From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Toggle a taskbar icon depending on the current status of Windows services
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 20:02:03 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 00:02 UTC

Has anyone on this newsgroup ever written code that will toggle the color
of the Windows taskbar icon based on a status check of Windows services?
<https://i.postimg.cc/YS65NTwd/icon01.jpg>

The use model would be similar to the "nettoggle" taskbar icon which
toggles the gateway on and off to instantly disconnect from the Internet.
RED = Intranet only
GREEN = Internet also

That's useful when you are torrenting, for example, where you want to stay
alive unless the VPN drops and then you want the Internet to disappear, or,
it's useful when you're installing software that phones home afterward.

Being able to toggle a taskbar icon color has uses in many areas though.
<https://i.postimg.cc/mkLPrZpG/spooler01.jpg>

Specifically it would be nice to use with the recent tutorial for toggling
network services (such as the print spooler) that was recently posted here:
*Command in batch to start & stop the print spooler*
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.msdos.batch/c/aQs1hg1he88>

Sometimes, there are clever ways to do what everyone would love to have.
How would you toggle the color or shape of a shortcut icon based on status?
--
Usenet is a way to team up with intelligent people who care about others.