BYTE editors are people who separate the wheat from the chaff, and then carefully print the chaff.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates

SubjectAuthor
* Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updatespinnerite
+* Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updatesT
|`* Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updatesDanS
| +- Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updatesT
| `- Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates...winston
+- Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updatesAllanH
+* Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updatesNewyana2
|`* Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updatesPaul
| `- Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updatesNewyana2
`- Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updatesdyno dan

1
Re: Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates

<u3j35f$14s75$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=71861&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71861

From: nospam@unokix.invalid (AllanH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 10:55:27 -0500
 by: AllanH - Thu, 11 May 2023 15:55 UTC

On 5/11/2023 6:15 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> To prevent further damage, yesterday I turned off uppdates.
> That has been ignored and once again it has come up with no icons!
> I will try to undo the update. :(

My favorite Freeware program to disable Windows Updates is Winaero
Tweaker. The option is in the Behavior category. Windows Updates will
stay disabled unless you change it back.

https://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker/

Re: Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates

<u3j6hn$1596o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=71866&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71866

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 09:53:11 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 11 May 2023 16:53 UTC

On 5/11/23 04:15, pinnerite wrote:
> To prevent further damage, yesterday I turned off uppdates.
> That has been ignored and once again it has come up with no icons!
> I will try to undo the update. :(
Hi Pine,
I have had several business customers tell
me that the DAMAGE that M$'s updates have
caused their business pales in comparison
to anything a virus has ever done to them.
(They have not met ransomware yet!)
And no, they can't move to a stable operating
system like Linux of MacOS as they can't get
the software they need to run their businesses
on those OS'es.
Unless you "disable" the update service, you
can't get rid of it.
--> <win><R> services.msc
--> scroll down to ‘Windows Update’ service
--> Right-click on it and select Properties
--> Change the Startup type to Disabled
--> click Ok.
Now be careful, if you have any pending updates,
there is a big possibility the next time you
reboot that Updates will be turned back on.
So reboot and double check!
I personally leave al my Windows virtual machine's
updates off. When a customer calls and I need
to follow along on a VM, I CAN NOT have my
machine down waiting for some Bull S*** update
to complete.
HTH,
-T

Re: Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates

<XnsB001B3A3A7276thisnthatroadrunnern@69.80.101.23>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=71881&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71881

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m (DanS)
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 21:39:34 +0000
 by: DanS - Thu, 11 May 2023 21:39 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote in

> On 5/11/23 04:15, pinnerite wrote:
>> To prevent further damage, yesterday I turned off
>> uppdates. That has been ignored and once again it has come
>> up with no icons! I will try to undo the update. :(
>
> Hi Pine,
>
> I have had several business customers tell
> me that the DAMAGE that M$'s updates have
> caused their business pales in comparison
> to anything a virus has ever done to them.

<SNIP>

While not infallible, Windows updates didn't really cause widespread havoc *that*
often. Once the bugs were worked out (reduced really) it seems 'bad' updates are and
have been fairly rare.

> Unless you "disable" the update service, you
> can't get rid of it.
>
> --> <win><R> services.msc
> --> scroll down to ‘Windows Update’ service
> --> Right-click on it and select Properties
> --> Change the Startup type to Disabled
> --> click Ok.

I think it's more involved than that. I recall havnig to set a group policy, and maybe
something else.

I've got a couple W10 boxes at home that just get notifications that new updates are
available, but also told that 'updates are managed by my organization', so it doesn't
update. We're not running a domain, as I beleive thats related tot he policy that was
set.

And then there's a laptop and the wife's PC, that I didn't do the correct voodoo on, that
do update.

> Now be careful, if you have any pending updates,
> there is a big possibility the next time you
> reboot that Updates will be turned back on.
> So reboot and double check!
>
> I personally leave al my Windows virtual machine's
> updates off. When a customer calls and I need
> to follow along on a VM, I CAN NOT have my
> machine down waiting for some Bull S*** update
> to complete
> Attachment decoded: untitled-1.txt

Re: Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates

<u3jodg$178lm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=71883&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71883

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 14:58:07 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 11 May 2023 21:58 UTC

On 5/11/23 14:39, DanS wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote in
>
>> On 5/11/23 04:15, pinnerite wrote:
>>> To prevent further damage, yesterday I turned off
>>> uppdates. That has been ignored and once again it has come
>>> up with no icons! I will try to undo the update. :(
>>
>> Hi Pine,
>>
>> I have had several business customers tell
>> me that the DAMAGE that M$'s updates have
>> caused their business pales in comparison
>> to anything a virus has ever done to them.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> While not infallible, Windows updates didn't really cause widespread havoc *that*
> often. Once the bugs were worked out (reduced really) it seems 'bad' updates are and
> have been fairly rare.

Remember that I only et called when all hell breaks loose.
The worse one was an build update that occurred at
a customer site whilst customers were impatient for
invoices and quotes tapping the foot in front of the
customer. He flipped the power off and back on
three times and he was toast.
It is almost always the customer panicking or
getting impatient during the update process.
The process itself is fairly reliable, well
for M$. I have frequently told customers to
just walk away for a few hours.
The best recommendations I can make for update
self defense (other than disabling updates completely)
is to switch to an NVMe drive, that way updates
install in a reasonable amount of time. And to
just walk away when it takes a while.

>> Unless you "disable" the update service, you
>> can't get rid of it.
>>
>> --> <win><R> services.msc
>> --> scroll down to ‘Windows Update’ service
>> --> Right-click on it and select Properties
>> --> Change the Startup type to Disabled
>> --> click Ok.
>
> I think it's more involved than that. I recall havnig to set a group policy, and maybe
> something else.
Actually it is just that easy. I have done it to all my Virtual Machines

> I've got a couple W10 boxes at home that just get notifications that new updates are
> available, but also told that 'updates are managed by my organization', so it doesn't
> update. We're not running a domain, as I beleive thats related tot he policy that was
> set.
>
> And then there's a laptop and the wife's PC, that I didn't do the correct voodoo on, that
> do update.
Pat monitor gently and tell it that it is
your favorite. Don't let your computer
hear you cuss at it. They are VERY vindictive
and have LONG memories!
It works better than accusing your computer of
its parents not being married.
(Please no one take the above silliness as literal!)

>> Now be careful, if you have any pending updates,
>> there is a big possibility the next time you
>> reboot that Updates will be turned back on.
>> So reboot and double check!
>>
>> I personally leave al my Windows virtual machine's
>> updates off. When a customer calls and I need
>> to follow along on a VM, I CAN NOT have my
>> machine down waiting for some Bull S*** update
>> to complete
>> Attachment decoded: untitled-1.txt

Re: Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates

<u3joh9$17bd8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=71884&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71884

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 18:00:08 -0400
 by: ...winston - Thu, 11 May 2023 22:00 UTC

DanS wrote:

> I've got a couple W10 boxes at home that just get notifications that new updates are
> available, but also told that 'updates are managed by my organization', so it doesn't
> update. We're not running a domain, as I beleive thats related tot he policy that was
> set.

Managed by 'organization. in a non-domain joined or non-server managed
environment is a clear indication of:
- GPO enabling or disabling a setting
- Registry change
- Some AV/AM programs protection mechanism that control your browser
- Browser hijacked(not seen often since most browser's security are
now hardened(or have been).
- Diagnostic Data disabled(like the above,not seen very often, but
there are incidents where tweak-happy end-users or computer support
personnel intervene)

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates

<u3jtiv$17u1q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=71887&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71887

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 19:26:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 11 May 2023 23:26 UTC

On 5/11/2023 7:54 AM, Newyana2 wrote:
> "pinnerite" <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote
>

> | To prevent further damage, yesterday I turned off uppdates.
> | That has been ignored and once again it has come up with no icons!
> | I will try to undo the update. :(
> |

> I naively disabled BITS and WindowsUpdate services.
> Winds turns them back on, apparently via an update "health"
> service that can't be disabled. I later found this:

There are two transport services. BITS is the original.
DoSVC is the current one. If DoSVC is down, it's possible
BITS can fill in for it.

Normally, on OS version upgrades, a thousand small packages
are downloaded to make an OS. If you use GPEDIT.msc and
you crunch down the settings for BITS and DoSVC, in
frustration, the update process switches to a monolithic
2.5GB file with packages in it. There are still a raft
of smaller bits and pieces so it's not as if "I won"
and got an ISO from them. But they are capable of
using a slightly different strategy if provoked.

You can have a bit of additional fun, messing with
their heads :-)

I tried not to reduce the maximum connections so much,
that the process deadlocked. That wasn't what I was
aiming for.

On one occasion, Windows Update managed to tip over my
router, cause the red light to flash, and make it reboot.
That's around the time I got interested.

Paul

Re: Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates

<u3k0s9$3jp41$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=71889&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#71889

From: Newyana2@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 20:21:53 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Fri, 12 May 2023 00:21 UTC

"Paul" <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote

| > I naively disabled BITS and WindowsUpdate services.
| > Winds turns them back on, apparently via an update "health"
| > service that can't be disabled. I later found this:
| | There are two transport services. BITS is the original.
| DoSVC is the current one. If DoSVC is down, it's possible
| BITS can fill in for it.

Thanks. I didn't know about DoSVC.

Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates

<20230511121550.496484df1f3ade72bb28d692@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77078&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77078

From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 12:15:50 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 11 May 2023 11:15 UTC

To prevent further damage, yesterday I turned off uppdates.
That has been ignored and once again it has come up with no icons!
I will try to undo the update. :(

--
Mint 21.1, kernel 5.15.0-67-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates

<u3il23$3ak8b$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77080&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77080

From: Newyana2@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 07:54:03 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Thu, 11 May 2023 11:54 UTC

"pinnerite" <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote

| To prevent further damage, yesterday I turned off uppdates.
| That has been ignored and once again it has come up with no icons!
| I will try to undo the update. :(

I naively disabled BITS and WindowsUpdate services.
Winds turns them back on, apparently via an update "health"
service that can't be disabled. I later found this:

Specify_target_Feature_Update_version_to_22H2.reg <=== six line text file,
as shown below
<=== keeps OS on
Windows 10 22H2 as update path

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"ProductVersion"="Windows 10" <===
Name the OS wanted
"TargetReleaseVersion"=dword:00000001
"TargetReleaseVersionInfo"="22H2" <===
Name the target here

There's also another Registry key. You can find it online. I think
I found it at grc.com. I'm not sure if any of this is failsafe, but I
think I'm currently at 20H2 and haven't seen an update screen
for some time, so it appears to work.

Re: Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates

<1bqp5i97sjg3erpit4k7nn7939l3ac22tr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77083&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77083

From: logic@is.important (dyno dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 09:17:40 -0400
 by: dyno dan - Thu, 11 May 2023 13:17 UTC

On Thu, 11 May 2023 12:15:50 +0100, pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com>
wrote:

>To prevent further damage, yesterday I turned off uppdates.
>That has been ignored and once again it has come up with no icons!
>I will try to undo the update. :(

In addition to what others have suggested, there is also this free
utility available:
https://www.greatis.com/stopupdates10/

Really simple. Start it and click on "stop Windows updates." When you
want to update, start it and click on "restore Windows updates."

I've been using it for a couple of years now. It does give you an ad
for their other products, but it is not annoying.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Windows-10 is ignoring my setting to turhn off updates