The world is coming to an end--save your buffers!

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 seconds

SubjectAuthor
* What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 secondsmicky
+- What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy forPaul
+* What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 secondsVanguardLH
|+- What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy forPaul
|`- What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 secondsmicky
`* What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy forknuttle
 `- What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 secondsmicky

1
What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 seconds

<td6aoi9o8o3ut1cq1bhdiuf0k1qc6185sg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76657&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76657

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 seconds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 00:13:16 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 05:13 UTC

I understand why, when I'm using 98% of cpu or 95% of memory, I get a
faded screen and a lasting hourglass. It has to get things done before
it can work on what I just asked it to do.

But why does that happen sometimes when I'm using 30-38% of the CPU and
40% of the memory? Why does it take 10 or 15 seconds for the hourglass
to go away and the screen to be at normal contrast? What is it doing?
Is there any process I could stop to make it stop doing this? Any
other remedy?

In this case I hadn't touched the compute for a half hour and I was just
trying to type in a google search box in Firefox, in win10 PRO

Re: What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 seconds

<um38v5$1f9bl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76658&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76658

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for
15 seconds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 01:05:24 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 06:05 UTC

On 12/22/2023 12:13 AM, micky wrote:
> I understand why, when I'm using 98% of cpu or 95% of memory, I get a
> faded screen and a lasting hourglass. It has to get things done before
> it can work on what I just asked it to do.
>
> But why does that happen sometimes when I'm using 30-38% of the CPU and
> 40% of the memory? Why does it take 10 or 15 seconds for the hourglass
> to go away and the screen to be at normal contrast? What is it doing?
> Is there any process I could stop to make it stop doing this? Any
> other remedy?
>
> In this case I hadn't touched the compute for a half hour and I was just
> trying to type in a google search box in Firefox, in win10 PRO

Roll it back to Windows XP ?

Windows XP was "our best OS yet".

What is the frequency of occurrence ? Sometimes. Or every time.

This is a bit like asking the question "what color is puke".
Well, it depends on what you've eaten :-) How can we possibly
guess what trap you have set for yourself and fallen in ?
You have a pile of File Explorer replacements loaded.

I can tell that:

1) Machine has a rotating hard drive.
2) Power schema is set to "Balanced".
3) Windows does random maintenance, while you sleep.
And if you try to benchmark, then the maintenance
increases to compete with you. You may ask the question
"how many times can you shine a pair of shoes?".
The Microsoft answer to that, the maintenance answer is "Infinity".
"I have scanned your computer 7 times and not found any malware".
Good boy. Here is a cookie, Microsoft.

The OS can suspend applications.
The company has a program in place, "to implement power saving
and save the planet". Even though Windows Update is a wretched piece
of crap with a gigantic power footprint. The OS has a Memory Compressor.
You cannot see it in Task Manager. You can see it in Process Explorer
from Sysinternals. The reason it is <cough> invisible, is because
one of the fields in the metadata is blank.

Memory compressor.
System read cache (non-bookable).
System write cache (books the space, competes with your mallocs)
Automated defragmentation.
SysMain file rearrangement for faster access.
Background disk integrity checking.
Screwing with your screen appearance.
Mucking up your drivers (my broken Realtek, that runs in Linux).

Paul

Re: What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 seconds

<178se8k6dm4zm.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76660&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76660

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 03:02:40 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 09:02 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> I understand why, when I'm using 98% of cpu or 95% of memory, I get a
> faded screen and a lasting hourglass. It has to get things done before
> it can work on what I just asked it to do.
>
> But why does that happen sometimes when I'm using 30-38% of the CPU and
> 40% of the memory? Why does it take 10 or 15 seconds for the hourglass
> to go away and the screen to be at normal contrast? What is it doing?
> Is there any process I could stop to make it stop doing this? Any
> other remedy?
>
> In this case I hadn't touched the compute for a half hour and I was just
> trying to type in a google search box in Firefox, in win10 PRO

If the data bus is overloaded, everything slows. Doesn't take much CPU
or memory to issue a request to transfer a huge block of data across the
bus, like for file changes.

Been way too long since I use the Resource Monitor to remember if it
show the level of data bus traffic. Paul might know.

Re: What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 seconds

<um3mfo$1h4cf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76661&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76661

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
15 seconds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 04:56:07 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 09:56 UTC

On 12/22/2023 4:02 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I understand why, when I'm using 98% of cpu or 95% of memory, I get a
>> faded screen and a lasting hourglass. It has to get things done before
>> it can work on what I just asked it to do.
>>
>> But why does that happen sometimes when I'm using 30-38% of the CPU and
>> 40% of the memory? Why does it take 10 or 15 seconds for the hourglass
>> to go away and the screen to be at normal contrast? What is it doing?
>> Is there any process I could stop to make it stop doing this? Any
>> other remedy?
>>
>> In this case I hadn't touched the compute for a half hour and I was just
>> trying to type in a google search box in Firefox, in win10 PRO
>
> If the data bus is overloaded, everything slows. Doesn't take much CPU
> or memory to issue a request to transfer a huge block of data across the
> bus, like for file changes.
>
> Been way too long since I use the Resource Monitor to remember if it
> show the level of data bus traffic. Paul might know.

No, I don't think it gives that info.

perfmon /res

The CPU has performance counters, and the Throttlegate dude, in his
PDF, he shows how to access the hardware-level performance counters.
That's the only potential mechanism I know of. That was an incident,
where Dell sold two laptop models, that slowed to a crawl when they
got warm. And the bad part -- machine cools off, and does not speed
back up again. The Throttlegate guy then used performance counters
to highlight what they were up to at Dell.

You can setup Process Monitor, to do any kind of trace you want.
It can do a shutdown trace. It can do a startup trace. Or,
you can leave it running mid-session, and it will trace activity
while the machine fiddles at your expense.

It can record 199 million events, and I've done 20 minute traces
without running out of resources.

Even the OS does ETW traces, while you are doing ETW traces. Some of the
logfiles in Windows, are recorded as ETW traces, then converted later
into text. It's a subsystem that sees a lot of usage.

Process Monitor, is the software from Russinovich. Whereas
the WPA kit from Microsoft, is the Microsoft guy version of tracing.
It has a fancy GUI for displaying results. But that one has the
usual problem, of not telling you what SVCHOST is doing this
or that. You need to capture tasklist /svc while tracing, so you
have a "map" later of SVCHOST versus PID.

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

https://i.postimg.cc/25WKRmn5/wpa.gif

I find Process Monitor almost comprehensible, by comparison.
(And last I checked, no, there isn't a Linux one.)

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Paul

Re: What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 seconds

<um3qv9$1hnlb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76663&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76663

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
15 seconds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 06:12:40 -0500
 by: knuttle - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:12 UTC

On 12/22/2023 12:13 AM, micky wrote:
> I understand why, when I'm using 98% of cpu or 95% of memory, I get a
> faded screen and a lasting hourglass. It has to get things done before
> it can work on what I just asked it to do.
>
> But why does that happen sometimes when I'm using 30-38% of the CPU and
> 40% of the memory? Why does it take 10 or 15 seconds for the hourglass
> to go away and the screen to be at normal contrast? What is it doing?
> Is there any process I could stop to make it stop doing this? Any
> other remedy?
>
> In this case I hadn't touched the compute for a half hour and I was just
> trying to type in a google search box in Firefox, in win10 PRO
What is the CPU, the Ram, and storage requirements on you computer?
What OS ie version are you using?

Re: What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 seconds

<9quboitp8mshqd8bdhuus4a829t6qtg50t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76670&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76670

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:11:05 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 21:11 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 22 Dec 2023 06:12:40 -0500, knuttle
<keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 12/22/2023 12:13 AM, micky wrote:
>> I understand why, when I'm using 98% of cpu or 95% of memory, I get a
>> faded screen and a lasting hourglass. It has to get things done before
>> it can work on what I just asked it to do.
>>
>> But why does that happen sometimes when I'm using 30-38% of the CPU and
>> 40% of the memory? Why does it take 10 or 15 seconds for the hourglass
>> to go away and the screen to be at normal contrast? What is it doing?
>> Is there any process I could stop to make it stop doing this? Any
>> other remedy?
>>
>> In this case I hadn't touched the compute for a half hour and I was just
>> trying to type in a google search box in Firefox, in win10 PRO

>What is the CPU, the Ram, and storage requirements on you computer?
>What OS ie version are you using?

Sorry, no time for all that today I was hoping for a generic answer
anyhyow.

Re: What is it doing when it's not doing much but it's still busy for 15 seconds

<1muboid0mae753ra28t6fn2m9fjnpb9vpp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76671&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76671

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:12:16 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 21:12 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 22 Dec 2023 03:02:40 -0600,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I understand why, when I'm using 98% of cpu or 95% of memory, I get a
>> faded screen and a lasting hourglass. It has to get things done before
>> it can work on what I just asked it to do.
>>
>> But why does that happen sometimes when I'm using 30-38% of the CPU and
>> 40% of the memory? Why does it take 10 or 15 seconds for the hourglass
>> to go away and the screen to be at normal contrast? What is it doing?
>> Is there any process I could stop to make it stop doing this? Any
>> other remedy?
>>
>> In this case I hadn't touched the compute for a half hour and I was just
>> trying to type in a google search box in Firefox, in win10 PRO
>
>If the data bus is overloaded, everything slows. Doesn't take much CPU
>or memory to issue a request to transfer a huge block of data across the
>bus, like for file changes.

Okay.

>Been way too long since I use the Resource Monitor to remember if it

I used to have Resource Monitor. It has a lot of output iirc and I
didn't know how to limit it, but maybe I should look at it now.