COBOL is for morons. -- E. W. Dijkstra

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Two computers display graphics differently

SubjectAuthor
* Two computers display graphics differentlymicky
+- Two computers display graphics differentlyRetirednoguilt
+- Two computers display graphics differentlyBig Al
+- Two computers display graphics differentlyPaul
+* Two computers display graphics differentlymicky
|`* Two computers display graphics differentlyNobody
| `- Two computers display graphics differentlymicky
+* Two computers display graphics differentlyEric
|`- Two computers display graphics differentlymicky
`* Two computers display graphics differentlymicky
 `* Two computers display graphics differentlymicky
  +- Two computers display graphics differentlyAndy Burns
  `* Two computers display graphics differentlyPaul
   `* Two computers display graphics differentlymicky
    `- Two computers display graphics differentlymicky

1
Two computers display graphics differently

<mc3cmi5cmc68dcqju96mtt7jra4mctm4ug@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76176&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76176

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Two computers display graphics differently
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:19:41 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:19 UTC

I have a laptop and desktop running win10 Home and Pro respectively**.

I'm using the latest version of Firefox in each, 120.0 64-bit.

I have noted before that some colored parts of graphics do not appear in
the laptop and today I compared it with the desktop, where they do
appear correctly. How can this be and how do I fix it? :-)

This is the webpage
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/florida-covid-cases.html
and if you go down to maybe the 3rd graph, under "Daily new hospital
admissions by age in Florida", each line has a color and the legend for
the colors is at the top, under 18, 18-20, 30-49. The desktop has
colors but the laptop is all just white** there.

The very next graph shows a map of Florida and underneath it are 5 small
multicolored maps of Florida. Each color represents the Average daily
cases per 100,000 people in the past week, as shown by the legend
immediately above the 5 little maps. But again, the desktop has a
colors (starting at yellow gradually changing to very dark red) but the
laptop is all white/background color. In this case I note that above
each number there, 10, 20...250 is a very short vertical *black* line
and it too is missing from the laptop.

How can this be? I've never made changes to windows or FF settings that
relate to color or to graphics.

**I should add that windows Home on the laptop is fully updated but
because of a problem, windows Pro on the desktop has not been updated
for 2 years.

Could the old version of Pro work better than the new version? Most of
you with Pro will have the fully updated version.

Could Pro work better than Home?

Is there some other difference?
Is there some other change I or MS made? (I note that the loudspeaker
icon and the network icon disappeared from the visible systray recently
and I didn't do that. I found them in the hidden part.)

**Well the laptop background is always, everywhere a light shade of tan
-- is that a problem? Is it because of age? It's an old Acer. -- while
the desktop really is white just about everywhere.

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<uk5bif$cl2k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76194&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76194

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Two computers display graphics differently
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 13:29:31 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:29 UTC

On 11/28/2023 11:19 AM, micky wrote:
> I have a laptop and desktop running win10 Home and Pro respectively**.
>
> I'm using the latest version of Firefox in each, 120.0 64-bit.
>
> I have noted before that some colored parts of graphics do not appear in
> the laptop and today I compared it with the desktop, where they do
> appear correctly. How can this be and how do I fix it? :-)
>
> This is the webpage
> https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/florida-covid-cases.html
> and if you go down to maybe the 3rd graph, under "Daily new hospital
> admissions by age in Florida", each line has a color and the legend for
> the colors is at the top, under 18, 18-20, 30-49. The desktop has
> colors but the laptop is all just white** there.
>
> The very next graph shows a map of Florida and underneath it are 5 small
> multicolored maps of Florida. Each color represents the Average daily
> cases per 100,000 people in the past week, as shown by the legend
> immediately above the 5 little maps. But again, the desktop has a
> colors (starting at yellow gradually changing to very dark red) but the
> laptop is all white/background color. In this case I note that above
> each number there, 10, 20...250 is a very short vertical *black* line
> and it too is missing from the laptop.
>
> How can this be? I've never made changes to windows or FF settings that
> relate to color or to graphics.
>
> **I should add that windows Home on the laptop is fully updated but
> because of a problem, windows Pro on the desktop has not been updated
> for 2 years.
>
> Could the old version of Pro work better than the new version? Most of
> you with Pro will have the fully updated version.
>
> Could Pro work better than Home?
>
> Is there some other difference?
> Is there some other change I or MS made? (I note that the loudspeaker
> icon and the network icon disappeared from the visible systray recently
> and I didn't do that. I found them in the hidden part.)
>
> **Well the laptop background is always, everywhere a light shade of tan
> -- is that a problem? Is it because of age? It's an old Acer. -- while
> the desktop really is white just about everywhere.

Are you using the same version of your printer's driver on both
computers and are both drivers set to print at the same magnification
and configured to use the same paper size? Is the laptop's printer
driver configured to print in color vs gray scale or black and white?
I'd do a very thorough A/B comparison between every printer driver
setting on both computers and ensure all settings are identical.

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<uk5fbc$d3gh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76203&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76203

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 14:34:04 -0500
 by: Big Al - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:34 UTC

On 11/28/23 11:19 AM, this is what micky wrote:
> I have a laptop and desktop running win10 Home and Pro respectively**.
>
> I'm using the latest version of Firefox in each, 120.0 64-bit.
>
> I have noted before that some colored parts of graphics do not appear in
> the laptop and today I compared it with the desktop, where they do
> appear correctly. How can this be and how do I fix it? :-)
>
> This is the webpage
> https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/florida-covid-cases.html
> and if you go down to maybe the 3rd graph, under "Daily new hospital
> admissions by age in Florida", each line has a color and the legend for
> the colors is at the top, under 18, 18-20, 30-49. The desktop has
> colors but the laptop is all just white** there.
>
> The very next graph shows a map of Florida and underneath it are 5 small
> multicolored maps of Florida. Each color represents the Average daily
> cases per 100,000 people in the past week, as shown by the legend
> immediately above the 5 little maps. But again, the desktop has a
> colors (starting at yellow gradually changing to very dark red) but the
> laptop is all white/background color. In this case I note that above
> each number there, 10, 20...250 is a very short vertical *black* line
> and it too is missing from the laptop.
>
> How can this be? I've never made changes to windows or FF settings that
> relate to color or to graphics.
>
> **I should add that windows Home on the laptop is fully updated but
> because of a problem, windows Pro on the desktop has not been updated
> for 2 years.
>
> Could the old version of Pro work better than the new version? Most of
> you with Pro will have the fully updated version.
>
> Could Pro work better than Home?
>
> Is there some other difference?
> Is there some other change I or MS made? (I note that the loudspeaker
> icon and the network icon disappeared from the visible systray recently
> and I didn't do that. I found them in the hidden part.)
>
> **Well the laptop background is always, everywhere a light shade of tan
> -- is that a problem? Is it because of age? It's an old Acer. -- while
> the desktop really is white just about everywhere.
I see the colors but I'm on Linux.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<uk5nl4$ekk0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76210&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76210

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:55:47 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:55 UTC

On 11/28/2023 2:49 PM, John K.Eason wrote:
> In article <mc3cmi5cmc68dcqju96mtt7jra4mctm4ug@4ax.com>, NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com
> (micky) wrote:
>
>> *From:* micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>> *Date:* Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:19:41 -0500
>>
>> I have a laptop and desktop running win10 Home and Pro
>> respectively**.
>>
>> I'm using the latest version of Firefox in each, 120.0 64-bit.
>
> <stuff deleted>
>
>> **Well the laptop background is always, everywhere a light shade of
>> tan -- is that a problem? Is it because of age? It's an old Acer. --
>> while the desktop really is white just about everywhere.
>
> I'd suspect either the laptop's graphics driver or its screen. It sounds as if one
> of the colours isn't working correctly if you're not getting white window
> backgrounds and this could well affect other colours too.

If a person suspected a laptop screen was defective, they
could connect an external monitor.

There are a lot of factors controlling color, and on a
modern piece of equipment this would be pretty hard to debug
and finger-point, with any reliability.

*******

LCD screens can be backlit with CCFL tubes or with LEDs.
Both devices shift with age.

CCFL tubes "turn brown" as they age. Thus the tan color is to be expected.
An external monitor plugged into the VGA port, may at least have
the white background you would expect. Being newer, it should not be tan.

On a LED lit device, the intensity might change. On IPS monitors, there
might be some light-bleed on one or more edges, due to how they are backlit.

On cheap LCD monitors, the inverters for the CCFL, blow out before the tubes turn brown.
This is why not much of the audience has seen the brown effect. As the
monitors might have stopped lighting completely and it is not the fault
of the CCFL in that case.

Paul

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<804fmi1u3oessop4aks1ugqeajf10q8kfb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76249&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76249

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:35:04 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:35 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:49 +0000 (GMT Standard
Time), john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason) wrote:

>In article <mc3cmi5cmc68dcqju96mtt7jra4mctm4ug@4ax.com>, NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com
>(micky) wrote:
>
>> *From:* micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>> *Date:* Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:19:41 -0500
>>
>> I have a laptop and desktop running win10 Home and Pro
>> respectively**.
>>
>> I'm using the latest version of Firefox in each, 120.0 64-bit.
>
><stuff deleted>
>
>> **Well the laptop background is always, everywhere a light shade of
>> tan -- is that a problem? Is it because of age? It's an old Acer. --
>> while the desktop really is white just about everywhere.
>
>I'd suspect either the laptop's graphics driver or its screen. It sounds as if one
>of the colours isn't working correctly if you're not getting white window
>backgrounds and this could well affect other colours too.

This convinced me at first, but all the colors that are not showing in
the legend ARE showing within the maps of Florida.

Plus there are those little black lines in the legend for the second
graph. They are black, but they also don't show in the laptop.

It seems like something is keeping the legends specifically from
showing, and that seems like it would be failure to understand the html.
The legends are one line that gradually changes color with a line of
text underneath that explains what age each color represents. Does this
have anything with the term pancake-chart which I find in the source
code?

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<k4nfmih26tk52vgdgn8mqj8jjusjcuf4if@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76257&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76257

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:56:36 -0800
 by: Nobody - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 00:56 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:35:04 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:49 +0000 (GMT Standard
>Time), john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason) wrote:
>
>>In article <mc3cmi5cmc68dcqju96mtt7jra4mctm4ug@4ax.com>, NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com
>>(micky) wrote:
>>
>>> *From:* micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>>> *Date:* Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:19:41 -0500
>>>
>>> I have a laptop and desktop running win10 Home and Pro
>>> respectively**.
>>>
>>> I'm using the latest version of Firefox in each, 120.0 64-bit.
>>
>><stuff deleted>
>>
>>> **Well the laptop background is always, everywhere a light shade of
>>> tan -- is that a problem? Is it because of age? It's an old Acer. --
>>> while the desktop really is white just about everywhere.
>>
>>I'd suspect either the laptop's graphics driver or its screen. It sounds as if one
>>of the colours isn't working correctly if you're not getting white window
>>backgrounds and this could well affect other colours too.
>
>This convinced me at first, but all the colors that are not showing in
>the legend ARE showing within the maps of Florida.

Well, thanks for cross-posting a response to an answer on another
group.

Generally and recently, *micky*, you've been finding some strange and
individualised problems with pretty mainstream software.

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<ukdn8g$4t5e$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76289&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76289

From: invalid@invalid.net (Eric)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 22:34:20 +0000
 by: Eric - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 22:34 UTC

On 28/11/2023 16:19, micky wrote:
> I have a laptop and desktop running win10 Home and Pro respectively**.
>
> I'm using the latest version of Firefox in each, 120.0 64-bit.
>
> I have noted before that some colored parts of graphics do not appear in
> the laptop and today I compared it with the desktop, where they do
> appear correctly. How can this be and how do I fix it? :-)
>
> This is the webpage
> https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/florida-covid-cases.html
> and if you go down to maybe the 3rd graph, under "Daily new hospital
> admissions by age in Florida", each line has a color and the legend for
> the colors is at the top, under 18, 18-20, 30-49. The desktop has
> colors but the laptop is all just white** there.
>
> The very next graph shows a map of Florida and underneath it are 5 small
> multicolored maps of Florida. Each color represents the Average daily
> cases per 100,000 people in the past week, as shown by the legend
> immediately above the 5 little maps. But again, the desktop has a
> colors (starting at yellow gradually changing to very dark red) but the
> laptop is all white/background color. In this case I note that above
> each number there, 10, 20...250 is a very short vertical *black* line
> and it too is missing from the laptop.
>
> How can this be? I've never made changes to windows or FF settings that
> relate to color or to graphics.
>
> **I should add that windows Home on the laptop is fully updated but
> because of a problem, windows Pro on the desktop has not been updated
> for 2 years.
>
> Could the old version of Pro work better than the new version? Most of
> you with Pro will have the fully updated version.
>
> Could Pro work better than Home?
>
> Is there some other difference?
> Is there some other change I or MS made? (I note that the loudspeaker
> icon and the network icon disappeared from the visible systray recently
> and I didn't do that. I found them in the hidden part.)
>
> **Well the laptop background is always, everywhere a light shade of tan
> -- is that a problem? Is it because of age? It's an old Acer. -- while
> the desktop really is white just about everywhere.

It happens with different OS. In Linux Ubuntu and in Windows 11 this
page is quite different:

http://www.outlook.com

I got confused at first where to find the login button in linux but eventually
worked it out.

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<v3rmmi51shpeebic37iqj1tpd5o2halpqm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76310&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76310

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 12:46:14 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:46 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 1 Dec 2023 22:34:20 +0000, Eric
<invalid@invalid.net> wrote:

>On 28/11/2023 16:19, micky wrote:
>> I have a laptop and desktop running win10 Home and Pro respectively**.
>>
>> I'm using the latest version of Firefox in each, 120.0 64-bit.
>>
>> I have noted before that some colored parts of graphics do not appear in
>> the laptop and today I compared it with the desktop, where they do
>> appear correctly. How can this be and how do I fix it? :-)
>>
>> This is the webpage
>> https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/florida-covid-cases.html
>> and if you go down to maybe the 3rd graph, under "Daily new hospital
>> admissions by age in Florida", each line has a color and the legend for
>> the colors is at the top, under 18, 18-20, 30-49. The desktop has
>> colors but the laptop is all just white** there.
>>
>> The very next graph shows a map of Florida and underneath it are 5 small
>> multicolored maps of Florida. Each color represents the Average daily
>> cases per 100,000 people in the past week, as shown by the legend
>> immediately above the 5 little maps. But again, the desktop has a
>> colors (starting at yellow gradually changing to very dark red) but the
>> laptop is all white/background color. In this case I note that above
>> each number there, 10, 20...250 is a very short vertical *black* line
>> and it too is missing from the laptop.
>>
>> How can this be? I've never made changes to windows or FF settings that
>> relate to color or to graphics.
>>
>> **I should add that windows Home on the laptop is fully updated but
>> because of a problem, windows Pro on the desktop has not been updated
>> for 2 years.
>>
>> Could the old version of Pro work better than the new version? Most of
>> you with Pro will have the fully updated version.
>>
>> Could Pro work better than Home?
>>
>> Is there some other difference?
>> Is there some other change I or MS made? (I note that the loudspeaker
>> icon and the network icon disappeared from the visible systray recently
>> and I didn't do that. I found them in the hidden part.)
>>
>> **Well the laptop background is always, everywhere a light shade of tan
>> -- is that a problem? Is it because of age? It's an old Acer. -- while
>> the desktop really is white just about everywhere.
>
>It happens with different OS. In Linux Ubuntu and in Windows 11 this
>page is quite different:

Well, i can imagine that the OS is the issue, and that windows Home
fully updated is insufficient to display the legend, and but it's really
suprising that windows Pro not updated for 2 years does a proper job!
LOL

>http://www.outlook.com
>
>I got confused at first where to find the login button in linux but eventually
>worked it out.

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<1s6pmide7anmap0kdjf50o3253vod59u6h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76347&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76347

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 10:21:20 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 15:21 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:19:41 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>I have a laptop and desktop running win10 Home and Pro respectively**.
>
>I'm using the latest version of Firefox in each, 120.0 64-bit.
>
>I have noted before that some colored parts of graphics do not appear in
>the laptop and today I compared it with the desktop, where they do
>appear correctly. How can this be and how do I fix it? :-)

In addition to the problem in the quoted text below, I've noticed that
the laptop running Windows Home also does not display colors correctly
in this situation: If one looks in the Orders page of Amazon for
something bought but not delivered yet, the Tracking button is exactly
the same color as the other buttons and the general background.
In the desktop running Windows Pro, the Tracking button is some shade
of red. I dont' much care what the color is except that it doesn't
match the other buttons like in the laptop

There are probably other places where the colors are different that i
have not noticed.

Again, the desktop with windows pro has not been updated for 2 years,
and yet that computer works better than the windows home. ??

>This is the webpage
>https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/florida-covid-cases.html
>and if you go down to maybe the 3rd graph, under "Daily new hospital
>admissions by age in Florida", each line has a color and the legend for
>the colors is at the top, under 18, 18-20, 30-49. The desktop has
>colors but the laptop is all just white** there.
>
>The very next graph shows a map of Florida and underneath it are 5 small
>multicolored maps of Florida. Each color represents the Average daily
>cases per 100,000 people in the past week, as shown by the legend
>immediately above the 5 little maps. But again, the desktop has a
>colors (starting at yellow gradually changing to very dark red) but the
>laptop is all white/background color. In this case I note that above
>each number there, 10, 20...250 is a very short vertical *black* line
>and it too is missing from the laptop.
>
>How can this be? I've never made changes to windows or FF settings that
>relate to color or to graphics.
>
>**I should add that windows Home on the laptop is fully updated but
>because of a problem, windows Pro on the desktop has not been updated
>for 2 years.
>
>Could the old version of Pro work better than the new version? Most of
>you with Pro will have the fully updated version.
>
>Could Pro work better than Home?
>
>Is there some other difference?
>Is there some other change I or MS made? (I note that the loudspeaker
>icon and the network icon disappeared from the visible systray recently
>and I didn't do that. I found them in the hidden part.)
>
>**Well the laptop background is always, everywhere a light shade of tan
>-- is that a problem? Is it because of age? It's an old Acer. -- while
>the desktop really is white just about everywhere.

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<h87pmitbo2g8e45hhnnj3tnq8g2nvipsib@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76348&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76348

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 10:25:45 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 15:25 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:56:36 -0800, Nobody
<jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:35:04 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:49 +0000 (GMT Standard
>>Time), john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason) wrote:

>>><stuff deleted>

>>>I'd suspect either the laptop's graphics driver or its screen. It sounds as if one
>>>of the colours isn't working correctly if you're not getting white window
>>>backgrounds and this could well affect other colours too.
>>
>>This convinced me at first, but all the colors that are not showing in
>>the legend ARE showing within the maps of Florida.
>
>Well, thanks for cross-posting a response to an answer on another
>group.

When people read with google groups, cross posted groups get dropped. I
don't think those users even know there was a cross posted group, so I
try to notice and put it back.

>Generally and recently, *micky*, you've been finding some strange and
>individualised problems with pretty mainstream software.

Yes, I tend to pay attention to little things. This might be related:
When newspaper articles give numbers and then percentages, I often check
their math, and sometimes find anomalies, maybe not in the math but in
the way the results are described.

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<1iubni1up4oko3n65j8e6ahkq7f85s8apa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76438&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76438

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:53:13 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:53 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 03 Dec 2023 10:21:20 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:19:41 -0500, micky
><NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a laptop and desktop running win10 Home and Pro respectively**.
>>
>>I'm using the latest version of Firefox in each, 120.0 64-bit.
>>
>>I have noted before that some colored parts of graphics do not appear in
>>the laptop and today I compared it with the desktop, where they do
>>appear correctly. How can this be and how do I fix it? :-)
>
>In addition to the problem in the quoted text below, I've noticed that
>the laptop running Windows Home also does not display colors correctly
>in this situation: If one looks in the Orders page of Amazon for
>something bought but not delivered yet, the Tracking button is exactly
>the same color as the other buttons and the general background.
> In the desktop running Windows Pro, the Tracking button is some shade
>of red. I dont' much care what the color is except that it doesn't
>match the other buttons like in the laptop
>
>There are probably other places where the colors are different that i
>have not noticed.
>
>Again, the desktop with windows pro has not been updated for 2 years,
>and yet that computer works better than the windows home. ??

Also noticed on the Windows Home laptop that on Amazon add that allow
one to look at a video, if there is more than one video, on the other
computer, the one that is playing is outlined in blue, but on this
strange win-Home system, there is no indication, no outline,

But if I look at a color spectrum, all the colors are showing. It's not
that this can't display certain colors

????????????

>>This is the webpage
>>https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/florida-covid-cases.html
>>and if you go down to maybe the 3rd graph, under "Daily new hospital
>>admissions by age in Florida", each line has a color and the legend for
>>the colors is at the top, under 18, 18-20, 30-49. The desktop has
>>colors but the laptop is all just white** there.
>>
>>The very next graph shows a map of Florida and underneath it are 5 small
>>multicolored maps of Florida. Each color represents the Average daily
>>cases per 100,000 people in the past week, as shown by the legend
>>immediately above the 5 little maps. But again, the desktop has a
>>colors (starting at yellow gradually changing to very dark red) but the
>>laptop is all white/background color. In this case I note that above
>>each number there, 10, 20...250 is a very short vertical *black* line
>>and it too is missing from the laptop.
>>
>>How can this be? I've never made changes to windows or FF settings that
>>relate to color or to graphics.
>>
>>**I should add that windows Home on the laptop is fully updated but
>>because of a problem, windows Pro on the desktop has not been updated
>>for 2 years.
>>
>>Could the old version of Pro work better than the new version? Most of
>>you with Pro will have the fully updated version.
>>
>>Could Pro work better than Home?
>>
>>Is there some other difference?
>>Is there some other change I or MS made? (I note that the loudspeaker
>>icon and the network icon disappeared from the visible systray recently
>>and I didn't do that. I found them in the hidden part.)
>>
>>**Well the laptop background is always, everywhere a light shade of tan
>>-- is that a problem? Is it because of age? It's an old Acer. -- while
>>the desktop really is white just about everywhere.

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<ktmiaeF27r3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76440&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76440

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:36:45 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:36 UTC

micky wrote:

> Also noticed on the Windows Home laptop that on Amazon add that allow
> one to look at a video, if there is more than one video, on the other
> computer, the one that is playing is outlined in blue, but on this
> strange win-Home system, there is no indication, no outline,

Maybe take photos (not screenshots) of what the two screens show, and
post links?

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<ul5ekm$2reib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76441&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76441

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:38:12 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 22:38 UTC

On 12/10/2023 12:53 PM, micky wrote:

> Also noticed on the Windows Home laptop that on Amazon add that allow
> one to look at a video, if there is more than one video, on the other
> computer, the one that is playing is outlined in blue, but on this
> strange win-Home system, there is no indication, no outline,

Firefox: about:support # This gives details about graphics support.
# No, I don't expect you to read this, at first...
*******

And this tells you, what standards the GPU on each laptop support.
These machines might not have exactly-equal graphics standards.

The portable version should be sufficient (an EXE to run).

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4452-gpu-z.html

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/QtmvdBmL/GPUZ.gif

The deep color standards: the panel on the laptop might support the usual
8 bit color. A really cheap panel in the past, was 6 bit dithered color to
approximate 8 bit color. The GPU on the other hand, supports "deeper color"
standards, but without a panel to use them, they're never engaged. The GPU
also cannot produce the highest deep color standard (because that GPU
in the example is about seven years old).

*******

Because I know you're an intrepid scientist, who will go anywhere to
do research, you could download a Linux LiveDVD, boot it, and use the
Firefox on it, and visit the Amazon page from there. And see whether the
Linux LiveDVD displays the same on both machines.

It's easier to do lateral testing that way, than to try and tell "what
the differences are between two Windows machines". I just had a meltdown
here, yesterday on the Windows machine, and rather than research Windows,
I just did a Repair Install and the machine is now mostly returned to normal.

*******

I've been trying to fix the video on two local news stations in my web browsers.
It seems pretty close to the same day, both started using something in-compatible.

If I use yt-dlp, the file format downloaded seems to be an MP4. A
check with Linux file command, mentions ISO Apple iTunes as part
of the determination. As if perhaps, the news site only cares about
iPhone users. But you cannot be certain, what is presented in the
video player frame on the news site is the same file. It almost
seems at times, that WideVine is somehow involved (the browsers
without a WideVine plugin, won't play the video, and the entire
frame of the video player "disappears" as if it is disgusted
with the materials it has been given. But I can't be sure whether
it's WideVine or it's just an inability all of a sudden, to not
play an HTML5 video standard. Assuming we even have standards
any more.

Even trivial stuff, is almost impossible to debug. The developer tools
"do nothing" for me.

Paul

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<vi0dnitn6ovqr1djnltdfdqcabeo7ekblg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76442&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76442

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 22:56:33 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 03:56 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:38:12 -0500, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 12/10/2023 12:53 PM, micky wrote:
>

>> Also noticed on the Windows Home laptop that on Amazon add that allow
>> one to look at a video, if there is more than one video, on the other
>> computer, the one that is playing is outlined in blue, but on this
>> strange win-Home system, there is no indication, no outline,
>
>Firefox: about:support # This gives details about graphics support.
> # No, I don't expect you to read this, at first...
>*******
>
>And this tells you, what standards the GPU on each laptop support.
>These machines might not have exactly-equal graphics standards.
>
>The portable version should be sufficient (an EXE to run).

I missed the word 'portable' and dl'd the other version but didn't
install it. (It offered to ask me again the next time.)

Even here the difference surprised me. On the laptp-Home, it didn't
seem to want to start and of course said, if doesn't start in 10 second,
click HERE, so I did and I got 2 copies.

This didn't happen with 2-year-old Pro, but with it I got a medium sized
box with advertising and the word ad in the upper left corner, and
CONTINUE at the bottom.

Home has a graphics card Intel 5500, Pro 4600
Home has GPU Broadwell GT2 Pro Haswell GT2

There are too many differences to type them all here. It's going to be
a busy week but I'll find time to look and may post more data or
questions.

Also not enough time now to post photos, Andy.

If I didnt' have a second computer, none of the missing graphics would
bother me. Except for the legend in the original post here, I wouldn't
even notice that they're missing. Now that I know the legends are
missing from that one page, if it happens again, at least on this sort
of page, I could probably guess what the legend would be. (There were 6
lines for 6 age groupings and the older the line was for, the more often
they got Covid or the sicker they were. That's not a surpise. (For the
record, it went up about 50% for every 10 years increase in age.)

>https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4452-gpu-z.html

This looks like a really nice program to have. thanks.

> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/QtmvdBmL/GPUZ.gif

Althought this is such a difference it's worth saying now.

Home Pro
GPU Temperature 47-50C 63-66C
CPU Temperature 47-51C 63-67C

So the desktop is 16C, 29^F hotter than the laptop.

I thought laptops usually ran hotter than desktops because it's crowded
and the fan is not as good. 29 degrees seem like a lot.

>The deep color standards: the panel on the laptop might support the usual
>8 bit color. A really cheap panel in the past, was 6 bit dithered color to
>approximate 8 bit color. The GPU on the other hand, supports "deeper color"
>standards, but without a panel to use them, they're never engaged. The GPU
>also cannot produce the highest deep color standard (because that GPU
>in the example is about seven years old).
>
>*******
>
>Because I know you're an intrepid scientist, who will go anywhere to
>do research, you could download a Linux LiveDVD, boot it, and use the
>Firefox on it, and visit the Amazon page from there. And see whether the
>Linux LiveDVD displays the same on both machines.

I will go anywhere for science except to Linux. I was lost in the woods
as a small child and a Linux attacked me. No physical scars but deep
emotional ones. The doctor called it PLSD, Post linux stress disorder.
(I know some of the software I used to try to fix the computer 2 years
ago was Linux based, but it was covered from me so I was okay.)

>It's easier to do lateral testing that way, than to try and tell "what
>the differences are between two Windows machines". I just had a meltdown
>here, yesterday on the Windows machine, and rather than research Windows,
>I just did a Repair Install and the machine is now mostly returned to normal.
>
>*******
>
>I've been trying to fix the video on two local news stations in my web browsers.
>It seems pretty close to the same day, both started using something in-compatible.
>
>If I use yt-dlp, the file format downloaded seems to be an MP4. A
>check with Linux file command, mentions ISO Apple iTunes as part
>of the determination. As if perhaps, the news site only cares about
>iPhone users. But you cannot be certain, what is presented in the
>video player frame on the news site is the same file. It almost
>seems at times, that WideVine is somehow involved (the browsers
>without a WideVine plugin, won't play the video, and the entire
>frame of the video player "disappears" as if it is disgusted
>with the materials it has been given. But I can't be sure whether
>it's WideVine or it's just an inability all of a sudden, to not
>play an HTML5 video standard. Assuming we even have standards
>any more.
>
>Even trivial stuff, is almost impossible to debug. The developer tools
>"do nothing" for me.
>
> Paul

Re: Two computers display graphics differently

<e62dnihmuk6o3sgf3nuuspehvpgarcrk2f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76443&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76443

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 23:07:37 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 04:07 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 10 Dec 2023 22:56:33 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>>https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4452-gpu-z.html
>
>This looks like a really nice program to have. thanks.

BTW, like some similar programs, WRT Synergy 3, that allows one keyboard
and one mouse for two pc/monitors, when the focus in one computer is on
this GPU-Z window, moving the cursor to that monitor does not hand over
the keyboard or mouse to that pc/monitor.

Maximizing a youtube window might do the same thing. I know for sure
it keeps one of Nirsoft's utilities from working, the one that will
separately control muting of each application listed in Volume Mixer

Other windows that appear as small or medium boxes, with no possibilty
of maximizing, may do the same things.