From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: MHT file
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 20:14:20 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:14 UTC

I have a stray .MHT file, set to open with MS Edge. When I try to open
it with Firefox it won't let me; it continually asks what to do with it.
It is RFC-822 data (991 KB).

It also opens in MS Word.

Why is this?

Ed

Re: MHT file

<ue7lkl$h1al$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74164&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74164

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: MHT file
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 21:55:52 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:55 UTC

Ed,

>I have a stray .MHT file, set to open with MS Edge. When I try to open it
>with Firefox it won't let me; it continually asks what to do with it.
> Why is this?

Because its an Microsoft filetype, and other companies, likeMozilla, didn't
bother to implement it - not enough usage to make it worth the cost of
writing support for it.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: MHT file

<d1oegiltce82rful8fljca3oe7337p46a3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74165&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74165

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 08:38:53 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 20:38 UTC

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 20:14:20 +0100, Ed Cryer wrote:

> I have a stray .MHT file, set to open with MS Edge. When I try to open
> it with Firefox it won't let me; it continually asks what to do with it.
> It is RFC-822 data (991 KB).
>
> It also opens in MS Word.
>
> Why is this?

RFC822 data is like email messages. Just be aware that most
MHT files only have a small subset of the message headers.

If you want to open it in a Mozilla product...
1. Change the extension from .mht to .eml
2. Open Thunderbird
3. Drag that .eml file over Thunderbird and drop it into
a folder inside Thunderbird's 'Local Folders'.

--
Kind Regards
Ralph Fox

​️"Ne ꞅoꞃᵹa, ꞅnoꞇoꞃ ᵹuma! Selꞃe bıð æᵹhƿæm, þæt he hıꞅ ꝼꞃeonꝺ ƿꞃece, þonne he ꝼela muꞃne."
​️ -- Beoƿulꝼ.

Re: MHT file

<1d1v85lses1er.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74166&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74166

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:43:38 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 20:43 UTC

Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

> I have a stray .MHT file, set to open with MS Edge. When I try to open
> it with Firefox it won't let me; it continually asks what to do with it.
> It is RFC-822 data (991 KB).
>
> It also opens in MS Word.

MHT is a Microsoft-proprietary file format. Well, the structure of the
file is defined by Microsoft, but content uses headers and MIME blocks.
See:

https://docs.fileformat.com/web/mht/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHTML

Requires a handler to render it. MHT is an archive file; however,
again, it is proprietary, so 7-Zip, Peazip, and other archive tools
can't open it.

There are MHT viewers you can use to view the contents; for example:

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/mht-viewer/9NBLGGH2VSQ9

Despite you don't have Internet Explorer which had the option to save a
web page as a .mht archive (instead of a folder for the main web page,
and subfolders for all resources aka Web Complete save), you should
still be able to open the .mht file in MS Edge provided you're not the
type to purge Edge from your Windows 10 setup.

Firefox does not have MHT support. Never did. It's not a standard
archive file format. Again, Microsoft proprietary, and why Edge still
supports MHT. No surprise MS Word opens a .mht file since it's
Microsoft supporting a Microsoft-proprietary format.

Add-ons are where extra support is found, like reading .mht files. For
Firefox, try the UnMHT add-on.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/firefox/addon/unmht/

Alas, dev got abandoned on that add-on a while ago. If you click on the
link to show older versions, those run on pretty old versions of
Firefox, like back to FF v55 which probably means the add-on uses the
XUL/XPCOM model that got dropped from FF after version 57 when Mozilla
went to the then-new WebExtensions (WE) add-ons programming model.

You didn't mention which version of Firefox you are using. There are
some forks of Firefox that still support the old XUL/XPCOM extension
programming model. I think Waterfox is one, but I have not kept up with
which FF deviants, er, variants that are still currently supported, and
which you might still have to get old versions to use old extensions.

Use Edge to view .mht files. Microsoft still supports their proprietary
archive file format in Edge. I think Chrome and Opera also (still) open
MHT files. Forget viewing MHT files in Firefox.

There are standalong MHT viewers, like:

https://www.freeviewer.org/mht/
https://www.bitrecover.com/mht/viewer/ (free & pay versions)
https://www.perfectdatasoftware.com/mht/viewer/

There are also online MHT viewers, but I didn't bother to find and
mention those.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: MHT file