From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: How can an .exe file disappear, when oher programs are still fine?
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 15:20:52 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:20 UTC

How is it possible that a diagnostic-only .exe file disappears from a
harddrive and when the program that included it is reinstalled the whole
program works again? That implies that other files not used for
diagnosis were missing or corrupted. (BTW, this is not the same PC as
the immediately previous thread about the taskbar missing programs. This
is the desktop, that was the laptop.)

I've been using Synergy to control two computers with one keyboard and 2
mice (one for waking the second computer when it sleeps).

And it works great when it works, allowing just one keyboard and, except
when the secondary computer sleeps, one mouse, and allowing copy on one
pc and paste on the other. But often, 2 or 3 times a day, for no
apparent reason the cursor gets trapped in one monitor or the other, and
what bothers me is the level of support (even though I paid $30 for
this.) Maybe it's a one-man company and he's sick but there has been no
reply to my last two emails over the last 15 days even though he says
"usually within 48 hours),(and the reply to the first one may have been
an auto-reply).

They have online-help but it's no help. Only 15 topics, some apply only
to the previous version and the rest don't apply to my problem. There
is a Reconect option in the program in each computer, but nothing says
what it is supposed to do, so since it never accomplishes anything, I
don't know what that means. More stuff like this.

It would take one person a day or two to write up decent documentation,
but they/he haven't done it.

Re: How can an .exe file disappear, when oher programs are still fine?

<ukqqac$u635$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76407&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76407

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: How can an .exe file disappear, when oher programs are still
fine?
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 16:50:04 -0500
 by: Big Al - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 21:50 UTC

On 12/6/23 03:20 PM, this is what micky wrote:
> How is it possible that a diagnostic-only .exe file disappears from a
> harddrive
<snip>
You do have your problems don't you!
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: How can an .exe file disappear, when oher programs are still fine?

<ukr6ou$vssu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76409&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76409

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
fine?
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:22:37 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 01:22 UTC

On 12/6/2023 3:20 PM, micky wrote:
> How is it possible that a diagnostic-only .exe file disappears from a
> harddrive and when the program that included it is reinstalled the whole
> program works again?

Windows Defender ?

Paul

Re: How can an .exe file disappear, when oher programs are still fine?

<hga2nitv5k1g5aji49an70ol6cujg9ga0o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76411&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76411

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 21:14:05 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 02:14 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:22:37 -0500, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 12/6/2023 3:20 PM, micky wrote:
>> How is it possible that a diagnostic-only .exe file disappears from a
>> harddrive and when the program that included it is reinstalled the whole
>> program works again?
>
>Windows Defender ?

??? Do you mean Windows defender thought it was malware? Wouldn't WD
say something to me when it zapped it? it had been installed for two
weeks and and used once or twice before today, plus the same program
exists on the other computer.