Killing is stupid; useless! -- McCoy, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videos while watching on Widnows 10?

SubjectAuthor
* How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videos while watching onCharlie
+- How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videosAndy Burns
+* How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videosrdh
|`* How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videosAdam H. Kerman
| `- How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videosrdh
`- How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videos while watching onJoerg Walther

1
How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videos while watching on Widnows 10?

<uitv32$20df$1@neodome.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75654&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75654

From: charlie@nospam.com (Charlie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Subject: How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videos while watching on Widnows 10?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 12:57:22 -0700
 by: Charlie - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 19:57 UTC

Do they get paid when I skip the video in Firefox that Google inserts?

What I do the instant a video pops up is I kill the sound with a click.
And I wait for the required five seconds or so and then click "skip."
Then in Firefox, I click the sound button back on to watch the video.

Of course I want the YouTube creator to make his money.
But there's no way I'm ever going to listen to or watch an ad in Firefox.

Only recently, I heard they don't get paid unless you watch the video.
The video, of course, is much longer than the point at which you can skip.

So I don't know if Google knows I tapped the "sound" button but they know I
hit the "skip" button well before the video was scheduled to have finished.

Does the YouTube content creator still get paid when I do that in Firefox?
Is there a better way to not see Google-inserted advertisements in Firefox?
Is there another free Windows program that doesn't show ads than Firefox?

Re: How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videos while watching on Widnows 10?

<krfdpqF2pk7U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75655&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75655

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videos
while watching on Widnows 10?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 20:04:10 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 20:04 UTC

Charlie wrote:

> Is there a better way to not see Google-inserted advertisements in Firefox?

If you subscribe to YouTube Premium, you don't get ads, they get paid
anyway, if they have "baked-in" sponsor segments, I just skip those.

Re: How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videos while watching on Widnows 10?

<ZBM4N.5879$gg_1.1678@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75690&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75690

while watching on Widnows 10?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
From: rdh@tilde.institute (rdh)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 09:44:57 -0600
 by: rdh - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 15:44 UTC

The creators you like won't get paid, but if you use uBlock Origin,
Google's inserted ads do not play at all. You can also use SponsorBlock
to automatically skip the ads that the creator inserted.

If you feel guilty about this, check if the creators you like have a
Patreon or other means of tipping them, and pay them yourself. Or watch
the ads.

Re: How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videos while watching on Widnows 10?

<uj06or$19to2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75692&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75692

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
while watching on Widnows 10?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:20:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:20 UTC

rdh <rdh@tilde.institute> wrote:

>The creators you like won't . . .

Would it really kill you to quote enough of the precursor article so
that your remarks in followup are in context? Usenet has been around for
44 years now. How do users still not get how to post a conventional
followup?

Re: How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videos while watching on Widnows 10?

<vm77lihrchb3nijt3uh749o5s3a7tn6em5@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75693&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75693

From: joerg.walther@gmail.com (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 17:23:37 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:23 UTC

Charlie wrote:

>What I do the instant a video pops up is I kill the sound with a click.
>And I wait for the required five seconds or so and then click "skip."
>Then in Firefox, I click the sound button back on to watch the video.

You can also get rid of YT all ads with the following addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/sponsorblock/

-jw-

Re: How does a YouTube channel creator get paid when I skip videos while watching on Widnows 10?

<CvQ4N.37990$yvY5.4735@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75703&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75703

while watching on Widnows 10?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
From: rdh@tilde.institute (rdh)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 14:11:14 -0600
 by: rdh - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 20:11 UTC

On 11/14/23 10:20, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> rdh <rdh@tilde.institute> wrote:
>
>> The creators you like won't . . .
>
> Would it really kill you to quote enough of the precursor article so
> that your remarks in followup are in context? Usenet has been around for
> 44 years now. How do users still not get how to post a conventional
> followup?

All the context you needed was in the subject line. Get over it, gramps.