One does not thank logic. -- Sarek, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / QuickBooks freeze ups

SubjectAuthor
* QuickBooks freeze upsT
+* QuickBooks freeze upsVanguardLH
|`* QuickBooks freeze upsT
| +- QuickBooks freeze upsT
| `* QuickBooks freeze upsVanguardLH
|  `* QuickBooks freeze upsT
|   `* QuickBooks freeze upsVanguardLH
|    `- QuickBooks freeze upsT
+- QuickBooks freeze upsWang Yu
`* QuickBooks freeze upsT
 `* QuickBooks freeze upsVanguardLH
  `* QuickBooks freeze upsT
   `* QuickBooks freeze upsBill Bradshaw
    +- QuickBooks freeze upsBill Bradshaw
    `- QuickBooks freeze upsBill Bradshaw

1
QuickBooks freeze ups

<ub1q44$95nv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73615&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73615

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: QuickBooks freeze ups
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 21:47:00 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 04:47 UTC

Hi All,

I am getting nowhere with QuickBooks (QB)
tech support, so I thought I'd run it by
you guys. Their "doctor" program is useless.
That is all they could come up with.

Windows 10 pro 22H2
QB desktop is 2023-R5P 64 bit
Company file is 600MB

Customer has two licenses. The satellite computer,
which is identical to the QuickBooks (QB)server,
has no issues. So nothing wrong with the company
file or the networking.

On the server computer, Quickbooks will freeze
randomly in any window. The customer uses the
Task Manager to kill Quickbooks and starts
over. There are no error messages.

The time is happened to me, the QB splash screen
took forever to load up to the login page. Then
after log in, QB froze. Nothing else was frozen
and the computer was acting normally, except for
QB. The Task manager showed CPU, Drive, Memory,
all very little used. Even tried it with the
Anti Virus disabled.

I have found nothing wrong with the operating
system. Even passed `sfc /scannow`.

Erasing QB and reinstalling did not help.
And QB is on the latest service pack.

How would you guys proceed troubleshooting this?

Many thanks,

-T

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<hzhvtxhollqz.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73616&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73616

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: QuickBooks freeze ups
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 00:17:19 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 05:17 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I am getting nowhere with QuickBooks (QB)
> tech support, so I thought I'd run it by
> you guys. Their "doctor" program is useless.
> That is all they could come up with.
>
> Windows 10 pro 22H2
> QB desktop is 2023-R5P 64 bit
> Company file is 600MB
>
> Customer has two licenses. The satellite computer,
> which is identical to the QuickBooks (QB)server,
> has no issues. So nothing wrong with the company
> file or the networking.
>
> On the server computer, Quickbooks will freeze
> randomly in any window. The customer uses the
> Task Manager to kill Quickbooks and starts
> over. There are no error messages.
>
> The time is happened to me, the QB splash screen
> took forever to load up to the login page. Then
> after log in, QB froze. Nothing else was frozen
> and the computer was acting normally, except for
> QB. The Task manager showed CPU, Drive, Memory,
> all very little used. Even tried it with the
> Anti Virus disabled.
>
> I have found nothing wrong with the operating
> system. Even passed `sfc /scannow`.
>
> Erasing QB and reinstalling did not help.
> And QB is on the latest service pack.
>
> How would you guys proceed troubleshooting this?

I'd look in Event Viewer. Then I'd start Windows in its safe mode to
eliminate all startup program to load QB in a cleaner environment.

QB will freeze after login if the company file exceeds the maximum size.
Pro & Premiere: 250 MB. Enterprise: 1.5 GB. I've also read there is a
limit on vendor, employee, and customer records of 14,500. Also if the
number of DB fragments of 15-19 as critical with 20+ as severe danger.

https://kb.coraltreetech.com/knowledge/woodard-supporting-clients-with-large-files

Besides other suggestions, it mentions how to reduce the size of the QB
file.

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<ub26a2$afqd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73617&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73617

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 01:14:58 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 08:14 UTC

On 8/9/23 22:17, VanguardLH wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I am getting nowhere with QuickBooks (QB)
>> tech support, so I thought I'd run it by
>> you guys. Their "doctor" program is useless.
>> That is all they could come up with.
>>
>> Windows 10 pro 22H2
>> QB desktop is 2023-R5P 64 bit
>> Company file is 600MB
>>
>> Customer has two licenses. The satellite computer,
>> which is identical to the QuickBooks (QB)server,
>> has no issues. So nothing wrong with the company
>> file or the networking.
>>
>> On the server computer, Quickbooks will freeze
>> randomly in any window. The customer uses the
>> Task Manager to kill Quickbooks and starts
>> over. There are no error messages.
>>
>> The time is happened to me, the QB splash screen
>> took forever to load up to the login page. Then
>> after log in, QB froze. Nothing else was frozen
>> and the computer was acting normally, except for
>> QB. The Task manager showed CPU, Drive, Memory,
>> all very little used. Even tried it with the
>> Anti Virus disabled.
>>
>> I have found nothing wrong with the operating
>> system. Even passed `sfc /scannow`.
>>
>> Erasing QB and reinstalling did not help.
>> And QB is on the latest service pack.
>>
>> How would you guys proceed troubleshooting this?
>
> I'd look in Event Viewer.

I did. Nothing. :'(

> Then I'd start Windows in its safe mode to
> eliminate all startup program to load QB in a cleaner environment.

QB won't run in safe mode. I tried.

> QB will freeze after login if the company file exceeds the maximum size.
> Pro & Premiere: 250 MB. Enterprise: 1.5 GB.

If you leave them alone, they will eventually load.
And it does load fine and run fine on the satellite
computer. So the file is okay.

I have seen customers with several Gig of company files
load. Oh they complained, but they did load, eventually.
The customers get into trouble when they get impatient.
(Yes, I told them to have their accountant archive/reduce
their file size.)

> I've also read there is a
> limit on vendor, employee, and customer records of 14,500. Also if the
> number of DB fragments of 15-19 as critical with 20+ as severe danger.

It would show on both computes.

> https://kb.coraltreetech.com/knowledge/woodard-supporting-clients-with-large-files
>
> Besides other suggestions, it mentions how to reduce the size of the QB
> file.

All the standard stuff is not shaking anything lose.
I even checked SMART. No mal or junkware. chkdsk
came up clean. Disabled the antivirus. (Both
computers have the same anti virus version.)
All the QB updates are installed.

Something is clobbering QB on the main computer.

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<ub26sn$afqd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73618&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73618

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 01:24:55 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 08:24 UTC

On 8/10/23 01:14, T wrote:
> On 8/9/23 22:17, VanguardLH wrote:
>> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> I am getting nowhere with QuickBooks (QB)
>>> tech support, so I thought I'd run it by
>>> you guys.  Their "doctor" program is useless.
>>> That is all they could come up with.
>>>
>>> Windows 10 pro 22H2
>>> QB desktop is 2023-R5P 64 bit
>>> Company file is 600MB
>>>
>>> Customer has two licenses.  The satellite computer,
>>> which is identical to the QuickBooks (QB)server,
>>> has no issues.  So nothing wrong with the company
>>> file or the networking.
>>>
>>> On the server computer, Quickbooks will freeze
>>> randomly in any window.  The customer uses the
>>> Task Manager to kill Quickbooks and starts
>>> over.  There are no error messages.
>>>
>>> The time is happened to me, the QB splash screen
>>> took forever to load up to the login page.  Then
>>> after log in, QB froze.   Nothing else was frozen
>>> and the computer was acting normally, except for
>>> QB.  The Task manager showed CPU, Drive, Memory,
>>> all very little used.  Even tried it with the
>>> Anti Virus disabled.
>>>
>>> I have found nothing wrong with the operating
>>> system.   Even passed `sfc /scannow`.
>>>
>>> Erasing QB and reinstalling did not help.
>>> And QB is on the latest service pack.
>>>
>>> How would you guys proceed troubleshooting this?
>>
>> I'd look in Event Viewer.
>
> I did.  Nothing. :'(
>
>> Then I'd start Windows in its safe mode to
>> eliminate all startup program to load QB in a cleaner environment.
>
> QB won't run in safe mode.  I tried.
>

>> QB will freeze after login if the company file exceeds the maximum size.
>> Pro & Premiere: 250 MB.  Enterprise: 1.5 GB.
>
> If you leave them alone, they will eventually load.
> And it does load fine and run fine on the satellite
> computer.  So the file is okay.
>
> I have seen customers with several Gig of company files
> load.  Oh they complained, but they did load, eventually.
> The customers get into trouble when they get impatient.
> (Yes, I told them to have their accountant archive/reduce
> their file size.)
>

>> I've also read there is a
>> limit on vendor, employee, and customer records of 14,500.  Also if the
>> number of DB fragments of 15-19 as critical with 20+ as severe danger.
>
> It would show on both computes.
>
>> https://kb.coraltreetech.com/knowledge/woodard-supporting-clients-with-large-files
>>
>> Besides other suggestions, it mentions how to reduce the size of the QB
>> file.
>

> All the standard stuff is not shaking anything lose.
> I even checked SMART.  No mal or junkware.  chkdsk
> came up clean.  Disabled the antivirus.  (Both
> computers have the same anti virus version.)
> All the QB updates are installed.
>
> Something is clobbering QB on the main computer.

It occurs to me that I should do a `ps` on both
computers and comparing what is not running
on the slave that is running on the master.
It could be something as stupid as print drivers
jamming QB when QB starts up and is reading the
print drivers for installed printers

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<1bypa1ct5b0ew.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73620&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73620

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:46:37 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 14:46 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 8/9/23 22:17, VanguardLH wrote:
>> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> I am getting nowhere with QuickBooks (QB)
>>> tech support, so I thought I'd run it by
>>> you guys. Their "doctor" program is useless.
>>> That is all they could come up with.
>>>
>>> Windows 10 pro 22H2
>>> QB desktop is 2023-R5P 64 bit
>>> Company file is 600MB
>>>
>>> Customer has two licenses. The satellite computer,
>>> which is identical to the QuickBooks (QB)server,
>>> has no issues. So nothing wrong with the company
>>> file or the networking.
>>>
>>> On the server computer, Quickbooks will freeze
>>> randomly in any window. The customer uses the
>>> Task Manager to kill Quickbooks and starts
>>> over. There are no error messages.
>>>
>>> The time is happened to me, the QB splash screen
>>> took forever to load up to the login page. Then
>>> after log in, QB froze. Nothing else was frozen
>>> and the computer was acting normally, except for
>>> QB. The Task manager showed CPU, Drive, Memory,
>>> all very little used. Even tried it with the
>>> Anti Virus disabled.
>>>
>>> I have found nothing wrong with the operating
>>> system. Even passed `sfc /scannow`.
>>>
>>> Erasing QB and reinstalling did not help.
>>> And QB is on the latest service pack.
>>>
>>> How would you guys proceed troubleshooting this?
>>
>> I'd look in Event Viewer.
>
> I did. Nothing. :'(
>
>> Then I'd start Windows in its safe mode to eliminate all startup
>> program to load QB in a cleaner environment.
>
> QB won't run in safe mode. I tried.

Did you include networking when choosing safe mode? I would think the
QB client would load even if the network were absent, but there would be
an error in not finding the company file across the network. Presumably
QB automatically reopens the last opened company file.

A trick to open QB without loading the company file is to press and hold
down the Ctrl key when loading QB. Keep the Ctrl key pressed until the
"No Company Open" prompt appears. Then use File -> Open to load the
company file. That way, you can determine if it is QB that is slow to
load, or it's the company file that is slow to open.

Did you log into a Windows account with admin privs when booting into
safe mode?

>> QB will freeze after login if the company file exceeds the maximum
>> size. Pro & Premiere: 250 MB. Enterprise: 1.5 GB.
>
> If you leave them alone, they will eventually load.
> And it does load fine and run fine on the satellite
> computer. So the file is okay.

As noted in the articles that I read about QB taking a long time to log
in, and QB behaving very slowly, has to do with the size of the company
file, not that it won't load.

> I have seen customers with several Gig of company files
> load. Oh they complained, but they did load, eventually.
> The customers get into trouble when they get impatient.
> (Yes, I told them to have their accountant archive/reduce
> their file size.)

What's the size of the problematic company file?
Is the customer running the Pro or Enterprise edition of QB?

What's the effective (measured) bandwidth between the QB server to
wherever the QB client is running?

>> I've also read there is a limit on vendor, employee, and customer
>> records of 14,500. Also if the number of DB fragments of 15-19 as
>> critical with 20+ as severe danger.
>
> It would show on both computes.

Identical hardware, OS version, and startup programs on both?

Do both hosts have the minimum hardware and software requirements as
noted for whatever version/edition you are running of QB?

> Something is clobbering QB on the main computer.

Hence why I mentioned safe mode. Articles I find say QB does run in
safe mode. That only loads essential drivers. Does QB have its own
drivers? If so, you may have to disable all startup programs, reboot
normally to allow all drivers to load, including any for QB, but none of
the startup programs run. Those are just the programs in the Startup
folder, not those under Logon Events. To see all locations where
programs may load on Windows startup, or on Windows login, use
SysInternals AutoRuns.

If QB has drivers to load on Windows startup or login, did you check
Device Mgr (devmgmt.msc) for any errors, like yellow exclamation marks
next to devices?

Is the "doctor" program you mentioned the "QuickBooks Install Diagnostic
Tool"? Did you try their Quickbooks Tool Hub?

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/login-password/fix-common-problems-errors-quickbooks-desktop-tool/L3Yab5gNN_US_en_US

Have you tried repairing the installation using the installer? Control
Panel (control.exe) -> Programs and Features -> select QuickBooks ->
repair option.

You said QB has the latest updates? When did it get the latest? If
that's when QB started failing to load, restore the QB files (or the
entire computer if nothing else would be lost that is critical in its
present state) back to the prior backup.

Did you check the Windows Firewall (or whatever one you're using) is not
blocking network traffic on QB?

Is the QBWUSER.ini file a text file? If so, with QB not running, rename
it. On startup, my guess is you'll have to reconfigure user parameters
in the program. If the .ini file is text, you can get info from the old
file as the new one is created and updated.

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<ub37g2$1ie84$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73621&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73621

From: wang.yu@invalid.invalid (Wang Yu)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 18:36:35 +0100
 by: Wang Yu - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 17:36 UTC

On 10/08/2023 05:47, T wrote:

> How would you guys proceed troubleshooting this?

Have you disabled fast startup? It works and it can fix all your
problems. Try it and let us know. You have been telling us this for over
5 years.

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<ub6pik$167t6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73632&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73632

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 19:08:20 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 02:08 UTC

On 8/10/23 07:46, VanguardLH wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> I'd look in Event Viewer.
>>
>> I did. Nothing. :'(
>>
>>> Then I'd start Windows in its safe mode to eliminate all startup
>>> program to load QB in a cleaner environment.
>>
>> QB won't run in safe mode. I tried.
>
> Did you include networking when choosing safe mode? I would think the
> QB client would load even if the network were absent, but there would be
> an error in not finding the company file across the network. Presumably
> QB automatically reopens the last opened company file.
>
> A trick to open QB without loading the company file is to press and hold
> down the Ctrl key when loading QB. Keep the Ctrl key pressed until the
> "No Company Open" prompt appears. Then use File -> Open to load the
> company file. That way, you can determine if it is QB that is slow to
> load, or it's the company file that is slow to open.
>
> Did you log into a Windows account with admin privs when booting into
> safe mode?
>
>>> QB will freeze after login if the company file exceeds the maximum
>>> size. Pro & Premiere: 250 MB. Enterprise: 1.5 GB.
>>
>> If you leave them alone, they will eventually load.
>> And it does load fine and run fine on the satellite
>> computer. So the file is okay.
>
> As noted in the articles that I read about QB taking a long time to log
> in, and QB behaving very slowly, has to do with the size of the company
> file, not that it won't load.
>
>> I have seen customers with several Gig of company files
>> load. Oh they complained, but they did load, eventually.
>> The customers get into trouble when they get impatient.
>> (Yes, I told them to have their accountant archive/reduce
>> their file size.)
>
> What's the size of the problematic company file?
> Is the customer running the Pro or Enterprise edition of QB?
>
> What's the effective (measured) bandwidth between the QB server to
> wherever the QB client is running?
>
>>> I've also read there is a limit on vendor, employee, and customer
>>> records of 14,500. Also if the number of DB fragments of 15-19 as
>>> critical with 20+ as severe danger.
>>
>> It would show on both computes.
>
> Identical hardware, OS version, and startup programs on both?
>
> Do both hosts have the minimum hardware and software requirements as
> noted for whatever version/edition you are running of QB?
>
>> Something is clobbering QB on the main computer.
>
> Hence why I mentioned safe mode. Articles I find say QB does run in
> safe mode. That only loads essential drivers. Does QB have its own
> drivers? If so, you may have to disable all startup programs, reboot
> normally to allow all drivers to load, including any for QB, but none of
> the startup programs run. Those are just the programs in the Startup
> folder, not those under Logon Events.

I just get a nasty note note being able to run in safe mode.

> To see all locations where
> programs may load on Windows startup, or on Windows login, use
> SysInternals AutoRuns.

LOVE AutoRuns. Use it all the time!

> If QB has drivers to load on Windows startup or login, did you check
> Device Mgr (devmgmt.msc) for any errors, like yellow exclamation marks
> next to devices?
>
> Is the "doctor" program you mentioned the "QuickBooks Install Diagnostic
> Tool"? Did you try their Quickbooks Tool Hub?

Ya, that is the one. In 28 years of doing this, I have
NEVER had the tool hub EVER fix anything. But,
I did jump through those hoops anyway, even though I
had little faith in it.

> https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/login-password/fix-common-problems-errors-quickbooks-desktop-tool/L3Yab5gNN_US_en_US
>
> Have you tried repairing the installation using the installer? Control
> Panel (control.exe) -> Programs and Features -> select QuickBooks ->
> repair option.

yes.

I also removed QB from appwiz, from the hard drive,
and every instance in the registry

> You said QB has the latest updates? When did it get the latest?

I got it from the update utility inside QB.

Also, when I reinstalled , I downloaded the installer with the latest
service already installed. (Get you around having to install bazillions
of service packs one after another and
having the stinker corrupts half way through the updates.)

> If
> that's when QB started failing to load, restore the QB files (or the
> entire computer if nothing else would be lost that is critical in its
> present state) back to the prior backup.
>
> Did you check the Windows Firewall (or whatever one you're using) is not
> blocking network traffic on QB?

The offending computer is the server, so it "shouldn't" affect it. But
I disabled the firewall anyway and also used
ESET's firewall "learning mode", which is a really, really slick
utility. QB is so poorly written that they could be
using a network drive on the local computer. I have seen that before.

> Is the QBWUSER.ini file a text file?

Yup, did that. Deleted it several times when QB was
both removed and/or not running.

> If so, with QB not running, rename
> it. On startup, my guess is you'll have to reconfigure user parameters
> in the program. If the .ini file is text, you can get info from the old
> file as the new one is created and updated.

The tip off when this is randomly doing to happen
is when the green qb splash screen comes up and takes
forever to go away. Killing QB and restarting and everything goes well.

I have yet to do that PS and compare between the
two computers. Had not had enough time with having
to talk people through their strobe light flashing
screens. I posted a fix over on the W11 group.

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<18wuqs6cli05y$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73633&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73633

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 21:30:10 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 02:30 UTC

What about the trick mentioned where you load QB *without* reloading the
company file that was opened the last time. See if QB will load by
itself. If that works, then have QB load the company file.

The idea is to check if it is a problem with QB loading, or when QB
tries to open the company file.

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<ub704a$16v01$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73635&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73635

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 21:00:10 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 04:00 UTC

On 8/11/23 19:30, VanguardLH wrote:
> What about the trick mentioned where you load QB *without* reloading the
> company file that was opened the last time. See if QB will load by
> itself. If that works, then have QB load the company file.

I use that all the time to determine if the
company file is responsible. I did try it here,
several times.

But the issue is that this is random. It
may work fine five times and poop out on
the fifth.

And I can not find anything wrong with the OS. I am hoping
that the PS comparison solves the issue.

> The idea is to check if it is a problem with QB loading, or when QB
> tries to open the company file.

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<uc9h68$3t5vl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73765&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73765

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 23:19:51 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 06:19 UTC

On 8/9/23 21:47, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am getting nowhere with QuickBooks (QB)
> tech support, so I thought I'd run it by
> you guys.  Their "doctor" program is useless.
> That is all they could come up with.
>
> Windows 10 pro 22H2
> QB desktop is 2023-R5P 64 bit
> Company file is 600MB
>

> Customer has two licenses.  The satellite computer,
> which is identical to the QuickBooks (QB)server,
> has no issues.  So nothing wrong with the company
> file or the networking.
>
> On the server computer, Quickbooks will freeze
> randomly in any window.  The customer uses the
> Task Manager to kill Quickbooks and starts
> over.  There are no error messages.
>
> The time is happened to me, the QB splash screen
> took forever to load up to the login page.  Then
> after log in, QB froze.   Nothing else was frozen
> and the computer was acting normally, except for
> QB.  The Task manager showed CPU, Drive, Memory,
> all very little used.  Even tried it with the
> Anti Virus disabled.
>
> I have found nothing wrong with the operating
> system.   Even passed `sfc /scannow`.
>
> Erasing QB and reinstalling did not help.
> And QB is on the latest service pack.
>
> How would you guys proceed troubleshooting this?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> -T
Follow up.

Hi Guys,
It about killed me, but I finally fixed it.
I compared all the running processes on the
server against the satellite. I found about
seven that should not be running on the server
and removed them. Then I ran Intel’s driver
update utility and it updated the video
driver. Then I ran SUMo and updated every
last program.
Customer wrote me very pleased.
So basically, something or somethings interacted
with QuickBooks and cause QB to freeze. It is
probably a bug in QB as no other program
experienced an issue. But locating the bug is
almost impossible to do. So I am just glad QB
is now running and not crashing.
Thank you for all the help,
-T

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<4eug1ie6xj7k$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73770&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73770

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 12:55:03 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 17:55 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 8/9/23 21:47, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am getting nowhere with QuickBooks (QB)
>> tech support, so I thought I'd run it by
>> you guys.  Their "doctor" program is useless.
>> That is all they could come up with.
>>
>> Windows 10 pro 22H2
>> QB desktop is 2023-R5P 64 bit
>> Company file is 600MB
>>
>> Customer has two licenses.  The satellite computer,
>> which is identical to the QuickBooks (QB)server,
>> has no issues.  So nothing wrong with the company
>> file or the networking.
>>
>> On the server computer, Quickbooks will freeze
>> randomly in any window.  The customer uses the
>> Task Manager to kill Quickbooks and starts
>> over.  There are no error messages.
>>
>> The time is happened to me, the QB splash screen
>> took forever to load up to the login page.  Then
>> after log in, QB froze.   Nothing else was frozen
>> and the computer was acting normally, except for
>> QB.  The Task manager showed CPU, Drive, Memory,
>> all very little used.  Even tried it with the
>> Anti Virus disabled.
>>
>> I have found nothing wrong with the operating
>> system.   Even passed `sfc /scannow`.
>>
>> Erasing QB and reinstalling did not help.
>> And QB is on the latest service pack.
>>
>> How would you guys proceed troubleshooting this?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> -T
>
> Follow up.
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> It about killed me, but I finally fixed it.
>
> I compared all the running processes on the
> server against the satellite. I found about
> seven that should not be running on the server
> and removed them. Then I ran Intel’s driver
> update utility and it updated the video
> driver. Then I ran SUMo and updated every
> last program.
>
> Customer wrote me very pleased.
>
> So basically, something or somethings interacted
> with QuickBooks and cause QB to freeze. It is
> probably a bug in QB as no other program
> experienced an issue. But locating the bug is
> almost impossible to do. So I am just glad QB
> is now running and not crashing.
>
> Thank you for all the help,
> -T

Safe mode, as suggested, didn't [temporarily] get rid of the superfluous
processes?

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<ucav5k$5ohm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73772&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73772

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 12:24:36 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 19:24 UTC

On 8/25/23 10:55, VanguardLH wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 8/9/23 21:47, T wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am getting nowhere with QuickBooks (QB)
>>> tech support, so I thought I'd run it by
>>> you guys.  Their "doctor" program is useless.
>>> That is all they could come up with.
>>>
>>> Windows 10 pro 22H2
>>> QB desktop is 2023-R5P 64 bit
>>> Company file is 600MB
>>>
>>> Customer has two licenses.  The satellite computer,
>>> which is identical to the QuickBooks (QB)server,
>>> has no issues.  So nothing wrong with the company
>>> file or the networking.
>>>
>>> On the server computer, Quickbooks will freeze
>>> randomly in any window.  The customer uses the
>>> Task Manager to kill Quickbooks and starts
>>> over.  There are no error messages.
>>>
>>> The time is happened to me, the QB splash screen
>>> took forever to load up to the login page.  Then
>>> after log in, QB froze.   Nothing else was frozen
>>> and the computer was acting normally, except for
>>> QB.  The Task manager showed CPU, Drive, Memory,
>>> all very little used.  Even tried it with the
>>> Anti Virus disabled.
>>>
>>> I have found nothing wrong with the operating
>>> system.   Even passed `sfc /scannow`.
>>>
>>> Erasing QB and reinstalling did not help.
>>> And QB is on the latest service pack.
>>>
>>> How would you guys proceed troubleshooting this?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> -T
>>
>> Follow up.
>>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> It about killed me, but I finally fixed it.
>>
>> I compared all the running processes on the
>> server against the satellite. I found about
>> seven that should not be running on the server
>> and removed them. Then I ran Intel’s driver
>> update utility and it updated the video
>> driver. Then I ran SUMo and updated every
>> last program.
>>
>> Customer wrote me very pleased.
>>
>> So basically, something or somethings interacted
>> with QuickBooks and cause QB to freeze. It is
>> probably a bug in QB as no other program
>> experienced an issue. But locating the bug is
>> almost impossible to do. So I am just glad QB
>> is now running and not crashing.
>>
>> Thank you for all the help,
>> -T
>
> Safe mode, as suggested, didn't [temporarily] get rid of the superfluous
> processes?
QB, despite what I was told about safe mode, would
not run in safe mode.
Interesting, one of the processes was a program
from Samsung's migration utility. I'd apparently
used it years ago to upgrade a drive. It was
still running. But it was not in AutoRuns or
Programs and Features. Apparently, I had thought
I'd removed it in the past. When I went to the
file on the drive, both with the File Manager and
the Admin command line, it would not let me remove
it due to a file lock somewhere it did not state.
So I used Task Manager to kill the process and
"magically" both the file and the directory it
resided in disappeared. That was a new one
on me!

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<kkuphlFal0aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73787&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73787

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 09:02:43 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 17:02 UTC

T wrote:
> On 8/25/23 10:55, VanguardLH wrote:
>> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Follow up.
>>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> It about killed me, but I finally fixed it.
>>>
>>> I compared all the running processes on the
>>> server against the satellite. I found about
>>> seven that should not be running on the server
>>> and removed them. Then I ran Intel's driver
>>> update utility and it updated the video
>>> driver. Then I ran SUMo and updated every
>>> last program.
>>>
>>> Customer wrote me very pleased.
>>>
>>> So basically, something or somethings interacted
>>> with QuickBooks and cause QB to freeze. It is
>>> probably a bug in QB as no other program
>>> experienced an issue. But locating the bug is
>>> almost impossible to do. So I am just glad QB
>>> is now running and not crashing.
>>>
>>> Thank you for all the help,
>>> -T
>>
>> Safe mode, as suggested, didn't [temporarily] get rid of the
>> superfluous processes?
>
> QB, despite what I was told about safe mode, would
> not run in safe mode.
>
> Interesting, one of the processes was a program
> from Samsung's migration utility. I'd apparently
> used it years ago to upgrade a drive. It was
> still running. But it was not in AutoRuns or
> Programs and Features. Apparently, I had thought
> I'd removed it in the past. When I went to the
> file on the drive, both with the File Manager and
> the Admin command line, it would not let me remove
> it due to a file lock somewhere it did not state.
> So I used Task Manager to kill the process and
> "magically" both the file and the directory it
> resided in disappeared. That was a new one
> on me!

I came across this in some of todays computer news:

For three days, system administrators have been troubleshooting errors that
have prevented Windows users from running applications such as QuickBooks
and Avatax. We now know the cause: an unannounced move or glitch by
Microsoft that removed a once-widely used digital certificate in Windows.
The removed credential is known as a root certificate, meaning it anchors
the trust of hundreds or thousands of intermediate and individual
certificates downstream. The root certificate-with the serial number
18dad19e267de8bb4a2158cdcc6b3b4a and the SHA1 fingerprint
4EB6D578499B1CCF5F581EAD56BE3D9B6744A5E5-was no longer trusted in Windows.
Because that root was tied to certificates that certify their authenticity
and trust, people trying to use or install the app received the error.

Just minutes before this post was scheduled to go live, researchers learned
that the certificate had been restored in Windows. It's unclear how or why
that occurred. The certificate immediately below this paragraph shows the
certificate's status on Thursday. The one below that shows the status as of
Friday.

There is more to the article. I have no URL for it. Maybe you can find it.

--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<kkupqbFam90U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73788&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73788

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 09:07:21 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 17:07 UTC

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> T wrote:

> I came across this in some of todays computer news:
>
> For three days, system administrators have been troubleshooting
> errors that have prevented Windows users from running applications
> such as QuickBooks and Avatax. We now know the cause: an unannounced
> move or glitch by Microsoft that removed a once-widely used digital
> certificate in Windows. The removed credential is known as a root
> certificate, meaning it anchors the trust of hundreds or thousands of
> intermediate and individual certificates downstream. The root
> certificate-with the serial number 18dad19e267de8bb4a2158cdcc6b3b4a
> and the SHA1 fingerprint 4EB6D578499B1CCF5F581EAD56BE3D9B6744A5E5-was
> no longer trusted in Windows. Because that root was tied to
> certificates that certify their authenticity and trust, people trying
> to use or install the app received the error.
> Just minutes before this post was scheduled to go live, researchers
> learned that the certificate had been restored in Windows. It's
> unclear how or why that occurred. The certificate immediately below
> this paragraph shows the certificate's status on Thursday. The one
> below that shows the status as of Friday.
>
> There is more to the article. I have no URL for it. Maybe you can
> find it.

Try this:

https://arstechnica.com/?p=1963549#rssowlmlink

<Bill>

Re: QuickBooks freeze ups

<kkuptsFamseU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73789&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73789

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 09:09:14 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 17:09 UTC