From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Websockets with shell (server implementation)?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 23:13:08 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 21:13 UTC

I am pondering about writing a client/server software with
websockets as communication protocol. The clients will run
in browser as Javascript programs and the server may be in
any (any sensible) programming language running standalone
to be connected remotely by the browser-based JS clients.

Is there a library for (or sample server programs in) shell
that uses websockets for communication?

(Other language suggestions are also welcome; requirements
are a) simple to use, and b) few dependencies.[*] Any hints
and experiences appreciated.)

Janis

[*] I've found for example a simple_websocket_server based
Python code, but I'm lacking Python proficiency to judge
whether that's a good language for such things.

Re: Websockets with shell (server implementation)?

<uhvub4$253gg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=7541&group=comp.unix.shell#7541

From: mortonspam@gmail.com (Ed Morton)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: Websockets with shell (server implementation)?
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 05:40:37 -0500
 by: Ed Morton - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 10:40 UTC

On 10/18/2023 4:13 PM, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> I am pondering about writing a client/server software with
> websockets as communication protocol. The clients will run
> in browser as Javascript programs and the server may be in
> any (any sensible) programming language running standalone
> to be connected remotely by the browser-based JS clients.
>
> Is there a library for (or sample server programs in) shell
> that uses websockets for communication?
>
> (Other language suggestions are also welcome; requirements
> are a) simple to use, and b) few dependencies.[*] Any hints
> and experiences appreciated.)
>
> Janis
>
> [*] I've found for example a simple_websocket_server based
> Python code, but I'm lacking Python proficiency to judge
> whether that's a good language for such things.

FWIW a few years back I found it easy to implement a client/server with
websockets using Go (google Golang) with no previous experience in that
language (it's very C-like and there are websockets packages for it).
The client side was also running Javascript.

Ed.