No problem is insoluble. -- Dr. Janet Wallace, "The Deadly Years", stardate 3479.4

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutter

SubjectAuthor
* Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutterPeter
+- Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutterChar Jackson
+* Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutterPaul in Houston TX
|+- Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutterPeter
|`- Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutterBradley
`* Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutterGrant Taylor
 `* Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutterPeter
  +- Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutterOscar Mayer
  `- Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutterChar Jackson

1
Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutter

<ul7ojm$39pc7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76469&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76469

From: confused@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutter
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 19:40:39 +0000
 by: Peter - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 19:40 UTC

Have you ever had custom road sign letters (only) lasered using any
electronic vinyl cutter (onto sticky peel-off letters only)?
I want to make a road sign from an electronic vinyl cutter, which is how
they make road signs of just all the letters (no background is printed).

I will be using Calibre on Windows and then MS Office on Windows to
customize these PDF->MSOffice->PDF templates provided by the DOT.
https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/shsm_interim/

These electric vinyl cutters cut the letters out of a sheet of vinyl with a
laser and you get one sheet of material that you peel off all the letters
in a single step and place ONLY THOSE LETTERS onto the sign background.

It's not the kind of 1-piece vinyl sign you put on the side of your car.
Or the kind of 1-piece vinyl sign you put on your lawn to promote politics.

You peel the letters off their background in one step, and then you lay
those cutout sticky vinyl letters onto the sign background where the
background is not affected (usually the background is white or red).

The background of the sign remains what it was - as only the letters are
transferred to that sign background - where they peel away from the vinyl.

Anyone know of an Internet printer that uses the vinyl cutter process?

Re: Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutter

<a9reni5l3q2etc8a67st24rntv9o6evjnu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76474&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76474

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:19:51 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 20:19 UTC

On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 19:40:39 +0000, Peter <confused@nospam.net> wrote:

>Have you ever had custom road sign letters (only) lasered using any
>electronic vinyl cutter (onto sticky peel-off letters only)?
>I want to make a road sign from an electronic vinyl cutter, which is how
>they make road signs of just all the letters (no background is printed).
>
>I will be using Calibre on Windows and then MS Office on Windows to
>customize these PDF->MSOffice->PDF templates provided by the DOT.
> https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/shsm_interim/
>
>These electric vinyl cutters cut the letters out of a sheet of vinyl with a
>laser and you get one sheet of material that you peel off all the letters
>in a single step and place ONLY THOSE LETTERS onto the sign background.
>
>It's not the kind of 1-piece vinyl sign you put on the side of your car.
>Or the kind of 1-piece vinyl sign you put on your lawn to promote politics.
>
>You peel the letters off their background in one step, and then you lay
>those cutout sticky vinyl letters onto the sign background where the
>background is not affected (usually the background is white or red).
>
>The background of the sign remains what it was - as only the letters are
>transferred to that sign background - where they peel away from the vinyl.
>
>Anyone know of an Internet printer that uses the vinyl cutter process?

Internet printer? No, but there have been a slew of Youtube videos lately where
they use a laser engraver/cutter to cut vinyl into various shapes, including
letters.

I'm not sure where I saw the vinyl being cut, but it could have been on the
"Sawdust and Splinters" Youtube channel, or another channel that she referred to
in one of her videos. She's been testing a bunch of laser engraver/cutters
recently. Apparently, they're becoming quite affordable.

Sawdust and Splinters channel
https://www.youtube.com/@woodworkingwithSkyler

Re: Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutter

<ul80j5$3b3h7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76477&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76477

From: Paul@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:56:48 -0600
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 21:56 UTC

Peter wrote:
> Have you ever had custom road sign letters (only) lasered using any
> electronic vinyl cutter (onto sticky peel-off letters only)?
> I want to make a road sign from an electronic vinyl cutter, which is how
> they make road signs of just all the letters (no background is printed).
>
> I will be using Calibre on Windows and then MS Office on Windows to
> customize these PDF->MSOffice->PDF templates provided by the DOT.
> https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/shsm_interim/
>
> These electric vinyl cutters cut the letters out of a sheet of vinyl with a
> laser and you get one sheet of material that you peel off all the letters
> in a single step and place ONLY THOSE LETTERS onto the sign background.
>
> It's not the kind of 1-piece vinyl sign you put on the side of your car.
> Or the kind of 1-piece vinyl sign you put on your lawn to promote politics.
>
> You peel the letters off their background in one step, and then you lay
> those cutout sticky vinyl letters onto the sign background where the
> background is not affected (usually the background is white or red).
>
> The background of the sign remains what it was - as only the letters are
> transferred to that sign background - where they peel away from the vinyl.
>
> Anyone know of an Internet printer that uses the vinyl cutter process?

My employer purchases about $3k per month of vinyl letters for
regulatory lettering and signs from 5 or 6 suppliers. AFAIK, all use
knife type cutters. I did not know there was a laser vinyl cutter and
don't think that a laser would work very well with vinyl. There are
lots of knife type vinyl cutters available but I don't know of any that
allow use over the internet.

Re: Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutter

<ul89k5$3c9ee$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76483&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76483

From: confused@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 00:31:02 +0000
 by: Peter - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 00:31 UTC

Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:
>> Anyone know of an Internet printer that uses the vinyl cutter process?
>
> My employer purchases about $3k per month of vinyl letters for
> regulatory lettering and signs from 5 or 6 suppliers. AFAIK, all use
> knife type cutters. I did not know there was a laser vinyl cutter and
> don't think that a laser would work very well with vinyl. There are
> lots of knife type vinyl cutters available but I don't know of any that
> allow use over the internet.

A neighbor's kid, while he was in high school, took graphics arts and made
a bunch of signs for us that were this vinyl letter type you pull off.

I don't know what cut the letters - but I assumed it was a laser as they
were cut perfectly out of the thin layer of vinyl sheeting without error.

I don't know what it's called so I may have used the wrong names for it.
You tell them the color and you give them the PPT of the desired sign.

What comes back is a sheet of three-layers, the middle layer being the
vinyl letters that you pull up all at once from the sticky side and you lay
the entire sheet of letters backward, comprising the entire sign,
(including borders) onto the reflective white metal sign material.

Then you press it all onto that reflective metal sign and pull off the
clear plastic backing and that becomes a custom professional looking sign.

We were told that for legal reasons the main letters had to be 2 inches
tall at least, and the penal code had to be mentioned somewhere and we were
advised to use RoadGeek or Bahnshrift fonts to comply with DOT standards.

I just want to make more of those signs but the kid is in college now.

Re: Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutter

<ul8erb$brj$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76486&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76486

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 20:00:11 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 02:00 UTC

On 12/11/23 13:40, Peter wrote:
> Anyone know of an Internet printer that uses the vinyl cutter process?

I'm confident that there are multiple business that do this and make the
service accessible (in a way) over the Internet.

That being said, I don't know that it would appear as a network printer.
Usually you upload a file.

I would expect any decently sized copy / print shop like Kinkos to be
able to do this somewhere in the company, even if not at the local
store. At the very least they should be able to help you find someone
to do it.

I'd also expect any sign company to be able to help you.

P.S. I thought I had sent this reply, but it was sitting as a draft, so
I'm sending it now.

--
Grant. . . .

Re: Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutter

<ul8nnh$3hnna$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76488&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76488

From: confused@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 04:31:46 +0000
 by: Peter - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 04:31 UTC

Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> I would expect any decently sized copy / print shop like Kinkos to be
> able to do this somewhere in the company, even if not at the local
> store. At the very least they should be able to help you find someone
> to do it.
>
> I'd also expect any sign company to be able to help you.}

Well, if it was that easy, I wouldn't have bothered to ask. :)

My local Federal Express/Kinkos only prints a whole sign for you on
corrugated plastic. Not the letters only. And not on reflectorized metal.

I don't want the kinds of plastic signs people put on their front lawns.
And I don't want those magnetic types that people put on their car doors.

Kinkos won't print onto a standard piece of white reflective metal plate.
But I don't want them to print directly onto the sign material anyway.

I just want the vinyl letters.
They're sticky on one side.

You just peel them off the backing and place them in one step on the metal.
I've done it before but I had the local high school do the printing then.

That's not available to me now as the kid taking the class left long ago.

I'm trying to find an outfit where I can upload the sign PDF & they can
ship the printed letters that peel off a sheet that I stick onto the sign.

Re: Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutter

<ul8rnk$3i3qq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76489&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76489

From: bradley@nospam.com (Bradley)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 00:40:05 -0500
 by: Bradley - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 05:40 UTC

On 12/11/2023 4:56 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> AFAIK, all use
> knife type cutters. I did not know there was a laser vinyl cutter and
> don't think that a laser would work very well with vinyl.

This says they're all knife cutters but I don't think that matters for the
OP because he just wants them cut any way that they cut adhesive vinyl.

https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-laser-cut-self-adhesive-vinyl-letters.51608/

Re: Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutter

<ul8shv$3i6pv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76490&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76490

From: nobody@oscarmayer.com (Oscar Mayer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 00:54:08 -0500
 by: Oscar Mayer - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 05:54 UTC

On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 04:31:46 +0000, Peter wrote:

> I'm trying to find an outfit where I can upload the sign PDF & they can
> ship the printed letters that peel off a sheet that I stick onto the sign.

The problem isn't finding it but finding it at a good price.

These guys charge an outrageous price for example.
https://www.printmoz.com/vinyl-lettering

A typical 42-inch by 30-inch rectangular sign letter set is $210.
A typical 30-inch by 30-inch diagonal sign letter set is over $150.
A typical 12-inch by 18-inch rectangular sign letter set is $36.

That's just for the vinyl adhesive letters not counting the sign material.
You could probably get a non-custom sign with the metal plate for that.

What is your vinyl lettering made from?
https://www.printmoz.com/vinyl-lettering

Our custom vinyl lettering is made from 2.5 mil polymeric matte white
calendered vinyl coated with a clear permanent acrylic pressure-sensitive
adhesive laminated to a 90# layflat liner.

What is the process of vinyl cutting?
The CNC machine or vinyl cutter makes small intricate passes on the vinyl
material with a knife or blade during the production process. The unwanted
vinyl material is then weaved or "picked" from the adhesive backing,
leaving the desired graphics, logo, or intended design behind, pre spaced,
and ready for the installation of transfer tape. Transfer tape is then
applied over the face of the sticker, which holds the shape of the design
and allows for a more streamlined installation onto the desired surface in
one piece.

How much does it cost to get vinyl cut?
The cost to get vinyl lettering or letters cut is based on the sqft of the
material for the print job.

Re: Custom MS Office road sign lasered on an electronic vinyl cutter

<g0shnih321d9dahs701ugg9mo7qohuqec7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76530&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76530

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 17:44:19 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 23:44 UTC

On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 04:31:46 +0000, Peter <confused@nospam.net> wrote:

>Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
>> I would expect any decently sized copy / print shop like Kinkos to be
>> able to do this somewhere in the company, even if not at the local
>> store. At the very least they should be able to help you find someone
>> to do it.
>>
>> I'd also expect any sign company to be able to help you.}
>
>Well, if it was that easy, I wouldn't have bothered to ask. :)
>
>My local Federal Express/Kinkos only prints a whole sign for you on
>corrugated plastic. Not the letters only. And not on reflectorized metal.
>
>I don't want the kinds of plastic signs people put on their front lawns.
>And I don't want those magnetic types that people put on their car doors.
>
>Kinkos won't print onto a standard piece of white reflective metal plate.
>But I don't want them to print directly onto the sign material anyway.
>
>I just want the vinyl letters.
>They're sticky on one side.
>
>You just peel them off the backing and place them in one step on the metal.
>I've done it before but I had the local high school do the printing then.
>
>That's not available to me now as the kid taking the class left long ago.
>
>I'm trying to find an outfit where I can upload the sign PDF & they can
>ship the printed letters that peel off a sheet that I stick onto the sign.

Are you still having problems with trespassers up there in the hills where you
live?