"I'm growing older, but not up." -- Jimmy Buffett

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / browser playlist in sequence on another computer

SubjectAuthor
* browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
+* browser playlist in sequence on another computerAndy Burns
|`* browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
| +* browser playlist in sequence on another computerAndy Burns
| |`* browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
| | +* browser playlist in sequence on another computerCarl Fink
| | |+* browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
| | |`* browser playlist in sequence on another computerKen Blake
| | | `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerKen Blake
| | |  `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerAndrew
| | |   `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerVanguardLH
| | |    `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerAndy Burns
| | |     `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerVanguardLH
| | |      `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerPaul
| | |       `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerAndy Burns
| | |        `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerdavid
| | |         `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerJoerg Walther
| | |          `- browser playlist in sequence on another computerdavid
| | +* browser playlist in sequence on another computerBig Al
| | |`- browser playlist in sequence on another computerdavid
| | +* browser playlist in sequence on another computerAndy Burns
| | |`- browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
| | +* browser playlist in sequence on another computerAndy Burns
| | |`- browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
| | `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerKees Nuyt
| |  +* browser playlist in sequence on another computerVanguardLH
| |  |`- browser playlist in sequence on another computerKees Nuyt
| |  `- browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
| `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerVanguardLH
|  `- browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
+* browser playlist in sequence on another computerHerbert Kleebauer
|`* browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
| +* browser playlist in sequence on another computerBig Al
| |`- browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
| `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerHerbert Kleebauer
|  `- browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
`* browser playlist in sequence on another computerwasbit
 `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
  +* browser playlist in sequence on another computerHerbert Kleebauer
  |`* browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
  | +- browser playlist in sequence on another computerAndy Burns
  | `- browser playlist in sequence on another computerdavid
  `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerwasbit
   `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
    +* browser playlist in sequence on another computerHerbert Kleebauer
    |`* browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
    | +- browser playlist in sequence on another computerHerbert Kleebauer
    | `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerJoerg Walther
    |  `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerPaul
    |   `* browser playlist in sequence on another computerPatrick
    |    `- browser playlist in sequence on another computerJoerg Walther
    `- browser playlist in sequence on another computerwasbit

Pages:123
browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umdg8d$ebi9$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77178&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77178

From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Subject: browser playlist in sequence on another computer
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 21:11:09 -0600
 by: Patrick - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 03:11 UTC

Is there a windows program that can create on one desktop a youtube
playlist text file (of maybe a dozen or two dozen video urls) which can be
copied as a file to another laptop to play in sequence in the firefox or
chrome web browser (without needing to log into the youtube web site)?

Another way to ask that question is to ask how does Firefox play a
pre-planned bunch of youtube videos in sequence?

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<kuvil8Fnne4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77181&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77181

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 08:53:55 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 08:53 UTC

Patrick wrote:

> Is there a windows program that can create on one desktop a youtube
> playlist text file (of maybe a dozen or two dozen video urls) which can be
> copied as a file to another laptop to play in sequence in the firefox or
> chrome web browser (without needing to log into the youtube web site)?
>
> Another way to ask that question is to ask how does Firefox play a
> pre-planned bunch of youtube videos in sequence?

why not create a playlist within youtube, then you can send that URL to
any computer?

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<ume98k$3ep37$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77182&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77182

From: klee@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 11:17:55 +0100
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 10:17 UTC

On 26.12.2023 04:11, Patrick wrote:

> Is there a windows program that can create on one desktop a youtube
> playlist text file (of maybe a dozen or two dozen video urls) which can be
> copied as a file to another laptop to play in sequence in the firefox or
> chrome web browser (without needing to log into the youtube web site)?

Don't create the playlist but download the videos on your PC
and store them on an USB stick. Then you can watch the videos
on your laptop without any advertising and you can use a real
video player (with fast forward, adjustment of brightness and
contrast, equalizer and more).

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umf74e$lqnn$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77200&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77200

From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 12:47:41 -0600
 by: Patrick - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 18:47 UTC

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 08:53:55 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Another way to ask that question is to ask how does Firefox play a
>> pre-planned bunch of youtube videos in sequence?
>
> why not create a playlist within youtube, then you can send that URL to
> any computer?

If it was easy to do it wouldn't need a hundred videos telling you how. :-(
https://youtu.be/0Ox-D5ZbWos
https://youtu.be/jB1VYescG50
https://youtu.be/ft7iL8nMXAQ
https://youtu.be/z6WiPTuTg9E
https://youtu.be/3M6WJw01lmw

I tried all those first but none work without having you create an account.
That is absurd if you need Google involved just to create a list of URLs.

It should work from a text file with the browser opening up each video in
its own separate tab with only the current focused on tab being what plays.

I found this before I had asked the question which sort of works ok.
https://superuser.com/questions/385207/how-to-open-a-list-of-urls-in-firefox-or-seamonkey

There are 2 solutions there, one of which is this multiurl.bat batch file.
@echo off
for /F "eol=c tokens=1" %%i in (%1) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" %%i
Which you run by issuing the Windows command "multiurl.bat urls.txt".

The other of which is this html file which works on all browsers including
Chrome and on all the operating systems so it's a more universal solution.

You first create this "multiurl.html" file and then you open it in Firefox
with file:///c:/share/multiurl.html (using the forward slases as shown).
<!doctype html>
<head>
<title>Open Windows</title>
<script>
function openWindow(){
var x = document.getElementById('a').value.split('\n');
for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++)
if (x[i].indexOf('.') > 0)
if (x[i].indexOf('://') < 0)
window.open('http://'+x[i]);
else
window.open(x[i]);
} </script>
html, body
{ height : 99%;
width : 99%;
}

textarea
{ height : 80%;
width : 90%;
} </style>
</head>
<textarea id="a"></textarea>
<input type="button" value="Open Windows" onClick="openWindow()">
<input type="button" value="Clear"
onClick="document.getElementById('a').value=''">

You paste the "urls.txt" into the entry window & press the "Open Windows"
button to open each youtube url in a separate browser tab. It has a problem
depending on how you've set up your browser to open multiple tabs though.

Both those are working so far (with a bit of browser setup changes to allow
multiple windows to open at the same time) where I'm kind of stuck in
Windows 10 not seeing the share that I made to put the urls.txt file.

The problem I'm running into now is the Microsoft instructions for setting
up a share between two Windows 10 computers on the same network assume you
have many other things already done which I don't have on my computers.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/file-sharing-over-a-network-in-windows-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf

These sharing instructions are a little better because they take into
account that I have different user names and different passwords on the two
computers on the network but I haven't gotten the sharing to work yet.
https://www.technewstoday.com/how-to-access-files-from-another-computer-on-the-same-network/

So right now it's only working on the desktop but not on the laptop.

I'm trying to keep everything inside my home as there's no need to hop
thousands of miles to Google headquarters just to pass a text file from
downstairs to upstairs on my own private local area network, is there?

The laptop isn't even seeing the share so something must be wrong.
It should be easy to pass a file on my own network & open in Firefox.

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umf847$lush$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77201&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77201

From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 13:04:39 -0600
 by: Patrick - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:04 UTC

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 11:17:55 +0100, Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
> Don't create the playlist but download the videos on your PC
> and store them on an USB stick. Then you can watch the videos
> on your laptop without any advertising and you can use a real
> video player (with fast forward, adjustment of brightness and
> contrast, equalizer and more).

That works and in fact is what I do currently which is I use a program
called youtube downloader (yt-dlp.exe,ffmpeg.exe,ffplay.exe,ffprobe.exe)
to download/rip/convert & then play videos in sequence with MPC-BE64.exe.

As you said, that requires either sharing to work or a USB stick
where I'm trying to be as efficient & universal so sharing is better.

But I can't get Windows sharing to work yet because, I think, you need a
lot of setup that Microsoft doesn't seem to think you need to do but you do
because who has the same user name & password on every PC in the house?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18442846/how-to-access-shared-folder-without-giving-username-and-password

I don't. I wanted to set it up as "guest" without a password but the second
computer (a laptop) doesn't even see the share on the first PC (a desktop).

So sharing isn't as simple as Microsoft makes it out to seem to be.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/111783-share-files-folders-over-network-windows-10-a.html

What I want to do is create a daily playlist while I'm on the desktop
downstairs which is just a text file filled with URLs to last the night.

Then I want to open the laptop on the night table and access that text
playlist file over my local lan and have it play the videos in order.

Right now (see my other post) I have it playing one video only per tab.

And it only does that on the desktop because I can't yet get the laptop to
even see the share (let alone the file) I made following instructions.
https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2020/02/28/how-to-share-a-folder-on-a-private-network-in-windows-10

So I have a long way to go to get Firefox to play a list of videos in
sequence from a text file that I put in they desktop share folder.
@echo off
for /F "eol=c tokens=1" %%i in (%1) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" %%i
Which you run by issuing the Windows command "multiurl.bat urls.txt".

It should be easy. But it's not. But maybe it is. I don't know yet.
That's why I'm asking for help.

The two tasks are creating a command for Firefox to play a list of URLs in
sequence & the second is getting that url text file from one PC to another.

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<kv0mv7Fs1mcU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77202&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77202

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:13:41 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:13 UTC

Patrick wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> why not create a playlist within youtube
>
> If it was easy to do it wouldn't need a hundred videos telling you how.
> I tried all those first but none work without having you create an account.
> That is absurd if you need Google involved just to create a list of URLs.

Is it too much hassle to create a throw-away google account *just* for
your playlists? If so, then maybe something other than youtube is
suited for you?

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umf9in$m3l8$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77203&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77203

From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 13:29:27 -0600
 by: Patrick - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:29 UTC

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:13:41 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
>> If it was easy to do it wouldn't need a hundred videos telling you how.
>> I tried all those first but none work without having you create an account.
>> That is absurd if you need Google involved just to create a list of URLs.
>
> Is it too much hassle to create a throw-away google account *just* for
> your playlists? If so, then maybe something other than youtube is
> suited for you?

All Firefox has to do is play a series of given youtube URLs in sequence.

I know some people who only make right turns when they're driving in the
city because left turns are a little harder to make than right turns.

It's the same that you're suggesting, since it's a little easier to log
into a Google server so that you can create a daily playlist on youtube.

But logging into Google should be unnecessary to create a daily playlist.
Just like always turning right to go left is unnecessary to just turn left.

If there was a Windows youtube app that played a list of youtube URLs, that
would work (which is why I had also added the freeware newsgroup to this).

Is there a Windows youtube app that will play a list of URLs in sequence?
If not, I'm stuck with doing it in Firefox reading from a url text file.

Unfortunately, I don't yet have a Windows command that plays the URLs in
sequence using the Firefox web browser to read in the text file of URLs.

The closest I can find so far (which isn't the same) are these suggestions.
https://superuser.com/questions/385207/how-to-open-a-list-of-urls-in-firefox-or-seamonkey

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<slrnuomar9.8l0.carlf@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77204&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77204

From: carlf@panix.com (Carl Fink)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:37:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Carl Fink - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:37 UTC

On 2023-12-26, Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote:

> All Firefox has to do is play a series of given youtube URLs in sequence.
[snip]

> If there was a Windows youtube app that played a list of youtube URLs, that
> would work (which is why I had also added the freeware newsgroup to this).

Have you tried the free VLC, which can play YouTube videos when handed a
URL?
--
Carl Fink carl@finknetwork.com
https://reasonablyliterate.com https://nitpicking.com

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umfa4i$3j9bm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77205&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77205

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 14:38:58 -0500
 by: Big Al - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:38 UTC

On 12/26/23 02:29 PM, Patrick wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:13:41 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
>>> If it was easy to do it wouldn't need a hundred videos telling you how. I tried all those first but none work without
>>> having you create an account.
>>> That is absurd if you need Google involved just to create a list of URLs.
>>
>> Is it too much hassle to create a throw-away google account *just* for your playlists?  If so, then maybe something
>> other than youtube is suited for you?
>
> All Firefox has to do is play a series of given youtube URLs in sequence.
>
> I know some people who only make right turns when they're driving in the
> city because left turns are a little harder to make than right turns.
>
> It's the same that you're suggesting, since it's a little easier to log
> into a Google server so that you can create a daily playlist on youtube.
>
> But logging into Google should be unnecessary to create a daily playlist.
> Just like always turning right to go left is unnecessary to just turn left.
>
> If there was a Windows youtube app that played a list of youtube URLs, that
> would work (which is why I had also added the freeware newsgroup to this).
>
> Is there a Windows youtube app that will play a list of URLs in sequence?
> If not, I'm stuck with doing it in Firefox reading from a url text file.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't yet have a Windows command that plays the URLs in
> sequence using the Firefox web browser to read in the text file of URLs.
>
> The closest I can find so far (which isn't the same) are these suggestions.
> https://superuser.com/questions/385207/how-to-open-a-list-of-urls-in-firefox-or-seamonkey
My son has his own youtube videos he posts, family, kids etc. They all go to his 'account' in youtube.
If I search for his name in youtube, I get all his videos and youtube will just play them in order.

If you can expand on that.... or if it even helps.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umfabs$3j9bm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77206&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77206

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 14:42:52 -0500
 by: Big Al - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:42 UTC

On 12/26/23 02:04 PM, Patrick wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 11:17:55 +0100, Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
>> Don't create the playlist but download the videos on your PC
>> and store them on an USB stick. Then you can watch the videos
>> on your laptop without any advertising and you can use a real
>> video player (with fast forward, adjustment of brightness and
>> contrast, equalizer and more).
>
> That works and in fact is what I do currently which is I use a program
> called youtube downloader (yt-dlp.exe,ffmpeg.exe,ffplay.exe,ffprobe.exe)
> to download/rip/convert & then play videos in sequence with MPC-BE64.exe.
>
> As you said, that requires either sharing to work or a USB stick
> where I'm trying to be as efficient & universal so sharing is better.
>
> But I can't get Windows sharing to work yet because, I think, you need a
> lot of setup that Microsoft doesn't seem to think you need to do but you do
> because who has the same user name & password on every PC in the house?
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18442846/how-to-access-shared-folder-without-giving-username-and-password
>
> I don't. I wanted to set it up as "guest" without a password but the second
> computer (a laptop) doesn't even see the share on the first PC (a desktop).
>
> So sharing isn't as simple as Microsoft makes it out to seem to be.
> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/111783-share-files-folders-over-network-windows-10-a.html
>
> What I want to do is create a daily playlist while I'm on the desktop
> downstairs which is just a text file filled with URLs to last the night.
>
> Then I want to open the laptop on the night table and access that text
> playlist file over my local lan and have it play the videos in order.
>
> Right now (see my other post) I have it playing one video only per tab.
>
> And it only does that on the desktop because I can't yet get the laptop to
> even see the share (let alone the file) I made following instructions.
> https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2020/02/28/how-to-share-a-folder-on-a-private-network-in-windows-10
>
> So I have a long way to go to get Firefox to play a list of videos in
> sequence from a text file that I put in they desktop share folder.
> @echo off for /F "eol=c tokens=1" %%i in (%1) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" %%i
> Which you run by issuing the Windows command "multiurl.bat urls.txt".
>
> It should be easy. But it's not. But maybe it is. I don't know yet.
> That's why I'm asking for help.
>
> The two tasks are creating a command for Firefox to play a list of URLs in
> sequence & the second is getting that url text file from one PC to another.
Do you have one drive or google drive to share around the pc's?

--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umfe7t$3js4q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77215&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77215

From: klee@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 21:49:00 +0100
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:49 UTC

On 26.12.2023 20:04, Patrick wrote:

> That works and in fact is what I do currently which is I use a program
> called youtube downloader (yt-dlp.exe,ffmpeg.exe,ffplay.exe,ffprobe.exe)
> to download/rip/convert & then play videos in sequence with MPC-BE64.exe.

There is no need to "rip/convert" anything. Just use youtube downloader
(or a Firefox plug-in) to download the videos.

> As you said, that requires either sharing to work or a USB stick
> where I'm trying to be as efficient & universal so sharing is better.

But you can share the USB stick. Just plug the USB stick into the
DSL modem/router and you can access it by any PC in the local network.

> I don't. I wanted to set it up as "guest" without a password but the second
> computer (a laptop) doesn't even see the share on the first PC (a desktop).

You only have to enter the password once, Windows does remember it.

> What I want to do is create a daily playlist while I'm on the desktop
> downstairs which is just a text file filled with URLs to last the night.
>
> Then I want to open the laptop on the night table and access that text
> playlist file over my local lan and have it play the videos in order.

But then you have to manually press the play button and switch to
full screen mode for every video. It is much simpler to store all the
videos on the shared USB stick and use a video player which plays
them all in sequence and full screen mode. I use the portable version
of Pot-Player as video player. If you exit the player, it resumes
next day at the same position you stopped the video.

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umflso$nk9m$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77221&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77221

From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 16:59:36 -0600
 by: Patrick - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 22:59 UTC

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:37:13 -0000 (UTC), Carl Fink wrote:
>> If there was a Windows youtube app that played a list of youtube URLs, that
>> would work (which is why I had also added the freeware newsgroup to this).
>
> Have you tried the free VLC, which can play YouTube videos when handed a
> URL?

What? Really? I just ran VLC (which has been installed forever, and it came
up with a Santa hat on the orange traffic cone - how do they know it's
Christmas in an app that was installed years ago?) to pop in the URL file.

I put these into url.txt and used VLC 3.0.11 Vetinari on Windows 10 to
Media -> Open File -> url.txt but it gave errors for every URL in the file.

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL
'https://www.youtube.com/get_video_info?video_id=jB1VYescG50'. Check the
log for details.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL
'https://www.youtube.com/get_video_info?video_id=z6WiPTuTg9E'. Check the
log for details.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL
'https://www.youtube.com/get_video_info?video_id=3M6WJw01lmw'. Check the
log for details.

It kept looping so I stopped it after a while. Digging around I see that
there is a Media -> Open Network Stream where I pasted the youtube URL but
it gave the same errors as it did when I tried to open the url text file.

I noticed there's one extension and a host of plugins where all mine must
have been put there by default long ago when VLC was originally installed.

Googling for the VLC error message I found this helpful hint
https://youtu.be/jkazUn3Muig
Which suggests replacing the old youtube.lua with an updated youtube.lua.
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=161198
C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\youtube.lua
Which I didn't have (mine had youtube.luac from 6/4/2020).

Googling around, this site tells me to delete the "youtube.luac" file.
https://thegeekpage.com/vlc-media-player-cannot-play-youtube-videos/
And to replace it with this youtube.lua file instead (missing the "c").
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/raw/master/share/lua/playlist/youtube.lua

The first test worked when I pasted in the youtube URL
Media -> Open Network Stream -> https://youtu.be/90TBjR6ik50
But every test using that menu failed when I tried multiple youtube URLs.

But then I went back to my original approach now that the youtube.luac file
was deleted in favor of the new youtube.lua file (whatever these files do).
Media -> Open File -> url.txt

That actually seems to work now but I wasn't sure as these are long youtube
videos so it may take me a few tries to see if they automatically go to the
next video after the first ends. What I need is a series of short videos.
https://youtu.be/Zcum65ln6sk (10 seconds long)
https://youtu.be/AicvHdWIDP8 (13 seconds long)
https://youtu.be/22z31vdqnWI (20 seconds long)

It seems to work. Thank you for figuring out that there is a youtube player
on Windows which will read in a url.txt file and sequentially play videos.

The separate problem of setting up a share I can take up elsewhere now that
I have a dedicated Windows youtube url player that reads from a text file.

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<1rc9yonsskfss$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77224&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77224

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:37:49 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 02:37 UTC

Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote:

> There are 2 solutions there, one of which is this multiurl.bat batch file.
> @echo off
> for /F "eol=c tokens=1" %%i in (%1) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" %%i
> Which you run by issuing the Windows command "multiurl.bat urls.txt".

I don't see that will pend video playing until the current video ends
playing. There is no sequence. The for-loop will open N instances of
the web browser for the N entries in the text file. You are passing a
URL to the web browser, and then opening another instance of the web
browser to load the next URL, and so on. Have you actually tried this
batch script?

> The other of which is this html file which works on all browsers
> including Chrome and on all the operating systems so it's a more
> universal solution.
>
> You first create this "multiurl.html" file and then you open it in Firefox
> with file:///c:/share/multiurl.html (using the forward slases as shown).
> <!doctype html>
> <head>
> <title>Open Windows</title>
> <script>
> function openWindow(){
> var x = document.getElementById('a').value.split('\n');
> for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++)
> if (x[i].indexOf('.') > 0)
> if (x[i].indexOf('://') < 0)
> window.open('http://'+x[i]);
> else
> window.open(x[i]);
> }
> </script>
> html, body
> {
> height : 99%;
> width : 99%;
> }
>
> textarea
> {
> height : 80%;
> width : 90%;
> }
> </head>
> <textarea id="a"></textarea>
> <input type="button" value="Open Windows" onClick="openWindow()">
> <input type="button" value="Clear"
> onClick="document.getElementById('a').value=''">

That opens a new window (or tab) for each entry in the input list.
Again, that does not open 1 window to play 1 video and pend the next
video playback until the current one completes. Without actually
running the HTML code, looks like it will open a new window (or tab) for
each item in the list. You end up with multiple browser windows all
concurrently playing videos.

You asked "to play in sequence". Opening multiple windows or tabs at
the same time with each concurrently playing a video is not playing them
"in sequence". To play in sequence means to start playing the 1st entry
in the list until the video ends, and then start playing the 2nd video
until it ends, and so on.

Seems you need to compile a list of URLs to the videos to put in a file,
and then feed that file to a local media player as its playlist. I see
you tried that with VLC, but incurred errors in VLC finding the video
stream source.

I just tried to copy some Youtube videos using jaksta Media Recorder.
It captures the video stream to record it instead of having to play it
in a web browser, or capture the screen or doc window in a web browser
(which is screen capturing which results in also recording artifacts,
like stalls, jitter, noise, ads, the mouse pointer moving across the
screen, and so on). It could not capture any Youtube videos. It's been
months since I last recorded anything from Youtube. After some
troubleshooting, I found Google did something to make it difficult for
stream capture tools to snare videos from Youtube. Once I updated the
extraction engine in jaksta, Youtube videos were captured okay. But
other tools, like VLC trying to playing with a given MRL (Media Resource
Locator) may still fail.

When I visit, for example, https://youtu.be/uI_lssmBvyQ, and right click
to use "Copy video URL", this is the URL it gives. After captured using
jaksta Media Recorder, and looking at the properties of the captured
video, it says the source for the video stream was an MP4 file at:

https://rr1---sn-vgqsknse.googlevideo.com/videoplayback?expire=1703665432&ei=uIqLZcmQFYWslu8PuJ-_2AY&ip=66.41.205.181&id=o-ACvz2xB4cJutbPCfnm_cembLwsw9mr0-M3Ap_182l5gX&itag=137&source=youtube&requiressl=yes&xpc=EgVo2aDSNQ%3D%3D&mh=RY&mm=31%2C29&mn=sn-vgqsknse%2Csn-vgqsrnsd&ms=au%2Crdu&mv=m&mvi=1&pl=19&initcwndbps=1317500&vprv=1&svpuc=1&mime=video%2Fmp4&gir=yes&clen=1760449&dur=31.999&lmt=1677772404191850&mt=1703643423&fvip=5&keepalive=yes&fexp=24007246&beids=24350018&c=IOS&txp=6219224&sparams=expire%2Cei%2Cip%2Cid%2Citag%2Csource%2Crequiressl%2Cxpc%2Cvprv%2Csvpuc%2Cmime%2Cgir%2Cclen%2Cdur%2Clmt&sig=AJfQdSswRgIhAI9cRTL7rMjje5EIrPx9aKFpUKTJUgc3SIXAKJS6QWIsAiEAowzlEDpSwR-0NDAoWJMoMr8RpFzL4vVwVYD5xcuUmjs%3D&lsparams=mh%2Cmm%2Cmn%2Cms%2Cmv%2Cmvi%2Cpl%2Cinitcwndbps&lsig=AAO5W4owRgIhAOUMYnkESmhprkWTmhIRchWJYGxuQlw9PFGL4eYMPJycAiEAzBABhV7LUrtfJTrseo3L8H00nI3lt61woPhKLZ9dSq4%3D

Youtube doesn't let me use the source URL for the video stream, because
Google doesn't want direct links. They want you to use their index
pointers (i.e., the URLs they give you). You don't get to use their
file. You get their pointer for streaming the file. The web browser,
and jaksta, connect to the streaming source, but through the redirection
Google gives you.

For "in sequence" playback to work means the player has to pend loading
subsequent videos until the current one completes. Seems you might need
an add-on in the web browser to let you have it read from a list of URLs
to play them in sequence, but that means installing the same add-on in
every web browser on the other computers where you want to view the
playlist.

If you don't want to use a web browser add-on, there are apps that will
let you specify a playlist, and play the URLs in the order you want. I
suspect they use an entry in the URL list to open the web browser with
that URL as the web browser's argument, and wait for the video top stop
playing before going to the next URL in its input list. I don't and
have not used any web browser add-ons to do sequential playback from a
list of URLs in a file, so I cannot recommend any. Same for using
external apps to read a file to load URLs sequentially in a web browser.

Why not add the URLs to a bookmark folder (to group them together). You
can export and import that bookmark folder. Then use the bookmark
folder to select a URL in whatever order you want to watch. If you use
Firefox Sync, that bookmark folder should show up under Bookmarks under
your other instances of Firefox that sync to the same Mozilla account;
however, since you expressed disgust at using a Google account to save a
playlist to a Youtube account to access from other web browsers, you
probably don't want a Mozilla account, either. In that case, export and
import the bookmarks folder. That'll work with the same web browser,
but you'll have a problem if exporting from Firefox to use in Chrome
although exporting in HTML might resolve that issue.

If you don't want to carry around a USB drive with the exported
bookmarks folder, you could upload it at one host to download at another
host. OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, and so one can let you sync your
cloud storage across computers, but you have to install their clients on
each computer (that doesn't already have them), plus, again, you'll need
accounts there to use their file storage/sync service.

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<kv208bF7c0oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77225&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77225

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 06:58:14 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 06:58 UTC

Patrick wrote:

> All Firefox has to do is play a series of given youtube URLs in sequence.

Why is it up to firefox to provide youtube features, which google
already provide if you're signed-in?

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<kv29cpF7do2U8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77227&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77227

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:34:11 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:34 UTC

Patrick wrote:

> Is there a Windows youtube app that will play a list of URLs in sequence?
> If not, I'm stuck with doing it in Firefox reading from a url text file.

You don't need to login to youtube to play a playlist, only to create
it. Any windows app for youtube is going to be unofficial.

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<tchooi97jvvneb9k5aapbtajmbh28s5u6j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77229&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77229

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:42:24 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 15:42 UTC

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:37:13 -0000 (UTC), Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com>
wrote:

>On 2023-12-26, Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote:
>
>> All Firefox has to do is play a series of given youtube URLs in sequence.
>[snip]
>
>> If there was a Windows youtube app that played a list of youtube URLs, that
>> would work (which is why I had also added the freeware newsgroup to this).
>
>Have you tried the free VLC, which can play YouTube videos when handed a
>URL?

I just looked at VLC, but I don't see where I can give it a YouTube
URL. Can you tell me?

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<tihooihki2iuc25lurvipc437qu70sk1pb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77230&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77230

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:45:45 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 15:45 UTC

On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:42:24 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:37:13 -0000 (UTC), Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On 2023-12-26, Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All Firefox has to do is play a series of given youtube URLs in sequence.
>>[snip]
>>
>>> If there was a Windows youtube app that played a list of youtube URLs, that
>>> would work (which is why I had also added the freeware newsgroup to this).
>>
>>Have you tried the free VLC, which can play YouTube videos when handed a
>>URL?
>

>I just looked at VLC, but I don't see where I can give it a YouTube
>URL. Can you tell me?

Never mind. A web search just found the answer to my question: You can
use the Media Open Network Stream feature and enter the video URL to
play it. You just enter a YouTube address like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfndS5SKUs4 and it will stream and
play the video for you. It also supports many other video sharing
websites.

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umhpig$10tjj$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77231&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77231

From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 12:14:39 -0600
 by: Patrick - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 18:14 UTC

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:37:49 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:
> Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote:
>
>> There are 2 solutions there, one of which is this multiurl.bat batch file.
>> @echo off
>> for /F "eol=c tokens=1" %%i in (%1) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" %%i
>> Which you run by issuing the Windows command "multiurl.bat urls.txt".
>
> I don't see that will pend video playing until the current video ends
> playing. There is no sequence.

You're right. I was too hopeful for Windows Firefox. So far I haven't found
a way to make Firefox play a locally stored youtube playlist in sequence.

> That opens a new window (or tab) for each entry in the input list.
> Again, that does not open 1 window to play 1 video and pend the next
> video playback until the current one completes.

You're right. There must be some other way to get Windows Firefox to
sequentially play a locally stored playlist containing a list of urls.

> You asked "to play in sequence". Opening multiple windows or tabs at
> the same time with each concurrently playing a video is not playing them
> "in sequence". To play in sequence means to start playing the 1st entry
> in the list until the video ends, and then start playing the 2nd video
> until it ends, and so on.

So far the only suggestion that plays a locally stored playlist file of
youtube urls in sequence was Carl Fink's VideoLan Client player suggestion.
https://get.videolan.org/vlc/3.0.20/win64/vlc-3.0.20-win64.exe
> Seems you need to compile a list of URLs to the videos to put in a file,
> and then feed that file to a local media player as its playlist. I see
> you tried that with VLC, but incurred errors in VLC finding the video
> stream source.

Everyone, not just me, will incur VLC lua errors but they're easily fixed.
https://thegeekpage.com/vlc-media-player-cannot-play-youtube-videos/

I started with a brand new VLC installation on my old HP Stream laptop.
https://mirror.rasanegar.com/videolan/vlc/3.0.20/win64/vlc-3.0.20-win64.exe

After installing the newest VLC on the D: drive (which is a flash sd card
because the HP Stream C drives are filled up with the Windows system), VLC
worked even without the youtube.lua file on some videos but not on others.
VLC: Media -> Open Network Stream -> https://youtu.be/rB_r2uhRu2Q

Which means even on a brand new VLC installation, you still should delete &
replace the VLC youtube.luac file with the downloaded youtube.lua file.
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/raw/master/share/lua/playlist/youtube.lua

After you replace the VLC\lua\playlist\youtube.luac file with the
downloaded youtube.lua file, VLC works /almost perfectly/ to play any set
of locally stored youtube url playlists in sequence all night long.

The only problem is it plays in full resolution which is OK on the desktop
but on the lousy processing power of the HP stream, it stutters too much.

> I just tried to copy some Youtube videos using jaksta Media Recorder.
> It captures the video stream to record it instead of having to play it
> in a web browser, or capture the screen or doc window in a web browser
> (which is screen capturing which results in also recording artifacts,
> like stalls, jitter, noise, ads, the mouse pointer moving across the
> screen, and so on). It could not capture any Youtube videos.

The VLC player seems to "capture" an automatic playlist which it can then
save in a variety of fancy formats which might solve some of the issues.

The VLC player has its own robust playlist function which I didn't try yet
so I'm hoping the hiccups can be solved when I start using that feature.
VLC: Media -> Save Playlist to File (xspf,m3u,m3u8,html) -> urls

One of those formats might even work with FF if it turns out that Windows
FF is capable of reading them to play youtube videos in sequence from it.

The problem I'm working on now is laptop specific, in that the HP Stream
hardware is so slow that default-sized youtube videos stutter on high res.

> When I visit, for example, https://youtu.be/uI_lssmBvyQ, and right click
> to use "Copy video URL", this is the URL it gives. After captured using
> jaksta Media Recorder, and looking at the properties of the captured
> video, it says the source for the video stream was an MP4 file at:
>
> https://rr1---sn-vgqsknse.googlevideo.com/videoplayback?(commands)

You are a good troubleshooter because that's exactly the kind of solution I
need to tell VLC on the HP Stream laptop to play youtube at low resolution.

I saw somewhere the way to set a lower youtube resolution may be to change
https://youtu.be/mcUu3SjYRtE
to add a low resolution command at the end of the url, which might be this
https://youtu.be/mcUu3SjYRtE&afmt=55

But I have to check that out so someone already knows how, let the rest of
us in on the secret as you want to set your options in the youtube url.

Otherwise VLC plays the video at full resolution all the time, which works
for my desktop but it is too much for the cheap HP Stream laptop to play.
https://youtu.be/l0CftKYeVXc (Auto is 480p according to this video)

That video shows how to use a Chrome extension to permanently set quality.
https://youtu.be/l0CftKYeVXc?t=75

The problem is the quality gear icon isn't in the VLC player anywhere,
but there is a caching setting set to 1000ms which I changed to 9000ms.

> Youtube doesn't let me use the source URL for the video stream, because
> Google doesn't want direct links. They want you to use their index
> pointers (i.e., the URLs they give you). You don't get to use their
> file. You get their pointer for streaming the file. The web browser,
> and jaksta, connect to the streaming source, but through the redirection
> Google gives you.

On a desktop, VLC works fine streaming this kind of default youtube URL.
https://youtu.be/TAhTttsQZ54

But on my very-low-end HP Stream hardware, a default youtube video stutters
too much at the default 480p resolution (which didn't happen in FF because
I was able to set it to low resolution inside the Firefox youtube web gui).

I first set the VLC cache to 9000ms but even that didn't stop stuttering.
VLC: Media -> Stream -> Network -> Show more options -> Caching -> 9000ms

What I need to look up is how to select low resolution in the youtube URL.

> For "in sequence" playback to work means the player has to pend loading
> subsequent videos until the current one completes. Seems you might need
> an add-on in the web browser to let you have it read from a list of URLs
> to play them in sequence, but that means installing the same add-on in
> every web browser on the other computers where you want to view the
> playlist.

Like many people, I dislike plugins/extensions as much as I dislike being
required to log into servers just to access a locally stored playlist file.

I think either Firefox or a Windows youtube player should be able to do
something as simple as sequence a set of video urls in a local file.

It's not like a playlist is something from Mars to a Firefox developer.
In my opinion, it should be as simple as "Firefox: File -> Open playlist".

I wouldn't be so hard on Firefox if there was a dedicated youtube player,
but if there was, there would never be a need to use FF for youtube.

> If you don't want to use a web browser add-on, there are apps that will
> let you specify a playlist, and play the URLs in the order you want. I
> suspect they use an entry in the URL list to open the web browser with
> that URL as the web browser's argument, and wait for the video top stop
> playing before going to the next URL in its input list. I don't and
> have not used any web browser add-ons to do sequential playback from a
> list of URLs in a file, so I cannot recommend any. Same for using
> external apps to read a file to load URLs sequentially in a web browser.

You are correct there is a de-facto youtube player on Windows, as I was
mostly successful using Carl Fink's VLC suggestion on the old HP Stream
laptop, which is essentially my all-night automatic youtube player.

VLC: Media -> Open File -> url.txt
Where url.txt is a locally stored text file of the form
https://youtu.be/sRn7WAGFlyg
https://youtu.be/vl780QrAdMU
https://youtu.be/kzlcq69yOLA

It works perfect on the more powerful desktop as the VideoLan Client player
is playing those videos in sequence in the default youtube resolution.

I need to add to the end of the youtube url the command to stream a lower
resolution which I saw somewhere is this cryptic command "&afmt=55".

But most others won't have that problem on better hardware which can handle
480p, but the fact that laptop isn't powerful is why it's my video player.

> Why not add the URLs to a bookmark folder (to group them together). You
> can export and import that bookmark folder. Then use the bookmark
> folder to select a URL in whatever order you want to watch. If you use
> Firefox Sync, that bookmark folder should show up under Bookmarks under
> your other instances of Firefox that sync to the same Mozilla account;
> however, since you expressed disgust at using a Google account to save a
> playlist to a Youtube account to access from other web browsers, you
> probably don't want a Mozilla account, either. In that case, export and
> import the bookmarks folder. That'll work with the same web browser,
> but you'll have a problem if exporting from Firefox to use in Chrome
> although exporting in HTML might resolve that issue.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umhpmk$10u5t$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77232&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77232

Followup: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 12:16:52 -0600
 by: Patrick - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 18:16 UTC

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 21:49:00 +0100, Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
> > Then I want to open the laptop on the night table and access that text
> > playlist file over my local lan and have it play the videos in order.
>
> But then you have to manually press the play button and switch to
> full screen mode for every video.

Not really. Firefox can play youtube in sequence. And keep the settings.
Firefox just can't (yet) play a /locally stored/ youtube playlist.

Once you have Firefox set up to play any one youtube video, the youtube
site (unfortunately or not) /remembers/ what you've played before (even
without having established an account) and it continuously plays what it
thinks are related videos (some of which are related, some not) all night.

You only have to set the volume, captions, full-screen, etc once per night.

Once you've set up Firefox, it stays set up, so if the pixel rate is 144p,
it stays at those settings for the scores of videos which play in sequence.

This means both youtube and Windows Firefox are /capable/ of playing videos
in sequence, but it won't do it (yet) for the playlist that /you/ want.

If there was a way to point Windows Firefox to a playlist file stored on
the Windows PC, that would be an instant solution to this playlist problem.

Luckily there is already a better solution than Firefox that Carl Fink
proposed, which pretty much negates needing Windows Firefox to play youtube
(if I can get VLC to stay at the lower pixel rate which Firefox will do).

Since Firefox can't play a locally stored youtube playlist in sequence,
I'll remove the FF newsgroup as I only now need to tweak the VLC settings
to make every video play in a lower resolution (VLC uses youtube defaults).

We might find out later that Firefox can play the locally stored playlist
file that VLC outputs (xspf,m3u,m3u8,html) and then we can include it back.

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umhpsl$10uqp$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77233&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77233

Followup: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 12:20:05 -0600
 by: Patrick - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 18:20 UTC

On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 06:58:14 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
>> All Firefox has to do is play a series of given youtube URLs in sequence.
>
> Why is it up to firefox to provide youtube features, which google
> already provide if you're signed-in?

This isn't a blame situation. I wanted to use firefox to watch youtube.

If Firefox can't play a locally stored set of URLs in sequence, then I will
use something else that can play a locally stored file of youtube URLs.

It would seem to be something that Windows Firefox /should/ be able to do.

But we already found a (mostly working) solution in Carl Fink's suggestion
that there is a free youtube player on Windows that I had not known about.

So I don't need Widnows Firefox to play youtube videos ever again because
the VLC solution works better in that it can sequence the videos as I wish.

Since FF can't sequence urls, I'll drop the Firefox ng from future replies.
(But Firefox did have one advantage that I haven't gotten VLC to do yet.)

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umhudu$11hak$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77234&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77234

From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 13:37:34 -0600
 by: Patrick - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 19:37 UTC

On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:34:11 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Is there a Windows youtube app that will play a list of URLs in sequence?
>> If not, I'm stuck with doing it in Firefox reading from a url text file.
>
> You don't need to login to youtube to play a playlist, only to create
> it.

That's useful information because maybe then I can edit a local file to
look like a youtube playlist as long as Firefox streams URLs in sequence.

The Windows app for youtube that Carl Fink suggested seems to replace
Firefox as a youtube playlist player because VLC does not require you to
log into anything in order to stream locally stored youtube playlist URLs.

> Any windows app for youtube is going to be unofficial.

Too bad there's no official youtube Windows app but the VLC player that
Carl Fink suggested is effectively a free Windows youtube URL play anyway.

That unofficial Windows youtube streamer does not require you to log into
anything in order to create or stream a locally stored youtube playlist.

Since VLC can save its playlist in multiple formats, maybe one of those
formats can be loaded into Firefox to stream youtube urls in sequence?
VLC: Media -> Save Playlist to File (xspf,m3u,m3u8,html) -> urls

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umhv4h$19ane$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77236&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77236

From: this@is.invalid (david)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 12:49:37 -0700
 by: david - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 19:49 UTC

Using <news:umfa4i$3j9bm$1@dont-email.me>, Big Al wrote:

>> The closest I can find so far (which isn't the same) are these suggestions.
>> https://superuser.com/questions/385207/how-to-open-a-list-of-urls-in-firefox-or-seamonkey
> My son has his own youtube videos he posts, family, kids etc. They all go to his 'account' in youtube.
> If I search for his name in youtube, I get all his videos and youtube will just play them in order.

There might be a way to use the youtube 'fmt' directive to play all your
videos in vlc at the low resolution that you're using when you added the
fmt to the end of each of the youtube urls in the text playlist (&afmt=55).

If you look at the youtube.lua file that is referred to in that link above
[https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/raw/master/share/lua/playlist/youtube.lua]
you'll see it's just a text file that maybe you can tweak if you know lua.

I don't know the lua language but it seems readable so maybe you can change
the section on the 'fmt' directive so that it always plays at a low res?

-- Pick the most suited format available
function get_fmt( fmt_list )
local prefres = vlc.var.inherit(nil, "preferred-resolution")
if prefres < 0 then
return nil
end

local fmt = nil
for itag,height in string.gmatch( fmt_list, "(%d+)/%d+x(%d+)[^,]*" ) do
-- Apparently formats are listed in quality
-- order, so we take the first one that works,
-- or fallback to the lowest quality
fmt = itag
if tonumber(height) <= prefres then
break
end
end
return fmt
end

The only other place I see 'preferred-resolution' used is this long section
but this lua language is beyond my comprehension so others might help you.

-- Pick suitable stream among available formats
function pick_stream( formats, fmt )
if not formats then
return nil
end

-- Remove subobject fields to ease parsing of stream object array
formats = string.gsub( formats, '"[^"]-":{[^{}]-},?', '' )

if tonumber( fmt ) then
-- Legacy match from URL parameter
fmt = tonumber( fmt )
for stream in string.gmatch( formats, '{(.-)}' ) do
local itag = tonumber( string.match( stream, '"itag":(%d+)' ) )
if fmt == itag then
return stream
end
end
return nil
else
-- Compare the different available formats listed with our
-- quality targets
local prefres = vlc.var.inherit( nil, "preferred-resolution" )
local bestres, pick
for stream in string.gmatch( formats, '{(.-)}' ) do
local height = tonumber( string.match( stream, '"height":(%d+)' ) )

-- We have no preference mechanism for audio formats,
-- so just pick the first one
if fmt == "audio" and not height then
return stream
end

-- Better than nothing
if ( not pick and fmt ~= "video" ) or ( height and ( not bestres
-- Better quality within limits
or ( ( prefres < 0 or height <= prefres ) and height > bestres )
-- Lower quality more suited to limits
or ( prefres > -1 and bestres > prefres and height < bestres )
) ) then
bestres = height
pick = stream
end
end
return pick
end
end

You might be able to set a 'preferred-resolution' in that lua language
(if you can determine what the 'fmt' directive is for low resolution).

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<umj35h$153sp$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77241&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77241

From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 00:04:33 -0600
 by: Patrick - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 06:04 UTC

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 14:42:52 -0500, Big Al wrote:
>> The two tasks are creating a command for Firefox to play a list of URLs in
>> sequence & the second is getting that url text file from one PC to another.
>
> Do you have one drive or google drive to share around the pc's?

Thanks for that question but I don't have any google accounts and I don't
want them because I think I should be able to do what I want without them.

All I am doing is sharing a file between two computers on my own local
network but I'll take that up separately as Windows does share files
(I just haven't gotten it to work yet - but it's probably a setup issue).

As for streaming youtube videos in sequence, it's a so commonly done that I
was very surprised to find Firefox is unable to do something that simple
but the Video Lan Client youtube player seems to stream almost perfect.

So for most people the problem is solved by either creating a youtube
playlist inside of VLC exported as urls.(xspf,m3u,m3u8,html) or by
creating a plain old text file (urls.txt) with the youtube URLs in order.

While that works on the more powerful desktop, I have an additional problem
that my HP Stream laptop is underpowered so I have to force a low quality,
which, surprisingly can be done inside the Firefox GUI but not the VLC GUI.

But all I need to do is learn what the youtube quality URL parameters are
which I'll test tonight to see if VLC plays those videos without stutter.

I was looking at the "fmt" command at the end of the youtube url which is
only partially working I think because the "fmt=55" no longer seems to
exist for youtube urls. It seems from this that fmt is being deprecated.
https://gist.github.com/AgentOak/34d47c65b1d28829bb17c24c04a0096f#file-youtube_formats-md
But it seems to be what the youtube downloader uses so maybe not.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/486297/how-to-select-video-quality-from-youtube-dl

But there's also a "vq" youtube video quality url extension also.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10229114/youtube-how-to-force-480p-video-quality-in-embed-link-iframe
144p: &vq=tiny
240p: &vq=small
360p: &vq=medium
480p: &vq=large
720p: &vq=hd720
1080p: &vq=hd1080
1440p: vq=hd1440
2160p: vq=hd2160
auto: vq=auto

The video quality is appended to the end of each url in the urls.txt file
such that a youtube url of the form "https://youtu.be/pvE618FXuho" becomes
144p: https://youtu.be/pvE618FXuho&vq=tiny
240p: https://youtu.be/pvE618FXuho&vq=small
360p: https://youtu.be/pvE618FXuho&vq=medium
480p: https://youtu.be/pvE618FXuho&vq=large
720p: https://youtu.be/pvE618FXuho&vq=hd720
1080p: https://youtu.be/pvE618FXuho&vq=hd1080
1440p: https://youtu.be/pvE618FXuho&vq=hd1440
2160p: https://youtu.be/pvE618FXuho&vq=hd2160
auto: https://youtu.be/pvE618FXuho&vq=auto

Lucky those are easy to remember (video quality = tiny,small,medium, etc).

I'll try it tonight where the only problems left are sharing across PCs
(which is a setup issue) and guessing at the right low-res video quality
(as it has to be common enough so that youtube has that quality available).

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<slrnuor2cg.fi4.carlf@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77248&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77248

From: carlf@panix.com (Carl Fink)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 14:43:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Carl Fink - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 14:43 UTC

On 2023-12-26, Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote:

> It seems to work. Thank you for figuring out that there is a youtube player
> on Windows which will read in a url.txt file and sequentially play videos.

Technically, I mentioned a player that is available on almost all
non-proprietary platforms. I personally use it on Linux way more often than
Windows. :-)

Glad it worked.
--
Carl Fink carl@finknetwork.com
https://reasonablyliterate.com https://nitpicking.com
If you want to make a point, somebody will take the point and stab you with it.
-Kenne Estes

Re: browser playlist in sequence on another computer

<uml0o2$1bh8h$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77255&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77255

From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 17:35:31 -0600
 by: Patrick - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 23:35 UTC

On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 14:43:28 -0000 (UTC), Carl Fink wrote:
> Technically, I mentioned a player that is available on almost all
> non-proprietary platforms. I personally use it on Linux way more often than
> Windows. :-)
>
> Glad it worked.

Thank you for helping me solve the problem of having a youtube player on a
PC where the VLC solution you suggested works for every platform equally.

All you do is create a urls.txt file with one line per streamed video.
https://youtu.be/Cz1paozgy4k
https://youtu.be/mcUu3SjYRtE
https://youtu.be/kzlcq69yOLA
https://youtu.be/rB_r2uhRu2Q

There's no need to use Firefox (or any browser) to play youtube videos
anymore, as the browsers are apparently incapable of /sequencing/ URLs.

If someone asks the question of a youtube player, it effectively exists.
Q: Is there a free youtube player on the pc?
A: Yes. VLC can stream videos (or sequentially stream a series of URLs).

With VLC, the main problem is solved where a side issue I have is sharing
the URL.txt file between PCs on my local network (which I have been doing
with a USB stick until I get Windows networking to work as a share).

Also, the HP Stream laptop is anemic so I have to limit the streamed
youtube video to less than that of the youtube default with a command.
144p: https://youtu.be/vl780QrAdMU&vq=tiny
240p: https://youtu.be/vl780QrAdMU&vq=small
360p: https://youtu.be/vl780QrAdMU&vq=medium
480p: https://youtu.be/vl780QrAdMU&vq=large
720p: https://youtu.be/vl780QrAdMU&vq=hd720
1080p: https://youtu.be/vl780QrAdMU&vq=hd1080
1440p: https://youtu.be/vl780QrAdMU&vq=hd1440
2160p: https://youtu.be/vl780QrAdMU&vq=hd2160
auto: https://youtu.be/vl780QrAdMU&vq=auto

Where I just have to find out by trial and error which is most supported.

Each night I improve the process where last night I had appended "&vq=tiny"
to each of the dozen or thereabouts video streams I wanted to play all
night (because my HP Stream is underpowered and it stutters on large data).

That worked for about 80% of the URLs, so I probably need to pick a larger
size (such as "&vq=small" or "&vq=medium") to ensure better compatibility.

To test if Firefox could eat the output from VLC, I saved the playlist as
url.txt (this is the original playlist, one youtube URL per line)
url.html
url.m3u
url.m3u8
url.xspf

Then I read each one in a separate tab in Firefox with "File -> Open File".
url.txt (Firefox simply displayed each line item as it was in the file)
url.html (Firefox numbered & displayed the title & time for each line item)
url.m3u (Firefox asked to open up the file in VLC & then VLC played each)
url.m3u8 (same as for m3u)
url.xspf (Firefox displayed what appears to be XML source for each entry)

While what I was hoping might happen did not happen (ie that Firefox would
stream the youtube videos in sequence) two of the formats did provide data.

The HTML format showed me zero times for those streams which failed,
showing zero size for each of them, which is a good "log" file of which did
not support the "&vq=tiny" command.

The XSPF format gave quite a lot of detail (perhaps the original paragraph
that the uploader provided) about each video.

But unfortunately, none of the VLC output playlist formats when read
directly into Firefox caused Firefox to stream the video URLs in sequence.

Firefox can't sequentially stream a text file of a list of youtube URLs.
But VLC can.

Thanks!