An adequate bootstrap is a contradiction in terms.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: OT; rechargeable mouse

SubjectAuthor
* rechargeable mouseknuttle
+* rechargeable mouseChar Jackson
|`- rechargeable mouseponyface
+- rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
+* rechargeable mouseFrank Slootweg
|`* rechargeable mouseFrank Slootweg
| `* rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
|  `- rechargeable mouseFrank Slootweg
+* rechargeable mousejustaW
|`- rechargeable mouseCarlos E.R.
+* rechargeable mouseVanguardLH
|`* rechargeable mouseknuttle
| +- rechargeable mouseBig Al
| +- rechargeable mouseChar Jackson
| +- rechargeable mouseVanguardLH
| +* rechargeable mousePaul
| |`* rechargeable mouseknuttle
| | +- rechargeable mouseVanguardLH
| | +- rechargeable mousePaul
| | `- rechargeable mouseHerbert Kleebauer
| +* rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
| |`* rechargeable mouseChris
| | `* rechargeable mouse Investigationknuttle
| |  +* rechargeable mouse InvestigationAndy Burns
| |  |`* rechargeable mouse InvestigationChar Jackson
| |  | `* rechargeable mouse InvestigationMark Lloyd
| |  |  +- rechargeable mouse Investigationsticks
| |  |  `- rechargeable mouse Investigationwasbit
| |  `- rechargeable mouse InvestigationChris
| `* rechargeable mouseR.Wieser
|  +* rechargeable mouseCarlos E. R.
|  |`* rechargeable mouseR.Wieser
|  | `- rechargeable mouseCarlos E.R.
|  `* rechargeable mouseKen Blake
|   +- rechargeable mouseCarlos E.R.
|   `* rechargeable mouseChris
|    `* rechargeable mouseKen Blake
|     +* rechargeable mouseCarlos E.R.
|     |`- rechargeable mouseChris
|     `- rechargeable mouseMark Lloyd
`* OT; rechargeable mousewasbit
 +* OT; rechargeable mousePaul
 |`- OT; rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
 +- OT; rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
 +- OT; rechargeable mousejustaW
 `* OT; rechargeable mousewasbit
  +* OT; rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
  |`- OT; rechargeable mouseAndy Burns
  `- OT; rechargeable mousewasbit

Pages:12
Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6d328$3j04$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72373&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72373

From: klee@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: rechargeable mouse
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 21:05:44 +0200
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 19:05 UTC

On 14.06.2023 04:13, knuttle wrote:

> SABRENT 2.4GHz Rechargeable Wireless Mouse
>
> I think I will continue to use my old faithful tailed mouse and fight
> the cord to my laptop.

For any device charged by an USB port I recommend to use a
magnetic cable like:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33026129585.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001652926393.html

Re: rechargeable mouse Investigation

<2p4k8ileepb6npoccbsrslj4i22t2pnbvq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72374&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72374

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: rechargeable mouse Investigation
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 14:35:25 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 19:35 UTC

On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 19:48:57 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>knuttle wrote:
>
>> What are people with long mouse battery life doing with their computers,
>
>everything ... I hate using touchpads, I connect via bluetooth, all my
>non-work web browsing, email/usenet happens on this machine.

I would also say 'everything'. I spend a lot of time on mind-numbing
conference calls, so I play mind-numbing games to stay awake and alert.

I play checkers, which I usually reset every 5,000 games although I've
let it get to 25,000 once. It's currently at 13,118 wins and 83 losses.

I also play Spider Solitaire (from XP?) and the stats since the last
reset are currently 10,375 wins and 1,274 losses (Easy mode so I don't
have to put any thought into it).

I also play MS Hearts, which I reset more often. It's currently at 2,065
wins and 262 losses.

I also play Mahjong, which shows about 6,500 games total across the 6
board options.

Each of those games has a lot of click-and-drag, which I would think is
hard on a cordless mouse. Maybe that's why I only get a few months past
the 2-year mark instead of the advertised 3 years.

>> The average mouse battery last 2 to 3 weeks before it has to be
>> replaced.  I use AA Duracell, Eveready alkaline batteries

That sounds like his mouse doesn't know how to go into a battery-saving
mode when it's not being actively used.

I used to use name brand AA batteries but I've switched to our low-cost
option here in the States, Harbor Freight. They cost about 1/4 to 1/3
the cost of the big guys and I'm getting the same life as before.

>I suppose you'll never know unless you buy one of the mice people have
>been recommending ...

+1

Re: rechargeable mouse

<qj7k8i9ds7qhrmgt6svtg1t9d0t70lha2d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72375&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72375

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 13:17:07 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 20:17 UTC

On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 17:07:07 +0200, "R.Wieser" <address@is.invalid>
wrote:

>Knuttle,
>
>> OP: I am looking to a rechargeable, as my experience with battery
>> wireless mice is that the batteries constantly need replacement.
>
>My experiences today are in par with the others here : only once in quite a
>number of months I need to replace them.
>
>One thing to recon with though : if you take a wireless mouse with you (with
>the laptop) than don't forget to switch it off. Movement will keep waking
>it up and than try to get its bearings. Which costs more energy than just
>usage.
>
>> One of the things I like about a wireless mouse it there is not the cord.
>> I am not rough on my mice.
>
>Not having a cord means that its easier to lose, either literally, or by
>just misplacing it somewhere (the shoe in the fridge comes to mind).

Or for me, knocking it onto the floor and breaking it. I used a
wireless mouse for a while, because as far as I knew, the wired model
of the one I wanted wasn't available. After I knocked it onto the
floor umpteen times and finally broke it, I found a wired model of the
same mouse on Amazon, and that's what I now use. I like it much better
that any wireless mouse. By the way, it's an Anker ergonomic vertical
mouse. I like vertical mice much more than the traditional horizontal
mice.

I know I'm in the minority, but I see no value in wireless mice or
keyboards. I don't use mine anyplace but sitting in front of my 34"
monitor.

OT; rechargeable mouse

<u6ek4v$c621$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72378&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72378

From: wasbit@nowhere.invalid (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: OT; rechargeable mouse
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 10:03:26 +0100
 by: wasbit - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 09:03 UTC

On 13/06/2023 15:12, knuttle wrote:
> I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked.
> The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but since
> it recharged  tethered to the computer it was not an inconvenience.
>
> However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and I
> could not recharge it.
>

> Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.

Does a wireless mouse work with a KVM switch?
As I don't have a cordless mouse to try I though here would be a good
place to ask.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: OT; rechargeable mouse

<u6ekp2$c7i9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72379&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72379

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: OT; rechargeable mouse
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 05:14:11 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 09:14 UTC

On 6/15/2023 5:03 AM, wasbit wrote:
> On 13/06/2023 15:12, knuttle wrote:
>> I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked. The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but since it recharged  tethered to the computer it was not an inconvenience.
>>
>> However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and I could not recharge it.
>>

>> Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.
>
> Does a wireless mouse work with a KVM switch?
> As I don't have a cordless mouse to try I though here would be a good place to ask.

Plug the nano transmitter into the KVM mouse USB hole ?

That might work for one of the Logitech, which I think
registers itself as a HID. In that case, none of the
downstream realizes that it is not a wired mouse. Other
implementations may vary (I do not know how the alternate
scheme registers itself).

Paul

Re: OT; rechargeable mouse

<kf07lkFp3gmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72381&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72381

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 11:32:20 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 10:32 UTC

wasbit wrote:

> Does a wireless mouse work with a KVM switch?
> As I don't have a cordless mouse to try I though here would be a good
> place to ask.

Several of my recent mice can have various "pairings" to multiple
computers at the same time (either bluetooth or proprietary USB dongles)
and have a button underneath to switch between which computer they talk
to ... so a bit like a kVM but not as convenient

my wireless mouse and wired keyboard connect to an actual KVM

Re: OT; rechargeable mouse

<kf07puFp3gmU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72382&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72382

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 11:34:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 10:34 UTC

Paul wrote:

> Plug the nano transmitter into the KVM mouse USB hole ?
>
> That might work for one of the Logitech, which I think
> registers itself as a HID.

That does work between my Logitech mouse and Aten USB/DisplayPort kVM,
but neither manufacturer guarantees it will work ... suck it and see.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<bm8rljxd49.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72383&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72383

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 13:19:07 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 11:19 UTC

On 2023-06-14 20:19, R.Wieser wrote:
> Carlos,
>
>> the shoe in the fridge comes to mind.
>>
>> WHAT?
>>
>> I had to look that one up :-D
>>
>> <https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-e&q=what%27s+the+shoe+in+the+fridge%3F>
>
> Not quite what I ment (and would have used "phone, glasses, housekeys"
> instead if I had know that).
>
> Its about to people who go grab a drink or food from the fridge while being
> in deep thought, and as they have their hands full with something they
> absendmindedly put that in the fridge so they have their hand(s) free to
> grab the other thing.

OHHHHHhhh.... yes, right, that one..., yes, I know.

Hard to imagine dropping the shoe in the fridge, though. Too big :-D

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<ou8rljxd49.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72384&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72384

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 13:23:36 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 11:23 UTC

On 2023-06-14 22:17, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 17:07:07 +0200, "R.Wieser" <address@is.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Knuttle,
>>
>>> OP: I am looking to a rechargeable, as my experience with battery
>>> wireless mice is that the batteries constantly need replacement.
>>
>> My experiences today are in par with the others here : only once in quite a
>> number of months I need to replace them.
>>
>> One thing to recon with though : if you take a wireless mouse with you (with
>> the laptop) than don't forget to switch it off. Movement will keep waking
>> it up and than try to get its bearings. Which costs more energy than just
>> usage.
>>
>>> One of the things I like about a wireless mouse it there is not the cord.
>>> I am not rough on my mice.
>>
>> Not having a cord means that its easier to lose, either literally, or by
>> just misplacing it somewhere (the shoe in the fridge comes to mind).
>

> Or for me, knocking it onto the floor and breaking it. I used a
> wireless mouse for a while, because as far as I knew, the wired model
> of the one I wanted wasn't available. After I knocked it onto the
> floor umpteen times and finally broke it, I found a wired model of the
> same mouse on Amazon, and that's what I now use. I like it much better
> that any wireless mouse. By the way, it's an Anker ergonomic vertical
> mouse. I like vertical mice much more than the traditional horizontal
> mice.
>
> I know I'm in the minority, but I see no value in wireless mice or
> keyboards. I don't use mine anyplace but sitting in front of my 34"
> monitor.

I use a wireless keyboard for my mini-server aka media-server. All my
computers use cabled keyboards and mice, except this one. Just
inconvenient to use a cable 3 metres long.

I also use a BT mouse on a tablet. That tablet fell to the floor
breaking the glass, so that touch screen stopped working. A wired mouse
works, but then the tablet can't be charged, single USB port.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: rechargeable mouse Investigation

<cIFiM.2285$Vpga.526@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72386&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72386

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: not.email@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 10:00:24 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 15:00 UTC

On 6/14/23 14:35, Char Jackson wrote:

[snip]

> I also play Spider Solitaire (from XP?) and the stats since the last
> reset are currently 10,375 wins and 1,274 losses (Easy mode so I don't
> have to put any thought into it).

I like Spider Solitaire from XP (it works on W2K if you copy the file),
especially after I disabled the machine-gun sound when dealing.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"No man ever knew Providence to interpose when his neighbor's hens are
scratching up his garden." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth
Reading And Other Essays_]

Re: rechargeable mouse Investigation

<u6fbkk$er1b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72387&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72387

From: wolverine01@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 10:44:19 -0500
 by: sticks - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 15:44 UTC

On 6/15/2023 10:00 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 6/14/23 14:35, Char Jackson wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I also play Spider Solitaire (from XP?) and the stats since the last
>> reset are currently 10,375 wins and 1,274 losses (Easy mode so I don't
>> have to put any thought into it).
>
> I like Spider Solitaire from XP (it works on W2K if you copy the file),
> especially after I disabled the machine-gun sound when dealing.

I do play regular windows 10 solitaire while listening to an afternoon
podcast at times. What I find amazing is that after thousands of games
I certainly can predict the better and not the ususal of several options
to choose. It's not a very good shuffling of the deck. But, I play it
anyways to keep my hands busy while listening.

Re: rechargeable mouse Investigation

<u6fdk3$f7r0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72389&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72389

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 16:18:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:zv22+wqvDBiPdcWVoqHzt8TvcR0=
 by: Chris - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 16:18 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 06/14/2023 10:48 AM, Chris wrote:
>> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>>> That has VASTLY improved for newer mice, at least from Logitech, mine
>>> says 55% remaining after 7 months on a single alkaline AA
>>
>> Same with all my logitech mice. The single AA lasts 12-18 months.
>>
>>> You've had several people say they have battery life in months to years,
>>> rather than days to weeks.
>>
>> I suspect this is mouse quality issue. A high quality one will attempt to
>> reduce battery usage as much as possible to improve the user experience.
> What are people with long mouse battery life doing with their computers,
> vs what people with short computer battery life are doing.

I use my mouse for work 8+ hours a day five days a week. Sometimes weekends
as well.

I've had this current mouse 2 years from new when starting a new job and
changed the battery once a few months ago.

Obviously the first battery was whatever came with the noise and the
current one is a basic panasonic one.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6fe13$f9ns$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72391&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72391

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 16:25:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:SBZcZeBM0yDOjBg2lFjFcePiL7s=
 by: Chris - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 16:25 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 17:07:07 +0200, "R.Wieser" <address@is.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Knuttle,
>>
>>> OP: I am looking to a rechargeable, as my experience with battery
>>> wireless mice is that the batteries constantly need replacement.
>>
>> My experiences today are in par with the others here : only once in quite a
>> number of months I need to replace them.
>>
>> One thing to recon with though : if you take a wireless mouse with you (with
>> the laptop) than don't forget to switch it off. Movement will keep waking
>> it up and than try to get its bearings. Which costs more energy than just
>> usage.
>>
>>> One of the things I like about a wireless mouse it there is not the cord.
>>> I am not rough on my mice.
>>
>> Not having a cord means that its easier to lose, either literally, or by
>> just misplacing it somewhere (the shoe in the fridge comes to mind).
>

> Or for me, knocking it onto the floor and breaking it. I used a
> wireless mouse for a while, because as far as I knew, the wired model
> of the one I wanted wasn't available. After I knocked it onto the
> floor umpteen times and finally broke it, I found a wired model of the
> same mouse on Amazon, and that's what I now use. I like it much better
> that any wireless mouse. By the way, it's an Anker ergonomic vertical
> mouse. I like vertical mice much more than the traditional horizontal
> mice.

I use a trackball mouse that sits in the place on my desk permanently so
little risk of it being knocked off.

> I know I'm in the minority, but I see no value in wireless mice or
> keyboards. I don't use mine anyplace but sitting in front of my 34"
> monitor.

I agree. Especially for a trackball mouse which never moves. Logitech mice
used to use their own USB dongle so you don't even save on the ports. With
BT at least that's a benefit.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<v7gm8i1jvipqo4d1m1db9g9lgo138avsda@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72394&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72394

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 09:51:33 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 16:51 UTC

On Thu, 15 Jun 2023 16:25:08 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 17:07:07 +0200, "R.Wieser" <address@is.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Knuttle,

>>> My experiences today are in par with the others here : only once in quite a
>>> number of months I need to replace them.
>>>
>>> One thing to recon with though : if you take a wireless mouse with you (with
>>> the laptop) than don't forget to switch it off. Movement will keep waking
>>> it up and than try to get its bearings. Which costs more energy than just
>>> usage.

>>> Not having a cord means that its easier to lose, either literally, or by
>>> just misplacing it somewhere (the shoe in the fridge comes to mind).
>>

>> Or for me, knocking it onto the floor and breaking it. I used a
>> wireless mouse for a while, because as far as I knew, the wired model
>> of the one I wanted wasn't available. After I knocked it onto the
>> floor umpteen times and finally broke it, I found a wired model of the
>> same mouse on Amazon, and that's what I now use. I like it much better
>> that any wireless mouse. By the way, it's an Anker ergonomic vertical
>> mouse. I like vertical mice much more than the traditional horizontal
>> mice.
>
>I use a trackball mouse that sits in the place on my desk permanently so
>little risk of it being knocked off.

Lots of people like trackballs. I'm not one of them. I find them very
difficult to use. Yes, with practice, I'm sure I could get used to
them, but I see no reason to make the effort, especially since I'm
happy with what I use.

>> I know I'm in the minority, but I see no value in wireless mice or
>> keyboards. I don't use mine anyplace but sitting in front of my 34"
>> monitor.
>
>I agree. Especially for a trackball mouse which never moves. Logitech mice
>used to use their own USB dongle so you don't even save on the ports. With
>BT at least that's a benefit.

Re: OT; rechargeable mouse

<hKHiM.385$JLp4.93@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72396&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72396

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: justaw@noreply.invalid (justaW)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 13:19:07 -0400
 by: justaW - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 17:19 UTC

On 15-Jun-23 5:03 AM, wasbit wrote:
> On 13/06/2023 15:12, knuttle wrote:
>> I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked.
>> The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but since
>> it recharged  tethered to the computer it was not an inconvenience.
>>
>> However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and I
>> could not recharge it.
>>

>> Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.
>
> Does a wireless mouse work with a KVM switch?
> As I don't have a cordless mouse to try I though here would be a good
> place to ask.

As long as it is a USB wireless mouse and not bluetooth, I don't see why
it wouldn't work. KVM just passes through the USB connection

Re: rechargeable mouse

<71vrljx6sk.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72397&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72397

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 19:40:23 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 17:40 UTC

On 2023-06-15 18:51, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2023 16:25:08 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 17:07:07 +0200, "R.Wieser" <address@is.invalid>
>>> wrote:

>> I use a trackball mouse that sits in the place on my desk permanently so
>> little risk of it being knocked off.
>

> Lots of people like trackballs. I'm not one of them. I find them very
> difficult to use. Yes, with practice, I'm sure I could get used to
> them, but I see no reason to make the effort, especially since I'm
> happy with what I use.

I "discovered" trackballs when at a job I had we sold machines with a
computer, and there simply there was no space for a mouse in the 19"
inches rack tray. Mice have to move around, trackballs remain static.

I tried one, just for kicks, and found I actually liked them, after a
week or two of use.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: rechargeable mouse

<u6ft0a$h5b0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72402&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72402

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 20:40:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3UlFaqBpGH1EPqP1VOrVNivm36A=
 by: Chris - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 20:40 UTC

Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-06-15 18:51, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Jun 2023 16:25:08 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I use a trackball mouse that sits in the place on my desk permanently so
>>> little risk of it being knocked off.
>>

>> Lots of people like trackballs. I'm not one of them. I find them very
>> difficult to use. Yes, with practice, I'm sure I could get used to
>> them, but I see no reason to make the effort, especially since I'm
>> happy with what I use.
>
> I "discovered" trackballs when at a job I had we sold machines with a
> computer, and there simply there was no space for a mouse in the 19"
> inches rack tray. Mice have to move around, trackballs remain static.
>
> I tried one, just for kicks, and found I actually liked them, after a
> week or two of use.

They're ace. Used them almost exclusively for well over 20 years now.

I get a sore shoulder if I use anything else.

Re: rechargeable mouse Investigation

<u6hg1a$qfcp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72409&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72409

From: wasbit@nowhere.invalid (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 12:11:37 +0100
 by: wasbit - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 11:11 UTC

On 15/06/2023 16:00, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 6/14/23 14:35, Char Jackson wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I also play Spider Solitaire (from XP?) and the stats since the last
>> reset are currently 10,375 wins and 1,274 losses (Easy mode so I don't
>> have to put any thought into it).
>
> I like Spider Solitaire from XP (it works on W2K if you copy the file),
> especially after I disabled the machine-gun sound when dealing.
>
> [snip]

XM Solitaire
- https://sourceforge.net/projects/xmsol/

"200 card games for Windows (Freecell, Klondike, Fan, Spider, Pyramid,
Gaps, etc.
Games layout and rules are declared in XML format.
User can add his own cards and background images.
• resizeable window
• unlimited undo, redo
• statistics, score, time
• right-click moves a card to the most suitable cell according to game rules
• double-click moves a card to a free cell
• quickly move whole column if you have enough free cells"

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: rechargeable mouse

<y2%iM.5756$Zq81.1464@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72412&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72412

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: not.email@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 10:17:50 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:17 UTC

[snip]

>> I use a trackball mouse that sits in the place on my desk permanently so
>> little risk of it being knocked off.
>

> Lots of people like trackballs. I'm not one of them. I find them very
> difficult to use. Yes, with practice, I'm sure I could get used to
> them, but I see no reason to make the effort, especially since I'm
> happy with what I use.

I like a trackball in situations where there's no proper flat surface
for a mouse.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"No man ever knew Providence to interpose when his neighbor's hens are
scratching up his garden." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth
Reading And Other Essays_]

Re: OT; rechargeable mouse

<u711ek$38e34$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72641&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72641

From: wasbit@nowhere.invalid (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 09:40:50 +0100
 by: wasbit - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:40 UTC

On 15/06/2023 10:03, wasbit wrote:
> On 13/06/2023 15:12, knuttle wrote:
>> I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked.
>> The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but since
>> it recharged  tethered to the computer it was not an inconvenience.
>>
>> However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and I
>> could not recharge it.
>>

>> Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.
>
> Does a wireless mouse work with a KVM switch?
> As I don't have a cordless mouse to try I though here would be a good
> place to ask.

to an Aten CS62U KVM.
The answer is no. It also stopped the keyboard from working.
Haven't had time to delve any further.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: OT; rechargeable mouse

<kfij1rFjg0cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72642&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72642

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 10:37:00 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 09:37 UTC

wasbit wrote:

>> Does a wireless mouse work with a KVM switch?

> to an Aten CS62U KVM.
> The answer is no. It also stopped the keyboard from working.
> Haven't had time to delve any further.

If the KVM has more than one USB port, try them all, failing that see if
a firmware update exists for it.

My Logitech M650L works with an Aten CS782DP.

Re: OT; rechargeable mouse

<kfijnjFjj37U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72645&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72645

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 10:48:36 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 09:48 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> My Logitech M650L works with an Aten CS782DP.

Actually, that's the wrong mouse (it has the mk2 unifying receiver, I
only use it via bluetooth)

My mice that do work with the mk1 unifying receiver on the KVM are the
MXanywhere3 and MXmaster

Re: rechargeable mouse

<V-SdnQYrmteh-wX5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72889&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72889

Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 17:07:30 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: dennis.gange@gmail.com (ponyface)
 by: ponyface - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 16:07 UTC

On 13/06/2023 15:52, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 10:12:47 -0400, knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked.
>> The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but since
>> it recharged tethered to the computer it was not an inconvenience.
>>
>> However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and I
>> could not recharge it.
>>

>> Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.
>
> Not rechargeable, but I like the Logitech M705 cordless mouse. It can
> use either one or two AA batteries, and in my experience, two batteries
> give me a little over two years of use at about 10-14 hours a day on
> most days. Logitech claims 3 years on two batteries, but I suspect
> they've based that on a more reasonable usage model. The mouse has an
> LED that glows red, well in advance, to warn you when the batteries are
> getting low. I get at least 4-6 months of warning, plenty of time to
> make sure I've got new batteries available.

the logitech trackball m570 is also very good with battery life.and once
you get used to a trackball it is a very good mouse.

Re: OT; rechargeable mouse

<u7grtd$1nm9f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=72956&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#72956

From: wasbit@nowhere.invalid (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 09:44:26 +0100
 by: wasbit - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 08:44 UTC

On 22/06/2023 09:40, wasbit wrote:
> On 15/06/2023 10:03, wasbit wrote:
>> On 13/06/2023 15:12, knuttle wrote:
>>> I purchased a rechargeable mouse, and liked it a lot while it worked.
>>> The battery had to be recharged about every week to 10 days, but
>>> since it recharged  tethered to the computer it was not an
>>> inconvenience.
>>>
>>> However after using it for about 3 month the USB connector broke and
>>> I could not recharge it.
>>>

>>> Has any one found a good inexpensibe rechargeble mouse that the like.
>>
>> Does a wireless mouse work with a KVM switch?
>> As I don't have a cordless mouse to try I though here would be a good
>> place to ask.

> to an Aten CS62U KVM.
> The answer is no. It also stopped the keyboard from working.
> Haven't had time to delve any further.

Having now had time to try again I've found that everything works as it
should across two Windows desktop PCs.
Previous failure, cause unknown & couldn't reproduce it.

--
Regards
wasbit

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: OT; rechargeable mouse