"There are things that are so serious that you can only joke about them" -- Heisenberg

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%

SubjectAuthor
* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
+* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Ed Cryer
|`* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
| `* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%GlowingBlueMist
|  +- Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
|  `* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Philip Herlihy
|   `* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
|    +* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Paul
|    |+* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
|    ||`* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Nobody
|    || `* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
|    ||  `- Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Paul
|    |+- Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
|    |`* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
|    | +- Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
|    | `* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Paul
|    |  `* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
|    |   `* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
|    |    `* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Paul
|    |     `* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
|    |      `* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Paul
|    |       `- Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%...winston
|    `- Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Philip Herlihy
+* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
|`* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Paul
| `- Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
+- Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Paul
`* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Ed Cryer
 `* Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%micky
  `- Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%Paul

Pages:12
Re: Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%

<p3bmhitnrseetvptnkckluilmjib87ul54@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74494&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74494

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%
References: <4p19hihll1fh5s5jo437o3vgchir5ib6j4@4ax.com> <uf22jr$3910q$1@dont-email.me> <4c49hi12lu0dqsha3sa1t4k4v0ar5o8krd@4ax.com> <uf2oov$3ghbd$1@dont-email.me> <MPG.3f7f6eed1b492be9989a87@news.eternal-september.org> <3albhidgv7smlr8468orq4o9kcapofsdol@4ax.com> <uf4qe8$3s3tl$1@dont-email.me> <ptnkhi1l6oqvn1shrmufaej6arrf3l9nca@4ax.com> <ufe4iu$2sssb$1@dont-email.me> <g2vlhip4ud93qju03h8bhssib7bv6pva60@4ax.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 17:42:10 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:42 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 02 Oct 2023 14:56:35 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> If none of the above solutions work, you can try resetting your
>Windows Update components. To do this, open an elevated command prompt
>and run the following commands:
>
> sqlCopy codenet stop bits

This step didn't work because I didn't have sqlcopy. I googled,
downloaded, unzipped, and moved sqlcopy.exe and nothing else to the
Path. Ran it,
in a box with administrative powers,
and got:

*** NOTE: this is an unreleased direct table copy application, please
verify the copy results (i.e. with Database Compare) ***

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
set to an instance of an object.
at SQLCopy.Config.Init()
at SQLCopy.Program.Main(String[] args)

> net stop wuauserv

The Windows Update service is not started. --- no problem
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521

> net stop appidsvc

The Application Identity service is not started. --- no problem
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

C:\Users\admin>NET HELPMSG 3521

The *** service is not started. --- Tricked me.

> net stop cryptsvc

The following services are dependent on the Cryptographic Services
service.
Stopping the Cryptographic Services service will also stop these
services.
AVG Tools
AVG Antivirus
Do you want to continue this operation? (Y/N) [N]: y

The requested pause, continue, or stop, is not valid for this service.
--- Huh? Answers.microsoft said to do this.

> Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Good!

> Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

Access is denied. --- If I can't rename this, that might sabotage the
whole thing.

> net start bits

The BITS service was started successfully.

> net start wuauserv

.... was started successfully.

> net start appidsvc

.... was started successfully.

> net start cryptsvc

.... has already been started. --- Is this why catroots couldn't be
renamed.

Tried to update, after 5 minutes at 20%, went to 100%; after 3 minutes
there, Error encountered. same as before.

Re: Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%

<ufflie$36fgs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74495&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74495

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 20:00:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 00:00 UTC

On 10/2/2023 5:42 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 02 Oct 2023 14:56:35 -0400, micky
> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>

>> If none of the above solutions work, you can try resetting your
>> Windows Update components. To do this, open an elevated command prompt
>> and run the following commands:
>>
>> sqlCopy codenet stop bits
>
> This step didn't work because I didn't have sqlcopy. I googled,
> downloaded, unzipped, and moved sqlcopy.exe and nothing else to the
> Path. Ran it,
> in a box with administrative powers,
> and got:
>
> *** NOTE: this is an unreleased direct table copy application, please
> verify the copy results (i.e. with Database Compare) ***
>
> Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
> set to an instance of an object.
> at SQLCopy.Config.Init()
> at SQLCopy.Program.Main(String[] args)
>
>> net stop wuauserv
>
> The Windows Update service is not started. --- no problem
> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521
>
>> net stop appidsvc
>
> The Application Identity service is not started. --- no problem
> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.
>
> C:\Users\admin>NET HELPMSG 3521
>
> The *** service is not started. --- Tricked me.
>
>> net stop cryptsvc
>
> The following services are dependent on the Cryptographic Services
> service.
> Stopping the Cryptographic Services service will also stop these
> services.
> AVG Tools
> AVG Antivirus
> Do you want to continue this operation? (Y/N) [N]: y
>
> The requested pause, continue, or stop, is not valid for this service.
> --- Huh? Answers.microsoft said to do this.
>
>> Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
>
> Good!
>
>> Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
>
> Access is denied. --- If I can't rename this, that might sabotage the
> whole thing.
>>
>> net start bits
>
> The BITS service was started successfully.
>
>> net start wuauserv
>
> ... was started successfully.
>
>> net start appidsvc
>
> ... was started successfully.
>
>> net start cryptsvc
>
> ... has already been started. --- Is this why catroots couldn't be
> renamed.
>
> Tried to update, after 5 minutes at 20%, went to 100%; after 3 minutes
> there, Error encountered. same as before.

sqlCopy code <=== Is this actually part of the script ????? No.
net stop bits <=== these three words together, make sense
This is the first line of the script (as originally posted)

You don't have to putz with that code, because that script is
in a Troubleshooter. Can you guess which troubleshooter that is ?
Troubleshooters are in Control Panels. Control Panels can be accessed
via Start : Run : control.exe .

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/xdJvf6fB/control-exe-control-panels-troubleshooting-windows-update-W10.gif

It's unclear who invented the script. The script first appeared on a
web page or posted to USENET, and was making the rounds. Later, it
was discovered inside a Troubleshooter, the same code.

This version is augmented, with return code analysis. If you used
archive.org and walked this page backwards, you might find the original
version (looks like yours).

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

The procedure is marginally easier to do from Linux, as there are no permissions
involved, and no third-party antivirus running to foul the results. I'm not proposing
you do that, as I have no idea of your Linux skillz. The only thing that fouls
up an attack from Linux, is NTFS files with New Style Compression, they can't be
accessed. The files you need to work on, I do not think they are protected that way.

I probably have a copy of the original version on the other machine,
but it is basically the same lines as the one you show.

Some troubleshooters on Windows, have been reduced to an onboard EXE file.
Something like "wsreset.exe" for Windows Store Reset. But the Troubleshooters
in Control Panel, could be hiding in a package of their own. It's even possible,
if you have Indexing enabled and are fully indexing the contents of C: , using
lines from the script, in a search, would find the .ps1 module doing it.

In any case, you can do it from a GUI.

However, since your AV is going to interfere, maybe there really is a reason to
hand-edit a .ps1 file in Notepad, to achieve your objective.

With Microsofts sloppy maintenance skill, it's unlikely a lot of stuff
still works properly. The "SetupDiag.exe" utility, for analyzing why
an Upgrade did not work, it does fuck all. This means, the logic no longer
matches the log file structure or something. Yet, they have not corrected their
error. There was also a script that converted an ETW log into a text log
humans could read -- and that was broken for years, without getting fixed.
This is why I cannot express a lot of optimism about the tools you're
using right now. Nobody seems to "own anything" at Microsoft. Nobody
fusses over stuff to make sure it works.

Paul

Re: Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%

<pvbrhit3t5vde6t0oc5tgrrm8vit2j6ipi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74522&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74522

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
References: <4p19hihll1fh5s5jo437o3vgchir5ib6j4@4ax.com> <uf22jr$3910q$1@dont-email.me> <4c49hi12lu0dqsha3sa1t4k4v0ar5o8krd@4ax.com> <uf2oov$3ghbd$1@dont-email.me> <MPG.3f7f6eed1b492be9989a87@news.eternal-september.org> <3albhidgv7smlr8468orq4o9kcapofsdol@4ax.com> <uf4qe8$3s3tl$1@dont-email.me> <ptnkhi1l6oqvn1shrmufaej6arrf3l9nca@4ax.com> <ufe4iu$2sssb$1@dont-email.me> <g2vlhip4ud93qju03h8bhssib7bv6pva60@4ax.com> <p3bmhitnrseetvptnkckluilmjib87ul54@4ax.com> <ufflie$36fgs$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 15:31:10 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 19:31 UTC

Firefox readers who get bored by windows discussions can search for ****
where the FF discussion begins.

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 2 Oct 2023 20:00:12 -0400, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 10/2/2023 5:42 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 02 Oct 2023 14:56:35 -0400, micky
>> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>

>>> If none of the above solutions work, you can try resetting your
>>> Windows Update components. To do this, open an elevated command prompt
>>> and run the following commands:
>>>
>>> sqlCopy codenet stop bits
>>
>> This step didn't work because I didn't have sqlcopy. I googled,
>> downloaded, unzipped, and moved sqlcopy.exe and nothing else to the
>> Path. Ran it,
>> in a box with administrative powers,
>> and got:
>>
>> *** NOTE: this is an unreleased direct table copy application, please
>> verify the copy results (i.e. with Database Compare) ***
>>
>> Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
>> set to an instance of an object.
>> at SQLCopy.Config.Init()
>> at SQLCopy.Program.Main(String[] args)
>>
>>> net stop wuauserv
>>
>> The Windows Update service is not started. --- no problem
>> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521
>>
>>> net stop appidsvc
>>
>> The Application Identity service is not started. --- no problem
>> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.
>>
>> C:\Users\admin>NET HELPMSG 3521
>>
>> The *** service is not started. --- Tricked me.
>>
>>> net stop cryptsvc
>>
>> The following services are dependent on the Cryptographic Services
>> service.
>> Stopping the Cryptographic Services service will also stop these
>> services.
>> AVG Tools
>> AVG Antivirus
>> Do you want to continue this operation? (Y/N) [N]: y
>>
>> The requested pause, continue, or stop, is not valid for this service.
>> --- Huh? Answers.microsoft said to do this.
>>
>>> Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
>>
>> Good!
>>
>>> Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
>>
>> Access is denied. --- If I can't rename this, that might sabotage the
>> whole thing.
>>>
>>> net start bits
>>
>> The BITS service was started successfully.
>>
>>> net start wuauserv
>>
>> ... was started successfully.
>>
>>> net start appidsvc
>>
>> ... was started successfully.
>>
>>> net start cryptsvc
>>
>> ... has already been started. --- Is this why catroots couldn't be
>> renamed.
>>
>> Tried to update, after 5 minutes at 20%, went to 100%; after 3 minutes
>> there, Error encountered. same as before.
>>

>sqlCopy code <=== Is this actually part of the script ????? No.

Well for some reason it's in one of the suggested plans near the bottom
of:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-keep-getting-error-0x8007025d-when-doing/97f5e767-dbdc-4031-b0f9-b6e20348151a

>net stop bits <=== these three words together, make sense
> This is the first line of the script (as originally posted)

The extra step at the beginning couoldn't have caused a problem, could
it? It's just some sort of copy.

>You don't have to putz with that code, because that script is
>in a Troubleshooter. Can you guess which troubleshooter that is ?

I think so.

I think I had run the troubleshooter already, because it's step 3 in
that same answer. But to be sure I ran it after I read your post. it
found a problem in the first section of potential issues, implied that
it fixed it, but then the Update didn't run any better. Stopped at 20%,
eventually went straight to 100%, but gave the same error message and
had not updated winver's version.

>Troubleshooters are in Control Panels. Control Panels can be accessed
>via Start : Run : control.exe .
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/xdJvf6fB/control-exe-control-panels-troubleshooting-windows-update-W10.gif

And I just ran it again and this time it finished very quiekcly saying
Troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem. but in the details it says
"Probem with BITS service: The requested service has already been
started. System.Management.automation.remoteException More help is
avaialble by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

But when I type that, all it says is The requested service has alrady
been started.

*******

I was ready to just skip updates. After all, are they really improving
win10 these days? But then:

I went to https://www.medstarhealth.org/request-an-appointment
and the page was imcomplete.

I tried the same page in my laptop and it made sense, looked complete.

NEVER MIND, NEVER MIND, Never mind. I tried to load it 3 times an hour
ago and even though other pages were working fine, only half this page
loaded. Just now, it all loaded.

So now I'm back to thinking about just skipping updates.

>It's unclear who invented the script. The script first appeared on a
>web page or posted to USENET, and was making the rounds. Later, it
>was discovered inside a Troubleshooter, the same code.
>
>This version is augmented, with return code analysis. If you used
>archive.org and walked this page backwards, you might find the original
>version (looks like yours).
>
> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset-windows-update-windows-10-a.html
>
>The procedure is marginally easier to do from Linux, as there are no permissions
>involved, and no third-party antivirus running to foul the results. I'm not proposing
>you do that, as I have no idea of your Linux skillz. The only thing that fouls

Zero to 10%.

>up an attack from Linux, is NTFS files with New Style Compression, they can't be
>accessed. The files you need to work on, I do not think they are protected that way.
>
>I probably have a copy of the original version on the other machine,
>but it is basically the same lines as the one you show.
>
>Some troubleshooters on Windows, have been reduced to an onboard EXE file.
>Something like "wsreset.exe" for Windows Store Reset. But the Troubleshooters
>in Control Panel, could be hiding in a package of their own. It's even possible,
>if you have Indexing enabled and are fully indexing the contents of C: , using

I never consciously turned on Indexing. Does that mean I don't have
it?

>lines from the script, in a search, would find the .ps1 module doing it.
>
>In any case, you can do it from a GUI.
>
>However, since your AV is going to interfere, maybe there really is a reason to
>hand-edit a .ps1 file in Notepad, to achieve your objective.

Or could I turn off the AV? That's what I did one of the times I
tried to run Update, because the url answer at the top of this post said
to do that.

I ran it after turning off my AVs, and it didn't work.

It asks if I want to stop Cryptographic services even though that will
stop AVG tools and antivirus, and I said Y, and then it said

The requested pause,continue, or stop is not valid for this service. How
can that be? Did they write the script wrong? i don't think so.

Then it asks the same question again -- up to now it's looked a lot like
I did manually -- and this time it says Cannot reset WU since criptsvc
failed to stop
Restart the computer and try again.

And even though I had several things to do it restarted automatyically.
After it instructed me to do it, IT did it. Very bad. If I'd seen
that coming I would have ended the script in the middle. I will take
this part out.

>With Microsofts sloppy maintenance skill, it's unlikely a lot of stuff
>still works properly. The "SetupDiag.exe" utility, for analyzing why
>an Upgrade did not work, it does fuck all. This means, the logic no longer
>matches the log file structure or something. Yet, they have not corrected their
>error. There was also a script that converted an ETW log into a text log
>humans could read -- and that was broken for years, without getting fixed.
>This is why I cannot express a lot of optimism about the tools you're
>using right now. Nobody seems to "own anything" at Microsoft. Nobody
>fusses over stuff to make sure it works.

Maintenance is a pain. "I didn't come to work for microsoft to do
maintenance. I want to do big things."

> Paul

Re: Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%

<ufklka$h5dj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74528&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74528

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:31:52 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:31 UTC

On 10/4/2023 3:31 PM, micky wrote:

> I think I had run the troubleshooter already, because it's step 3 in
> that same answer. But to be sure I ran it after I read your post. it
> found a problem in the first section of potential issues, implied that
> it fixed it, but then the Update didn't run any better. Stopped at 20%,
> eventually went straight to 100%, but gave the same error message and
> had not updated winver's version.
>
> And I just ran it again and this time it finished very quiekcly saying
> Troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem. but in the details it says
> "Probem with BITS service: The requested service has already been
> started. System.Management.automation.remoteException More help is
> avaialble by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.
>
> But when I type that, all it says is The requested service has alrady
> been started.
>
> *******
>
> I was ready to just skip updates. After all, are they really improving
> win10 these days? But then:
>
> I went to https://www.medstarhealth.org/request-an-appointment
> and the page was imcomplete.
>
> I tried the same page in my laptop and it made sense, looked complete.
>
> NEVER MIND, NEVER MIND, Never mind. I tried to load it 3 times an hour
> ago and even though other pages were working fine, only half this page
> loaded. Just now, it all loaded.
>
> So now I'm back to thinking about just skipping updates.
>
> I never consciously turned on Indexing. Does that mean I don't have
> it?
>
> Or could I turn off the AV? That's what I did one of the times I
> tried to run Update, because the url answer at the top of this post said
> to do that.
>
> I ran it after turning off my AVs, and it didn't work.
>
> It asks if I want to stop Cryptographic services even though that will
> stop AVG tools and antivirus, and I said Y, and then it said
>
> The requested pause,continue, or stop is not valid for this service. How
> can that be? Did they write the script wrong? i don't think so.
>
> Then it asks the same question again -- up to now it's looked a lot like
> I did manually -- and this time it says Cannot reset WU since criptsvc
> failed to stop
> Restart the computer and try again.
>
> And even though I had several things to do it restarted automatyically.
> After it instructed me to do it, IT did it. Very bad. If I'd seen
> that coming I would have ended the script in the middle. I will take
> this part out.

Indexing is always on. You use the Search Indexer control panel, to
configure it. It can index a tiny amount of C: (just your Downloads
folder), or with a good deal of playing with it, it could index all but
a few tiny spots on C: .

Then in File Explorer, you could do

ext:ps1 content:"net start bits"

and it would find the file for you. I just used Agent Ransack to do
the same thing. Agent Ransack Free, has limited expressive power, compared
to what you could get out of File Explorer (if File Explorer had a manual).
But most of the time, you can get what you want from Agent Ransack,
and that's what counts.

*******

I don't know what you have against a Repair Install (same version)
or Upgrade Install (use media for 22H2), as that's one way to fix up
a WinSxS. It should not have a heavy reliance on Windows Update, except
it does insist for some reason on "updating stuff" before it begins.
One thing they like to pull in, is the latest graphics driver, but then
typically, they don't seem to use it, then they download the damn driver
again later.

If you disconnect the network cable, and make it do the Upgrade Install
with the mounted ISO or with the DVD, then that controls its table manners
and there might be fewer snags in the process. It does have the ability
to install the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, which is not
particularly accelerated, and that should be enough to finish the install with.

I had a fair amount of trouble getting the Optiplex 780 refurb to update,
and I had to "guess" that it was my graphics adapter that was too old, and
giving it another vid card fixed it. But you can't go around doing maintenance
all the time by "guessing at stuff". You really need the logs and programs
like "SetupDiag.exe" to summarize what is wrong. There is more than one log file.
Stage1 failures, the log file is in a different place than if a failure
occurs on a later stage. There is a web page that has all the details
about the log files.

Paul

Re: Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%

<uflii5$q5rj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74537&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74537

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:45:39 -0400
 by: ...winston - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 05:45 UTC

Paul wrote:
> I don't know what you have against a Repair Install (same version)
> or Upgrade Install (use media for 22H2), as that's one way to fix up
> a WinSxS. It should not have a heavy reliance on Windows Update, except
> it does insist for some reason on "updating stuff" before it begins.
> One thing they like to pull in, is the latest graphics driver, but then
> typically, they don't seem to use it, then they download the damn driver
> again later.

Clean or repair installs reliance on WU necessitates ensuring the latest
SSU is installed(or a supported SSU is included on the media) prior to
installing the 22H2 media version(USB, DVD, ISO).

While installation can proceed without an internet connection, too many
use older created media of the same version, thus its a wise choice let
the installer(with internet connection) retrieve the latest SSU.

--

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Can't update win 10 Pro, stops at 20%