To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating System.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

SubjectAuthor
* Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/Wally J
+- Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/JJ
+- Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/R.Wieser
`* Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/VanguardLH
 +* Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod forAndy Burns
 |+- Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/R.Wieser
 |`* Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/VanguardLH
 | `- Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod forAndy Burns
 `* Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod forArno Welzel
  `* Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/VanguardLH
   +* Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/Frank Slootweg
   |+- Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod forPaul
   |`* Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod forArno Welzel
   | `- Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/Frank Slootweg
   `- Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod forArno Welzel

1
Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<uhi82o$2ofi7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75341&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75341

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 02:00:56 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 06:00 UTC

Windows: <https://nextcloud.com/install/>
Android: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextcloud.client>

Can one install the NextCloud server on Windows & the client on Android
_without_ also needing Docker crapware & WSL as this tutorial requires?
<https://nextcloud.com/blog/your-guide-to-the-nextcloud-all-in-one-on-windows-10-11/>
--
The whole point of Usenet is to find people who know more than you do.
And to contribute to the overall tribal knowledge value of the newsgroup.

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<1es5jgainsthm$.g3mwc1ywmip9$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75344&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75344

From: jj4public@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 16:43:40 +0700
 by: JJ - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 09:43 UTC

On Sat, 28 Oct 2023 02:00:56 -0400, Wally J wrote:
> Windows: <https://nextcloud.com/install/>
> Android: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextcloud.client>
>
> Can one install the NextCloud server on Windows & the client on Android
> _without_ also needing Docker crapware & WSL as this tutorial requires?
> <https://nextcloud.com/blog/your-guide-to-the-nextcloud-all-in-one-on-windows-10-11/>

By its name, if it's store the data remotely, I'd rather not.

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<uhinm6$2r61n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75345&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75345

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 12:27:07 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 10:27 UTC

"Wally",

> Can one install the NextCloud server on Windows & the client on Android
> _without_ also needing Docker crapware & WSL as this tutorial requires?
> <https://nextcloud.com/blog/your-guide-to-the-nextcloud-all-in-one-on-windows-10-11/>

Rather likely.

....But as long as you keep looking at that **ALL-IN-ONE** tutorial (you
posted the link of) you'll never find it.

> The whole point of Usenet is to find people who know more than you do.

Not to me - although in that case you might get the easiest answers.

An exchange of information with others having a similar level of knowledge
you do (perhaps even having a bit of a discussion about the different sets
of knowledge and the viewpoints thereof) can be rather helpfull to. The
other(s) might see something you have overlooked.

> And to contribute to the overall tribal knowledge value of the newsgroup.

Obvious answers to certain questions are obvious. Than again, some people
might just overlook those :

America and Russia went into space and needed something to write down notes
onto "paper" with.

The first spend untold millions on a "ballpoint" pen which could write in
the absense of gravity. The latter just used a lead pencil.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<12is2u82rwx3s.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75358&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75358

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 22:13:39 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 03:13 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> Windows: <https://nextcloud.com/install/>
> Android: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextcloud.client>
>
> Can one install the NextCloud server on Windows & the client on Android
> _without_ also needing Docker crapware & WSL as this tutorial requires?
> <https://nextcloud.com/blog/your-guide-to-the-nextcloud-all-in-one-on-windows-10-11/>

Yet another cloud service trying to engender revenue.

I already have Google Drive: 1 GB used out of 15 GB over many years of
use.

I already have OneDrive: 1.1 GB used out of 15 GB over even more years
of use. I got grandfathered in at 15 GB before Microsoft castrated new
and old account down to 5 GB.

I have a Dropbox account. 2 GB quota (free). Only use it to transfer
files, but that is rare, and then only with other Dropbox users via
sharing.

I am far from exhausting my cloud file storage, so no need to pay
someone (NextCloud) for more cloud storage that I won't use.

https://nextcloud.com/Pricing/

Doesn't appear geared for personal use. More for corporate use. The
home version lets you do self-hosting; i.e., you can run your own
NextCloud server in your intranetwork. I don't need that. I already
have sync and backups to protect my files. When I get another host,
I'll setup sFTP with sync to keep local copies of my files, but I'll
leave the cloud sync in place.

Since my calendaring app shows calendars from multiple accounts
(Microsoft, Google), not sure why I would need to sync them which likely
would result in duplicates.

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<kq6dt1Ftbo1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75360&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75360

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for
contacts/calendar/
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 06:54:26 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 06:54 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> Wally J wrote:
>
>> Windows: <https://nextcloud.com/install/>
>> Android: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextcloud.client>
>
> Yet another cloud service trying to engender revenue.

I think people are misunderstanding owncloud/nextcloud

It's not some faceless corporate providing cloud services it is *you*
providing your own storage/sync/caldav/webdav in a cloud fashion.

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<uhl12r$3p193$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75362&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75362

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 08:19:45 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 07:19 UTC

Andy,

>> Yet another cloud service trying to engender revenue.
>
> I think people are misunderstanding owncloud/nextcloud
> it is *you* providing your own storage/sync/caldav/webdav in a cloud
> fashion

No, he knows alright :

[quote=Vanguard]
The home version lets you do self-hosting; i.e., you can run your own
NextCloud server in your intranetwork.
[quote]

He's just not letting it* stop him from ranting.

* even though its exactly what the OP posted he wants to do.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<kq77thF547cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75369&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75369

From: usenet@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
contacts/calendar/
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:18:25 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 14:18 UTC

VanguardLH, 2023-10-29 04:13:

> Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>> Windows: <https://nextcloud.com/install/>
>> Android: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextcloud.client>
>>
>> Can one install the NextCloud server on Windows & the client on Android
>> _without_ also needing Docker crapware & WSL as this tutorial requires?
>> <https://nextcloud.com/blog/your-guide-to-the-nextcloud-all-in-one-on-windows-10-11/>
>
> Yet another cloud service trying to engender revenue.

Nope. You can just download Nextcloud as software and run it on your own
server.

[...]
> I am far from exhausting my cloud file storage, so no need to pay
> someone (NextCloud) for more cloud storage that I won't use.

And I run Nextcloud on my own server with about 1 TB of storage and I
sync everything on my mobile devices with it: calendar, address book,
backups of a number of apps, photos and videos I take with the device
and so on.

> https://nextcloud.com/Pricing/
>
> Doesn't appear geared for personal use. More for corporate use. The
[...]

That's why it is called "Nextcloud Enterprise".

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<sluveguvrdye$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75459&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75459

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 01:26:15 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 06:26 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Wally J wrote:
>>
>>> Windows: <https://nextcloud.com/install/>
>>> Android: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextcloud.client>
>>
>> Yet another cloud service trying to engender revenue.
>
> I think people are misunderstanding owncloud/nextcloud
>
> It's not some faceless corporate providing cloud services it is *you*
> providing your own storage/sync/caldav/webdav in a cloud fashion.

That app the OP pointed at is obviously not a server program running on
a networked server host. It's just an Android app to run on a phone.
Perhaps the Android app can be configured to connect to your own
NextCloud server. The app is not a complete solution. You need to
setup their server in your network
(https://nextcloud.com/install/#instructions-server), or pay someone
that hosts a NextCloud server. Their app description says "It is fully
open source and you can host it yourself or pay a company to do it for
you."

You know of highly reliable and trustworthy NextCloud providers that let
you use their server for free? The NextCloud server is licensed, and it
has a yearly subscription fee. Someone would have to run the server,
and then be altruistic to let you use it for free while consuming what
bandwidth they have to their host. You don't want to be trusting an
unknown provider perhaps running the NextCloud server on their personal
desktop in their basement. Not where you want to trust uploading your
files. If you run your own server, there is still a yearly subscription
fee.

It could be *you* running your own NextCloud server while paying the
annual subscription fee. It could be someone else you pay to use their
NextCloud server assuming you trust them.

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<9xdqq7kc0dkf$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75460&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75460

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 01:45:39 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 06:45 UTC

Arno Welzel <usenet@arnowelzel.de> wrote:

> VanguardLH, 2023-10-29 04:13:
>
>> Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>>
>>> Windows: <https://nextcloud.com/install/>
>>> Android: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextcloud.client>
>>>
>>> Can one install the NextCloud server on Windows & the client on Android
>>> _without_ also needing Docker crapware & WSL as this tutorial requires?
>>> <https://nextcloud.com/blog/your-guide-to-the-nextcloud-all-in-one-on-windows-10-11/>
>>
>> Yet another cloud service trying to engender revenue.
>
> Nope. You can just download Nextcloud as software and run it on your own
> server.
>
> [...]
>> I am far from exhausting my cloud file storage, so no need to pay
>> someone (NextCloud) for more cloud storage that I won't use.
>
> And I run Nextcloud on my own server with about 1 TB of storage and I
> sync everything on my mobile devices with it: calendar, address book,
> backups of a number of apps, photos and videos I take with the device
> and so on.
>
>> https://nextcloud.com/Pricing/
>>
>> Doesn't appear geared for personal use. More for corporate use. The
> [...]
>
> That's why it is called "Nextcloud Enterprise".

Ah, yes, NextCloud for Home appears to be free. No subscription fee.

Alas, if you check your ISP's TOS, you'll likely find it's a violation
to run your own publicly accessible server on your own network. To be
usable with mobile phones, or file sync elsewhere, you'll need Intranet
access to the server running in your own network. If you pay more for a
business service tier with your ISP, yep, then it's probably okay with
them to run public servers on your network. For example:

https://www.xfinity.com/corporate/customers/policies/highspeedinternetaup
Technical Restrictions
- use or run dedicated, stand-alone equipment or servers from the
Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone
outside of your Premises local area network (“Premises LAN”), also
commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of
prohibited equipment and servers include, but are not limited to,
email, web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;

Comcast has a monthly cap of 1 TB on their customers. You have to pay
an additional $10/month to get rid of the cap. Sounds like a big cap,
except you end up using Internet when watching 3rd-party apps on cable
TV along with your desktops and laptops consuming bandwidth, and then
add it running your own server whether NextCloud or sFTP for file
transfers. I haven't looked into Comcast Business to see what, if any
caps that service tier imposes.

Your ISP can easily see how much incoming Internet traffic goes to your
network, and differentiate between what was initiated by clients at your
end (e.g., newsreaders, e-mail clients, web browsers) versus traffic
initiated by connection requests outside your network to your hosts.
You need to ensure you don't violate your ISP's TOS, or caps on your
service tier with them.

Do they have a comparison page anywhere showing what features are
missing or crippled in the Home edition versus the Enterprise edition?

Their link to the self-hosting server is:

https://nextcloud.com/install/#instructions-server

but I don't see a download for the server software, unless its the
content under "Community Projects". Under 1-click signup, you get to
use their server with a cap of 2 GB. Same quota I get with a Dropbox
free account; however, Nextcloud has some more features, yet file
transfers are the same function.

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<kqjlc2Fu92uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75461&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75461

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
contacts/calendar/
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 07:21:41 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 07:21 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> It could beyou running your own NextCloud server while paying the
> annual subscription fee. It could be someone else you pay to use their
> NextCloud server assuming you trust them.

It could be you running the community edition, on your own server,
without paying a subscription fee, if you feel confident to do that.

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<ui37ra.174s.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75464&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75464

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Date: 3 Nov 2023 15:41:55 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 15:41 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
[...]

> Ah, yes, NextCloud for Home appears to be free. No subscription fee.
>
> Alas, if you check your ISP's TOS, you'll likely find it's a violation
> to run your own publicly accessible server on your own network. To be
> usable with mobile phones, or file sync elsewhere, you'll need Intranet
> access to the server running in your own network. If you pay more for a
> business service tier with your ISP, yep, then it's probably okay with
> them to run public servers on your network. For example:
>
> https://www.xfinity.com/corporate/customers/policies/highspeedinternetaup
> Technical Restrictions
> - use or run dedicated, stand-alone equipment or servers from the
> Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone
> outside of your Premises local area network (?Premises LAN?), also
> commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of
> prohibited equipment and servers include, but are not limited to,
> email, web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;

See the term "public" in your reference. This is not public use, but
private use of a private server.

Anyway, nearly every NAS on the planet offers a similar server/
service. For example one of WD's NAS products is even called 'MyCloud'.

Bottom line: A non issue.

[...]

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<ui3ddd$2sq4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75465&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75465

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
contacts/calendar/
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:16:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 18:16 UTC

On 11/3/2023 11:41 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Ah, yes, NextCloud for Home appears to be free. No subscription fee.
>>
>> Alas, if you check your ISP's TOS, you'll likely find it's a violation
>> to run your own publicly accessible server on your own network. To be
>> usable with mobile phones, or file sync elsewhere, you'll need Intranet
>> access to the server running in your own network. If you pay more for a
>> business service tier with your ISP, yep, then it's probably okay with
>> them to run public servers on your network. For example:
>>
>> https://www.xfinity.com/corporate/customers/policies/highspeedinternetaup
>> Technical Restrictions
>> - use or run dedicated, stand-alone equipment or servers from the
>> Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone
>> outside of your Premises local area network (?Premises LAN?), also
>> commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of
>> prohibited equipment and servers include, but are not limited to,
>> email, web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;
>
> See the term "public" in your reference. This is not public use, but
> private use of a private server.
>
> Anyway, nearly every NAS on the planet offers a similar server/
> service. For example one of WD's NAS products is even called 'MyCloud'.
>
> Bottom line: A non issue.
>
> [...]

There are differences, because the *security* on some of them is just dreadful.

That's why, if you do currently own a NAS, you should run the model number
and see how many CVEs are out there.

You have to do your background reading, before you get that NAS.

https://www.opencve.io/cve?vendor=westerndigital&product=my_cloud

Paul

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<kqkt7oF6hhkU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75467&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75467

From: usenet@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
contacts/calendar/
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 19:42:01 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 18:42 UTC

VanguardLH, 2023-11-03 07:45:

> Arno Welzel <usenet@arnowelzel.de> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH, 2023-10-29 04:13:
[...]
>>> https://nextcloud.com/Pricing/
>>>
>>> Doesn't appear geared for personal use. More for corporate use. The
>> [...]
>>
>> That's why it is called "Nextcloud Enterprise".
>
> Ah, yes, NextCloud for Home appears to be free. No subscription fee.

It is *not* "NextCloud for Home" - it's just "Nextcloud"! There is no
"home" version!

Nextcloud is *alway* exactly the same version! If you download Nextcloud
to host it on your own server you get the same software which is used
for "Enterprise". You just don't get technical support by an employee of
the company which maintains Nextcloud. But you can use all the features
like file sharing, addressbook, calendar, office in the browser using
Nextcloud Office, video calls with Nextcloud talk, full text search
using an ElasticSearch server as backend and so on.

However you have to maintain and keep the the server up to date on your
own of course and not everybody has the time or technical knowledge to
do so and will instead use Nextcloud as paid service.

> Alas, if you check your ISP's TOS, you'll likely find it's a violation
> to run your own publicly accessible server on your own network. To be

Then you need to rent a server. Suitable servers to run Nextcloud on
just to do file sync, calendars and addressbooks are available from
20-30 USD per month - and then you are not limited to only 1 user but
can share this with your family and friends as well.

> Their link to the self-hosting server is:
>
> https://nextcloud.com/install/#instructions-server
>
> but I don't see a download for the server software, unless its the
> content under "Community Projects". Under 1-click signup, you get to

There is a clearly visible "DOWNLOAD SERVER" section with multiple options.

> use their server with a cap of 2 GB. Same quota I get with a Dropbox
> free account; however, Nextcloud has some more features, yet file
> transfers are the same function.

You can use the "Archive" which contains everything you need to extract
to the webroot of the server on which Nextcloud should run. However you
then need to understand how to install the webserver, PHP, database and
so on.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<kqkt9eF6hhkU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75468&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75468

From: usenet@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
contacts/calendar/
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 19:42:55 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 18:42 UTC

Frank Slootweg, 2023-11-03 16:41:

[...]
> Anyway, nearly every NAS on the planet offers a similar server/
> service. For example one of WD's NAS products is even called 'MyCloud'.

Also with CalDAV/CardDAV and support for apps like DAVx5?

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/

<ui3nc4.17rs.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75470&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75470

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Date: 3 Nov 2023 20:06:41 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 20:06 UTC

Arno Welzel <usenet@arnowelzel.de> wrote:
> Frank Slootweg, 2023-11-03 16:41:
>
> [...]
> > Anyway, nearly every NAS on the planet offers a similar server/
> > service. For example one of WD's NAS products is even called 'MyCloud'.
>
> Also with CalDAV/CardDAV and support for apps like DAVx5?

That's all Greek to me! :-)

But seriously, (AFAICT) the main-thread/OP was about *file* access -
which all NAS offer - and - in the part you snipped - I was only
commenting on VanguardLH's point that using a personal NextCloud server
might be against to TOS of your ISP (which it isn't if you use it for
private use, not public access).

So all in all, by snipping too much, your question is out of context.

BUT, to answer your question: For my (Synology) NAS, there's a CardDAV
server package and a CalDAV server package.

If you're interested, you'll need to check the WD and other NAS
manufacturer sites to see what they offer.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Have you installed NextCloud on Windows & Andriod for contacts/calendar/