There are three kinds of people: men, women, and unix.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Disappearing scroll bar

SubjectAuthor
* Disappearing scroll barsticks
+* Disappearing scroll barShinji Ikari
|+* Disappearing scroll barmicky
||`* Disappearing scroll barShinji Ikari
|| +- Disappearing scroll barShinji Ikari
|| `- Disappearing scroll barmicky
|`* Disappearing scroll barHerbert Kleebauer
| `* Disappearing scroll barShinji Ikari
|  `- Disappearing scroll barHerbert Kleebauer
`* Disappearing scroll barVanguardLH
 `* Disappearing scroll barsticks
  `- Disappearing scroll barVanguardLH

1
Disappearing scroll bar

<ukdmet$21kdq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76288&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76288

From: wolverine01@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Disappearing scroll bar
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 16:24:28 -0600
 by: sticks - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 22:24 UTC

I noticed in the last day or two my scroll bar was invisible until I put
the mouse over it. After searching the issue, I did go into
settings/ease of access/Display/, and sure enough "automatically hide
scroll bars in windows" was turned on. I certainly never did that.
Wondering if a recent update turned that on now as a default?

But, turning it to off did fix it in "Windows Settings" windows, but not
Windows Explorer. Firefox is back to normal, though not right away, but
Betterbird still has the hidden scroll bars. WTF?

Any ideas on how to get them all back? All I see is the switch I
changed (and I did reboot) and a registry entry I confirmed was right.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I probably never paid
attention since I didn't have the problem.
--
Stand With Israel!
NOTE: If you use Google Groups I don't see you,

Re: Disappearing scroll bar

<mv5lmil03cbsrg99h44h6l5vt6l9qrpa22@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76291&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76291

From: shinji@gmx.net (Shinji Ikari)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Disappearing scroll bar
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 03:38:14 +0100
 by: Shinji Ikari - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 02:38 UTC

Hello

sticks <wolverine01@charter.net> schrieb

>...I did go into
>settings/ease of access/Display/, and sure enough "automatically hide
>scroll bars in windows" was turned on. I certainly never did that.
>Wondering if a recent update turned that on now as a default?

In all Win10 versions that option was turned on by default.
Since I don't like the disappearing scrollbar, I always switches this
option off.
Sadly there seems to be no such switch in Win11 and the even smaller
scrollbar is permanent.

Re: Disappearing scroll bar

<lq9lmilnp8o6a04m3pobn73eeu19e86p24@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76292&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76292

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 22:42:02 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 03:42 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 02 Dec 2023 03:38:14 +0100, Shinji
Ikari <shinji@gmx.net> wrote:

>Hello
>
>sticks <wolverine01@charter.net> schrieb
>
>>...I did go into
>>settings/ease of access/Display/, and sure enough "automatically hide
>>scroll bars in windows" was turned on. I certainly never did that.
>>Wondering if a recent update turned that on now as a default?
>
>In all Win10 versions that option was turned on by default.
>Since I don't like the disappearing scrollbar, I always switches this
>option off.

So you don't like the disappearing scroll bar. Neither do I.

>Sadly there seems to be no such switch in Win11 and the even smaller
>scrollbar is permanent.

So why is it sad if the scroll bar is permanent, not disappearing? I
thought you like that.

Re: Disappearing scroll bar

<efalmit627mrsp466a3mul43mda31mlvk0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76293&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76293

From: shinji@gmx.net (Shinji Ikari)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 04:55:08 +0100
 by: Shinji Ikari - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 03:55 UTC

Hello

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> schrieb

>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 02 Dec 2023 03:38:14 +0100, Shinji
>Ikari <shinji@gmx.net> wrote:
>>sticks <wolverine01@charter.net> schrieb
>>>...I did go into
>>>settings/ease of access/Display/, and sure enough "automatically hide
>>>scroll bars in windows" was turned on. I certainly never did that.
>>>Wondering if a recent update turned that on now as a default?
>>In all Win10 versions that option was turned on by default.
>>Since I don't like the disappearing scrollbar, I always switches this
>>option off.
>So you don't like the disappearing scroll bar. Neither do I.

correct

>>Sadly there seems to be no such switch in Win11 and the even smaller
>>scrollbar is permanent.
>So why is it sad if the scroll bar is permanent, not disappearing? I
>thought you like that.

Like in Win10 the default ist the small/disappearing scrollbar.
In WIn10 I have the option to disable the disappearing scrollbar after
installing WIn10 (The option you also found).
Sadly in win11 there is no such option to disable the small
scrollbars. They are small and they stay very ... very small.

I hope, you understand now.

Re: Disappearing scroll bar

<ulalmit6edr3m6c2tnj9j920a42ejamb0p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76294&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76294

From: shinji@gmx.net (Shinji Ikari)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 04:56:59 +0100
 by: Shinji Ikari - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 03:56 UTC

Hallo.

Sorry I mistook you for the original poster!

scratch that:
>(The option you also found).

I mean the option "sticks" also found/mentioned.

Re: Disappearing scroll bar

<kckhb3u92b1b$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76296&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76296

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 00:15:21 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 06:15 UTC

sticks <wolverine01@charter.net> wrote:

> I noticed in the last day or two my scroll bar was invisible until I put
> the mouse over it. After searching the issue, I did go into
> settings/ease of access/Display/, and sure enough "automatically hide
> scroll bars in windows" was turned on. I certainly never did that.
> Wondering if a recent update turned that on now as a default?
>
> But, turning it to off did fix it in "Windows Settings" windows, but not
> Windows Explorer. Firefox is back to normal, though not right away, but
> Betterbird still has the hidden scroll bars. WTF?
>
> Any ideas on how to get them all back? All I see is the switch I
> changed (and I did reboot) and a registry entry I confirmed was right.
>
> Sorry if this has been discussed before. I probably never paid
> attention since I didn't have the problem.

WinAero Tweaker lets you adjust the settings in the registry. Their
help article on the option is at:

https://winaero.com/how-to-change-the-size-of-scrollbars-in-windows-10/

I don't have Windows 11 to test if those registry edits still work.

For Windows' File Explorer, is what is listed in the right pane (folders
and files) actually longer than the height of the window? The same for
the tree pane: are the number of nodes shown longer than the height of
the window? The scrollbars don't appear unless the list is longer than
the height of the window.

Did you exit (not hide, but actually unload) Betterbird to reload it to
check if the scrollbars still misbehaved? If reloading didn't help,
logout and login to apply the per-user settings in the registry. Often
processes will read the memory copy of the registry, and thereafter not
revisit those settings. You have to reload the program, or sometimes
even exit your Windows session to start a new one, to get programs to
use the changed settings in the registry.

Re: Disappearing scroll bar

<ukekbc$29477$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76297&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76297

From: klee@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 07:54:35 +0100
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 06:54 UTC

On 02.12.2023 03:38, Shinji Ikari wrote:

> Sadly there seems to be no such switch in Win11 and the even smaller
> scrollbar is permanent.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
ScrollHeight (default -255 -> 17 Pixel)
ScrollWidth (default -255 -> 17 Pixel)

-15 x WISHED WIDTH IN PIXELS = number that we will write (-375 -> 25 Pixel)
value between -120 (very thin) and -1500 (very wide).

Re: Disappearing scroll bar

<dm5mmih0t4141br3a13nqm9j3b8uo2j2ss@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76301&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76301

From: shinji@gmx.net (Shinji Ikari)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 12:41:37 +0100
 by: Shinji Ikari - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:41 UTC

Hello.

Herbert Kleebauer <klee@unibwm.de> wrote
>On 02.12.2023 03:38, Shinji Ikari wrote:
>> Sadly there seems to be no such switch in Win11 and the even smaller
>> scrollbar is permanent.
>Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
>ScrollHeight (default -255 -> 17 Pixel)
>ScrollWidth (default -255 -> 17 Pixel)

I tried it.
It changes the size of some scrollbars of some programms.
But win11pro itself not.

Example: Windows > Settings
The scrollbar to get down to the lowest section "info" stays a veeery
small line you have to get with the mouse to. Then it gets a little
itsi bitsy wider.
I would like to have an easy way to widen the scrollbars (or better to
stay always at a defindes size I can choose) of the windows functions
also.
I do not like to make changes directly in the 'regedit'.

Re: Disappearing scroll bar

<ukf973$2c108$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76302&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76302

From: klee@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:50:42 +0100
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:50 UTC

On 02.12.2023 12:41, Shinji Ikari wrote:

> It changes the size of some scrollbars of some programms.

As far as I remember in Firefox (about:config) I had also to change
widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.style to 4. Only then Firefox
uses the Windows value and not its own.

Re: Disappearing scroll bar

<ukfcmo$2chbm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76303&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76303

From: wolverine01@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 07:50:16 -0600
 by: sticks - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:50 UTC

On 12/2/2023 12:15 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> sticks <wolverine01@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> I noticed in the last day or two my scroll bar was invisible until I put
>> the mouse over it. After searching the issue, I did go into
>> settings/ease of access/Display/, and sure enough "automatically hide
>> scroll bars in windows" was turned on. I certainly never did that.
>> Wondering if a recent update turned that on now as a default?
>>
>> But, turning it to off did fix it in "Windows Settings" windows, but not
>> Windows Explorer. Firefox is back to normal, though not right away, but
>> Betterbird still has the hidden scroll bars. WTF?
>>
>> Any ideas on how to get them all back? All I see is the switch I
>> changed (and I did reboot) and a registry entry I confirmed was right.
>>
>> Sorry if this has been discussed before. I probably never paid
>> attention since I didn't have the problem.
>
> WinAero Tweaker lets you adjust the settings in the registry. Their
> help article on the option is at:
>
> https://winaero.com/how-to-change-the-size-of-scrollbars-in-windows-10/
>
> I don't have Windows 11 to test if those registry edits still work.
>
> For Windows' File Explorer, is what is listed in the right pane (folders
> and files) actually longer than the height of the window? The same for
> the tree pane: are the number of nodes shown longer than the height of
> the window? The scrollbars don't appear unless the list is longer than
> the height of the window.
>
> Did you exit (not hide, but actually unload) Betterbird to reload it to
> check if the scrollbars still misbehaved? If reloading didn't help,
> logout and login to apply the per-user settings in the registry. Often
> processes will read the memory copy of the registry, and thereafter not
> revisit those settings. You have to reload the program, or sometimes
> even exit your Windows session to start a new one, to get programs to
> use the changed settings in the registry.

And just like that, this morning it's all back to normal. Yesterday,
after I made the change back, I did go ahead and restart the system.
Explorer and BBird, still didn't work with the visible bar after
rebooting and restarting the programs. I had opened and closed both of
them several times. This morning I open up BBird and first thing I see
is the scrollbar. So I open up Explorer and it has one too.

Damn if I can think of anything that happened from the last time I
opened them yesterday until this morning that would have been different,
yet there they are! And what turned them off in the first place? It
wasn't me.

Very odd behavior me thinks.

--
Stand With Israel!
NOTE: If you use Google Groups I don't see you,
unless you're whitelisted and that's doubtful.

Re: Disappearing scroll bar

<icemmi5e0vase7jkfc78v8jh61ntbuqs2u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76305&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76305

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 09:05:58 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:05 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 02 Dec 2023 04:55:08 +0100, Shinji
Ikari <shinji@gmx.net> wrote:

>Hello
>
>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> schrieb
>
>>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 02 Dec 2023 03:38:14 +0100, Shinji
>>Ikari <shinji@gmx.net> wrote:
>>>sticks <wolverine01@charter.net> schrieb
>>>In all Win10 versions that option was turned on by default.
>>>Since I don't like the disappearing scrollbar, I always switches this
>>>option off.
>>So you don't like the disappearing scroll bar. Neither do I.
>
>correct
>
>>>Sadly there seems to be no such switch in Win11 and the even smaller
>>>scrollbar is permanent.
>>So why is it sad if the scroll bar is permanent, not disappearing? I
>>thought you like that.
>
>Like in Win10 the default ist the small/disappearing scrollbar.
>In WIn10 I have the option to disable the disappearing scrollbar after
>installing WIn10 (The option you also found).
>Sadly in win11 there is no such option to disable the small
>scrollbars. They are small and they stay very ... very small.
>
>I hope, you understand now.

Not for sure. I think the problem is that they are too small, too
narrow. I'm warned. I'll stay away from win11.

Re: Disappearing scroll bar

<1um22mvqtffse$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76312&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76312

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:00:45 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:00 UTC

sticks <wolverine01@charter.net> wrote:

> On 12/2/2023 12:15 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> sticks <wolverine01@charter.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed in the last day or two my scroll bar was invisible until I put
>>> the mouse over it. After searching the issue, I did go into
>>> settings/ease of access/Display/, and sure enough "automatically hide
>>> scroll bars in windows" was turned on. I certainly never did that.
>>> Wondering if a recent update turned that on now as a default?
>>>
>>> But, turning it to off did fix it in "Windows Settings" windows, but not
>>> Windows Explorer. Firefox is back to normal, though not right away, but
>>> Betterbird still has the hidden scroll bars. WTF?
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to get them all back? All I see is the switch I
>>> changed (and I did reboot) and a registry entry I confirmed was right.
>>>
>>> Sorry if this has been discussed before. I probably never paid
>>> attention since I didn't have the problem.
>>
>> WinAero Tweaker lets you adjust the settings in the registry. Their
>> help article on the option is at:
>>
>> https://winaero.com/how-to-change-the-size-of-scrollbars-in-windows-10/
>>
>> I don't have Windows 11 to test if those registry edits still work.
>>
>> For Windows' File Explorer, is what is listed in the right pane (folders
>> and files) actually longer than the height of the window? The same for
>> the tree pane: are the number of nodes shown longer than the height of
>> the window? The scrollbars don't appear unless the list is longer than
>> the height of the window.
>>
>> Did you exit (not hide, but actually unload) Betterbird to reload it to
>> check if the scrollbars still misbehaved? If reloading didn't help,
>> logout and login to apply the per-user settings in the registry. Often
>> processes will read the memory copy of the registry, and thereafter not
>> revisit those settings. You have to reload the program, or sometimes
>> even exit your Windows session to start a new one, to get programs to
>> use the changed settings in the registry.
>
> And just like that, this morning it's all back to normal. Yesterday,
> after I made the change back, I did go ahead and restart the system.
> Explorer and BBird, still didn't work with the visible bar after
> rebooting and restarting the programs. I had opened and closed both of
> them several times. This morning I open up BBird and first thing I see
> is the scrollbar. So I open up Explorer and it has one too.
>
> Damn if I can think of anything that happened from the last time I
> opened them yesterday until this morning that would have been different,
> yet there they are! And what turned them off in the first place? It
> wasn't me.
>
> Very odd behavior me thinks.

When you lift a rock to look underneath, all the bugs scatter.