"Don't talk to me about disclaimers! I invented disclaimers!" -- The Censored Hacker

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Windows 11 To Windows 10 Pro

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 11 To Windows 10 ProBill Bradshaw
+* Windows 11 To Windows 10 ProPaul
|`- Windows 11 To Windows 10 ProBill Bradshaw
`* Windows 11 To Windows 10 ProT
 +* Windows 11 To Windows 10 ProBill Bradshaw
 |`- Windows 11 To Windows 10 ProT
 `- Windows 11 To Windows 10 Pro...winston

1
Windows 11 To Windows 10 Pro

<knlmv7Feph2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74404&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74404

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows 11 To Windows 10 Pro
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 08:12:21 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:12 UTC

I am finally going to retire my 13 year old laptop. The new laptop comes
with 11. I intend to save an image of the 11 with Macrium. I want to
replace it with the Windows 10 Pro. I need to install this before I start
moving stuff. The WIndows 10 Pro on the old computer is a purchased version
that came on a small flash drive and I still have all of this. The version
on the flash is so old it can not be upgraded. I would like to repurpose
this on the new computer. I have the keycard. Would this keycard still
work if I used a media creation version? I did not install 10 Pro on the
old laptop with a MIcrosoft account and intend to do that on the new one. I
am willing to purchase a legitimate vesion of Windows 10 Pro if it is
available somewhere. We don't need to discuss using Windows 11 because I
have no interest at this time.

Looking for all suggestions that might help me move from 11 to 10.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Windows 11 To Windows 10 Pro

<uf4bmi$3pcpf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74405&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74405

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows 11 To Windows 10 Pro
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 13:04:17 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 17:04 UTC

On 9/28/2023 12:12 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> I am finally going to retire my 13 year old laptop. The new laptop comes
> with 11. I intend to save an image of the 11 with Macrium. I want to
> replace it with the Windows 10 Pro. I need to install this before I start
> moving stuff. The WIndows 10 Pro on the old computer is a purchased version
> that came on a small flash drive and I still have all of this. The version
> on the flash is so old it can not be upgraded. I would like to repurpose
> this on the new computer. I have the keycard. Would this keycard still
> work if I used a media creation version? I did not install 10 Pro on the
> old laptop with a MIcrosoft account and intend to do that on the new one. I
> am willing to purchase a legitimate vesion of Windows 10 Pro if it is
> available somewhere. We don't need to discuss using Windows 11 because I
> have no interest at this time.
>
> Looking for all suggestions that might help me move from 11 to 10.

I would think, making media with MediaCreationTool, for W10Pro 22H2, would
work fine with your keycard license.

Be aware that Microsoft prefers the schtick of "we don't support new processors
with our old OSes". That's how Win7 got limited to Skylake or so.

The table here does not look particularly evil. As you were suggesting, your
old Flash Stick may not work with the new laptop, because of this table.
Is the Assistant clever enough to figure this out ???

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html

Raptor Lake Windows 10 (22H2, 21H2)

Alder Lake Windows 10 (20H2, 21H1, 21H2) <== perhaps a function of Intel testing
and 22H2 also works... 19041-19045
share a lot in common.

I'm not sure that I agree with their status for the 32-bit version of the OS.
I can't think of a reason that would not load. The newer processors should
still support both kinds of instructions. Only if a motherboard insisted
on "True 64" operating mode, would it break a 32-bit OS. There might have
been one piece of hardware configured that way. I hope that is not more
common than that.

Intel, as a "preference", wants to reduce customer choice. They want to
make "UEFI only" systems, with no CSM capability. Their plan of record is
to remove legacy hardware support at some point. It's pretty hard to remove
32 bit instructions, because 64 bit is an "enhancement" on top of 32 bit,
and I'm not sure all the 32 bit stuff has been recreated in 64 bit
sized instructions. The processor has around a thousand instruction types,
and only about 30% of them are used by modern compilers, so there's already
70% of the instruction set that is not used. All the instructions can be
exercised, if you write in assembler.

Paul

Re: Windows 11 To Windows 10 Pro

<knlr9dFfgbcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74406&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74406

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:26:03 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 17:26 UTC

Paul wrote:
> [...]
> have
> been one piece of hardware configured that way. I hope that is not
> more
> common than that.
>
> Intel, as a "preference", wants to reduce customer choice. They want
> make "UEFI only" systems, with no CSM capability. Their plan of
> record is
> to remove legacy hardware support at some point. It's pretty hard to
> remove 32 bit instructions, because 64 bit is an "enhancement" on top
> of 32 bit,
> and I'm not sure all the 32 bit stuff has been recreated in 64 bit
> sized instructions. The processor has around a thousand instruction
> types,
> and only about 30% of them are used by modern compilers, so there's
> already 70% of the instruction set that is not used. All the

It is a Raptor Lake and I will give this a try. The computer being replace
is running 64bit.

<Bill>

Re: Windows 11 To Windows 10 Pro

<uf6a3o$7s21$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74435&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74435

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 03:49:28 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 10:49 UTC

On 9/28/23 09:12, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> I am finally going to retire my 13 year old laptop. The new laptop comes
> with 11. I intend to save an image of the 11 with Macrium. I want to
> replace it with the Windows 10 Pro. I need to install this before I start
> moving stuff. The WIndows 10 Pro on the old computer is a purchased version
> that came on a small flash drive and I still have all of this. The version
> on the flash is so old it can not be upgraded. I would like to repurpose
> this on the new computer. I have the keycard. Would this keycard still
> work if I used a media creation version? I did not install 10 Pro on the
> old laptop with a MIcrosoft account and intend to do that on the new one. I
> am willing to purchase a legitimate vesion of Windows 10 Pro if it is
> available somewhere. We don't need to discuss using Windows 11 because I
> have no interest at this time.
>
> Looking for all suggestions that might help me move from 11 to 10.

Hi Bill,

Look over this link:

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-downgrade-from-windows-11-to-windows-10

HTH,
-T

Re: Windows 11 To Windows 10 Pro

<knociuFs4qcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74443&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74443

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 08:33:32 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 16:33 UTC

T wrote:
> On 9/28/23 09:12, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>> I am finally going to retire my 13 year old laptop. The new laptop
>> comes with 11. I intend to save an image of the 11 with Macrium. I
>> want to replace it with the Windows 10 Pro. I need to install this
>> before I start moving stuff. The WIndows 10 Pro on the old computer
>> is a purchased version that came on a small flash drive and I still
>> have all of this. The version on the flash is so old it can not be
>> upgraded. I would like to repurpose this on the new computer. I
>> have the keycard. Would this keycard still work if I used a media
>> creation version? I did not install 10 Pro on the old laptop with a
>> MIcrosoft account and intend to do that on the new one. I am
>> willing to purchase a legitimate vesion of Windows 10 Pro if it is
>> available somewhere. We don't need to discuss using Windows 11
>> because I have no interest at this time. Looking for all suggestions that
>> might help me move from 11 to 10.
>

> Hi Bill,
>
> Look over this link:
>
> https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-downgrade-from-windows-11-to-windows-10
>
> HTH,
> -T

This a new computer so there is not roll back available. I do appreciate
that Microsoft recognizes that I am not connected to the internet and every
5 minutes offers to help me connect. What a crazy situation.

<Bill>

Re: Windows 11 To Windows 10 Pro

<uf7q5e$gvv3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74455&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74455

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 17:29:34 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 00:29 UTC

On 9/29/23 09:33, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> T wrote:
>> On 9/28/23 09:12, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>>> I am finally going to retire my 13 year old laptop. The new laptop
>>> comes with 11. I intend to save an image of the 11 with Macrium. I
>>> want to replace it with the Windows 10 Pro. I need to install this
>>> before I start moving stuff. The WIndows 10 Pro on the old computer
>>> is a purchased version that came on a small flash drive and I still
>>> have all of this. The version on the flash is so old it can not be
>>> upgraded. I would like to repurpose this on the new computer. I
>>> have the keycard. Would this keycard still work if I used a media
>>> creation version? I did not install 10 Pro on the old laptop with a
>>> MIcrosoft account and intend to do that on the new one. I am
>>> willing to purchase a legitimate vesion of Windows 10 Pro if it is
>>> available somewhere. We don't need to discuss using Windows 11
>>> because I have no interest at this time. Looking for all suggestions that
>>> might help me move from 11 to 10.
>>

>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> Look over this link:
>>
>> https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-downgrade-from-windows-11-to-windows-10
>>
>> HTH,
>> -T
>
> This a new computer so there is not roll back available. I do appreciate
> that Microsoft recognizes that I am not connected to the internet and every
> 5 minutes offers to help me connect. What a crazy situation.
>
> <Bill>

The link talks about that and what to do.

You probably have to wack and reinstall. You may
need a product key if the W11 key in BIOS won't
work. Or just use no key and forgo the screen
saver and desktop background

Re: Windows 11 To Windows 10 Pro

<ufaihs$17hb0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74476&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74476

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 21:38:02 -0400
 by: ...winston - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 01:38 UTC

T wrote:
> On 9/28/23 09:12, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>> I am finally going to retire my 13 year old laptop.  The new laptop comes
>> with 11.  I intend to save an image of the 11 with Macrium.  I want to
>> replace it with the Windows 10 Pro.  I need to install this before I
>> start
>> moving stuff.  The WIndows 10 Pro on the old computer is a purchased
>> version
>> that came on a small flash drive and I still have all of this.  The
>> version
>> on the flash is so old it can not be upgraded.  I would like to repurpose
>> this on the new computer.  I have the keycard.  Would this keycard still
>> work if I used a media creation version?  I did not install 10 Pro on the
>> old laptop with a MIcrosoft account and intend to do that on the new
>> one.  I
>> am willing to purchase a legitimate vesion of Windows 10 Pro if it is
>> available somewhere.  We don't need to discuss using Windows 11 because I
>> have no interest at this time.
>>
>> Looking for all suggestions that might help me move from 11 to 10.
>

> Hi Bill,
>
> Look over this link:
>
> https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-downgrade-from-windows-11-to-windows-10
>

> HTH,
> -T

Rollback is an OEM only feature and including only if the OEM was
contractually allowed to provide the option and support the option.

Product keys are o/s and edition specific - the exception is going
upward(i.e. upgrading from Home to Pro)
- i.e. a Win10 Pro key can upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro and in some
cases Win11 Home to the Win 11 Pro
A Win11 key doesn't go backwards install or upgrade and earlier o/s
to an earlier o/s edition.

Related - Not all as-built Win11 devices have available Win10 drivers,
though since 10 and 11 share or built on quite a few common system base
code, Windows will provide as many drivers as possible as long as
compatible and supported/included or available via Windows Update.

--

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Windows 11 To Windows 10 Pro