"There is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress." -- Mark Twain

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!

SubjectAuthor
* A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!MajorLanGod
`* A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!micky
 +* A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!Char Jackson
 |`- A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!micky
 `* A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!MajorLanGod
  `- A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!micky

1
A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!

<XnsB065A9204735Dlonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73711&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73711

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!
From: lonelydad58@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:37:33 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:37 UTC

I had stepped out on my patio to trim my claws - easier to cleam up out
there. I also spend a little time messing with my new portable AM/FM/SW
radio. When I came back in my screen was black, but I just thought it was
the screen timeout. So I jiggled my mouse expecting to just get my screen
back when lo and behold there was a Windows update going on! I'm going to
have to check my off-hours setting. But that's ot the miracle. After
everything finished I restarted Firefox. I normally have about eight
windows open because I use them at least once every day and it's just
easier to have them ready to go. The miracle is that they all lined up in
the sequence I had them in before the update. I have them line up with the
most used on the left, and decreasing to the right. Usually after an uodate
they come up in some random sequence and I have to go through the hassle of
closing and reopening windows to get them back into the sequence I want. I
suspect it is a Firefox thing rather than Windows, but the only time I
restart Windows is after on upgrade, so who knows. But I was so happy I
just had to share. :-)

Re: A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!

<lvd2eiho6d7se0o8bjnf42tfhef761m1ck@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73712&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73712

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 17:48:14 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:48 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:37:33 GMT, MajorLanGod
<lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:

>I had stepped out on my patio to trim my claws - easier to cleam up out
>there. I also spend a little time messing with my new portable AM/FM/SW
>radio. When I came back in my screen was black, but I just thought it was
>the screen timeout. So I jiggled my mouse expecting to just get my screen
>back when lo and behold there was a Windows update going on! I'm going to
>have to check my off-hours setting. But that's ot the miracle. After
>everything finished I restarted Firefox. I normally have about eight
>windows open because I use them at least once every day and it's just
>easier to have them ready to go. The miracle is that they all lined up in
>the sequence I had them in before the update.

I've noticed this too. I think at least 2 weeks ago, but it could be
months, more or less.

>I have them line up with the
>most used on the left, and decreasing to the right. Usually after an uodate
>they come up in some random sequence and I have to go through the hassle of
>closing and reopening windows to get them back into the sequence I want.

CAn't you just move them around by clicking and holding their rectangle
in the task bar, and moving it to where you want? Maybe this doesn't
work if you don't display each one as a separate rectangle.

>suspect it is a Firefox thing rather than Windows, but the only time I
>restart Windows is after on upgrade, so who knows. But I was so happy I
>just had to share. :-)

I'm glad you did. I too noticed by didn't have the vim to share it.

Re: A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!

<ifr2ei52u20pbitr74lm0qfbiml7dai3kl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73716&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73716

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 20:40:18 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 01:40 UTC

On Sat, 19 Aug 2023 17:48:14 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:37:33 GMT, MajorLanGod
><lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I had stepped out on my patio to trim my claws - easier to cleam up out
>>there. I also spend a little time messing with my new portable AM/FM/SW
>>radio. When I came back in my screen was black, but I just thought it was
>>the screen timeout. So I jiggled my mouse expecting to just get my screen
>>back when lo and behold there was a Windows update going on! I'm going to
>>have to check my off-hours setting. But that's ot the miracle. After
>>everything finished I restarted Firefox. I normally have about eight
>>windows open because I use them at least once every day and it's just
>>easier to have them ready to go. The miracle is that they all lined up in
>>the sequence I had them in before the update.
>
>I've noticed this too. I think at least 2 weeks ago, but it could be
>months, more or less.
>
>>I have them line up with the
>>most used on the left, and decreasing to the right. Usually after an uodate
>>they come up in some random sequence and I have to go through the hassle of
>>closing and reopening windows to get them back into the sequence I want.
>
>CAn't you just move them around by clicking and holding their rectangle
>in the task bar, and moving it to where you want?

You can only drag and reorder entire applications, relative to other
applications. If a single application has multiple windows, each with its own
taskbar icon, you can only move them as a group. You can't use dragging to
reorder the various icons that belong to the same application.

Re: A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!

<jfs2ei9bnnliho1r03p41ua6ou7cla8jg4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73717&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73717

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:58:38 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 01:58 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 19 Aug 2023 20:40:18 -0500, Char
Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Aug 2023 17:48:14 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:37:33 GMT, MajorLanGod
>><lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I had stepped out on my patio to trim my claws - easier to cleam up out
>>>there. I also spend a little time messing with my new portable AM/FM/SW
>>>radio. When I came back in my screen was black, but I just thought it was
>>>the screen timeout. So I jiggled my mouse expecting to just get my screen
>>>back when lo and behold there was a Windows update going on! I'm going to
>>>have to check my off-hours setting. But that's ot the miracle. After
>>>everything finished I restarted Firefox. I normally have about eight
>>>windows open because I use them at least once every day and it's just
>>>easier to have them ready to go. The miracle is that they all lined up in
>>>the sequence I had them in before the update.
>>
>>I've noticed this too. I think at least 2 weeks ago, but it could be
>>months, more or less.
>>
>>>I have them line up with the
>>>most used on the left, and decreasing to the right. Usually after an uodate
>>>they come up in some random sequence and I have to go through the hassle of
>>>closing and reopening windows to get them back into the sequence I want.
>>
>>CAn't you just move them around by clicking and holding their rectangle
>>in the task bar, and moving it to where you want?
>
>You can only drag and reorder entire applications, relative to other
>applications. If a single application has multiple windows, each with its own
>taskbar icon, you can only move them as a group. You can't use dragging to
>reorder the various icons that belong to the same application.

I guess I've never tried, but I'm not sure that's still true. I don't
have time right now to move them all around, if I even can, and then put
them back, but I have moved one or two by accident, and just now on
purpose, moved the last, and then the first of the FF rectangles to the
end of my list. But the tooltip didn't work for the first one so I
moved the second one to the end of the list. The supermarket is
closing and I have to go shopping, but I think now maybe FF windows can
be moved and even reordered.

Re: A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!

<XnsB06613A925B5Dlonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73718&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73718

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelydad58@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 06:55:58 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 06:55 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in

> CAn't you just move them around by clicking and holding their
> rectangle in the task bar, and moving it to where you want? Maybe
> this doesn't work if you don't display each one as a separate
> rectangle.

I haven't been able to figure out how to make that work. What I do is
delete the window, then go to history in another window and reload the
closed window. That puts it at the far ight on the task bar. It' a pain but
it does accomplish what I want

Re: A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!

<35g4eitoejemmqup24ipndm59qog4hau53@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73730&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73730

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 12:45:42 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 16:45 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 20 Aug 2023 06:55:58 GMT, MajorLanGod
<lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in
>

>> CAn't you just move them around by clicking and holding their
>> rectangle in the task bar, and moving it to where you want? Maybe
>> this doesn't work if you don't display each one as a separate
>> rectangle.
>>
>I haven't been able to figure out how to make that work. What I do is
>delete the window, then go to history in another window and reload the
>closed window. That puts it at the far ight on the task bar. It' a pain but
>it does accomplish what I want

Well, maybe it doesn't matter anymore if FF now keeps them in the same
order.

In addition, maybe I misundersand what you are using. I took it to mean
that in the task bar there are rectangles in a preferred order for
various FF windows. That it was their order in the task bar that you
care about. (The alt-tab order I don't think is what you mean because
it's based on which ones got used most recently.

In addition, I had some trouble getting my windows to display separately
and I had to use 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. Even then I had to set two
settings to do what I thought one should do** and even then sometimes,
maybe after a FF crash, it appears as only one rectangle, and doesn't go
back to several until??? I restart windows or FF, I forget which.

**I have set
xGrouping xDon't group xWhen not grouping place new items next to
existing ones
xCombining xDon't combine grouped buttons

Decombine, NOTHING is checked.
Left click in combined item, I left that at the default since
nothing should be combined anyhow.

Maybe this all affects if I can do this or not.

After all that, I just do it like reordering tabs in FF, I click and
hold a taskbar rectangle and drag it to where I want it, and when the
line between two rectangles changes color a little, I let go of the
mouse button.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: A minor (maybe kinda major) miracle!