"The sixties were good to you, weren't they?" -- George Carlin

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: "System Administrator" blocked a software install

SubjectAuthor
* "System Administrator" blocked a software installAlan Holbrook
+- "System Administrator" blocked a software installRoger Mills
+- "System Administrator" blocked a software installEd Cryer
+- "System Administrator" blocked a software installVanguardLH
`- "System Administrator" blocked a software installPaul

1
"System Administrator" blocked a software install

<XnsB08A7240DDD29isaaclaqudemgmailcom@69.80.102.84>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74288&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74288

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: "System Administrator" blocked a software install
From: no.thanks@lets.not (Alan Holbrook)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 15:13:53 +0000
 by: Alan Holbrook - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 15:13 UTC

I recently tried to install a game from CD-ROM on my Windows 10 box. I got
an error message that said the system admonistrator blocked the install.
Now, this is purely my own home system, and I don't recall ever setting up
a system administrator. So how do I tell this non-existent sys admin that
it's OK to let me install this software on my own system?

Re: "System Administrator" blocked a software install

<knds2dF5lrmU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74294&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74294

From: mills37.fslife@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:50:21 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 16:50 UTC

On 25/09/2023 16:13, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> I recently tried to install a game from CD-ROM on my Windows 10 box. I got
> an error message that said the system admonistrator blocked the install.
> Now, this is purely my own home system, and I don't recall ever setting up
> a system administrator. So how do I tell this non-existent sys admin that
> it's OK to let me install this software on my own system?

Try navigating to the setup.exe or install.exe file on the CD,
right-click on it and then click on "Run as administrator". With any
luck, that will work.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: "System Administrator" blocked a software install

<uesfrn$216m4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74296&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74296

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 18:26:03 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:26 UTC

Alan Holbrook wrote:
> I recently tried to install a game from CD-ROM on my Windows 10 box. I got
> an error message that said the system admonistrator blocked the install.
> Now, this is purely my own home system, and I don't recall ever setting up
> a system administrator. So how do I tell this non-existent sys admin that
> it's OK to let me install this software on my own system?

Try these suggestions;
https://www.makeuseof.com/app-blocked-by-system-administrator-windows/

Ed

Re: "System Administrator" blocked a software install

<x1zz87ki6klc$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74298&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74298

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 13:19:25 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 18:19 UTC

Alan Holbrook <no.thanks@lets.not> wrote:

> I recently tried to install a game from CD-ROM on my Windows 10 box.
> I got an error message that said the system admonistrator blocked the
> install. Now, this is purely my own home system, and I don't recall
> ever setting up a system administrator. So how do I tell this
> non-existent sys admin that it's OK to let me install this software
> on my own system?

Copy the files/folders from the CD to a temp folder on an internal
drive. Run the setup.exe from there. Possibly the game installer needs
to write files. It should do so on your internal drives, like for temp
files or for where you tell the installer to place the game files, but a
badly coded installer might try to write to the CD, but that is read-
only storage media. If you bought a commercial copy of the game on the
CD, it should be writing to your writable drives. If someone merely
copied the game installer to a CD to distribute (likely a pirated copy
if shared) then the installer might try to write to where it is located
which is the CD. You can burn CD-R and CD-RW using special software,
but you cannot normally write files to it. CDs are read-only.

Unless you log into a Windows account with administrator privileges, you
don't get to install software. Contact whomever owns the computer, and
ask them to elevate your account (add it to the Administrators security
group). If you are logging in under a restricted account, you should
also have an admin account (that you create separate of the default
Administrator account which you should never use except in case of
emergency, like when repairing a setup).

As Ed mentioned, see if running the setup.exe program with administrator
privileges (escalated) will get the installer to run. But that's only
needed if you are logging into a Windows account with restricted
privileges. Even as administrator, you will still get the UAC (User
Access Control) prompt asking to allow the program to run unless you
already disabled UAC.

Re: "System Administrator" blocked a software install

<ueslop$22fld$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74302&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74302

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 15:07:03 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 19:07 UTC

On 9/25/2023 11:13 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> I recently tried to install a game from CD-ROM on my Windows 10 box. I got
> an error message that said the system admonistrator blocked the install.
> Now, this is purely my own home system, and I don't recall ever setting up
> a system administrator. So how do I tell this non-existent sys admin that
> it's OK to let me install this software on my own system?

I would run the name of the game through Google.

One of the game protection methods, is similar to a malware.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driver-blocked-due-to-compatibility-issues/050541ae-8c88-4041-a04d-ef12805ba227

Paul

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: "System Administrator" blocked a software install