"We live, in a very kooky time." -- Herb Blashtfalt

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / OT - Bob's last ride!

SubjectAuthor
* OT - Bob's last ride!David Brooks
`* OT - Bob's last ride!T i m
 +* OT - Bob's last ride!David Brooks
 |+- OT - Bob's last ride!T i m
 |`* OT - Bob's last ride!T i m
 | `- OT - Bob's last ride!Joerg Walther
 `* OT - Bob's last ride!Kelly Phillips
  `- OT - Bob's last ride!T i m

1
OT - Bob's last ride!

<LK%BM.593038$TPw2.180882@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73642&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73642

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: David.B@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Subject: OT - Bob's last ride!
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 08:37:15 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 07:37 UTC

What a way to go! :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0lf4hIQOJg

Great music too!

--
Enjoy your day!
It may be your last! ;-)

Re: OT - Bob's last ride!

<kjrjklFjdftU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73643&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73643

From: individual@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: OT - Bob's last ride!
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:47:16 +0100
 by: T i m - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 08:47 UTC

On 13/08/2023 08:37, David Brooks wrote:
> What a way to go!  :-D

Did 'they' know how they were going?

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0lf4hIQOJg

I have never seen the fascination re how we deal with the leftover husk
of human beings and a very select subset of animal species (typically
some of those we arbitrarily label as 'pets')?

And look at all the extra pollution generated using a 500hp rig to
deliver a 100kg load?

Surely the 'person' ceases to exist when they die so I'm not sure why
you need their remains involved if you feel the need to 'let go' or this
'pay your respects' thing people talk of?

How much of it is habit, further pushed by the funeral businesses when
the next_of_kin are often at their most vulnerable?

Imagine you weren't aware of what you are 'supposed' to do when someone
you know / like / love dies (and you become responsible for), what would
you do? How easy would it for you to do what you / they wanted, rather
that what is typically done (in your culture)?

And if you actually cared about the environment (and we all should be if
we don't want even more unnecessary deaths), wouldn't a 'sky burial' be
better?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

Especially for all those who think us breeding, and killing animals is
part of any 'circle of life'?

> Great music too!

Highly subjective opinion of course. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Re: OT - Bob's last ride!

<B21CM.593041$TPw2.364955@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73644&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73644

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: David.B@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 10:06:41 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:06 UTC

On 13/08/2023 09:47, T i m wrote:
> On 13/08/2023 08:37, David Brooks wrote:
>> What a way to go!  :-D
>
> Did 'they' know how they were going?
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0lf4hIQOJg
>
> I have never seen the fascination re how we deal with the leftover husk
> of human beings and a very select subset of animal species (typically
> some of those we arbitrarily label as 'pets')?
>
> And look at all the extra pollution generated using a 500hp rig to
> deliver a 100kg load?
>
> Surely the 'person' ceases to exist when they die so I'm not sure why
> you need their remains involved if you feel the need to 'let go' or this
> 'pay your respects' thing people talk of?
>
> How much of it is habit, further pushed by the funeral businesses when
> the next_of_kin are often at their most vulnerable?
>
> Imagine you weren't aware of what you are 'supposed' to do when someone
> you know / like / love dies (and you become responsible for), what would
> you do? How easy would it for you to do what you / they wanted, rather
> that what is typically done (in your culture)?
>
> And if you actually cared about the environment (and we all should be if
> we don't want even more unnecessary deaths), wouldn't a 'sky burial' be
> better?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial
>
> Especially for all those who think us breeding, and killing animals is
> part of any 'circle of life'?
>

>> Great music too!
>>
> Highly subjective opinion of course. ;-)

Your post says a great deal about YOU, Tim! <rolls eyes>

Perhaps you'd rather go up in flames, like this?

Maui Wildfire - https://www.gofundme.com/f/5auw5q-maui-wildfire-relief-fund

Maybe you don't even know of Patrick Wardle, who lives there. I'm glad
he survived. https://objective-see.org/about.html

--
David

Re: OT - Bob's last ride!

<kjrotcFk9jbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73645&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73645

From: individual@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 11:17:15 +0100
 by: T i m - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 10:17 UTC

On 13/08/2023 10:06, David Brooks wrote:

<snip>
> Your post says a great deal about YOU, Tim! <rolls eyes>

That's good then, that means I'm putting myself across efficiently.

Hopefully it shows you I'm not just a follower, that I try to consider
everything I do and then do what feels right / sensible for me, for
society and for others and the environment, rather than just doing stuff
because that's what always has been done?

I call it having an 'open mind', and being a 'free thinker'?

Nothing worse in my view like having something as fantastic as a mind
and keeping it closed to new ideas?

> Perhaps you'd rather go up in flames,

When I'm gone I really CGAF how my corpse is disposed of and I certainly
wouldn't anyone to want to be there when that happens?

Cheers, T i m

Re: OT - Bob's last ride!

<vl1jdi1dkfc1rcvd9r8tn7m2ndgb6noqho@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73648&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73648

From: KFile@podcasts.org (Kelly Phillips)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 21:01:58 -0500
 by: Kelly Phillips - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 02:01 UTC

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:47:16 +0100, T i m <individual@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

>Surely the 'person' ceases to exist when they die so I'm not sure why
>you need their remains involved if you feel the need to 'let go' or this
>'pay your respects' thing people talk of?

I know of a Canadian dude who runs a popular Youtube channel. About a year ago,
he semi-jokingly suggested that dead people should be frozen solid, then a
vertical hole should be drilled in the dirt and the frozen body placed in it.
Fill it with dirt and plant a tree on top. The decaying body will fertilize the
tree. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Well, the backlash was swift and harsh, to the point where he took the video
down in just a few hours. I guess people are sensitive about what should happen
to Granny when she dies.

Re: OT - Bob's last ride!

<kju9fqF1ijaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73649&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73649

From: individual@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 10:12:26 +0100
 by: T i m - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 09:12 UTC

On 14/08/2023 03:01, Kelly Phillips wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:47:16 +0100, T i m <individual@spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Surely the 'person' ceases to exist when they die so I'm not sure why
>> you need their remains involved if you feel the need to 'let go' or this
>> 'pay your respects' thing people talk of?
>
> I know of a Canadian dude who runs a popular Youtube channel. About a year ago,
> he semi-jokingly suggested that dead people should be frozen solid, then a
> vertical hole should be drilled in the dirt and the frozen body placed in it.
> Fill it with dirt and plant a tree on top.

Excellent.

> The decaying body will fertilize the
> tree.

Yup.

> Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Yup. I think it's already fairly common for people to do similar with
the persons (or 'a persons' <weg>) ashes, so they have somewhere nominal
to go if they want to talk to the person / pet ... and as you say it may
add some nutrients.

> Well, the backlash was swift and harsh, to the point where he took the video
> down in just a few hours.

'Nowt as queer as folk' as they say here in some places.

> I guess people are sensitive about what should happen
> to Granny when she dies.

And I wonder how much of it is down to social / peer pressure?

When my Dad died our daughter went to the funeral place with my Mum and
sister to act as a moderator, in case they tried to 'up-sell' any of the
paraphernalia. I believe they did, a bit, recommending a body box with
'better' handles or some such. Knowing any of it was going to be burned
(single use) or left to rot in the ground would have not pleased Dad as
he was a good carpenter and kept offcuts of any decent timber to use on
smaller jobs etc.

I didn't go to my Dads funeral as I didn't need nor want my last
memories of him being in a box being lowered into a hole in the ground
or fed into a furnace.

It can be difficult trying to do what's right for you when all the
sheeple can only consider / do what all the other sheeple insist is what
we / they / you should do, but if you communicate your position clearly
and DGAF what the other sheeple think / say ... ;-)

My Dad 'went' the moment he had a heart attack half way though his
pudding at home and even though we are only round the corner, the
paramedics had finished by the time we got there. Again, my Mrs went and
kissed him goodbye while he was laying on the floor in the lounge, I
didn't need that memory locked in my head for ever.

And I still refer to any things like tools as being Dads, (even though
they are now considered mine) because he bought them and I've only got
them because he won't be using them any more.

Cheers, T i m

Re: OT - Bob's last ride!

<kjuejqF2snlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73650&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73650

From: individual@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:39:54 +0100
 by: T i m - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 10:39 UTC

On 13/08/2023 10:06, David Brooks wrote:

<snip>

> Perhaps you'd rather go up in flames, like this?
>
> Maui Wildfire - https://www.gofundme.com/f/5auw5q-maui-wildfire-relief-fund

I was watching some of that on the news and of course it's terrible.

However, let's say this climate crisis is man made (and would it matter
if it wasn't, we still should be doing all we can to mitigate it), do
you expect all 'men' (people) to be surprised / compassionate when
things that are predicted (and have been for 30+ years) then happen?

It's like the London ULEZ expansion scheme. Some people are panicking
*now* because it's going to come in at the end of the month but a
neighbour sold us his old non-compliant car two+ years ago because they
announced this is what is going to happen back then?

How much food is grown on Maui or how much needs to be shipped in from
outside. How much pollution is created by people travelling to visit the
place just for fun? Are all Maui residents crofters or vegan?

Do they live there because they were born there or because it's 'a nice
place to live', even though doing so doesn't have a particularly good
carbon footprint?

It seems as with many things 'man' get's involved in, the 'Big fire',
industry is just as bad as 'Big Oil', 'Big tobacco', and 'Big Animal Ag'
where they are making fortunes whilst putting peoples lives at risk. In
the case of 'Big fire' it's the investment in equipment to fight the
fires when they happen, rather than investing much less money in
preventing the fires in the first place, often in the winter by clearing
fire breaks and managing forests with that in mind, rather than pure profit.

> Maybe you don't even know of Patrick Wardle, who lives there.

I don't.

> I'm glad
> he survived. https://objective-see.org/about.html

I'm less bothered about the people, many of whom were party to bringing
this upon themselves (by their lifestyle choices, ecological inaction or
apathy re what their governments say they should spend their tax dollars
on) and often have options re escape, be it by road, sea or air. Not the
same offered to millions of *innocent* animals (wildlife, livestock and
pets) who have burned to death or worse, suffer bad burns with little
hope of any medical treatment.

"You reap what you sow" ... and “The only thing necessary for the
triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”.

Cheers, T i m

Re: OT - Bob's last ride!

<1c0qpil678m1ubpcgbfh4k3p7706of5892@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77499&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77499

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 09:20:46 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 08:20 UTC

Charlie Glock wrote:

>China India and other countries are not buying into the green energy scam

There is no scam, and China is leading into going green
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/29/china-wind-solar-power-global-renewable-energy-leader

-jw-