All the existing 2.0.x kernels are to buggy for 2.1.x to be the main goal. -- Alan Cox

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway

SubjectAuthor
* Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anywayrocco portelli
+- Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anywayknuttle
+* Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anywayNewyana2
|`* Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anywayBig Al
| `- Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anywayNewyana2
+- Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
+* Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anywayphilo
|`- Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anywayKen Blake
+- Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anywayPaul
`- Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anywayPaul

1
Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway

<uk7a13$3gtdd$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76227&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76227

From: roccoportelli@nospam.it (rocco portelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 07:15:31 -0500
 by: rocco portelli - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:15 UTC

Is there any way of not creating temporary files that just have to be
deleted anyway? https://i.postimg.cc/k49r26nz/Clipboard06.jpg

Mostly I'm asking about these which I have no idea where they come from
Temporary Internet Files
Offline webpages
Delivery Optimization Files

My disk is almost full and constantly complaining it's full.
It seems to happen with Microsoft updates but I'm not sure.

Re: Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway

<uk7c6m$rftj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76228&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76228

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 07:52:37 -0500
 by: knuttle - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:52 UTC

On 11/29/2023 7:15 AM, rocco portelli wrote:
> Is there any way of not creating temporary files that just have to be
> deleted anyway? https://i.postimg.cc/k49r26nz/Clipboard06.jpg
>
> Mostly I'm asking about these which I have no idea where they come from
> Temporary Internet Files
> Offline webpages
> Delivery Optimization Files
>
> My disk is almost full and constantly complaining it's full.
> It seems to happen with Microsoft updates but I'm not sure.
I do not know of a way to stop it nor do I think the upgrade would
install without them. When MS updates it needs significant disk space
to do that up grade. (I question how long these computers band sold
with less that 256GB of storage will be able to be updated.)

Have you run the Disk Clean at the Disk Properties page?

I believe there is a similar function for the Solid state disk.

I run the Disk Clean frequently. I also use McAfee and run the Tracker
Remover function frequently also.

You could write a small BAT file to delete the TMP files that could be
run occasionally

Re: Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway

<uk7eqc$rrri$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76231&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76231

From: Newyana2@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:36:53 -0500
 by: Newyana2 - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:36 UTC

"rocco portelli" <roccoportelli@nospam.it> wrote

| Is there any way of not creating temporary files that just have to be
| deleted anyway? https://i.postimg.cc/k49r26nz/Clipboard06.jpg
| | Mostly I'm asking about these which I have no idea where they come from
| Temporary Internet Files
| Offline webpages
| Delivery Optimization Files
| | My disk is almost full and constantly complaining it's full.
| It seems to happen with Microsoft updates but I'm not sure.

You're deleting what Windows says is safe to delete. Beyond that,
check where the bloat is. Do you need it? I use a simple VBScript
that checks folder sizes throughout the system. From that I discovered,
for instance, that my firewall keeps a log of limitless size. You might
have office files, etc. Many people have ridiculously big photos,
saving 40 shots of their granddaughter's 2nd birthday, at 5 MB each,
making no effort to organize, resize or cull their photos.

Internet files are IE/Edge cache. Set the cache to almost zero.
Cache is an outdated function. Websites almost never send a 304
response anymore because pages are generated dynamically, so
they're always new, even if they haven't changed in 5 years. I
set cache on all browsers to 10MB. When you do that, make sure
you also clear all saved Internet files, twice, in each browser.

By far the biggest problem is update backups and the winsxs folder.
Winsxs is what allows Microsoft to pretend that updates and
hardware installs are effortless. When you install Windows, MS puts the
entire install disk, with all drivers, into winsxs as backup. You get no
choice in the matter. You can remove things you don't need, but there
are 10s of thousands of files. Just removing files that obviously don't
match your processor (AMD or Intel) could take hours. Once you start
running, Winsxs grows. Whenever Windows gets its hands on any kind
of drivers or update files, it copies them to winsxs. After some
experimenting I did once when updating Vista to 7 (80 GB of useless
crap!) I decided to keep disk images of all new systems. Win10 disk
image spans 3 DVDs, if I remember correctly, with setup and basic
software installed. (The same for XP is about 1400 MB with all software
installed.) When the whole thing gets unwieldy I just put
in a backup. But I also block auto-updating, so my systems are not
so crapped up. I don't know of any better solution: Reinstall fresh. Set
it up. Make disk images.... There should be a utility where you could
just check off things you don't need and have all related files deleted
from winsxs, but I don't know of any such thing. Ideally it would
just have checkboxes: Intel? Delete. HP? Delete. Samsung? Delete.
LP? Asus? NVidia? Delete, delete, delete. If you don't have the
hardware, you don't need the drivers.

Re: Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway

<uk7ha2$s308$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76232&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76232

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:19:46 -0500
 by: Big Al - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:19 UTC

On 11/29/23 08:36 AM, this is what Newyana2 wrote:
> "rocco portelli" <roccoportelli@nospam.it> wrote
>
> | Is there any way of not creating temporary files that just have to be
> | deleted anyway? https://i.postimg.cc/k49r26nz/Clipboard06.jpg
> |
> | Mostly I'm asking about these which I have no idea where they come from
> | Temporary Internet Files
> | Offline webpages
> | Delivery Optimization Files
> |
> | My disk is almost full and constantly complaining it's full.
> | It seems to happen with Microsoft updates but I'm not sure.
>
> You're deleting what Windows says is safe to delete. Beyond that,
> check where the bloat is. Do you need it? I use a simple VBScript
> that checks folder sizes throughout the system. From that I discovered,
> for instance, that my firewall keeps a log of limitless size. You might
> have office files, etc. Many people have ridiculously big photos,
> saving 40 shots of their granddaughter's 2nd birthday, at 5 MB each,
> making no effort to organize, resize or cull their photos.
>
> Internet files are IE/Edge cache. Set the cache to almost zero.
> Cache is an outdated function. Websites almost never send a 304
> response anymore because pages are generated dynamically, so
> they're always new, even if they haven't changed in 5 years. I
> set cache on all browsers to 10MB. When you do that, make sure
> you also clear all saved Internet files, twice, in each browser.
>
> By far the biggest problem is update backups and the winsxs folder.
> Winsxs is what allows Microsoft to pretend that updates and
> hardware installs are effortless. When you install Windows, MS puts the
> entire install disk, with all drivers, into winsxs as backup. You get no
> choice in the matter. You can remove things you don't need, but there
> are 10s of thousands of files. Just removing files that obviously don't
> match your processor (AMD or Intel) could take hours. Once you start
> running, Winsxs grows. Whenever Windows gets its hands on any kind
> of drivers or update files, it copies them to winsxs. After some
> experimenting I did once when updating Vista to 7 (80 GB of useless
> crap!) I decided to keep disk images of all new systems. Win10 disk
> image spans 3 DVDs, if I remember correctly, with setup and basic
> software installed. (The same for XP is about 1400 MB with all software
> installed.) When the whole thing gets unwieldy I just put
> in a backup. But I also block auto-updating, so my systems are not
> so crapped up. I don't know of any better solution: Reinstall fresh. Set
> it up. Make disk images.... There should be a utility where you could
> just check off things you don't need and have all related files deleted
> from winsxs, but I don't know of any such thing. Ideally it would
> just have checkboxes: Intel? Delete. HP? Delete. Samsung? Delete.
> LP? Asus? NVidia? Delete, delete, delete. If you don't have the
> hardware, you don't need the drivers.

I think you need a life.
Hard drive space is cheap now a days.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway

<uk88gs$10311$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76251&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76251

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:55:54 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 20:55 UTC

rocco portelli wrote on 11/29/23 5:15 AM:
> Is there any way of not creating temporary files that just have to be
> deleted anyway? https://i.postimg.cc/k49r26nz/Clipboard06.jpg
>
> Mostly I'm asking about these which I have no idea where they come from
> Temporary Internet Files
> Offline webpages
> Delivery Optimization Files
>
> My disk is almost full and constantly complaining it's full.
> It seems to happen with Microsoft updates but I'm not sure.

Unlikely go bain much space from a few hundred MB(your pic showed less
than 150MB).

Look elsewhere - programs installed no longer needed, data stored on your
main disk. Consider a larger disk for the device(you did not specify the
current size or type of device - desktop, laptop, tablet).

If a desktop consider adding another internal disk(HD or SSD) for
data(office type files, music, pictures, program installers, downloaded
programs, etc). If a laptop or tablet and an SDXC card slot is available
SDXC cards are available in a variety of sizes that can be used for the
same type of storage.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway

<676662ec7f9bff1182407b649ace11bb@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76254&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76254

From: philo@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:31:25 +0000
 by: philo - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:31 UTC

Correct.
If running out of room...constant deletion of temp files will not help.

Either clone to a larger drive ...or add a 2nd drive. Move your data there and store new data.

Re: Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway

<uk8jec$11m6g$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76255&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76255

From: Newyana2@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:01:56 -0500
 by: Newyana2 - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 00:01 UTC

"Big Al" <Bears@invalid.com> wrote

| I think you need a life.
| Hard drive space is cheap now a days.

That's one way to look at it. I'm guessig
you have a 2-car garage that you can't close
the doors on because you have a broken
toboggan and rusty barbecues in the way.
But, what the heck. How much can it cost
to rent a storage Pod and put that where
the car used to be parked, right? :)

Some of us just like to keep things orderly.
It also helps with backup. There's no sense
imaging a 200 GB system where only 15 GB are
relevant. And there's no sense buying a new
SSD just to make room for bloat.

I actually use 2 redundant 500 GB SSDs on
all of my systems. I've never come close to
filling them. I replace them occasionally to be
on the safe side and use the old ones as backup.
As you say, storage is cheap these days.

Re: Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway

<uk8tt3$16sj5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76267&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76267

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:00:50 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 03:00 UTC

On 11/29/2023 7:15 AM, rocco portelli wrote:
> Is there any way of not creating temporary files that just have to be
> deleted anyway? https://i.postimg.cc/k49r26nz/Clipboard06.jpg
>
> Mostly I'm asking about these which I have no idea where they come from
> Temporary Internet Files
> Offline webpages
> Delivery Optimization Files
>
> My disk is almost full and constantly complaining it's full.
> It seems to happen with Microsoft updates but I'm not sure.

Last Cumulative Update (LCU). Removal of folder contents, means cannot undo that cumulative.

H:\Windows\servicing\LCU
Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~19041.3324.1.7

Size: 1,063,828,063 bytes
Contains: 100,697 Files, 40,887 Folders <=== makes a mess of $MFT

*******

DeliveryOptimization fills up, with files used for updating, and those
files can be served to local PCs. Except, it doesn't work. This reduces
the purpose of even leaving trash like this around. I've never seen
any evidence this works.

And the DeliveryOptimization is well hidden. This is why
you'll find lots of references (including an interesting
and snotty article from PCMag about it), but nobody mentions
the actual storage path. I suspect people had some amount of
trouble getting here for a look.

H:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization\Cache
fac9eac9d25d2da22ea65f55ad024ece35225a75
content.bin

The files are compressed somehow. I'm not going in for a look
right now, but my suspicion is you'd have trouble from
Linux, deleting these. There are permissions at the AppData level,
to prevent Windows from going down there. What you'd want to do,
is evaluate the actual size of that versus the claimed size, to
see if they are not being truthful about the size.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/9FHbB4Wn/Delivery-Optimization.gif

Tablets with eMMC are a poor investment, and nothing
but aggravation. It doesn't matter how big the eMMC is,
it's an eMMC and that's the problem. No upgrade path.
Soldered down. Any other kind of storage, we would not
be having this discussion.

Paul

Re: Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway

<uk947k$17qms$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76273&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76273

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 23:48:51 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 04:48 UTC

On 11/29/2023 2:17 PM, John K.Eason wrote:
> In article <uk7a13$3gtdd$1@paganini.bofh.team>, roccoportelli@nospam.it (rocco
> portelli) wrote:
>
>> *From:* rocco portelli <roccoportelli@nospam.it>
>> *Date:* Wed, 29 Nov 2023 07:15:31 -0500
>>
>> Is there any way of not creating temporary files that just have to
>> be deleted anyway? https://i.postimg.cc/k49r26nz/Clipboard06.jpg
>>
>> Mostly I'm asking about these which I have no idea where they come
>> from Temporary Internet Files Offline webpages
>> Delivery Optimization Files
>>
>> My disk is almost full and constantly complaining it's full.
>> It seems to happen with Microsoft updates but I'm not sure.
>>
> Get a bigger disk! Temporary Internet Files are created by your browser every time
> you visit a web page so you can't stop those being created or you wouldn't be able
> to browse the web and the same applies to most of the other file types in that
> list.
> In fact looking at your image I'd say that deleting all the files there will make
> very little difference if you're getting complaints about disk space.

Temporary Internet Files, used to be used by Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer has been deprecated and trashed by Microsoft.

Using junction64.exe (be careful with that, use -q to query a junction):

C:\Users\Bullwinkle\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files: JUNCTION
Print Name : C:\Users\Bullwinkle\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache
Substitute Name: C:\Users\Bullwinkle\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

That's where the actual storage is, in INetCache.

C:\Users\Bullwinkle\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache
Content.IE5 JUNCTION, points to the IE folder below
gegl-0.0
IE
ABCD1234 \
EFGH5678 \___ These look like the old IE folders from earlier OSes.
JKLM9012 / Folders had random names.
NOPQ3456 /
container.dat
Low
Virtualized

The space wasted in my set of four, is minimal, 100KB maybe.

Paul

Re: Not creating temporary files that just have to be deleted anyway

<g74hmi9lmlg2ro061j6pa0d9o9fst21pe6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76279&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76279

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 06:41:35 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:41 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:31:25 +0000, philo@news.novabbs.com (philo)
wrote:

>Correct.
>If running out of room...constant deletion of temp files will not help.
>
>Either clone to a larger drive ...or add a 2nd drive. Move your data there and store new data.

A strong second to your recommendation.