Air pollution is really making us pay through the nose.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Firefox icon

SubjectAuthor
* Firefox iconEd Cryer
+* Firefox iconAndy Burns
|`* Firefox iconEd Cryer
| `* Firefox iconAndy Burns
|  `* Firefox iconEd Cryer
|   `- Firefox iconEd Cryer
+* Firefox iconPaul
|`- Firefox iconPaul
+* Firefox iconBrad
|`- Firefox iconPaul
+* Firefox icon...winston
|`* Firefox iconEd Cryer
| `- Firefox iconAndy Burns
+* Firefox iconNewyana2
|+* Firefox iconPaul
||`* Firefox iconAndy Burns
|| `* Firefox iconPaul
||  `- Firefox iconNewyana2
|`* Firefox iconEd Cryer
| +* Firefox iconEd Cryer
| |+- Firefox iconBig Al
| |`- Firefox iconAllanH
| `* Firefox iconNewyana2
|  +* Firefox iconEd Cryer
|  |+- Firefox iconPaul
|  |`* Firefox iconNewyana2
|  | `* Firefox iconEd Cryer
|  |  `* Firefox iconEd Cryer
|  |   `* Firefox iconAndy Burns
|  |    `* Firefox iconEd Cryer
|  |     `- Firefox iconPaul
|  `- Firefox iconFrank Slootweg
`* Firefox iconwasbit
 `- Firefox iconEd Cryer

Pages:12
Re: Firefox icon

<ueeojb$2u8ee$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74209&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74209

From: Newyana2@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Firefox icon
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 08:28:39 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 12:28 UTC

"Ed Cryer" <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote

| I tried without success.
| HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open\command.
| First I changed it to ""C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" %1
| Then I tried without the %1.

Mine has this under FirefoxHTML:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -osint -url "%1"

The two parameters are irregular. I expect it would also work
with
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "%1"

You need to understand the structure of the file type
system. Windows looks up HKCR\.html. The default value
there is the name of the next key. If it's not "htmlfile"
then your changes won't matter. In most cases you
don't need to mess with shell\open\command. You can
just change the default value of the extension key.

I have a FirefoxHTML key, so I could make it open with
Firefox by changing HKCR\.html default value by FirefoxHTML.
That key is in my Registry even though I've never had
FF as my default browser.

It's the same for any file. For example, for JPG I have
HKCR\.jpg with a default value of "IrfanView.jpg". When
I then look up HKCR\IrfanView.jpg I find

HKCR\IrfanView.jpg\shell\open\command with a default
value of:

"C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" "%1"

I also find HKCR\IrfanView.jpg\DefaultIcon with a default
value of:

C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe,4

If I were to change that to C:\Windows\Notepad.exe,0
then all my JPG files would look like a Notepad icon.
Though such changes sometimes don't show up right
off without a refresh of Explorer's cache.

If I were to change the command key default value to the
Notepad path then Notepad would try to open JPGs. Similarly,
if I were to change the default value under HKCR\.jpg to
"txtfile" then Windows would use the info under HKCR\txtfile
to send all JPGs to Notepad and give them all a Notepad icon.

So....

HKCR\.xyz default value: AcmeXYZFile

HKCR\AcmeXYZFile\shell\open\command
default value: [path of program to open .xyz files.]

So far, so good... Then Microsoft does an update and changes
it to HKCR\.xyz default value: MSxyz

Now the HKCR\MSxyz subkeys will decide what the
default program and icon are. So it's a double step.
Find the "class name" under the extension key (.xyz).
Then look up HKCR\[class name] or change the class
name to make it point to something else.

They could have just put it all under HKCR\.xyz but
this allows the data to be separate from the pointer.
The first key just tells you where to look. So in many
cases you only have to change that.

Imagine that you're
lending some cheese to a friend and you tell them to
check your kitchen table. You have a fridge in the kitchen,
cellar and garage. The cheese they want is in the garage.
So you just leave a note that says "garage fridge". With
that info they can find the cheese, no matter where
you've stored it. If it turns out the cheese is in the cellar
fridge, you don't have to move it. You just change the note
to say "cellar fridge". That's what the HKCR\.*** keys do.

You failed to check the note on the kitchen table. So now
you're rummaging around in the kitchen fridge, cursing your
friend. :)

Re: Firefox icon

<uefia3.nks.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74210&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74210

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 20 Sep 2023 17:48:33 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:48 UTC

Newyana2 <Newyana2@invalid.nospam> wrote:
[...]

> I haven't even seen Edge. I now have Win10 and 11. I
> run Firefox and Waterfox. I haven't seen any attempt of
> Edge to load or hassle me. Though I also disabled various
> Edge-related crap, in both services and autoruns if I
> remember correctly. Maybe it runs in the background if
> you don't do that.

On Windows 11 (don't know about 10), you'll probably see it (Edge) if
you use Search and then click on any of the 'Search the web' results.

Of course you won't do that, but that's just an example of a place
where Edge comes out of hiding. I.e. clicking on a result starts Edge
(often to Bing! :-)) and not your default browser.

In my test, I used "holy shit" as a search term, quite appropriate I
think.

Re: Firefox icon

<uefbr3$3220k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74211&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74211

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:57:40 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:57 UTC

Newyana2 wrote:
> [...]
> name to make it point to something else.
>
> They could have just put it all under HKCR\.xyz but
> this allows the data to be separate from the pointer.
> The first key just tells you where to look. So in many
> cases you only have to change that.
>
> Imagine that you're
> lending some cheese to a friend and you tell them to
> check your kitchen table. You have a fridge in the kitchen,
> cellar and garage. The cheese they want is in the garage.
> So you just leave a note that says "garage fridge". With
> that info they can find the cheese, no matter where
> you've stored it. If it turns out the cheese is in the cellar
> fridge, you don't have to move it. You just change the note
> to say "cellar fridge". That's what the HKCR\.*** keys do.
>
> You failed to check the note on the kitchen table. So now
> you're rummaging around in the kitchen fridge, cursing your

Well, I have FirefoxHTML in my registry; and it contains the same as
yours, with the strange params.
So, I used those in the .htmlfile ..... command key.
Still no joy.

Then I examined the icons in firefox.exe. There are many, including 3
occurrences of the textfile icon, but the first five are all the
well-known orange fox.

I'm still stumped, although I've had some lessons in icon-networking.
I think the only thing left is a reinstall of Firefox.

Ed

Re: Firefox icon

<uefcv9$32bmr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74212&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74212

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 19:16:40 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:16 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> [...]
>> you've stored it. If it turns out the cheese is in the cellar
>> fridge, you don't have to move it. You just change the note
>> to say "cellar fridge". That's what the HKCR\.*** keys do.
>>
>>    You failed to check the note on the kitchen table. So now
>> you're rummaging around in the kitchen fridge, cursing your
>> friend. :)
>>

> Well, I have FirefoxHTML in my registry; and it contains the same as
> yours, with the strange params.
> So, I used those in the .htmlfile  ..... command key.
> Still no joy.
>
> Then I examined the icons in firefox.exe. There are many, including 3
> occurrences of the textfile icon, but the first five are all the
> well-known orange fox.
>
> I'm still stumped, although I've had some lessons in icon-networking.
> I think the only thing left is a reinstall of Firefox.

A major breakthrough.
I looked into Default apps, and noticed there were two entries for
Firefox. So I switched to the other one and lo! the orange fox twisted
around the globe icon has appeared on all HTM/L files.
Success. But how come?
Both Firefoxes are 64-bit.
Ed

Re: Firefox icon

<kn0rsmFu66sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74213&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74213

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 19:27:33 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:27 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:

> A major breakthrough.
> I looked into Default apps, and noticed there were two entries for
> Firefox. So I switched to the other one and lo! the orange fox twisted
> around the globe icon has appeared on all HTM/L files.
> Success. But how come?
> Both Firefoxes are 64-bit.

I also have two Firefoxes shown under Apps > Default Apps
both are orange and swirly

I only have one Mozilla Firefox showing under Apps > Installed Apps

However within File explorer, all .htm[l] files are shown with an
annoying black background to the icon.

Re: Firefox icon

<uegsqh$3dl7v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74214&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74214

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 08:53:35 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 07:53 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>
>> A major breakthrough.
>> I looked into Default apps, and noticed there were two entries for
>> Firefox. So I switched to the other one and lo! the orange fox twisted
>> around the globe icon has appeared on all HTM/L files.
>> Success. But how come?
>> Both Firefoxes are 64-bit.
>
> I also have two Firefoxes shown under Apps > Default Apps
> both are orange and swirly
>
> I only have one Mozilla Firefox showing under Apps > Installed Apps
>
> However within File explorer, all .htm[l] files are shown with an
> annoying black background to the icon.

I have something similar.
Two in Default apps, one with normal icon, one with the black
background; just one under Apps > Installed Apps.
All Explorer file icons have the black background.

When I load Firefox it says it's not my default browser, should I make
it so. I had to hit "don't show again".

Under "Open with" there are also two Firefoxes. One normal, the other
"Windows MSIX package
mozilla MSIX 1.0".

Weird and wonderful. But I've now got a good enough icon on the files.

BTW, I'm seriously thinking of leaving FF. Maybe I'll go to Edge, just
for some peace of mind.

Ed

Re: Firefox icon

<ueh2bv$3ek9u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74215&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74215

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:28:32 +0100
 by: wasbit - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:28 UTC

On 18/09/2023 10:05, Ed Cryer wrote:
> The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
> FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of
> icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
> I also notice that Nirsoft's IconExplorer is no longer available.

Have you got your names mixed up?
Icon Explorer is by Mitek
- http://www.mitec.cz/iconex.html

Icons Extract is by Nir Sofer (Nirsoft)
- https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.html

Another programme that may do what you want is Resource Hacker
- http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Firefox icon

<ueh5kb$3f634$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74216&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74216

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:23:07 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:23 UTC

wasbit wrote:
> On 18/09/2023 10:05, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> The icon is wrong on HTM and HTML files. It shows a textfile icon.
>> FiletypesMan doesn't work; at least not here. It gives me a choice of
>> icons for the .exe, I click on the one I want, no change.
>> I also notice that Nirsoft's IconExplorer is no longer available.
>>

> Have you got your names mixed up?
> Icon Explorer is by Mitek
>  - http://www.mitec.cz/iconex.html
>
> Icons Extract is by Nir Sofer (Nirsoft)
>  - https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.html
>
> Another programme that may do what you want is Resource Hacker
>  - http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/

No mix-up.
Try this;
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/filetypesman.html
Ed

Re: Firefox icon

<ueho6c$3jd9q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74223&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74223

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:40:58 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:40 UTC

On 9/21/2023 3:53 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>> Ed Cryer wrote:
>>
>>> A major breakthrough.
>>> I looked into Default apps, and noticed there were two entries for Firefox. So I switched to the other one and lo! the orange fox twisted around the globe icon has appeared on all HTM/L files.
>>> Success. But how come?
>
> BTW, I'm seriously thinking of leaving FF. Maybe I'll go to Edge, just for some peace of mind.
>
> Ed

That will teach the Mozilla folks, to once more be screwing around.

Perhaps this was judged as a "Win7 antagonistic" change ? Does Win7
support MSIX ?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/msix/msix-on-windows-7/m-p/1426077

"While it might make it easier for the vendor to have one installer,
it is adding a burden to the Win7 consumer, who must first install
software before any MSIX package can be installed on their OS. And
in the end, the contents of the MSIX package are laid down the same
as the original MSI would have done and none of the customer MSIX
benefits of OS and App protection apply. (Note: it could be possible
that store based licensing and updating still apply, I'm not sure)."

Paul

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Firefox icon