From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Nice refurbished computer
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 01:01:30 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 05:01 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:43:52 -0700, Stan
Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 08:39:56 -0500, Johnny wrote:
>>
>> I ran across this while looking for another computer. I thought you
>> Windows 10 users might be interested.
>>
>> It's a four year old model, and it's cheap.
>>
>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Restored-Dell-OptiPlex-7050-Small-Desktop-Computer-SFF/1338227854
>
>With an i5 chip, I don't think it will run Windows 11. The other
>specs look decent.
>
>One thing is worrying, though: "This product may not have been
>manufacturer certified but has been professionally inspected, tested
>and cleaned by Walmart Restored Program Sellers and Suppliers." I
>would be a little nervous about the extent to which Walmart would
>refurbish a computer.
>
>But there's nothing wrong with refurb units in general. In December
>2021 I bought a refurb Optiplex from Discount Electronics
><https://discountelectronics.com/>

Good to know about such stores.

Here'ws a nice looking laptop.

https://discountelectronics.com/windows-11-ready-dell-latitude-i5-ssd-13-business-laptop

It offers win11 for $30 addtional.

What about 11 is better than 10?

Are they things I would ever use?

Right now I have desktop and laptop win10 computers and afaik, there's
nothing I can't do, at least that I want to do.

>i7, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, optical drive, several USB 3.0 ports.
>Including a 23" monitor and shipping, with 1-year warranty, it was
>just over $600. A friend who is an independent IT guy has bought from
>them for years for his clients, and there have been no problems.

Re: Nice refurbished computer

<tvp55a$2lbv8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76970&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76970

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 06:01:14 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 10:01 UTC

On 3/26/2023 1:01 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:43:52 -0700, Stan
> Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 08:39:56 -0500, Johnny wrote:
>>>
>>> I ran across this while looking for another computer. I thought you
>>> Windows 10 users might be interested.
>>>
>>> It's a four year old model, and it's cheap.
>>>
>>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Restored-Dell-OptiPlex-7050-Small-Desktop-Computer-SFF/1338227854
>>
>> With an i5 chip, I don't think it will run Windows 11. The other
>> specs look decent.
>>
>> One thing is worrying, though: "This product may not have been
>> manufacturer certified but has been professionally inspected, tested
>> and cleaned by Walmart Restored Program Sellers and Suppliers." I
>> would be a little nervous about the extent to which Walmart would
>> refurbish a computer.
>>
>> But there's nothing wrong with refurb units in general. In December
>> 2021 I bought a refurb Optiplex from Discount Electronics
>> <https://discountelectronics.com/>
>
> Good to know about such stores.
>
> Here'ws a nice looking laptop.
>
> https://discountelectronics.com/windows-11-ready-dell-latitude-i5-ssd-13-business-laptop
>
> It offers win11 for $30 addtional.
>
> What about 11 is better than 10?
>
> Are they things I would ever use?
>
> Right now I have desktop and laptop win10 computers and afaik, there's
> nothing I can't do, at least that I want to do.
>

>> i7, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, optical drive, several USB 3.0 ports.
>> Including a 23" monitor and shipping, with 1-year warranty, it was
>> just over $600. A friend who is an independent IT guy has bought from
>> them for years for his clients, and there have been no problems.

8th gen Kaby Lake processor. 1.6GHz ?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/124967/intel-core-i58250u-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html

Shockingly, it is on the Windows 11 compatibility list.

Being a Latitude, the machine probably has a TPM (for Secure Boot).

I would stick with Windows 10 on a machine like that. As it is
less likely to receive a mod you don't like, on Patch Tuesday.

And you would not pay $30, since a free upgrade to Win11 would be free.
Receiving a copy of W10, covers you for W10 and W11. You could
even dual-boot if you wanted to, by getting it with W10.

Before Patch Tuesday, my W11 machine had a half-height Taskbar.
After Patch Tuesday, it got a wasteful full-height Taskbar
which I cannot adjust. That's an example of an <cough> improvement.

And if I want to use my webcam, I use it on Windows 7. As my webcam
has been buggered since FrameServe was introduced (cannot switch
to full resolution).

Modern OSes are for rich guys with money to burn. I should
buy a new webcam because <assholes>.

Paul

Re: Nice refurbished computer

<MPG.3e8a153497c2d9949900ad@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76972&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76972

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 09:39:57 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 16:39 UTC

On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 01:01:30 -0400, micky wrote:
> https://discountelectronics.com/windows-11-ready-dell-latitude-i5-ssd-13-business-laptop
>
> It offers win11 for $30 addtional.
>
> What about 11 is better than 10?

In my mind, the most important thing is that it will continue getting
security updates longer than Windows 10 will.

Windows 10 is already no longer getting feature updates, though what
I've read about the feature updates to Windows 11 doesn't make me
feel like I'm missing anything important.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Nice refurbished computer

<ae012ilsf5d1agqq0g4emmn41nmheckfqg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76975&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76975

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 10:40:05 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 17:40 UTC

On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 09:39:57 -0700, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 01:01:30 -0400, micky wrote:
>> https://discountelectronics.com/windows-11-ready-dell-latitude-i5-ssd-13-business-laptop
>>
>> It offers win11 for $30 addtional.
>>
>> What about 11 is better than 10?
>
>In my mind, the most important thing is that it will continue getting
>security updates longer than Windows 10 will.
>
>Windows 10 is already no longer getting feature updates, though what
>I've read about the feature updates to Windows 11 doesn't make me
>feel like I'm missing anything important.

I also don't think you're missing anything terribly important.

To me, the most important thing is that as new hardware and new
software is released, someone with an older version of Windows may
find that he wants something new that won't work with the Windows
version he has.

That's probably not yet true, but it will start to happen in the
future, You'll want a new printer that doesn't have a driver for 10,
you'll want the latest version of program X, that won't run on 10,
etc.

Also since the upgrade from 10 to 11 is free, there's really no
downside to upgrading if your hardware supports 11.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Nice refurbished computer