto-update the drivers, too?
>>> While I could dig around the settings to find where to disable it since
>>> it would commit brain surgery on the OS without my consent, I use
>>> WinAero Tweaker for that along with making other setting changes.
>>
>> <https://www.minitool.com/news/disable-automatic-driver-updates-win-10-009.html>
>>
>> 1. Open Settings, select System » About.
>> 2. In right-hand panel, Advanced System Settings.
>> 3. On Hardware tab, Device Installation Settings and select No.
>
> Shortcut to get to the same config dialog is to run:
>
> sysdm.cpl (tap on Hardware tab)
>
> However, I've tried that before. Didn't stop hardware updates. Used
> to, but Microsoft changed their collective mind. That was the old way
> to disable hardware updates. I'd still sometimes come back to my
> computer to find a prompt to reboot the computer to apply the driver
> update which I didn't want.
>
> Now you need to use a policy, and Home users don't have the policy
> editor (gpedit.msc). All policies are registry entries, but directly
> editing the registry is a pain, there is no undo (in regedit.exe), and
> you have to know where is the registry entry to edit. The WinAero
> Tweaker article mentions where is the policy entry in the registry, and
> how to edit it yourself, or just use the tool to edit the policy.

When I tried the Freeware program, WAU Manager, last year, it actually
installed the Group Policy Editor if it was missing.

https://www.carifred.com/wau_manager/

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Getting Windows ready