Vulcans believe peace should not depend on force. -- Amanda, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.3

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / OT Digital picture frame

SubjectAuthor
* OT Digital picture frameGraham J
+- OT Digital picture frameHerbert Kleebauer
+* OT Digital picture framePaul
|`* OT Digital picture frameCarlos E. R.
| `* OT Digital picture framePaul
|  +- OT Digital picture frameCarlos E. R.
|  `* OT Digital picture framePaul in Houston TX
|   `* OT Digital picture framePaul
|    +- OT Digital picture frameCarlos E. R.
|    `- OT Digital picture frameAndy Burns
`- OT Digital picture framePeter Johnson

1
OT Digital picture frame

<ujltjf$1gh9i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75869&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75869

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: OT Digital picture frame
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:58:49 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:58 UTC

Has anybody bought one recently and can make a recomendation, please?
It would need to capture photos from an Android phone.

Easily usable by a completely non-technical user.

--
Graham J

Re: OT Digital picture frame

<ujm0g8$1h1em$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75871&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75871

From: klee@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: OT Digital picture frame
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 23:48:38 +0100
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 22:48 UTC

On 22.11.2023 22:58, Graham J wrote:

> Has anybody bought one recently and can make a recomendation, please?
> It would need to capture photos from an Android phone.
>
> Easily usable by a completely non-technical user.

Most digital picture frames are big waste of energy. Why display
a picture when nobody looks at it? And if you power on it
only if somebody looks at it, then you better use a phone, tablet
or PC to display the pictures.

The only exception (but with poor color quality):

https://www.waveshare.com/photopainter.htm
https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/PhotoPainter
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005547336322.html

Re: OT Digital picture frame

<ujmdql$1iq2c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75873&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75873

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:36:04 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 02:36 UTC

On 11/22/2023 4:58 PM, Graham J wrote:
> Has anybody bought one recently and can make a recomendation, please? It would need to capture photos from an Android phone.
>
> Easily usable by a completely non-technical user.

As you go upscale, they turn into full fledged computers.

So naturally, a non-technical user is going to get caught
in the headlights.

In the user comments, a user mentioned uploading 166 photos
to this thing, and then it will only rotate a 50-picture set.
Which completely negates the idea of having a "giant memory"
on the unit, if you have to constantly fiddle with it, to
see your photo collection.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Picture-Frame-15-Inch-Large/dp/B0C6Q5YG9W

The stupid things should come with an SDK and a copy of
"C programming for Dummies" :-)

I'd tell you to "buy a monitor plus an RPi Zero and
write your own code", but that would be mean. It's
a matter of "the hardware is fine, the firmware,
not so much". Which is just as true of my new refrigerator,
as it is of these picture frames. The next time I buy
a refrigerator, I'm "going to ask for source code".

*******

The largest photo frames, come from TV companies.

"Art Mode: TV when it's on, Art when it's off"

https://www.samsung.com/ca/lifestyle-tvs/the-frame/ls03b-65-inch-the-frame-qled-4k-smart-tv-black-qn65ls03bafxzc/

There are what appear to be user manuals,
at the bottom of that web page.

Paul

Re: OT Digital picture frame

<ks9mgmF9qfaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75900&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75900

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 20:12:22 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 19:12 UTC

On 2023-11-23 03:36, Paul wrote:
> On 11/22/2023 4:58 PM, Graham J wrote:
>> Has anybody bought one recently and can make a recomendation, please? It would need to capture photos from an Android phone.
>>
>> Easily usable by a completely non-technical user.
>
> As you go upscale, they turn into full fledged computers.
>
> So naturally, a non-technical user is going to get caught
> in the headlights.
>
> In the user comments, a user mentioned uploading 166 photos
> to this thing, and then it will only rotate a 50-picture set.
> Which completely negates the idea of having a "giant memory"
> on the unit, if you have to constantly fiddle with it, to
> see your photo collection.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Picture-Frame-15-Inch-Large/dp/B0C6Q5YG9W
>
> The stupid things should come with an SDK and a copy of
> "C programming for Dummies" :-)

GULPS :-(

> I'd tell you to "buy a monitor plus an RPi Zero and
> write your own code", but that would be mean. It's
> a matter of "the hardware is fine, the firmware,
> not so much". Which is just as true of my new refrigerator,
> as it is of these picture frames. The next time I buy
> a refrigerator, I'm "going to ask for source code".

:-DD

> *******
>
> The largest photo frames, come from TV companies.
>
> "Art Mode: TV when it's on, Art when it's off"
>
> https://www.samsung.com/ca/lifestyle-tvs/the-frame/ls03b-65-inch-the-frame-qled-4k-smart-tv-black-qn65ls03bafxzc/
>
> There are what appear to be user manuals,
> at the bottom of that web page.

A 65" picture frame gobbles a lots of watts.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: OT Digital picture frame

<ujp601$26i1j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75903&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75903

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 22:40:48 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 03:40 UTC

On 11/23/2023 2:12 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-11-23 03:36, Paul wrote:
>> On 11/22/2023 4:58 PM, Graham J wrote:
>>> Has anybody bought one recently and can make a recomendation, please? It would need to capture photos from an Android phone.
>>>
>>> Easily usable by a completely non-technical user.
>>
>> As you go upscale, they turn into full fledged computers.
>>
>> So naturally, a non-technical user is going to get caught
>> in the headlights.
>>
>> In the user comments, a user mentioned uploading 166 photos
>> to this thing, and then it will only rotate a 50-picture set.
>> Which completely negates the idea of having a "giant memory"
>> on the unit, if you have to constantly fiddle with it, to
>> see your photo collection.
>>
>>     https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Picture-Frame-15-Inch-Large/dp/B0C6Q5YG9W
>>
>> The stupid things should come with an SDK and a copy of
>> "C programming for Dummies" :-)
>
> GULPS :-(
>

>> I'd tell you to "buy a monitor plus an RPi Zero and
>> write your own code", but that would be mean. It's
>> a matter of "the hardware is fine, the firmware,
>> not so much". Which is just as true of my new refrigerator,
>> as it is of these picture frames. The next time I buy
>> a refrigerator, I'm "going to ask for source code".
>
> :-DD
>

>> *******
>>
>> The largest photo frames, come from TV companies.
>>
>> "Art Mode:  TV when it's on, Art when it's off"
>>
>> https://www.samsung.com/ca/lifestyle-tvs/the-frame/ls03b-65-inch-the-frame-qled-4k-smart-tv-black-qn65ls03bafxzc/
>>
>> There are what appear to be user manuals,
>> at the bottom of that web page.
>
> A 65" picture frame gobbles a lots of watts.

This is Swahili for "I turn off the Art Display
when no one is in the room". It has sensors.
It can also eavesdrop, record things it is not supposed
to hear, and so on. You can tell from the product spec,
the thing is a "tech fortress". I'm pretty sure it has
an accelerometer and a humidity sensor :-) It knows what
you ate for lunch.

Power & Eco Solution

Eco Sensor Yes
Power Supply AC 110-120V 50/60Hz
Power Consumption (Max) 215 W
Power Consumption (Typical) 90 W
Power Consumption (Stand-by) 0.5 W
Auto Power Off Yes
Auto Power Saving Yes

It is a bit like some SmartPhones, which are laden with junk.

Sound Output (RMS) 40 W

Yowza. Makes you wonder where the speakers are. Soundbar ?

Paul

Re: OT Digital picture frame

<ksbemuFq31hU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75907&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75907

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 12:11:26 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 11:11 UTC

On 2023-11-24 04:40, Paul wrote:
> On 11/23/2023 2:12 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2023-11-23 03:36, Paul wrote:

>>> *******
>>>
>>> The largest photo frames, come from TV companies.
>>>
>>> "Art Mode:  TV when it's on, Art when it's off"
>>>
>>> https://www.samsung.com/ca/lifestyle-tvs/the-frame/ls03b-65-inch-the-frame-qled-4k-smart-tv-black-qn65ls03bafxzc/
>>>
>>> There are what appear to be user manuals,
>>> at the bottom of that web page.
>>
>> A 65" picture frame gobbles a lots of watts.
>>

> This is Swahili for "I turn off the Art Display
> when no one is in the room". It has sensors.
> It can also eavesdrop, record things it is not supposed
> to hear, and so on. You can tell from the product spec,
> the thing is a "tech fortress". I'm pretty sure it has
> an accelerometer and a humidity sensor :-) It knows what
> you ate for lunch.

Heh :-D

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: OT Digital picture frame

<9rf1mihqdsqo4q7jdfp82hidn0lhgvsej2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75908&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75908

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 15:32:12 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 15:32 UTC

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:58:49 +0000, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
wrote:

>Has anybody bought one recently and can make a recomendation, please?
>It would need to capture photos from an Android phone.
>
>Easily usable by a completely non-technical user.

I'm on my second Nixplay (https://www.nixplay.com/) frame.
Users upload pics onto their websire and it downloads them to the
frame via internet and local wifi or they can be emailed or
transferred from the user's social media accounts.
Mine has capacity for 2000 images, rotated at random, and has a motion
sensor so that it turns off if there's no one about.
(Designed to be given to aged parents and grandparents &c [1] and
operated remotely by offspring or great-offspring who live a long way
away to keep them uptodate with family happenings.)

[1] Who are deemed to be incapable of coping with tech.

Re: OT Digital picture frame

<ujr97i$2g7q7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75920&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75920

From: Paul@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 16:48:01 -0600
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 22:48 UTC

Paul wrote:

> Power & Eco Solution
>
> Eco Sensor Yes
> Power Supply AC 110-120V 50/60Hz
> Power Consumption (Max) 215 W
> Power Consumption (Typical) 90 W
> Power Consumption (Stand-by) 0.5 W
> Auto Power Off Yes
> Auto Power Saving Yes
>
> It is a bit like some SmartPhones, which are laden with junk.
>
> Sound Output (RMS) 40 W
>
> Yowza. Makes you wonder where the speakers are. Soundbar ?
>
> Paul

That is a lot of power draw.
It probably functions as a space heater, too.

Re: OT Digital picture frame

<ujrltb$2lli4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75936&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75936

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 21:24:42 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 02:24 UTC

On 11/24/2023 5:48 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>>
>> Power & Eco Solution
>>
>>      Eco Sensor  Yes
>>      Power Supply  AC 110-120V 50/60Hz
>>      Power Consumption (Max)            215 W
>>      Power Consumption (Typical)        90 W
>>      Power Consumption (Stand-by)       0.5 W
>>      Auto Power Off                     Yes
>>      Auto Power Saving                  Yes
>>
>> It is a bit like some SmartPhones, which are laden with junk.
>>
>>      Sound Output (RMS)                 40 W
>>
>> Yowza. Makes you wonder where the speakers are. Soundbar ?
>>
>>     Paul
>
> That is a lot of power draw.
> It probably functions as a space heater, too.

It's 120Hz capable. It would probably convert your movie to 120Hz for
you and make it "silky smooth", all while heating the room.
I wonder how you cool such a flat device and dissipate
215 watts. Hmmm.

The other thing I didn't show you, was there is an accessory
for the device, that rotates the entire panel on the wall.
So that if something requires "viewing in portrait", the
device rotates for best effect. No corny ideas were rejected
at the product planning session.

Paul

Re: OT Digital picture frame

<ksd5rjF6880U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75939&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75939

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 03:52:35 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 02:52 UTC

On 2023-11-25 03:24, Paul wrote:
> On 11/24/2023 5:48 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>>
>>> Power & Eco Solution
>>>
>>>      Eco Sensor  Yes
>>>      Power Supply  AC 110-120V 50/60Hz
>>>      Power Consumption (Max)            215 W
>>>      Power Consumption (Typical)        90 W
>>>      Power Consumption (Stand-by)       0.5 W
>>>      Auto Power Off                     Yes
>>>      Auto Power Saving                  Yes
>>>
>>> It is a bit like some SmartPhones, which are laden with junk.
>>>
>>>      Sound Output (RMS)                 40 W
>>>
>>> Yowza. Makes you wonder where the speakers are. Soundbar ?
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>
>> That is a lot of power draw.
>> It probably functions as a space heater, too.
>>

> It's 120Hz capable. It would probably convert your movie to 120Hz for
> you and make it "silky smooth", all while heating the room.
> I wonder how you cool such a flat device and dissipate
> 215 watts. Hmmm.

Dissipate 300 watts is not an issue on a thing that is 60 inches plus in
diagonal, even if it is wrapped in wool insulation ;-p

> The other thing I didn't show you, was there is an accessory
> for the device, that rotates the entire panel on the wall.
> So that if something requires "viewing in portrait", the
> device rotates for best effect. No corny ideas were rejected
> at the product planning session.

:-DD

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: OT Digital picture frame

<ksdqslFdsgrU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75945&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75945

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 08:51:32 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 08:51 UTC

Paul wrote:

> It's 120Hz capable. It would probably convert your movie to 120Hz for
> you and make it "silky smooth", all while heating the room.
> I wonder how you cool such a flat device and dissipate
> 215 watts.

Don't know about that model in particular, but some of the "picture
frame" TVs have a single flat cable feeding power and processed image to
the screen, and an external "brick" containing PSU/tuner/processor and
all the input sockets

Actually yes, Samsung call the brick a "one connect box" here's one
pictured with a human for scale

<https://www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/what-is-the-samsung-one-connect-box.html>

The current model is 330 x 292 x 41 mm