From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Simple technical question
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 07:55:42 -0500
 by: knuttle - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 12:55 UTC

I have a laptop that belongs to the organization I work for. I only
use the computer 5 or 6 times per week.

I know Window 10 phones home when first started and will download thing
that are necessary.

QUESTION: Does Windows phone home before or after logging into the computer?

So Windows can get its morning choirs done, I turn it on an hour or so
before the meeting. I this way the security program can do its thing,
and the OS can do its daily task so they are done before I get to the
meeting

If Windows phones home and does its thing before the log in that means I
can turn it on an hour or so before the meeting where it will be need,
and it will call its mother, and we are done with it for the day.

If you need to log in before it makes it call, I will have to log in to
accomplish the same thing

Re: Simple technical question

<j62eniln4kr3cvglutaghbn7e4t3alokan@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76450&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76450

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Simple technical question
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 06:07:25 -0700
 by: KenW - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:07 UTC

On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 07:55:42 -0500, knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have a laptop that belongs to the organization I work for. I only
>use the computer 5 or 6 times per week.
>
>I know Window 10 phones home when first started and will download thing
>that are necessary.
>
>QUESTION: Does Windows phone home before or after logging into the computer?
>
>So Windows can get its morning choirs done, I turn it on an hour or so
>before the meeting. I this way the security program can do its thing,
>and the OS can do its daily task so they are done before I get to the
>meeting
>
>If Windows phones home and does its thing before the log in that means I
>can turn it on an hour or so before the meeting where it will be need,
>and it will call its mother, and we are done with it for the day.
>
>If you need to log in before it makes it call, I will have to log in to
>accomplish the same thing

Get O&O Software "Shut Up 10". It takes care of Plenty of Windows
Garbage 10 & 11. Been using it for a long time and seems to work well.

KenW

Re: Simple technical question

<ktp30oFk556U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76456&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76456

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:34:02 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:34 UTC

KenW wrote:

> Get O&O Software "Shut Up 10". It takes care of Plenty of Windows
> Garbage 10 & 11. Been using it for a long time and seems to work well.

On a computer you don't own, probably don't have admin rights to, and
when you could probably face disciplinary action for installing
unauthorised software?

Re: Simple technical question

<XnsB0D77A36DC918auricauricauricauric@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76461&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76461

From: not.my.real@email.address (Auric__)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 19:00:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Auric__ - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 19:00 UTC

knuttle wrote:

> I have a laptop that belongs to the organization I work for. I only
> use the computer 5 or 6 times per week.
>
> I know Window 10 phones home when first started and will download thing
> that are necessary.
>
> QUESTION: Does Windows phone home before or after logging into the
> computer?
>
> So Windows can get its morning choirs done, I turn it on an hour or so
> before the meeting. I this way the security program can do its thing,
> and the OS can do its daily task so they are done before I get to the
> meeting
>
> If Windows phones home and does its thing before the log in that means I
> can turn it on an hour or so before the meeting where it will be need,
> and it will call its mother, and we are done with it for the day.
>
> If you need to log in before it makes it call, I will have to log in to
> accomplish the same thing

So sidestep the issue and just log in. Then you don't need to worry about
whether or not you need to be logged in.

FWIW, most systems have certain tasks they do the first time a user logs in
after boot. I don't know if Windows is one of them, but I'd be surprised if
it wasn't. Also, it's possible to have startup tasks that run upon login, not
upon start.

....but I agree, in general, with KenW's suggestion of blocking Windows
phoning home. If you can do it without making changes to the laptop, i.e. at
the router, then I would do so. (As Andy Burns said, making changes to the
laptop without permission is likely to lead to Bad Things(TM) happening to
your employment status.)

--
It's never as bad as you think, it's never as good as you think.

Re: Simple technical question

<ul7meq$39b6h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76462&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76462

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:03:54 -0500
 by: knuttle - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 19:03 UTC

On 12/11/2023 1:34 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> KenW wrote:
>
>> Get O&O Software "Shut Up 10". It takes care of Plenty of Windows
>> Garbage 10 & 11. Been using it for a long time and seems to work well.
>
> On a computer you don't own, probably don't have admin rights to, and
> when you could probably face disciplinary action for installing
> unauthorised software?

I have administrative rights on the computer but only want to know if
the computer will phone home and do its thing before the person logs
into the computer.

Re: Simple technical question

<ktp5ueFk556U7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76466&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76466

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 19:23:59 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 19:23 UTC

knuttle wrote:

> I have administrative rights on the computer but only want to know if
> the computer will phone home and do its thing before the person logs
> into the computer.

"phone home" is a woolly phrase, certainly it can be checking for
upgrades while you're not logged in, sending telemetry back to
microsoft, syncing onedrive, depending whether/how it's joined to a
domain, retrieving latest settings pushed out to it by company policies,
etc...

Re: Simple technical question

<ul7q7h$3a2pq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76473&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76473

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:08:16 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 20:08 UTC

On 12/11/2023 7:55 AM, knuttle wrote:
> I have a laptop that belongs to the organization I work for.   I only use the computer 5 or 6 times per week.
>
> I know Window 10 phones home when first started and will download thing that are necessary.
>
> QUESTION: Does Windows phone home before or after logging into the computer?
>
> So Windows can get its morning choirs done,  I turn it on an hour or so before the meeting.  I this way the security program can do its thing, and the OS can do its daily task so they are done before I get to the meeting
>
> If Windows phones home and does its thing before the log in that means I can turn it on an hour or so before the meeting where it will be need, and it will call its mother, and we are done with it for the day.
>
> If you need to log in before it makes it call,  I will have to log in to accomplish the same thing

If you watch carefully, AFTER you log in, three black panes
flash on the screen. These are coincidental Command Prompt windows.

When a computer is running really slow, the windows stay on
the screen longer, and you can see they are related to USO,
which is an Orchestrator that makes sure Windows Update gets done.
USO is a "boss" of Windows Update, and orders it around.

The Windows Update scanner starts after the three panes disappear.

USO was originally intended for Enterprise, and it was being
tested on Home user machines. But it remains today (as far as I know),
and is a permanent fixture at login time.

There are things like Scheduled Tasks, that can do a "delayed start"
after the desktop appears, and that could be the trigger, rather
than the three Command Prompt things being Startup Items.

The answer is, login right after startup, leave machine to think
if it wishes. But note that, as of a late change, Windows Update
now considers "when the electricity is GREENIST", and the side-effect
of such silly crap, is the machine may do some small updates,
and artificially "hold off" on doing some bigger one. This
is naturally, intended to make machines wholly unmanageable.

And I know you are trying to manage your machine, and make
it useful one hour after fire-up. And the way things are going,
we're drifting into "stupid territory" again, where you can
be doing a Powerpoint on the wall, and suddenly a prompt to
reboot appears in the corner of your sales pitch. Not Good.

And you may wonder why we can't answer your questions :-/
And why my machine is broken right now, and I'm using a
backup NIC to make it work. (I'm using an ASIX USB to Ethernet
adapter for my network connection. It... works.) I'm currently
going through rollbacks, to try and fix it in the time domain.
That's because the ENUM hack no longer works (the hardware
does not forget all of its enumerations and start over again,
like it should).

The desktop computer, might as well be a SmartPhone, for all
the control I've got over it.

Paul