All life evolves by the differential survival of replicating entities. -- Dawkins

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Android into Win10

SubjectAuthor
* Android into Win10Ed Cryer
+* Android into Win10John K.Eason
|`* Android into Win10Wally J
| `* Android into Win10Wally J
|  `- Android into Win10Ed Cryer
+* Android into Win10Big Al
|`- Android into Win10Wally J
+* Android into Win10Wally J
|`- Android into Win10Wally J
+* Android into Win10VanguardLH
|`* Android into Win10Ed Cryer
| +* Android into Win10Ed Cryer
| |`* Android into Win10Paul
| | `* Android into Win10Neil
| |  `* Android into Win10Big Al
| |   `- Android into Win10Wally J
| +- Android into Win10Frank Slootweg
| `- Android into Win10Patrick
`* Android into Win10Paul
 `* Android into Win10Ed Cryer
  +* Android into Win10Wally J
  |`* Android into Win10Ed Cryer
  | `* Android into Win10Wally J
  |  +* Android into Win10Ed Cryer
  |  |`- Android into Win10John Hall
  |  `- Android into Win10Alan
  `* Android into Win10Ed Cryer
   +- Android into Win10Carlos E. R.
   +* Android into Win10Frank Slootweg
   |`* Android into Win10Carlos E. R.
   | +- Android into Win10Fox McCloud45
   | `* Android into Win10Frank Slootweg
   |  `* Android into Win10Carlos E. R.
   |   +- Android into Win10Reel
   |   `* Android into Win10Frank Slootweg
   |    `* Android into Win10Carlos E. R.
   |     `* Android into Win10Frank Slootweg
   |      +- Android into Win10Carlos E. R.
   |      `* Android into Win10Paul
   |       `- Android into Win10Carlos E. R.
   `* Android into Win10VanguardLH
    `* Android into Win10Ed Cryer
     +* Android into Win10VanguardLH
     |`* Android into Win10Ed Cryer
     | +* Android into Win10VanguardLH
     | |`- Android into Win10Ed Cryer
     | `* Android into Win10Frank Slootweg
     |  `- Android into Win10Ed Cryer
     `* Android into Win10Frank Slootweg
      `- Android into Win10Paul

Pages:12
Android into Win10

<ud53tj$1iclj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73972&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73972

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Android into Win10
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:24:38 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 17:24 UTC

I took a lengthy video on my phone yesterday, the first day of the Tour
of Britain cycling race. The minutes prior to the peloton arriving were
quite spectacular. A host of 20/30 motorcycle cops race up in an almost
military troop, cut off all traffic left and right, set up blocks
everywhere. And then the cyclists appear, cheered by all the people
who've rushed out of their homes to find out what all that brigade of
motorcycle cops is doing.

Well, to the point.
I plug the phone by USB cable into my Win10 computer, the phone sings a
little song, the computer shows no sign of it.
I plug it into a TV, same little song from the phone, not recognised by
the TV's media function.

I can't find what app is playing the recognition tune on the phone.

Help please.

Ed

Re: Android into Win10

<memo.20230904191027.4816A@jeason.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73973&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73973

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason)
Subject: Re: Android into Win10
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 19:10 +0100 (BST)
 by: John K.Eason - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:10 UTC

In article <ud53tj$1iclj$1@dont-email.me>, ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer) wrote:

> *From:* Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk>
> *Date:* Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:24:38 +0100
>
> I took a lengthy video on my phone yesterday, the first day of the
> Tour of Britain cycling race. The minutes prior to the peloton
> arriving were quite spectacular. A host of 20/30 motorcycle cops
> race up in an almost military troop, cut off all traffic left and
> right, set up blocks everywhere. And then the cyclists appear,
> cheered by all the people who've rushed out of their homes to find
> out what all that brigade of motorcycle cops is doing.
>
> Well, to the point.
> I plug the phone by USB cable into my Win10 computer, the phone
> sings a little song, the computer shows no sign of it.
> I plug it into a TV, same little song from the phone, not
> recognised by the TV's media function.
>
> I can't find what app is playing the recognition tune on the phone.
>
> Help please.

Ask in an Android newsgroup?

--
Regards
John

Re: Android into Win10

<ud57s2$1j45g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73974&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73974

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 14:32:33 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:32 UTC

On 9/4/23 13:24, this is what Ed Cryer wrote:
> I took a lengthy video on my phone yesterday, the first day of the Tour of Britain cycling race. The minutes prior to
> the peloton arriving were quite spectacular. A host of 20/30 motorcycle cops race up in an almost military troop, cut
> off all traffic left and right, set up blocks everywhere. And then the cyclists appear, cheered by all the people who've
> rushed out of their homes to find out what all that brigade of motorcycle cops is doing.
>
> Well, to the point.
> I plug the phone by USB cable into my Win10 computer, the phone sings a little song, the computer shows no sign of it.
> I plug it into a TV, same little song from the phone, not recognised by the TV's media function.
>
> I can't find what app is playing the recognition tune on the phone.
>
> Help please.
>
> Ed

There should be a prompt on the phone so you can change the usb to 'charge' or 'data' or some wording like that.
You may have it covered by some app.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Android into Win10

<ud5iul$16io1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73976&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73976

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 17:42:51 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 21:42 UTC

Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote

> I took a lengthy video on my phone yesterday, the first day of the Tour
> of Britain cycling race. The minutes prior to the peloton arriving were
> quite spectacular. A host of 20/30 motorcycle cops race up in an almost
> military troop, cut off all traffic left and right, set up blocks
> everywhere. And then the cyclists appear, cheered by all the people
> who've rushed out of their homes to find out what all that brigade of
> motorcycle cops is doing.
>
> Well, to the point.
> I plug the phone by USB cable into my Win10 computer, the phone sings a
> little song, the computer shows no sign of it.
> I plug it into a TV, same little song from the phone, not recognised by
> the TV's media function.
>
> I can't find what app is playing the recognition tune on the phone.
>
> Help please.
>
> Ed

There isn't an Android-to-PC connection method ever suggested on these
newsgroups that I haven't personally tested - so beware of details below.

1. You can connect the Android phone to Windows 10 by Bluetooth,
by Wi-Fi (over the LAN or by ad hoc Wi-Fi) or by USB cable.

Most people just plug the phone into Windows (just like any other
USB device) and Windows automatically installs the driver for it.
*Install OEM USB drivers*
<https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb>

If the correct driver isn't installed, every manufacturer provides it.
Acer -> https://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
Alcatel -> https://www.alcatelmobile.com/support/
Asus -> https://www.asus.com/support/Download-Center/
Blackberry -> https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=4EE0932F46276313B51570F46266A608
Dell -> https://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml
FCNT -> https://www.fcnt.com/support/develop/#anc-03
HTC -> https://www.htc.com/support
Huawei -> https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/index.htm
Intel -> https://www.intel.com/software/android
Kyocera -> https://kyoceramobile.com/support/drivers/
Lenovo -> https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/GlobalProductSelector
LGE -> https://www.lg.com/us/support/software-firmware
Motorola -> https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481/
MTK -> http://online.mediatek.com/Public%20Documents/MTK_Android_USB_Driver.zip
Samsung -> https://developer.samsung.com/galaxy/others/android-usb-driver-for-windows
Sharp -> http://k-tai.sharp.co.jp/support/
Sony -> https://developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/drivers/
Toshiba -> https://support.toshiba.com/sscontent?docId=4001814
Xiaomi -> https://web.vip.miui.com/page/info/mio/mio/detail?postId=18464849&app_version=dev.20051
ZTE -> http://support.zte.com.cn/support/news/NewsDetail.aspx?newsId=1000442

2. Either way (BT, Wi-Fi or USB) there are a multitude of connection tools
all of which I've personally used - and all of which have been discussed
(ad infintum) on both these Android and the Windows Usenet newsgroups.
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows>
<https://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10>
Offhand, some of the Android/Windows file-sharing solutions discussed have been
AirDroid <https://www.airdroid.com/personal/>
ADB <https://developer.android.com/tools/adb>
AFT MTP client <https://whoozle.github.io/android-file-transfer-linux/>
DirectNetDrive <http://www.directnet-drive.net/>
FTPUse <https://www.ferrobackup.com/download/FtpUseInst.exe>
Fb-adb Android Linux shell <https://github.com/facebook/fb-adb>
Ftpuse <https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html>
Go-mtpfs MTP FUSE filesystem <https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs>
Gphotofs Camera Linux mount <http://www.gphoto.org/proj/gphotofs/>
JMTP FS <https://github.com/JasonFerrara/jmtpfs>
KDEconnect <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kde.kdeconnect>
Kies Connect <https://www.samsung.com/africa_en/support/kies/>
LibIconv <http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libiconv.htm>
LibMTP <https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs>
LibMTP <https://sourceforge.net/projects/libmtp/>
LibMTP library MTP implementation <http://libmtp.sourceforge.net>
LibUSB Win32 <http://libusb-win32.sourceforge.net/>
LibUsbK <https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/>
LibiConv <http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libiconv.htm>
MTP support on KDE <https://cgit.kde.org/kio-mtp.git>
MTPDrive <http://mtpdrive.com/download.html>
MTPSync <https://www.adebenham.com/mtpsync/>
MTPdude <http://mtpdude.sourceforge.net>
MTPfs FUSE filesystem <https://www.adebenham.com/mtpfs/>
NetDrive 1.3.2.0 <https://filehippo.com/download_netdrive/12615/>
NetDrive 3.6.571 <http://netdrive.net/ (deprecated)
Nitroshare <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.nitroshare.android>
PhoneLink <https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083910/>
SFTP Net Drive <https://www.nsoftware.com/sftp/netdrive/>
SideSync <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sidesync.freeapp>
SMB Cifs (client) X-Plore <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore>
SMB Cifs (root) <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imperioustech.www.sambaserver>
Scrcpy/sndcpy <https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy>
Termux copy <https://github.com/termux>
WebDav <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>
WebDrive <https://webdrive.com/download/>
XNJB Mac OS X GUI <http://www.wentnet.com/projects/xnjb/>
(this is mostly offhand so I likely missed as many as I listed)

Personally, for myself, I'd mount the entire Android filesystem onto
Windows as a read/write Windows drive letter over Wi-Fi using WebDav.

Or, if I'm running commands from Windows to disable, install or
otherwise manipulate applications, I use adb over Wi-Fi or USB.

If I'm already using adb, then I may as well use screencopy and
soundcopy to do _all_ the Android manipulations from the PC alone.

But most people just plug the Android phone into Windows to drag and
drop any file in the user partition between the devices using that PC.

3. Of those, plenty are ad hoc Wi-Fi & USB file-sharing solutions.
Kies Connect <https://www.samsung.com/africa_en/support/kies/>
Nitroshare <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.nitroshare.android>
KDEconnect <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kde.kdeconnect>
FTPUse <https://www.ferrobackup.com/download/FtpUseInst.exe>

I've used every single one of them, and my suggestion is NitroShare
because of its simplicity but all of them work in different ways.

4. You can set up Android to act differently whenever you connect to USB
Android12 Settings > Developer options > Default USB configuration
(o) Transferring files <---- AFAIK, this is the default
(_) USB tethering
(_) MIDI
(_) Transferring images
(_) Charging phone only
I wouldn't change this from the default of "Transferring files).

5. Of course, you can do everything using just adb (on Wi-Fi or USB).

Figure out the name of it.
C:\> adb shell pm list packages | findStr /i "osmand"
C:\> adb shell pm list packages <--- list all packages on the device
C:\> adb shell pm list packages -f -3 <--- list third-party packages
C:\> adb shell pm list packages <--- list only the disabled packages
C:\> adb shell pm list packages -s <--- list only the system packages
C:\> adb shell pm list packages -u <--- list only uninstalled packages
C:\> adb shell dumpsys package packages <--- list package information
C:\> adb shell pm dump net.osmand.plus <--- list info on a package

Find out the full path to it.
C:\> adb shell pm path net.osmand.plus

Copy the installer (which is always saved on Android!) to Windows.
C:\> adb pull /data/app/long-nasty-path-net.osmand.plus/osmand-base.apk

With this method you can copy all the APKs over in one robocopy command.
C:\> adb shell dumpsys package packages | findStr /i ".apk$"
The result is every app ever installed gets a Windows backup of its APK.

Stop it.
C:\> adb shell am force-stop net.osmand.plus

Disable it.
C:\> adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 net.osmand.plus

Remove it.
C:\> adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 net.osmand.plus

Note if adb can see it, then adb can copy it over to Windows.
C:\> adb pull "/data/data/com.pkg.test/files/" .

Even if you're not rooted (most people aren't) you can copy your
Windows HOSTS file to Android if you know a few of the tricks.
<https://superuser.com/questions/938751/i-am-trying-to-push-the-file-using-adb-to-my-android-device>

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Android into Win10

<ud5k0r$16jsn$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73977&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73977

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:01:05 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 22:01 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote

>> I plug the phone by USB cable into my Win10 computer, the phone sings a
>> little song, the computer shows no sign of it.
>
> There isn't an Android-to-PC connection method ever suggested on these
> newsgroups that I haven't personally tested - so beware of details below.

Oooops........

In my zeal to be of help to a fellow Usenet poster asking a question, I had
belatedly realized I was only responding to "the computer shows no sign of it"
where I ended up going into a long-winded VanguardLH-like detail over that topic.

>> I can't find what app is playing the recognition tune on the phone.

I would think your built-in Android app drawer (mine is activated by pressing
the middle button on the bottom of my homescreen) would show you the app playing.

I can get my built-in Android 12 app drawer function by pressing the middle
button (the round circle) on the bottom of my homescreen - which pops up
a. Frequent apps
b. Recent apps
c. New/Updated apps
Where I'd think the app playing the song should show up in the "Recent apps".

Another obvious way to get a list of all the apps your Android phone has
recently run is to go to Settings > Apps > Your apps

On my Android 12 Galaxy, next to "Your apps" is a hamburger with the options
Show system apps = (on/off) <--- off by default
Filter by (o)All (_)Enabled (_)Disabled <--- All by default
Sort by (o)Name (_)Size (_)Last used (_)Last updated <--- Name by default
I would think switching that option to "Last used" should tell you the app.

However, one not entirely foolproof way to find an app that is "doing something"
is to look at your Android notification history (which may tell you the app).
Settings -> Notifications -> Advanced settings -> Notification history

Since that's such a useful command, and since it's buried four steps down
into my Android 12 Settings, I bring it up to the top on the homescreen.

This puts a one-tap shortcut to that location in your dock shortcuts folder.
1. Optionally put a convenient folder for "shortcuts" in your dock
2. Install the free ad-free Shortcut Inspector (which finds activity names)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cemique.shortcutwidgets>
3. Install the free ad-free Shortcut Maker (which opens public activities)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rk.android.app.shortcutmaker>
4. Start Shortcut Inspector & go back to the Settings on your homescreen
5. Settings -> Notifications -> Advanced settings -> Notification history
7. Name=com.android.settings.notification.history.NotificationHistoryActivity
8. Start Shortcut Maker & tap Activities & tap Settings & find that activity
9. Modify the shortcut name & icon (as desired) & press "Create Shortcut"
10. That adds a shorcut on your homescreen direct to your notification history

Be aware there are other free ad-free shortcut-maker apps to do the same things
but they're a bit harder to use. Here's one example where I'll show how to use it.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alextern.shortcuthelper>
ShortcutCreator -> Application -> Settings (337 Public Activities)

Notice that you can stop at step 6 to unambiguously find not only the app
that was playing the song - but the EXACT page inside that app running it.

I'm sure if I think about it for another minute I can double the size of
these various suggestions - but one of them should work (I would hope).

Re: Android into Win10

<ud5ksr$16ksc$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73978&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73978

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:16:00 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 22:16 UTC

Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote

>> Well, to the point.
>> I plug the phone by USB cable into my Win10 computer, the phone sings a little song, the computer shows no sign of it.
>> I plug it into a TV, same little song from the phone, not recognised by the TV's media function.
>>
>> I can't find what app is playing the recognition tune on the phone.
>>
>> Help please.
>>
>> Ed
>>
> There should be a prompt on the phone so you can change the usb to 'charge' or 'data' or some wording like that.
> You may have it covered by some app.

We've had this discussion in the past on the Android newsgroup
where I'm sure we can find that topic covered in the archives.
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

From memory, the settings you speak of, AFAICR, used to be obvious
in the Android settings, but they have been hidden in newer releases.

On my Android 12 Galaxy, they are gone in the normal Settings.
They were moved to the "Developer options" settings instead.

Dunno why.

Android12 Settings > Developer options > Default USB configuration
(o) Transferring files <---- AFAIK, this is the default
(_) USB tethering
(_) MIDI
(_) Transferring images
(_) Charging phone only
I wouldn't change this from the default of "Transferring files).

Ed Cryer, the OP, seems to have two problems being asked confusingly.
1. His phone doesn't show up in Windows, and,
2. He doesn't know what's playing his songs on Android

I provided two long-winded (Vanguard-like) responses to both of those.

In a shorter version, since I'm a nice guy (like Paul is) who cares
very much that people get the answers they need - I'd recommend...

For the first problem, I'd install/re-install the OEM drivers.
For the second problem, I'd search the "Recent apps" in the app drawer.

Until the OP does those two most basic of debugging steps, I really
shouldn't have gone into all the (Vanguard-like) detail that I did.

Mostly I had added all that detail to edify everyone else, since
I've tested every solution ever mentioned on these two newsgroups,
and hence I can save thousands of people a lot of valuable time.

Re: Android into Win10

<ud5lrk$16luv$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73979&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73979

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:32:26 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 22:32 UTC

"John K.Eason" <john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk> wrote

> In article <ud53tj$1iclj$1@dont-email.me>, ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer) wrote:
>
>> *From:* Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk>
>> *Date:* Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:24:38 +0100
>>
>> I took a lengthy video on my phone yesterday, the first day of the
>> Tour of Britain cycling race. The minutes prior to the peloton
>> arriving were quite spectacular. A host of 20/30 motorcycle cops
>> race up in an almost military troop, cut off all traffic left and
>> right, set up blocks everywhere. And then the cyclists appear,
>> cheered by all the people who've rushed out of their homes to find
>> out what all that brigade of motorcycle cops is doing.
>>
>> Well, to the point.
>> I plug the phone by USB cable into my Win10 computer, the phone
>> sings a little song, the computer shows no sign of it.
>> I plug it into a TV, same little song from the phone, not
>> recognised by the TV's media function.
>>
>> I can't find what app is playing the recognition tune on the phone.
>>
>> Help please.
>
> Ask in an Android newsgroup?

The OP's first question was a Windows question.
(the computer shows no sign of the phone being connected by USB)

The OP's second question was an Android question.
(I can't find what app is playing the recognition tune on the phone)

So I replied (to both, separately) to both newsgroups.
... however ...

I was led astray by the super confusing way the OP asked the question.
Only moments ago, as I pasted that above, did I realize that the OP isn't
asking the Android user what app is playing the song/video...

But he's asking what app played the "recognition" tune.
Sigh.

Confusion begets confusion.

Anyway, since I care the OP gets the help he needs, I strongly suspect the
app that "plays the recognition tune" is the "notification settings" in
Android.

On my Galaxy Android 12, I usually set the notification settings to
verbally speak to me what happened so I don't have to remember tunes.

1. Install Tell Me (text to WAV for notifications)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplycomplexapps.ASTellme>
2. Then type the words "I will now play your song" (or whatever)
3. Use TellMe to convert those words to a WAV file (male or female).
4. Save that WAV file into your notifications sound folder
5. For apps that can choose their own notifications, set the app
to run that notifications file whenever it is ready to play a song.

Of course, you need to know the app that is playing the song,
but I covered (in Vanguard-like gory detail) lots of ways for that.

As for Android notification sounds for apps that can't set their
own sound, IMHO the situation is atrociously primitive.

All my Android 12 can do for notification sounds (outside of the
smart apps that can set their own sounds) is the following
Settings > Notifications > Advanced Settings >

In "Advanced Settings" the OP can set "Show Notification Icons"
which may help the OP visually figure out what's going on, as
is the option to "Show icon badges" and "Notification reminders".

Better still, as I covered in detail to make a one-tap shortcut,
there is an option there for "Notification history" which should,
I would think, provide the OP with the last "stuff" that happened.

What might help the OP is the separate section in Settings for
Settings > Sounds and vibration > Notification sound
But the problem with that primitive option is you can't set it
to something intelligent such as a WAV file that speaks what it is.

In summary, if the Android phone is making a sound, and if the OP
has no idea what is making that sound, I'd suspect notifications.
--
The reason for the three newsgroups is that half the questions are
for Android & Windows - but the 2nd Windows ng is auto-archived too.

Re: Android into Win10

<ud5nd3$16non$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73980&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73980

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:58:49 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 22:58 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote

> In summary, if the Android phone is making a sound, and if the OP
> has no idea what is making that sound, I'd suspect notifications.

Of course, as I think more about how to help the OP, it could be he's
saying the PC made the notification sound... and not the Android...

Sigh...

In _that_ case, I'd use what I consider the best USB debugger alive
where Paul was the first person to suggest this most excellent tool!
<https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html>

Although VanguardLH suggests this seemingly equally good USB debugger.
<https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html>

The debugging steps I'd suggest in that case, for the OP, might be
1. Shut down the PC & remove all possible USB connections
2. Boot the PC without the Android phone being connected by USB
3. Run the free USB debuggers listed above
4. Plug in the Android phone and watch what changes in the debuggers
5. Install the OEM drivers for the Android phone (see list below).
6. Do the process all over again and see if the OEM drivers help out.

This could find hardware problems (e.g., in the USB cable or in the port
being used on the PC) which are related to _both_ the OP's issues.
a. The phone isn't recognized on the PC, and,
b. The PC is making the ding (if that's what is making the ding that is).

Here (again) are the list of OEM drivers (with a few additional links
annotated with a dash in front as I had missed them on the first pass).
- Amazon -> https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tablets/connecting-adb-to-device.html
- Essential <https://storage.googleapis.com/essential-static/Essential-PH1-WindowsDrivers.exe>
FCNT -> https://www.fcnt.com/support/develop/#anc-03
- Fujitsu -> http://spf.fmworld.net/fujitsu/c/develop/sp/android/
- Google -> https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb
- Honor -> https://www.hihonor.com/global/support/suite/
HTC -> https://www.htc.com/support
Huawei -> https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/index.htm
Intel -> https://www.intel.com/software/android
Kyocera -> https://kyoceramobile.com/support/drivers/
Lenovo -> https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/GlobalProductSelector
LGE -> https://www.lg.com/us/support/software-firmware
Motorola -> https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481/
MTK -> http://online.mediatek.com/Public%20Documents/MTK_Android_USB_Driver.zip
- Nokia -> When you connect a Nokia phone to your PC, you should see a virtual CD-ROM drive that contains the driver installer.
- Nvidia -> https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source
- OnePlus -> When you connect a OnePlus phone to your PC, you should see a virtual CD-ROM drive that contains the driver installer.
- Razer -> https://s3.amazonaws.com/cheryl-factory-images/How_to_Install_Android_Fastboot_Drivers_on_Windows.pdf
- RealMe -> https://www.realme.com/in/support/software-update
- Umidigi -> https://www.umidigi.com/page-Download.html
Xiaomi -> https://web.vip.miui.com/page/info/mio/mio/detail?postId=18464849&app_version=dev.20051
ZTE -> http://support.zte.com.cn/support/news/NewsDetail.aspx?newsId=1000442
See also <https://www.xda-developers.com/download-android-usb-drivers/>

There's also a generic driver which Windows installs but I don't have a
link to it - and there is a generic Google driver also (need the links).

Searching, this seems to be the generic Google Android:Windows driver.
<https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb>
<https://dl.google.com/android/repository/usb_driver_r13-windows.zip>
Name: usb_driver_r13-windows.zip
Size: 8682039 bytes (8478 KiB)
SHA256: 360B01D3DFB6C41621A3A64AE570DFAC2C9A40CCA1B5A1F136AE90D02F5E9E0B
Which extracts to various Windows cab and dll files (a whole 'nuther story)

Searching, we all know Windows should be installing the driver automatically
(plug n pray); but if not, we all know there's a series of debugging tasks.
<https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back-control-driver-updates-windows-10/>

But in most cases, Windows will automatically install the correct driver.
<https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-windows-drivers-android-phone/>
--
The reason for the immense detail is not only to help the OP, but also
to serve as a web-searchable permanent record for thousands of additional

Re: Android into Win10

<dt3af24zpex2$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73982&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73982

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 21:18:30 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 02:18 UTC

Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

> I plug the phone by USB cable into my Win10 computer, the phone sings a
> little song, the computer shows no sign of it.
> I plug it into a TV, same little song from the phone, not recognised by
> the TV's media function.
>
> I can't find what app is playing the recognition tune on the phone.

No mention of your smartphone (brand and model), so no way for anyone to
read the manual or research where are the USB settings in the Android OS
on your phone. On my old LG V20 smartphone, USB mode is under Android
settings -> General -> Developer Options -> Networking -> Select USB
Configuration. I'm back on Android 8, LG didn't add USB options in the
normal settings, so I had to enable Developer Options on my smartphone.

When you find the USB settings on whatever phone you have, you may find
it provides several operational modes, like charging only, media,
transfer (choose MTP instead of PTP if both are offered), MIDI, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol

PTP is the older media/file transfer protocol which was superseded by
MTP. Most phones have migrated to MTP, don't offer a choice between MTP
and PTP, so they may only say "File transfer" for the USB mode.

Just like the phone needs to be configured to enable file transfer move
via USB, you need to use a /full/ USB cable. A charge-only USB cable
only has the +5V and ground lines. You want a USB cable that also has
the 2 differential signal lines for data transfer.

Re: Android into Win10

<ud6noa$1t4rs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73989&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73989

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 09:09:29 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 08:09 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

> Just like the phone needs to be configured to enable file transfer move
> via USB, you need to use a /full/ USB cable. A charge-only USB cable
> only has the +5V and ground lines. You want a USB cable that also has
> the 2 differential signal lines for data transfer.

This is the one that did the trick. I used a different cable, Windows
recognised phone (Alcatel 3L) and loaded drivers.
However, it says that the folder is empty.

Ed

Re: Android into Win10

<ud6o7l$1t4rs$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73990&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73990

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 09:17:43 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 08:17 UTC

Wally J wrote:
> [...]
>
> There's also a generic driver which Windows installs but I don't have a
> link to it - and there is a generic Google driver also (need the links).
>
> Searching, this seems to be the generic Google Android:Windows driver.
> <https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb>
> <https://dl.google.com/android/repository/usb_driver_r13-windows.zip>
> Name: usb_driver_r13-windows.zip
> Size: 8682039 bytes (8478 KiB)
> SHA256: 360B01D3DFB6C41621A3A64AE570DFAC2C9A40CCA1B5A1F136AE90D02F5E9E0B
> Which extracts to various Windows cab and dll files (a whole 'nuther story)
>
> Searching, we all know Windows should be installing the driver automatically
> (plug n pray); but if not, we all know there's a series of debugging tasks.
> <https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back-control-driver-updates-windows-10/>
>
> But in most cases, Windows will automatically install the correct driver.

You've put so much time and effort into this, Wally J, that I feel I owe
you a special thank you.

Ed

Re: Android into Win10

<ud6ov1$1tb4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73992&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73992

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 09:30:04 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 08:30 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> VanguardLH wrote:
>> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

>> Just like the phone needs to be configured to enable file transfer move
>> via USB, you need to use a /full/ USB cable.  A charge-only USB cable
>> only has the +5V and ground lines.  You want a USB cable that also has
>> the 2 differential signal lines for data transfer.
>
> This is the one that did the trick. I used a different cable, Windows
> recognised phone (Alcatel 3L) and loaded drivers.
> However, it says that the folder is empty.
>
> Ed

I tried another phone, same cable, Honor 9. It installed drivers and all
pictures show up in folder.
Excellent.
The only difference I can detect between the two phones is that the
Alcatel has a 32GB SD card, whereas the Honor has dual SIMs.
Ed

Re: Android into Win10

<ud6roq$1ts6q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73994&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73994

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 05:18:17 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 09:18 UTC

On 9/4/2023 1:24 PM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> I took a lengthy video on my phone yesterday, the first day of the Tour of Britain cycling race. The minutes prior to the peloton arriving were quite spectacular. A host of 20/30 motorcycle cops race up in an almost military troop, cut off all traffic left and right, set up blocks everywhere. And then the cyclists appear, cheered by all the people who've rushed out of their homes to find out what all that brigade of motorcycle cops is doing.
>
> Well, to the point.
> I plug the phone by USB cable into my Win10 computer, the phone sings a little song, the computer shows no sign of it.
> I plug it into a TV, same little song from the phone, not recognised by the TV's media function.
>
> I can't find what app is playing the recognition tune on the phone.
>
> Help please.
>
> Ed

the response is partially a security thing of sorts.

The phone is not supposed to cough up data, unless the
operator of the phone is there to supervise.

Putting the phone in data mode, and authorizing the transfer,
is what they have in mind.

Whether it makes a notification sound, well, even the Windows PC
could have made that sound ("new USB device"). But who knows what VID:PID or VEN:DEV
the phone shows to the Windows computer, on first connection.

In any case, a phone setting thing, is your next step. And
on Win10, the rest of it should be (mostly) automatic.

If you can't find a result in File Explorer, cannot find
a result in Disk Management, then the very last place to
look in Windows, is in the Device section, do a properties
or try to, on an item seen there. The Device section is
part of the Settings wheel area.

Device Manager (a separate GUI application), can also show
the existence of the Android... once the authorization
ceremony is done. But the Device Manager is only really a place
to look, if you suspect "driver failure" and "blowing a code".
And you're a long way from the fault tree right now. Nothing
has failed yet... :-)

Paul

Re: Android into Win10

<ud6ucp$1u8jc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73995&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73995

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 06:03:03 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 10:03 UTC

On 9/5/2023 4:30 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

>>> Just like the phone needs to be configured to enable file transfer move
>>> via USB, you need to use a /full/ USB cable.  A charge-only USB cable
>>> only has the +5V and ground lines.  You want a USB cable that also has
>>> the 2 differential signal lines for data transfer.
>>
>> This is the one that did the trick. I used a different cable, Windows recognised phone (Alcatel 3L) and loaded drivers.
>> However, it says that the folder is empty.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> I tried another phone, same cable, Honor 9. It installed drivers and all pictures show up in folder.
> Excellent.
> The only difference I can detect between the two phones is that the Alcatel has a 32GB SD card, whereas the Honor has dual SIMs.
>
> Ed

"DCIM" is a common name for digital camera emulation of storage.
And the phone will likely "make public" the photo/video store,
and it should be visible from the Windows side.

https://www.androidauthority.com/phone-storage-folders-explained-744100/

But as to where this stuff is in various cases (SD or no SD), I
don't own one and can't tell you what is typical.

Paul

Paul

Re: Android into Win10

<ud74a3$1v3k9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73996&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73996

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 12:43:22 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 11:43 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 9/4/2023 1:24 PM, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> I took a lengthy video on my phone yesterday, the first day of the Tour of Britain cycling race. The minutes prior to the peloton arriving were quite spectacular. A host of 20/30 motorcycle cops race up in an almost military troop, cut off all traffic left and right, set up blocks everywhere. And then the cyclists appear, cheered by all the people who've rushed out of their homes to find out what all that brigade of motorcycle cops is doing.
>>
>> Well, to the point.
>> I plug the phone by USB cable into my Win10 computer, the phone sings a little song, the computer shows no sign of it.
>> I plug it into a TV, same little song from the phone, not recognised by the TV's media function.
>>
>> I can't find what app is playing the recognition tune on the phone.
>>
>> Help please.
>>
>> Ed
>
> the response is partially a security thing of sorts.
>
> The phone is not supposed to cough up data, unless the
> operator of the phone is there to supervise.
>
> Putting the phone in data mode, and authorizing the transfer,
> is what they have in mind.
>
> Whether it makes a notification sound, well, even the Windows PC
> could have made that sound ("new USB device"). But who knows what VID:PID or VEN:DEV
> the phone shows to the Windows computer, on first connection.
>
> In any case, a phone setting thing, is your next step. And
> on Win10, the rest of it should be (mostly) automatic.
>
> If you can't find a result in File Explorer, cannot find
> a result in Disk Management, then the very last place to
> look in Windows, is in the Device section, do a properties
> or try to, on an item seen there. The Device section is
> part of the Settings wheel area.
>
> Device Manager (a separate GUI application), can also show
> the existence of the Android... once the authorization
> ceremony is done. But the Device Manager is only really a place
> to look, if you suspect "driver failure" and "blowing a code".
> And you're a long way from the fault tree right now. Nothing
> has failed yet... :-)
>
> Paul

All done and dusted now, Paul.
The key factor was the cable, which VanguardLH pointed out.
Once that was working, everything followed a normal course.
The camera pics and vids are held in the DCIM folder on the SD card.

Another factor worth pointing out is the interplay between PC and phone.
You have to keep looking at both and be aware of messages appearing on both.

I've now got the two hooked up ideally, without any third-party
software; just Win10 and android. And I have full access from the PC
into the whole phone storage, including the SD card.

Ed

Re: Android into Win10

<ud7d3i$20ncs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73998&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73998

From: neil@myschool.edu (Neil)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 10:15:20 -0400
 by: Neil - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 14:15 UTC

On 9/5/2023 6:03 AM, Paul wrote:
> "DCIM" is a common name for digital camera emulation of storage.
> And the phone will likely "make public" the photo/video store,
> and it should be visible from the Windows side.
>
> https://www.androidauthority.com/phone-storage-folders-explained-744100/
>
> But as to where this stuff is in various cases (SD or no SD), I
> don't own one and can't tell you what is typical.

On my Samsung, the DCIM directory is, by default at the top level (for the
user space that is) on the sdcard0 card.

The first time you use the camera, it asks if you want to use external
storage.

Once you say yes, the DCIM directory is at the top level of the sdcard1.

Different camera apps work differently, as you noted.
--
regards,
Neil

Re: Android into Win10

<ud7db0$18lps$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73999&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73999

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 10:19:19 -0400
 by: Wally J - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 14:19 UTC

Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote

> The key factor was the cable, which VanguardLH pointed out.

To be fair, I also explained it could be the cable and I even provided
software debuggers which would have told you outright it was the cable.

Here's what I suggested (which would have caught _many_ USB issues).

The debugging steps I'd suggest in that case, for the OP, might be
1. Shut down the PC & remove all possible USB connections
2. Boot the PC without the Android phone being connected by USB
3. Run the free USB debuggers listed above
4. Plug in the Android phone and watch what changes in the debuggers
5. Install the OEM drivers for the Android phone (see list below).
6. Do the process all over again and see if the OEM drivers help out.

This could find hardware problems (e.g., in the USB cable or in the port
being used on the PC) which are related to _both_ the OP's issues.

Re: Android into Win10

<ud7rpf$23216$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74001&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74001

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 19:24:34 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 18:24 UTC

Wally J wrote:
> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote
>
>> The key factor was the cable, which VanguardLH pointed out.
>
> To be fair, I also explained it could be the cable and I even provided
> software debuggers which would have told you outright it was the cable.
>
> Here's what I suggested (which would have caught _many_ USB issues).
>
> The debugging steps I'd suggest in that case, for the OP, might be
> 1. Shut down the PC & remove all possible USB connections
> 2. Boot the PC without the Android phone being connected by USB
> 3. Run the free USB debuggers listed above
> 4. Plug in the Android phone and watch what changes in the debuggers
> 5. Install the OEM drivers for the Android phone (see list below).
> 6. Do the process all over again and see if the OEM drivers help out.
>
> This could find hardware problems (e.g., in the USB cable or in the port
> being used on the PC) which are related to _both_ the OP's issues.

Thanks, pal. I think you overwhelmed me with a vast quantity of help,
but I can see you had the answer too.

Ed

Re: Android into Win10

<ud80l6$23scp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74002&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74002

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 15:47:49 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 19:47 UTC

On 9/5/23 10:15, this is what Neil wrote:
> On 9/5/2023 6:03 AM, Paul wrote:
>> "DCIM" is a common name for digital camera emulation of storage.
>> And the phone will likely "make public" the photo/video store,
>> and it should be visible from the Windows side.
>>
>>   https://www.androidauthority.com/phone-storage-folders-explained-744100/
>>
>> But as to where this stuff is in various cases (SD or no SD), I
>> don't own one and can't tell you what is typical.
>
> On my Samsung, the DCIM directory is, by default at the top level (for the
> user space that is) on the sdcard0 card.
>
> The first time you use the camera, it asks if you want to use external
> storage.
>
> Once you say yes, the DCIM directory is at the top level of the sdcard1.
>
> Different camera apps work differently, as you noted.
I had a Blu phone that would put everything in main memory (of course), until you inserted an SD card. It then just
started using the SD card for a lot of things, downloads and camera were two of the first things I saw. It left the old
folder in main, but made new ones. Kinda confusing but nice that it move a good number of items over.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Android into Win10

<ud8qql$1a9kp$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74012&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74012

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 23:15:39 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 03:15 UTC

Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote

>> Different camera apps work differently, as you noted.
>
> I had a Blu phone that would put everything in main memory
>(of course), until you inserted an SD card. It then just
> started using the SD card for a lot of things, downloads
> and camera were two of the first things I saw.
> It left the old folder in main, but made new ones.
> Kinda confusing but nice that it move a good number of items over.

NOTE: This became long because it's a reference for one in a million people
who want to completely control their data and who never need to search.
*If you have to search - then you're doing something very wrong*

You bring up a good point in that most Android phones "bring over the data"
when you set the apps to use the portable memory sd slot for their data.

Most people do not think ahead when it comes to organizing their computing
devices (whether that's Windows or Android) where I do think ahead on both.

People who think ahead are likely one in a million - but - they have a much
easier time finding things since everything is always where it belongs.

For example, on Windows, I put *nothing* in the C:\Users directory (since
I'm the only user) and also *nothing* goes into the Program Files folders.

The data goes in C:\data and the programs go in C:\apps (although the names
aren't important - the concept is *YOU* determine where your "stuff" goes.

Obviously in C:\data and C:\apps there are well-established hierarchies.
These hierarchies last for decades since they are easily ported to new PCs.
Every PC in the household uses the same hierarchies - so it's all simple.

Nobody ever has to use the Windows "search" feature (which is disabled from
even taking space on the taskbar since a Windows search is *never* needed).

It doesn't matter what hierarchy you choose to store your data in - what
matters is the consistency and completeness of your hierarchy (e.g., I
don't allow catch-all folders such as "misc" or "utils" on any PC).

Of course, your pop-up pull-out cascaded accordion menu (which is pinned to
the taskbar on every PC and which is copied - verbatim - to any new PC)
follows *exactly* the same hierarchy as does the app directory folders.

In the end, everything makes sense, where, for example the data hierarchy
has folders of the organization c:\data\{doc,mail,sys,etc.} just as there
are logical hierarchies for where things go in C:\apps such as
c:\apps\{browsers,cleaners,editors,etc} and, as I mentioned, the menu
folders the same at c:\menu\{browsers,cleaners,editors,etc}.

Likewise, on Android, you maintain your own hierarchy at all times.
Only it's a LOT DIFFERENT on Android than it is on Windows.
You have far less control.

The trick I've found is to meld your Windows skills with Android skills.

The first thing I do when I get a new phone is populate it from the old
phone which is as simple as copying over the data and app hiearchies.

One person in a million (maybe in ten million) can do what I do because
almost everyone lets Android decide where to put apps and data.

I decide where data go on both Windows & Android (for the most part).
I decide where apps go on both Windows & Android (completely).

The most important clever thing to do is when you get a new phone, normally
you can just put the old sdcard into it and everything works just fine on
the new phone with that old sdcard (everything is where it belongs).

But sometimes with a new phone I get a new sdcard - usually bigger.
In that case, I do what I describe below - which one of a million do.

FORMAT
1. I use Windows to name the sdcard 0000-0001 (this is important!).
2. Note: Every Android sdcard is named the exact same name for me!

DATA:
3. On that sdcard, I make a top level 0001 folder (every single card!)
4. I create the data hierarchy under 0001 (\0001\{docs,maps,pics,etc}.

APPS:
5. Using the Nova launcher I back up the *exact* placement of all the
homescreen app icons on the old phone and copy that to the new phone.
6. This copies *exactly* the same app icons to the new phone, only
if the app isn't installed - the icon is grayed out temporarily.
7. To populate the apps, I generally just slide the APKs over from
Windows using screen copy (which installs APKs when you drag & drop).

But there are many ways to repopulate apps - the simplest being you
just tap on the grayed-out icon that Nova launcher brought over into
the correct place on the new homescreen and the app will re-install
from your chosen repo (I don't use the Google Play Store app but I
do use the Google Play Store repository to get the apps the first time).

Note that once you get an app from the Google Play Store repository,
the APK is automatically *not deleted!* (if you set that switch).

So you _always_ have all the APKs you ever installed on Android!

Better yet, if you robocopy over all those stored APKs as periodically
as you do with your pictures, all the APKs you ever installed are on
your Windows storage devices already.

A quick flowchart example is
a. Use Windows adb to list the full path to all stored Android APKs
C:\> adb shell pm list packages -f -3 > C:\tmp\list-of-all-apks
b. Copy all those automatically stored Android APKs over to Windows
C:\> Use robocopy to copy each of those APKs over to Windows
c. Copy them back onto the new phone to easily re-populate the apps!
(Just slide the APKs over from Windows to Android using scrcpy.)
(When you do that, the APK is installed exactly where you wanted!)

I could go on talking about how I melded Android and Windows keeping
control over the file system as much as possible, but I suspect out of a
million people who read this missive, only one will understand or care.

Note though that if you do not make a "0001" hierarchy on the Android
portable storage sdcard (and a corresponding "0000" hierarchy on your
Android permanent internal storage), you'll have a devil of a time finding
your stuff because Android - let's face it - is a mess in terms of
hierarchies it splashes all over both the internal and external cards.

The name of "0000" (for the internal card) and "0001" for the external
storage card is arbitrary - but I've chosen it so that it displays on top
because I don't normally need to mess with any other folders on Android.

It's the same with Windows where I don't normally need to mess with any
other folders than C:\{apps,data,menu,etc.} on Windows.

In summary, using your Windows and Android skills, you can easily put
everything in its place on every Android phone or Windows PC you own.

When you move from one Android phone or Windows PC to another, you just
copy (verbatim!) the folders over - and almost everything works perfectly!
--
Note I never use plural-named folders (except when you can't, such as
"news") but I allowed plurals here for readability and comprehension.

Re: Android into Win10

<ud8rh4$1aaci$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74013&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74013

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 23:27:38 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 03:27 UTC

Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote

>> This could find hardware problems (e.g., in the USB cable or in the port
>> being used on the PC) which are related to _both_ the OP's issues.
>
> Thanks, pal. I think you overwhelmed me with a vast quantity of help,
> but I can see you had the answer too.

I'm not a normal Usenet poster who is normally here for their amusement.
I'm here to edify and to learn.

When I learn, I learn from helpful people who are smarter than I am, such
as Paul and wasbit and Stan Brown and Herbert Kleebauer and Andy Burns.

When I edify, it's to write up as completely as I can, how people who
aren't as smart as those guys are, can do the things those guys can do.

You'll note that I make generous use of the Google-archived newsgroups.
There's a reason for that (i.e., it's permanently archived).
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
<http://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows>

The purpose is to leverage the appreciable expense of effort to many!

That way the few people who know how to run a Google Usenet-article search
can find the data, now and far into the future - but also the less informed
who only know how to run a "normal" Google search find the data also.

Many (many!) times, for example, I've run a Google or DuckDuckGo or MetaGer
search where the first page of hits has some of my best Usenet tutorials.

I do all this because I am a good person who cares that others get answers.
--
Unfortunately the Windows ng we most use is not archived by Google so many
years ago I made this URL which is better than nothing for Windows searches

Re: Android into Win10

<ud9eal$2e995$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74014&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74014

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 09:46:30 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 08:46 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> On 9/4/2023 1:24 PM, Ed Cryer wrote:
>>> I took a lengthy video on my phone yesterday, the first day of the
>>> Tour of Britain cycling race. The minutes prior to the peloton
>>> arriving were quite spectacular. A host of 20/30 motorcycle cops race
>>> up in an almost military troop, cut off all traffic left and right,
>>> set up blocks everywhere. And then the cyclists appear, cheered by
>>> all the people who've rushed out of their homes to find out what all
>>> that brigade of motorcycle cops is doing.
>>>
>>> Well, to the point.
>>> I plug the phone by USB cable into my Win10 computer, the phone sings
>>> a little song, the computer shows no sign of it.
>>> I plug it into a TV, same little song from the phone, not recognised
>>> by the TV's media function.
>>>
>>> I can't find what app is playing the recognition tune on the phone.
>>>
>>> Help please.
>>>
>>> Ed
>>
>> the response is partially a security thing of sorts.
>>
>> The phone is not supposed to cough up data, unless the
>> operator of the phone is there to supervise.
>>
>> Putting the phone in data mode, and authorizing the transfer,
>> is what they have in mind.
>>
>> Whether it makes a notification sound, well, even the Windows PC
>> could have made that sound ("new USB device"). But who knows what
>> VID:PID or VEN:DEV
>> the phone shows to the Windows computer, on first connection.
>>
>> In any case, a phone setting thing, is your next step. And
>> on Win10, the rest of it should be (mostly) automatic.
>>
>> If you can't find a result in File Explorer, cannot find
>> a result in Disk Management, then the very last place to
>> look in Windows, is in the Device section, do a properties
>> or try to, on an item seen there. The Device section is
>> part of the Settings wheel area.
>>
>> Device Manager (a separate GUI application), can also show
>> the existence of the Android... once the authorization
>> ceremony is done. But the Device Manager is only really a place
>> to look, if you suspect "driver failure" and "blowing a code".
>> And you're a long way from the fault tree right now. Nothing
>> has failed yet... :-)
>>
>>     Paul
>>

> All done and dusted now, Paul.
> The key factor was the cable, which VanguardLH pointed out.
> Once that was working, everything followed a normal course.
> The camera pics and vids are held in the DCIM folder on the SD card.
>
> Another factor worth pointing out is the interplay between PC and phone.
> You have to keep looking at both and be aware of messages appearing on
> both.
>
> I've now got the two hooked up ideally, without any third-party
> software; just Win10 and android. And I have full access from the PC
> into the whole phone storage, including the SD card.
>
> Ed

I tried it into my TV's USB port.
The phone gave me three options;
1. USB charging
2. Transfers files
3. Transfer photos & videos
The TV's media function gave me "no USB device attached" for all three.
I can plug HDs and memory sticks into the TV and they're recognised.
Maybe a micro-USB to HDMI cable would play directly onto the TV. But not
needed, because I have an Apple TV device and I can pass files into it
from the PC wirelessly.
Ed

Re: Android into Win10

<ud9eun$2e995$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74015&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74015

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 09:57:33 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 08:57 UTC

Wally J wrote:
> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote
>
>>> This could find hardware problems (e.g., in the USB cable or in the port
>>> being used on the PC) which are related to _both_ the OP's issues.
>>
>> Thanks, pal. I think you overwhelmed me with a vast quantity of help,
>> but I can see you had the answer too.
>
> I'm not a normal Usenet poster who is normally here for their amusement.
> I'm here to edify and to learn.
>
> When I learn, I learn from helpful people who are smarter than I am, such
> as Paul and wasbit and Stan Brown and Herbert Kleebauer and Andy Burns.
>
> When I edify, it's to write up as completely as I can, how people who
> aren't as smart as those guys are, can do the things those guys can do.
>
> You'll note that I make generous use of the Google-archived newsgroups.
> There's a reason for that (i.e., it's permanently archived).
> <http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
> <http://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows>
>
> The purpose is to leverage the appreciable expense of effort to many!
>
> That way the few people who know how to run a Google Usenet-article search
> can find the data, now and far into the future - but also the less informed
> who only know how to run a "normal" Google search find the data also.
>
> Many (many!) times, for example, I've run a Google or DuckDuckGo or MetaGer
> search where the first page of hits has some of my best Usenet tutorials.
>
> I do all this because I am a good person who cares that others get answers.

There are few NGs these days that are worthwhile; so many are flooded
with spam and trolling.
This one is among a few of the better ones.

I like your ideas of passing solutions into Google's top brackets.
Another way I've seen used is to post with "SOLVED" in the title. And
then a search in Google's Advanced Groups Search page will find them.

Ed

Re: Android into Win10

<DDCHS2A6CE+kFwaH@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74016&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74016

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 10:04:58 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 09:04 UTC

In message <ud9eun$2e995$2@dont-email.me>, Ed Cryer
<ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> writes
<big snip>
>There are few NGs these days that are worthwhile; so many are flooded
>with spam and trolling.
>This one is among a few of the better ones.

I find that the news sever I use - NIN - does an excellent job of
filtering out spam, so I hardly ever see any. It can't help with the
trolls, of course.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed

Re: Android into Win10

<klrdifFj14hU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74018&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74018

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 09:36:15 -0400
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 13:36 UTC

On 2023-09-06 04:46, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>> On 9/4/2023 1:24 PM, Ed Cryer wrote:

> I tried it into my TV's USB port.
> The phone gave me three options;
> 1. USB charging
> 2. Transfers files
> 3. Transfer photos & videos
> The TV's media function gave me "no USB device attached" for all three.

Which is correct :-)

The TV doesn't support MTP.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Android into Win10