Writing software is more fun than working.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: (Solved) Print Driver Fails to Install

SubjectAuthor
* Print Driver Fails to InstallBoris
+* Print Driver Fails to InstallStan Brown
|`* Print Driver Fails to InstallBoris
| `- Print Driver Fails to InstallWally J
+- Print Driver Fails to InstallPaul
+- Print Driver Fails to InstallBill
+- Print Driver Fails to InstallVanguardLH
`* (Solved) Print Driver Fails to InstallBoris
 `- (Solved) Print Driver Fails to InstallBoris

1
Print Driver Fails to Install

<XnsB0A5C238B326ABorisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75214&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75214

From: Boris@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Print Driver Fails to Install
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 02:05:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 02:05 UTC

Windows 10 Home, 22H2

This Canon printer driver keeps failing to install. I don't need it, and
it's been failing since it first tried to install on August 8, 2023.

How can I stop it from continuing to try to install?

https://postimg.cc/grkf4Xjw

Thanks.

Re: Print Driver Fails to Install

<MPG.3f9f81955c6b59c9901eb@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75217&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75217

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Print Driver Fails to Install
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 20:00:10 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 03:00 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 02:05:33 -0000 (UTC), Boris wrote:

> Windows 10 Home, 22H2
>
> This Canon printer driver keeps failing to install. I don't need it, and
> it's been failing since it first tried to install on August 8, 2023.
>
> How can I stop it from continuing to try to install?
>
> https://postimg.cc/grkf4Xjw

Have you tried looking up the error number? That might give you an
idea.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Print Driver Fails to Install

<XnsB0A5CCAD3B0B7Borisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75218&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75218

From: Boris@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 03:07:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 03:07 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 02:05:33 -0000 (UTC), Boris wrote:
>>
>> Windows 10 Home, 22H2
>>
>> This Canon printer driver keeps failing to install. I don't need it,
>> and it's been failing since it first tried to install on August 8,
>> 2023.
>>
>> How can I stop it from continuing to try to install?
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/grkf4Xjw
>
> Have you tried looking up the error number? That might give you an
> idea.

Yes, I have, and it's not informative.

Re: Print Driver Fails to Install

<uh4v6p$2umkq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75220&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75220

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 01:09:44 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 05:09 UTC

Boris <Boris@invalid.invalid> wrote

>>> How can I stop it from continuing to try to install?
>>>
>>> https://postimg.cc/grkf4Xjw
>>
>> Have you tried looking up the error number? That might give you an
>> idea.
>>

> Yes, I have, and it's not informative.

There may be other options on comp.periphs.printers perhaps?
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.periphs.printers>

There may be a solution with SUMO/DUMO also.
<https://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo>
<https://www.kcsoftwares.com/?dumo>

One might be to find any driver that "thinks" it's the right driver, and
then maybe Windows will stop trying to update it, perhaps???
<http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx>

From my archives, here's how to use that site.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166>

For example, here's the legacy driver I always have issues installing.
<http://www.easydriverpro.com/driver-update/printers/hp/laserjet-2100/laserjet-2100-windows-10.html>

BTW, to download Sumo/Dumo, I think you'd better hurry based on this
<https://www.kcsoftwares.com/?buy>
Termination notice
KC Softwares activities are to be terminated by end of October 2023.
All products are to be considered as End-Of-Life (EOL) on October 31st 2023.
Sales are stopped.

SUMo
DUMo
IDPhotoStudio
VideoInspector
KCleaner
HDDExpert
RAMExpert
BATExpert
PortExpert
dot11Expert
MassCert
Startup Sentinel
Zer0
AudioGrail
PhotoToFilm
AVIToolbox
ApHeMo
K-ML
KFK
Ignition
Vampix
K-Mail (Active-X)
K-FTP (Active-X)
etc.
--
It's almost worthless to solve a problem and only help one person doing it.
So I added the printer and freeware newsgroups, both of which are archived.

Re: Print Driver Fails to Install

<uh5d19$31guq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75227&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75227

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 05:05:44 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:05 UTC

On 10/22/2023 10:05 PM, Boris wrote:
> Windows 10 Home, 22H2
>
> This Canon printer driver keeps failing to install. I don't need it, and
> it's been failing since it first tried to install on August 8, 2023.
>
> How can I stop it from continuing to try to install?
>
> https://postimg.cc/grkf4Xjw
>
> Thanks.

The error is a bit deceptive, because I think something is
looking for the item in the Registry (ENUM tree) and so on.

0x800F020B -2146500085 SPAPI_E_No_Such_Devinst The device instance does not exist

"The device instance does not exist in the hardware tree."

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-windows-update-error-0x800f020b

"Before moving forward, it is recommended that you make sure
that the device on which the update is to be installed is
connected perfectly."

*******

Reinstall the Canon printer driver, using the optical media in the box.
This will put a device instance in the device tree for you. Follow
the instructions in the box, regarding when to plug the working printer in.
Some driver installs require "device unplugged", others require "device plugged in"
so the PNP can be detected.

If the driver is in the Programs and Features control panel

Start : Run : control.exe

then you could see if it has a "repair" option as well as "uninstall".
Perhaps repairing it, would then allow the WU incoming, to work.

I checked my Canon driver on the Windows 7 install, and it does not
have a Repair option, so the last suggestion is unlikely to apply.

Paul

Re: Print Driver Fails to Install

<p5BZM.25396$txo9.16965@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75240&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75240

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:55:48 -0400
 by: Bill - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 20:55 UTC

On 10/22/2023 10:05 PM, Boris wrote:
> Windows 10 Home, 22H2
>
> This Canon printer driver keeps failing to install. I don't need it, and
> it's been failing since it first tried to install on August 8, 2023.
>
> How can I stop it from continuing to try to install?
>
> https://postimg.cc/grkf4Xjw
>
> Thanks.

I am not an expert as some of the others who responded, but I assume you
tried "uninstalling"everything associated with it" (and reinstalling the
device). This includes folders for the device. I would look in Task
Manager and use CCleaner (in hopes of getting lucky and finding anything
relevant to uninstall). If that didn't work, I would search the registry
and edit that, if necessary (deleting relevant items).
I hope this might possibly be helpful. Good luck! In case luck should
not be on your side, consider doing a backup first! : )

Re: Print Driver Fails to Install

<1bpwlcp9lk1yt$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75242&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75242

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:30:23 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:30 UTC

Boris <Boris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Windows 10 Home, 22H2
>
> This Canon printer driver keeps failing to install. I don't need it, and
> it's been failing since it first tried to install on August 8, 2023.
>
> How can I stop it from continuing to try to install?
>
> https://postimg.cc/grkf4Xjw

You don't specify what is attempting to download and install the driver.
Would that be the Windows Update client? If so, disable hardware
updates in Windows. Hardware updates should never be allowed to install
just because a new version appears. New version often do not apply to
you, make changes not relevant to your particular hardware, and
introduce new code (fix old bugs, introduce new bugs).

You can use a tweaker, like WinAero Tweaker, to disable hardware
updates, or do it manually yourself; see:

https://winaero.com/how-to-turn-off-driver-updates-in-windows-update-in-windows-10/

I disable WU from doing hardware updates immediately after doing a fresh
install of the OS. I will decide when driver updates will get applied,
and that's after I determine if the update is applicable to my hardware,
and if it actually gives me anything (a fix doesn't mean it applies to
my configuration).

Re: (Solved) Print Driver Fails to Install

<XnsB0CB69838693FBorisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76240&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76240

From: Boris@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: (Solved) Print Driver Fails to Install
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:22:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:22 UTC

Boris <Boris@invalid.invalid> wrote in

> Windows 10 Home, 22H2
>
> This Canon printer driver keeps failing to install. I don't need it,
> and it's been failing since it first tried to install on August 8,
> 2023.
>
> How can I stop it from continuing to try to install?
>
> https://postimg.cc/grkf4Xjw
>
> Thanks.

I gave up trying to solve this problem for a while, but came back to it
yesterday. Here's what worked.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/queued-canon-
printer-update-fails-install-do-not/734f0e2b-6655-4944-b744-641e0894e755

I first tried the troubleshooter file (wushowhide.diagcab) found at the
link given in the above article. When run, this troubleshooter is
supposed to enable the user to show or hide troublesome updates that will
not install.

I selected Hide, expecting to see a list that would include the Canon
driver 2.70.2.12. The list included updates I'd never seen, and didn't
know were 'available' for installation, but it didn't include the Canon
driver 2.70.2.12. Here's the list:

https://postimg.cc/8FrSVWcR

I closed the troubleshooter, and moved on to the next suggestion in the
article, which was to run "printui /s /t2" from an admin command prompt.
This brought up the Print Server Properties window:

https://postimg.cc/jWPJSMSv

This list showed "Canonn MG6500 series Printer". I had no recollection
of ever having this model, so I Removed it from the list (that's why it's
no longer shown on the list).

Going back to Windows Update, I pressed Retry, because the Canon
2.70.2.12 driver was still showing as failed. Windows Update came back
with "You're up to date", and the Canon driver was no longer shown.

Curious, I launched the troubleshooter again, and selected Show. There
was the Canon 2.70.2.12 driver:

https://postimg.cc/8FdWpZyD

Cool. An easy fix once found.

Re: (Solved) Print Driver Fails to Install

<XnsB0CB6A2E63AEBBorisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76241&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76241

From: Boris@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:26:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:26 UTC

> Boris <Boris@invalid.invalid> wrote in
>
>> Windows 10 Home, 22H2
>>
>> This Canon printer driver keeps failing to install. I don't need it,
>> and it's been failing since it first tried to install on August 8,
>> 2023.
>>
>> How can I stop it from continuing to try to install?
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/grkf4Xjw
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> I gave up trying to solve this problem for a while, but came back to
> it yesterday. Here's what worked.
>
> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/queued-canon-
> printer-update-fails-install-do-not/734f0e2b-6655-4944-b744-641e0894e75
> 5
>
> I first tried the troubleshooter file (wushowhide.diagcab) found at
> the link given in the above article. When run, this troubleshooter is
> supposed to enable the user to show or hide troublesome updates that
> will not install.
>
> I selected Hide, expecting to see a list that would include the Canon
> driver 2.70.2.12. The list included updates I'd never seen, and didn't
> know were 'available' for installation, but it didn't include the
> Canon driver 2.70.2.12. Here's the list:
>
> https://postimg.cc/8FrSVWcR
>
> I closed the troubleshooter, and moved on to the next suggestion in
> the article, which was to run "printui /s /t2" from an admin command
> prompt. This brought up the Print Server Properties window:
>
> https://postimg.cc/jWPJSMSv
>
> This list showed "Canonn MG6500 series Printer". I had no
> recollection of ever having this model, so I Removed it from the list
> (that's why it's no longer shown on the list).
>
> Going back to Windows Update, I pressed Retry, because the Canon
> 2.70.2.12 driver was still showing as failed. Windows Update came
> back with "You're up to date", and the Canon driver was no longer
> shown.
>
> Curious, I launched the troubleshooter again, and selected Show.
> There was the Canon 2.70.2.12 driver:
>
> https://postimg.cc/8FdWpZyD
>
> Cool. An easy fix once found.

And the long list of Canon 2.70.2.12 failed installs was gone from
Windows Update History.