She sells cshs by the cshore.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBill Bradshaw
+* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerCarlos E. R.
|`* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerPaul
| `- Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerWally J
+- Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerVanguardLH
+- Windows 10 Pro, New Computer...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
+* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBill Bradshaw
|+* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerVanguardLH
||`- Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBill Bradshaw
|`* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerJoerg Walther
| +* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBig Al
| |+- Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBill Bradshaw
| |`* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBill Bradshaw
| | `- Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBig Al
| `- Windows 10 Pro, New Computerwasbit
+* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBill Bradshaw
|`* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerPaul
| `* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBill Bradshaw
|  `* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerPaul
|   +- Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBill Bradshaw
|   `* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBill Bradshaw
|    `* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerPaul
|     `- Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBill Bradshaw
`* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerFrank Slootweg
 `* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerAndy Burns
  `* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerPaul
   +* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerBill Bradshaw
   |`- Windows 10 Pro, New Computer...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
   `* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerCarlos E. R.
    `* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerPaul
     `* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerCarlos E. R.
      `* Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerPaul
       `- Windows 10 Pro, New ComputerCarlos E. R.

Pages:12
Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<kr79viFinl2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75538&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75538

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 09:09:53 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:09 UTC

So after 13 years I purchased a new computer. It comes with an i9-13950HX
CPU, 32 GB DDR5 Memory, NVMe Drive, and RTX 4060. A lot of times I feel it
is slower than my old 13 year 2 core computer. I did get rid of the swap
file which helped a little. But at times I still see a little rotating
circle when starting programs. I thought programs would pop up but they
don't. So there has to be something I need to reset. So I am assuming all
of you have overcome this rotating circle issue because I do not hear any
complaints about it.
---
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<kr7abfFiavdU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75540&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75540

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 19:16:15 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:16 UTC

On 2023-11-10 19:09, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> So after 13 years I purchased a new computer. It comes with an i9-13950HX
> CPU, 32 GB DDR5 Memory, NVMe Drive, and RTX 4060. A lot of times I feel it
> is slower than my old 13 year 2 core computer. I did get rid of the swap
> file which helped a little. But at times I still see a little rotating
> circle when starting programs. I thought programs would pop up but they
> don't. So there has to be something I need to reset. So I am assuming all
> of you have overcome this rotating circle issue because I do not hear any
> complaints about it.

I don't know, but I would suggest you mention brand and model; perhaps
someone knows that this brand puts some mandatory tool that slows the
machine.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<1kn5bn8emjvh6$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75544&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75544

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 12:49:25 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:49 UTC

Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:

> So after 13 years I purchased a new computer. It comes with an
> i9-13950HX CPU, 32 GB DDR5 Memory, NVMe Drive, and RTX 4060. A lot
> of times I feel it is slower than my old 13 year 2 core computer. I
> did get rid of the swap file which helped a little. But at times I
> still see a little rotating circle when starting programs. I thought
> programs would pop up but they don't. So there has to be something I
> need to reset. So I am assuming all of you have overcome this
> rotating circle issue because I do not hear any complaints about it.

Removing the swap file (pagefile) is not recommended. Some programs
expect to use pagefile space, like games that preload objects and
textures into the pagefile which is faster to access than from the
drive. If there is no pagefile, but a program wants to allocate some,
it will get a fail on allocation, and how the program handles no
pagefile access depends on how the program was coded.

Have you tried booting Windows 10 into its safe mode with networking (if
needed) to eliminate all those startup programs and non-critical
services to test for continued slowdown?

Tried getting rid of the glitz?
System Properties (sysdm.cpl) -> Advanced tab -> Performance, Adjust for
best performance. The only ones I left enabled there were:

Enable Peek
Show shadows under mouse pointer
Show shadows under windows
Show thumbnails instead of icons
Show translucent selection rectangle
Show windows contents when dragging
Smooth edges of screen fonts
Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

You sure the CPU fan is spinning? If the CPU gets overheated, it will
self-throttle to slow its speed to cool down. Also ensure no cables,
especially any ribbon cables, are not blocking airflow from the fan.

Some folks apply way too much thermal paste between the CPU and
heatsink. Metal-to-metal contact has the highest thermal conductivity,
so some folks, me included, lap the CPU cover plate and heatsink for the
best metal-to-metal contact. Thermal paste is still need, but paste has
a lower thermal conductivity than metal yet better than air. A thin
layer of paste should be applied to remove any air gaps. None should
ooze out the sides when the heatsink is clamped onto the CPU, plus the
heatsink should be rotated when pressed against the CPU to evenly spread
the paste.

Are the BIOS performance speed settings set to use the Optimal profile,
a different profile, or to use custom settings? Likely Optimal is best
overall. Don't overclock unless you understand the ramifications,
reduced stability, and faster burnout (electronics don't like heat).

For the NVMe SSD drive, did you follow any instructions in the manual
about sharing the port with any SSD ports? You want to ensure the m.2
port for NVMe drive is not shared. You didn't mention which mobo you
have, so no way for anyone else to look up its specs and config.

If this was a pre-built computer instead of you jobbing the box, you
could take it back to the store to tell them that performance is dismal,
hint at the above suggestions, and either get them to get it fixed or
refund it to go back to your old computer. No idea what is your old
computer. When I job my own, I build for an expected lifespan of 8
years, so I spend extra beyond the current-day specs to get more
performance that lasts while the pre-builts catch up to mine. My old
computer runs better than most pre-builts for many years, so I'm not
impelled to get a new setup for a long time. Old can outperform new for
many years if old was overtly designed to be much faster at the start.

No mention what OS was on the old computer, too. Later versions of
Windows keep getting more and more bloat. That old OS may have better
trimmed than a default new OS setup. Perhaps you had Windows XP on the
old computer with lots of years of trimming to pare down to needed
services and startup programs versus getting a default setup of Windows
10 on the new computer with every conceivable service and startup
program Microsoft, the computer vendor, or computer shop wanted to push
on you.

> ---
> <Bill>
>
> Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

The proper signature delimiter line is dash-dash-space-newline, not
dash-dash-dash-space-newline. 2 dashes, not 3.

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<uilv2p$2vj2p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75545&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75545

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 12:08:07 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 19:08 UTC

Bill Bradshaw wrote on 11/10/23 11:09 AM:
> So after 13 years I purchased a new computer. It comes with an i9-13950HX
> CPU, 32 GB DDR5 Memory, NVMe Drive, and RTX 4060. A lot of times I feel it
> is slower than my old 13 year 2 core computer. I did get rid of the swap
> file which helped a little. But at times I still see a little rotating
> circle when starting programs. I thought programs would pop up but they
> don't. So there has to be something I need to reset. So I am assuming all
> of you have overcome this rotating circle issue because I do not hear any
> complaints about it.
> ---
> <Bill>
>
> Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Could be a variety of OEM as-shipped enabled startup items.

Look in Settings/Apps/Startup
- on this Win11 Pro device I've only three items enabled
Microsoft Defender, Windows Security notfication icon, and Intel
Graphics Command Center

Optionally, if CCleaner is installed look in
CCleaners/Tools/Startup
- fyi you might see more items enabled at startup than shown in Windows
Settings/Apps/Startup

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<uilv8q$2vkgt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75546&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75546

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 14:11:21 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 19:11 UTC

On 11/10/2023 1:16 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-11-10 19:09, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>> So after 13 years I purchased a new computer.  It comes with an i9-13950HX
>> CPU, 32 GB DDR5 Memory, NVMe Drive, and RTX 4060.  A lot of times I feel it
>> is slower than my old 13 year 2 core computer.  I did get rid of the swap
>> file which helped a little.  But at times I still see a little rotating
>> circle when starting programs.  I thought programs would pop up but they
>> don't.  So there has to be something I need to reset.  So I am assuming all
>> of you have overcome this rotating circle issue because I do not hear any
>> complaints about it.
>
> I don't know, but I would suggest you mention brand and model; perhaps someone knows that this brand puts some mandatory tool that slows the machine.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/232149/intel-core-i9-13950hx-processor-36m-cache-up-to-5-50-ghz.html

Vertical Segment Mobile

Total Cores 24
# of Performance-cores 8
# of Efficient-cores 16
Total Threads 32

Frequency: 2.2 GHz <=== hmmm
Turbo Clock: up to 5.5 GHz
E-Core: 1600 MHz <=== hmmm (Windows might well be leaning on these...)
Frequency: up to 4 GHz

As a Mobile part, I would look at the Power scheme selected.

But an experience I had in the past, you may also need a well-featured
BIOS for control. Sometimes the windows Power scheme isn't enough. For example,
as a test, turn off the Efficiency cores and just run on the Power cores.
If still not enough horsepower is evident, it's time to switch off EIST or SpeedStep
or whatever it's called this week. This will cause the CPU to run at 2.2GHz
without dropping lower, and it will still be able to Turbo (because you
haven't turned off Turbo).

I think I might even have needed to turn off some C-state support
in the BIOS as well. If you beat on it enough, it will finally
keep the clocks a bit higher.

Keep records of the present settings (or the defaults), so you can
return the setting as things turn out during test.

It could also be overheating and throttling. For example,
it's a refurb and a vent is blocked and needs a cleaning.
For a new machine, an overheat could be caused by an assembly
error (no screened thermal paste), but I doubt that some how.
Or maybe the fan cable isn't plugged in.

I don't know these days what Intel offers for desktop utilities,
but you need something a tiny bit better than CPU-Z to watch
activities. CPU-Z would track the clock on Core 0, but it does not
show all the other cores and how they're being treated. This is still
an excellent utility, I'm not throwing shade on the design. You can
learn a lot about the basic setup. But just a bit more tracking
of all the cores would help.

# This is an inoffensive installable application for basic hardware identification

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

# This is Intels Steampunk Engine for its CPU. You will be using this for monitoring,
# not to make adjustments (which might not even be available).
# The supported processor list at the bottom, there is an invisible scroll bar
# and if you scroll down far enough, your CPU is supported.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

# Pictures of XTU

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-XTU-Undervolting-Guide.272120.0.html

Paul

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<uim9ck$31nag$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75555&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75555

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:04:04 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 22:04 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote

> I don't know these days what Intel offers for desktop utilities,
> but you need something a tiny bit better than CPU-Z to watch
> activities.

To help out...

I just took the time to make this screenshot to show the OP
(and to leverage to anyone else who needs it) some of the nice
free software utilities which will diagnose performance issues.

Here's what I use to assess the performance of the Windows system.
<https://i.postimg.cc/XJ9rTy96/hw-menu.jpg> Windows diagnostic tools
(Most of those free apps were suggested by Paul & others on this ng.)
--
There are two kinds of people on this newsgroup, where one kind is here
for their own amusement while the other type tries to kindly help others.

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<kr9ubpF3egeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75582&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75582

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 09:09:59 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 18:09 UTC

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> So after 13 years I purchased a new computer. It comes with an
> i9-13950HX CPU, 32 GB DDR5 Memory, NVMe Drive, and RTX 4060. A lot
> of times I feel it is slower than my old 13 year 2 core computer. I
> did get rid of the swap file which helped a little. But at times I
> still see a little rotating circle when starting programs. I thought
> programs would pop up but they don't. So there has to be something I
> need to reset. So I am assuming all of you have overcome this
> rotating circle issue because I do not hear any complaints about it.
> ---
> <Bill>
>
> Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

I am basically going to answer through myself. It is an MSI Raider GE68HX
13VF computer I purchased at Costco. PC Mags review was okay but for the
144Mhz IPS screen. The screen is fine for me and I believe it is not the
problem. It does have 5 different operating settings including extreme
performance. I have everything off but the 2 smoothing items in sysdm.cpl.
Checked ccleaner startup and nothing looks out of place. The issue is not
during the startup of the computer but when I start programs.

Maybe I need to run the computer at the 5 different setting and see how this
affects performance. Right now I am on extreme. What program(s) would you
recommend and what should I be looking for?
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<kra0ebF3qmeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75583&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75583

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 09:45:30 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 18:45 UTC

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> So after 13 years I purchased a new computer. It comes with an
> i9-13950HX CPU, 32 GB DDR5 Memory, NVMe Drive, and RTX 4060. A lot
> of times I feel it is slower than my old 13 year 2 core computer. I
> did get rid of the swap file which helped a little. But at times I
> still see a little rotating circle when starting programs. I thought
> programs would pop up but they don't. So there has to be something I
> need to reset. So I am assuming all of you have overcome this
> rotating circle issue because I do not hear any complaints about it.
> ---
> <Bill>
>
> Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

System Review: https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/msi-raider-ge68hx-13vf

I paid $1,399.99.

<Bill>

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<1ws2z6isdlsux.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75592&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75592

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:34:28 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 20:34 UTC

Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:

> Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>> So after 13 years I purchased a new computer. It comes with an
>> i9-13950HX CPU, 32 GB DDR5 Memory, NVMe Drive, and RTX 4060. A lot
>> of times I feel it is slower than my old 13 year 2 core computer. I
>> did get rid of the swap file which helped a little. But at times I
>> still see a little rotating circle when starting programs. I thought
>> programs would pop up but they don't. So there has to be something I
>> need to reset. So I am assuming all of you have overcome this
>> rotating circle issue because I do not hear any complaints about it.
>> ---
>> <Bill>
>>
>> Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska
>
> I am basically going to answer through myself. It is an MSI Raider
> GE68HX 13VF computer I purchased at Costco. PC Mags review was okay
> but for the 144Mhz IPS screen. The screen is fine for me and I
> believe it is not the problem. It does have 5 different operating
> settings including extreme performance. I have everything off but
> the 2 smoothing items in sysdm.cpl. Checked ccleaner startup and
> nothing looks out of place. The issue is not during the startup of
> the computer but when I start programs.
>
> Maybe I need to run the computer at the 5 different setting and see
> how this affects performance. Right now I am on extreme. What
> program(s) would you recommend and what should I be looking for?

Was any anti-malware installed (other than Windows Defender)?

Their manual sucks as it was written for boobs. No info on BIOS
settings.

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/nb/MS-15M1_MS-15M2_v1.1_English_GE.pdf

Are "extreme" and "performance" the only choices for presets in BIOS
performance settings? You said there were 5 settings. What are they
called?

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<uip43a$3me6a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75600&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75600

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 18:52:09 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 23:52 UTC

On 11/11/2023 1:45 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>> So after 13 years I purchased a new computer. It comes with an
>> i9-13950HX CPU, 32 GB DDR5 Memory, NVMe Drive, and RTX 4060. A lot
>> of times I feel it is slower than my old 13 year 2 core computer. I
>> did get rid of the swap file which helped a little. But at times I
>> still see a little rotating circle when starting programs. I thought
>> programs would pop up but they don't. So there has to be something I
>> need to reset. So I am assuming all of you have overcome this
>> rotating circle issue because I do not hear any complaints about it.
>> ---
>> <Bill>
>>
>> Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska
>
> System Review: https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/msi-raider-ge68hx-13vf
>
> I paid $1,399.99.
>
> <Bill>

AC Adapter
(option 1)
1 x 330W, 19.5V # This might be for one of the more expensive SKUs in the series
Input: 100-240V~, 50/60Hz
Output: 19.5V , 16.9A

AC Adapter
(option 2)
1 x 280W, 20V
Input: 100-240V~, 50/60Hz
Output: 20V , 14A

Battery 4-cell # 99Wh. Puts my laptop to shame.

Which adapter did it come with ?

Some computers "behave differently" depending on the adapter.
(They have an extra pin on the power connector, for ID purposes.)

For a minute there, I thought the machine came with two adapters
(there are such machines), but, it only uses one of the above.

Some gaming laptops, when they come with two adapters,
with both adapters plugged in, if you play a game, not
only does it use all adapter power, it actually *drains the battery*.
The most powerful devices of this type, don't have sufficient
power for continuous gaming.

Since it is made by MSI, the BIOS will not be an Insyde BIOS with
a grand total of one setting. It is bound to have more power/state
settings as a result. It should have closer to a motherboard BIOS.

And it has a cooling system. It has an extended back porch, plus two blowers
by the looks of it. You can still monitor the temperature though, because
it might still decide to throttle.

This is mine, showing the monitoring application I use. Not all that
impressive, as it's hit the power limit and the clock isn't getting
all that close to 5GHz. It's already "yesterdays news" :-) Sometimes
you can squeeze a little extra out of these, with an augmented
cooling system.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/pLsp6jgm/Install-Ryzen-Master-To-Watch-Params.gif

Load up the Intel utility (equivalent to that), and you can have a
look at its power sipping behavior (which is ruining your benches).

I just used the 7ZIP benchmark utility, to busy the cores. A lot of times,
doing actual compression runs, it doesn't fully occupy all the cores. And
I've increased the number of cores on 7ZIP compression runs, one core
at a time, and the hyperthreading behavior can only be described as "funky".
It makes me want to turn Hyperthreading off. Jim Keller was commenting the
other day, how "the CPU-Z benchmark isn't very good". My reply to that would
be "OK, show the product wowing me doing ordinary stuff, and we'll talk".
For a design which is symmetric (no P & E cores like yours), it has way
too many peculiarities. You expect these things to eventually starve
for RAM bandwidth, which is why one of my benches was purpose-assembled
to be core limited, and there should be hardly any RAM accesses while
it runs. If you compress a 20GB all-zeros file, the dictionaries for
each thread don't grow, and all the dictionaries stay in cache. If I
compress 20 GB of random numbers, I get the expected lethargic compression
rate, and that is perfectly correct. It is then beating the piss out of
RAM, and the cores are going to block waiting for RAM access to become
available.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/L6hWjw6p/Zen3-Power-Numbers.gif

Paul

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<3c91litttvtktmcabbho93b08f38dq08ch@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75609&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75609

From: joerg.walther@gmail.com (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 11:17:14 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 10:17 UTC

Bill Bradshaw wrote:

>The issue is not
>during the startup of the computer but when I start programs.

That sounds exactly like the issue I had about ten years back when the
SSD in my new PC went faulty after a couple of days and had to be
replaced. Get yourself an SSD benchmark program, run it and compare it
to how fast your SSD actually is supposed to be. I used AS SSD
benchmark, apparently it is still available.

-jw-

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<uiqqor$4s04$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75625&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75625

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 10:25:15 -0500
 by: Big Al - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 15:25 UTC

On 11/12/23 05:17 AM, this is what Joerg Walther wrote:
> Get yourself an SSD benchmark program, run it and compare it
> to how fast your SSD actually is supposed to be. I used AS SSD
> benchmark, apparently it is still available.
I've always used CrystalDiskMark for Windows
https://crystaldiskmark.en.softonic.com/
or from the horse's mouth
https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<krcigpFhhefU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75631&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75631

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 09:06:16 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 18:06 UTC

Paul wrote:
> [...]
> be "OK, show the product wowing me doing ordinary stuff, and we'll
> talk".
> For a design which is symmetric (no P & E cores like yours), it has
> way
> too many peculiarities. You expect these things to eventually starve
> for RAM bandwidth, which is why one of my benches was
> purpose-assembled
> to be core limited, and there should be hardly any RAM accesses while
> it runs. If you compress a 20GB all-zeros file, the dictionaries for
> each thread don't grow, and all the dictionaries stay in cache. If I
> compress 20 GB of random numbers, I get the expected lethargic
> compression
> rate, and that is perfectly correct. It is then beating the piss out
> of
> RAM, and the cores are going to block waiting for RAM access to become

It comes with the 280 Watt adaptor (big & heavy). In the BIOS you only get
2 power settings but through the MSI Control Center you can set Extreme
Performance, Balanced, Silent, Super Battery, and User. I am pretty sure it
works because if I set it to Super Battery all the lighting goes off. One
thing I would like to do would be see at what speed and temperature the CPU
is operating at under each of these setting. But I have not had time to
look for a program that might do this. Can you think of one? I am starting
to be patient with the computer.

<Bill>

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<krciorFhikoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75632&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75632

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 09:10:34 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 18:10 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:
>
>> Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>>> So after 13 years I purchased a new computer. It comes with an
>>> i9-13950HX CPU, 32 GB DDR5 Memory, NVMe Drive, and RTX 4060. A lot
>>> of times I feel it is slower than my old 13 year 2 core computer. I
>>> did get rid of the swap file which helped a little. But at times I
>>> still see a little rotating circle when starting programs. I
>>> thought programs would pop up but they don't. So there has to be
>>> something I need to reset. So I am assuming all of you have
>>> overcome this rotating circle issue because I do not hear any
>>> complaints about it. ---
>>> <Bill>
>>>
>>> Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska
>>
>> I am basically going to answer through myself. It is an MSI Raider
>> GE68HX 13VF computer I purchased at Costco. PC Mags review was okay
>> but for the 144Mhz IPS screen. The screen is fine for me and I
>> believe it is not the problem. It does have 5 different operating
>> settings including extreme performance. I have everything off but
>> the 2 smoothing items in sysdm.cpl. Checked ccleaner startup and
>> nothing looks out of place. The issue is not during the startup of
>> the computer but when I start programs.
>>
>> Maybe I need to run the computer at the 5 different setting and see
>> how this affects performance. Right now I am on extreme. What
>> program(s) would you recommend and what should I be looking for?
>
> Was any anti-malware installed (other than Windows Defender)?
>
> Their manual sucks as it was written for boobs. No info on BIOS
> settings.
>
> https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/nb/MS-15M1_MS-15M2_v1.1_English_GE.pdf
>
> Are "extreme" and "performance" the only choices for presets in BIOS
> performance settings? You said there were 5 settings. What are they
> called?

In the BIOS you only get 2 power settings but through the MSI Control Center
you can set Extreme
Performance, Balanced, Silent, Super Battery, and User. I am pretty sure it
works because if I set it
to Super Battery all the lighting goes off.

I agree on the manual. They do not even cover the keyboard combinations. I
guess they expect you learn by testing.

<Bill>

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<krcj11FhjqcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75633&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75633

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 09:14:56 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 18:14 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> On 11/12/23 05:17 AM, this is what Joerg Walther wrote:
>> Get yourself an SSD benchmark program, run it and compare it
>> to how fast your SSD actually is supposed to be. I used AS SSD
>> benchmark, apparently it is still available.
> I've always used CrystalDiskMark for Windows
> https://crystaldiskmark.en.softonic.com/
> or from the horse's mouth
> https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

I downloaded CrystalDiskMark and will test later today.

<Bill>

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<uirob3$9d3a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75640&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75640

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 18:49:55 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 23:49 UTC

On 11/12/2023 1:06 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
One
> thing I would like to do would be see at what speed and temperature the CPU
> is operating at under each of these setting. But I have not had time to
> look for a program that might do this. Can you think of one? I am starting
> to be patient with the computer.
>
> <Bill>

I posted a link to XTU.

# You will be using this for monitoring,
# not to make adjustments (which might not even be available).
# The supported processor list at the bottom of the web page,
# there is an invisible scroll bar and if you scroll down far enough,
# your CPU is in the supported list.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

# Pictures of XTU

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-XTU-Undervolting-Guide.272120.0.html

Paul

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<uisrp3$jqc8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75646&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75646

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 09:54:41 +0000
 by: wasbit - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 09:54 UTC

On 12/11/2023 10:17, Joerg Walther wrote:
> Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>
>> The issue is not
>> during the startup of the computer but when I start programs.
>
> That sounds exactly like the issue I had about ten years back when the
> SSD in my new PC went faulty after a couple of days and had to be
> replaced. Get yourself an SSD benchmark program, run it and compare it
> to how fast your SSD actually is supposed to be. I used AS SSD
> benchmark, apparently it is still available.

AS SSD Benchmark is available from the author's website but I couldn't
get the English page to show anything.

-
https://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/infusions/downloads/downloads.php?lang=German

However it is available from other download sites, eg,
- https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/as_ssd_benchmark.html

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<uit88q.ha0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75647&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75647

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 13 Nov 2023 12:28:07 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 12:28 UTC

Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:
> So after 13 years I purchased a new computer. It comes with an i9-13950HX
> CPU, 32 GB DDR5 Memory, NVMe Drive, and RTX 4060. A lot of times I feel it
> is slower than my old 13 year 2 core computer. I did get rid of the swap
> file which helped a little. But at times I still see a little rotating
> circle when starting programs. I thought programs would pop up but they
> don't. So there has to be something I need to reset. So I am assuming all
> of you have overcome this rotating circle issue because I do not hear any
> complaints about it.

After reading the responses, I've really nothing to add/suggest, but
just a few questions.

Why Windows 10 on a new computer (instead of Windows 11)?

Windows 10 has only a little less than 2 years of support to go (until
October 14, 2025).

*What* are these programs which take such a long time to start?

Yours seems to be a rather powerful machine, so these must be some
very resource hungry programs.

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<krejb9FopjiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75648&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75648

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 12:32:40 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 12:32 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Why Windows 10 on a new computer (instead of Windows 11)?

That was my initial thought (but I decided not to voice it for no
particular reason).

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<uita92$m3ei$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75649&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75649

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 09:02:09 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 14:02 UTC

On 11/13/2023 7:32 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
>> Why Windows 10 on a new computer (instead of Windows 11)?
>
> That was my initial thought (but I decided not to voice it for no particular reason).

Simple. Two OSes for the price of one. You can upgrade
any time from W10 to W11.

There is no particular rush at the moment.

You can lock the version, with this. It sets three or four
registry entries for you. "winver.exe" gives you some idea
what level you're at now.

https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm

Paul

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<krf2blFrdaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75650&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75650

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 07:48:52 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 16:48 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 11/12/2023 1:06 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> One
>> thing I would like to do would be see at what speed and temperature
>> the CPU is operating at under each of these setting. But I have not
>> had time to look for a program that might do this. Can you think of
>> one? I am starting to be patient with the computer.
>>
>> <Bill>
>
> I posted a link to XTU.
>
> # You will be using this for monitoring,
> # not to make adjustments (which might not even be available).
> # The supported processor list at the bottom of the web page,
> # there is an invisible scroll bar and if you scroll down far
> enough, # your CPU is in the supported list.
>

> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html
>
> # Pictures of XTU
>

> https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-XTU-Undervolting-Guide.272120.0.html
>
> Paul

I did not see my chip supported which is why I did not download. It does
test "HX" chips and I have now downloaded it. Will be interested to see the
results.

<Bill>

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<krf2hiFsg5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75651&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75651

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 07:52:00 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 16:52 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 11/13/2023 7:32 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>
>>> Why Windows 10 on a new computer (instead of Windows 11)?
>>
>> That was my initial thought (but I decided not to voice it for no
>> particular reason).
>
> Simple. Two OSes for the price of one. You can upgrade
> any time from W10 to W11.
>
> There is no particular rush at the moment.
>
> You can lock the version, with this. It sets three or four
> registry entries for you. "winver.exe" gives you some idea
> what level you're at now.
>
> https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm
>
> Paul

I also assumed when I am forced to upgrade to 11 I will get the pro version.
I paid $200 for this and I will be damned if I am going to pay for 11 Pro.

<Bill>

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<krfirmF3q5aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75659&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75659

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 12:30:29 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 21:30 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> On 11/12/23 05:17 AM, this is what Joerg Walther wrote:
>> Get yourself an SSD benchmark program, run it and compare it
>> to how fast your SSD actually is supposed to be. I used AS SSD
>> benchmark, apparently it is still available.
> I've always used CrystalDiskMark for Windows
> https://crystaldiskmark.en.softonic.com/
> or from the horse's mouth
> https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

Results:

CrystalDiskMark 8.0.4 x64 (C) 2007-2021 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World:
https://crystalmark.info/
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

[Read]
SEQ 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 4696.218 MB/s [ 4478.7 IOPS] < 1784.97 us>
RND 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 2869.758 MB/s [ 700624.5 IOPS] < 729.17 us>

[Write]
SEQ 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 3636.186 MB/s [ 3467.7 IOPS] < 2300.23 us>
RND 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 2755.450 MB/s [ 672717.3 IOPS] < 760.23 us>

Profile: Peak
Test: 1 GiB (x5) [C: 66% (71/107GiB)]
Mode: [Admin]
Time: Measure 5 sec / Interval 5 sec
Date: 2023/11/13 9:21:24
OS: Windows 10 Professional [10.0 Build 19045] (x64)

Micron Specs:

SeqRead: 4,500
SeqWrite: 3,600

So it appears the NVMe Micron 2400-MTF is working properly.

At least that has been confirmed.

Thanks for your help.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<uiu5g8$t6sa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75662&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75662

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 16:46:48 -0500
 by: Big Al - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 21:46 UTC

On 11/13/23 04:30 PM, this is what Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>> On 11/12/23 05:17 AM, this is what Joerg Walther wrote:
>>> Get yourself an SSD benchmark program, run it and compare it
>>> to how fast your SSD actually is supposed to be. I used AS SSD
>>> benchmark, apparently it is still available.
>> I've always used CrystalDiskMark for Windows
>> https://crystaldiskmark.en.softonic.com/
>> or from the horse's mouth
>> https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/
>
> Results:

> CrystalDiskMark 8.0.4 x64 (C) 2007-2021 hiyohiyo
> Crystal Dew World:
> https://crystalmark.info/
> * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
> * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes
>
> [Read]
> SEQ 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 4696.218 MB/s [ 4478.7 IOPS] < 1784.97 us>
> RND 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 2869.758 MB/s [ 700624.5 IOPS] < 729.17 us>
>
> [Write]
> SEQ 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 3636.186 MB/s [ 3467.7 IOPS] < 2300.23 us>
> RND 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 2755.450 MB/s [ 672717.3 IOPS] < 760.23 us>
>
> Profile: Peak
> Test: 1 GiB (x5) [C: 66% (71/107GiB)]
> Mode: [Admin]
> Time: Measure 5 sec / Interval 5 sec
> Date: 2023/11/13 9:21:24
> OS: Windows 10 Professional [10.0 Build 19045] (x64)
>
> Micron Specs:
>
> SeqRead: 4,500
> SeqWrite: 3,600
>
> So it appears the NVMe Micron 2400-MTF is working properly.
>
> At least that has been confirmed.
>
> Thanks for your help.
Looks pretty dead on to me.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Windows 10 Pro, New Computer

<uivbr7$15q78$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75672&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75672

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 01:41:09 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 08:41 UTC

Bill Bradshaw wrote on 11/13/23 9:52 AM:
> Paul wrote:

>>> That was my initial thought (but I decided not to voice it for no
>>> particular reason).
>>
>> Simple. Two OSes for the price of one. You can upgrade
>> any time from W10 to W11.
>>
>> There is no particular rush at the moment.
>>
>> You can lock the version, with this. It sets three or four
>> registry entries for you. "winver.exe" gives you some idea
>> what level you're at now.
>>
>> https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm
>>
>> Paul
>
> I also assumed when I am forced to upgrade to 11 I will get the pro version.
> I paid $200 for this and I will be damned if I am going to pay for 11 Pro.
>
> <Bill>

Upgrade from Win10 Pro to Win11 Pro is free, just another quick upgrade
since many of the core system files while not common like
22H2-22H1(Win10) or 23H2-22H2(Win11) are even with file version/build
number difference the same.

--